Thread: You know what? Mediveal has the best music of all TW games

Default You know what? Mediveal has the best music of all TW games

I still remember the music. Especially the Arabic tunes. Bloody fantastic! It was Jeff van Dyck right? But for the life of me I can't remember a single tune from other TW titles.

And who's the composer for TW Warhammer?

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Default Re: You know what? Mediveal has the best music of all TW games

Which one? Medieval one or two? Both were composed by Jeff van Dyke and both had stellar soundtracks.

And to answer your question the composer for Warhammer is Richard Beddow, the same as Rome2 and Atilla.
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

I have to agree. The M1TW campaign map music was haunting at times with its silences in between notes. Yep, it was Jeff van Dyck.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

I think this topic or something similar has been discussed before and back then the MTW-score was also popular...

Anyhow, I always felt STW1 was the most spot-on, adequate soundtrack in TW (it was so good that it was 10 years later re-used for STW2). MTW had plenty of fine tracks too, especially the Arabic/muslim ones which was really great - however MTW is a rather sprawling game in comparison to the highly focused STW - and I suppose that can be felt in the composition too? I think it lacks the same tight, well crafted focus and experience of STW as a game, and music-wise it strikes me as weaker too. RTW1 had a bunch of good tracks too but also a bunch of weaker entries as well, more so the MTW i think (it was also a more extensive score)... That is true for MTW2 as well, but even more so I think... I always felt MTW2 was a lot weaker then the RTW-soundtrack. However one should not forget that the MTW2-soundtrack is a lot bigger then the 7-8 tracks MTW1 had. It had plenty of more candidates/potentials to produce various "misses" basically... Jeff van Dyke did not create that music all alone either, if memory serves that is. Some tracks there are downright mediocre I think. ...As of Empire, I simply did not care anymore as the game itself did not work properly, was steam dependent and other things - I remember absolutely zilch of that soundtrack, that in it self certainly suggests that it was hardly very memorable, for me anyways...

In short, STW1 soundtrack for the win - while MTW1 was good, it was not as good as that... That is my take on all this...

- A

Agreed I like MTW1 the most. Also like Shoguns music as well but MTW1 is my favourite.

I also agree, MTW1 does have the best music.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

MTW1 has the best music indeed.

Followed closely by STW1, and also some of RTW's tracks were special.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

I bought it somewhere around 2004, installed it, started playing at about 2:30 in the afternoon and only noticed I was tired 12:00 noon the next day. I'd not gotten it to work after about 2009 until I bought the steam version yesterday. So many memories and the sound track is just so good. It is up there with the Morrowind soundtrack as my favourite ever.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

It was certainly atmospheric. The mechanics may be dated, but it seems to me that music from many good games of the time period could be considered timeless.

I like the Medieval 2 main menu music, but overall, I'd have to concede to Medieval for music atmosphere.