Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Napoleon: Brutal War

Default Napoleon: Brutal War

Napoleon: Brutal War

Blood & gore from direct cannon shots

My goal for this mod was to create a more atmospheric, brutal gameplay while keeping as close to the 'vanilla' flavour of the game as possible.

It now looks like a war

Better smoke courtesy of the Whiff of Sulphur mod. The battlefield now looks like a battlefield, quickly filling up with gunpowder smoke choking your little soldiers. I've tweaked/improved the explosions a little (I think). I've added blood for both muskets and cannons, battles look brutal. I know there's a blood & smoke mod but the blood is pretty weak and you hardly ever see it and the smoke doesn't linger long enough, also they always forget to add blood for cannons for some reason? I want to see some gore with my cannon balls! Now when your men get hurt, they get really, really hurt.

And sounds like a war

New death screams. The screams of agony and anguish will bellow across the battlefield as cannons tear limbs off and musketballs get lodged in ribcages. No more petty whimpers or psuedo-orgasm sounds of the vanilla game (or the echoey/low bitrate poltergeist type sounds of other sound mods I tried)

New musket sounds courtesy of Battle Chaos mod. These were left untouched as they're pretty much perfect as is; Muskets will rattle the battlefield and sound like real muskets, not cap guns you get at a 99p shop like in vanilla. Although I have added new cannon fire sounds courtesy of Diggy's ETW cannons.

Improved/normalized volume for BC mod's marching sounds, you can hear the corporals and sergeants shouting and bellowing in the background.
    Small update April, 2019:
    Sorry I just disappeared if anyone was a fan of this. I got busy at University then didn't have a PC for a long while. Anyway I'm back and started playing NTW again so thought I'd retake a look at this. More updates will be coming as I re-familiarize myself with modding as I've practically forgotten how to do most of it lol. About the original plans to mess with AI: I've noticed Bran has updated his CAI/BAI so this may not even be necessary anymore. However I've not played a campaign yet I'm starting a new one tonight. If there's something I dislike, or like and want more of, or if something can be tweaked to my tastes then I'll play around and think about incorporating.
    -Tweaked volume of some sound files. Some sounds were still a little too low or high so I've tweaked a little, notably the death screams as I feel they were way too low during ship battles for example. I can't turn them too high or they'll be too high in land battles and sound out of place. I'll tweak further as I play myself.
    -Tweaked cannon blood. While excessive blood & gore looks real cool in land battles, it looked a little ridiculous during ship battles. Unfortunately I can't see a way to differentiate between ship cannons and land cannons when it comes to blood, the game seems to use the same instructions for both. So I've halved the values. This'll be tweaked further again as I play until I get a nice balance for both land and ship cannon blood.

Small update 2, April 2019
    -Further tweaked cannon blood. I *think* I have a nice balance now between land & ship cannons. Play a ship battle and let me know if it's still a little excessive or not I'll try and fine-tune it further. I have to be careful because the game uses the same instructions for both ship and land cannons.
    -Normalized some more sounds (footsteps etc), amplified musket and cannon hit sound files by 2db. Let me know if they're too loud I'll dial it back by a db

DOWNLOAD
    https://mega.nz/#!n6YiWI4a!1LU_YiFrp...Qx7LCzc15sTo2g

To do:
    Decrease time it takes for blood spray to dissipate. I've noticed sometimes in musket impacts the blood spray lingers just a tad too long and it can sometimes look a bit funky, like the blood is defying laws of gravity. I can't remember which lines were used to get that spray so I've gotta play around with the numbers until I hit the right ones so may take me a little while to update again. I'll try for once every couple of weeks.
    CAI

Installation
    MOD format. Drop in your NTW Data folder and add:
    mod "NTWBWv1.pack";
    To your user.script text or use mod manager.
    If it's a redownload/update remember to backup the old file first so you can revert back if need be.

Recommended mods to play alongside N:BW
    Bran's BAI & sirloin's battleterrain
    Only use his standalone BAI. His CAI suffers from that annoying soundbug where your horses shout "militia" and line infantry shout "revolutionary guard". I'll be looking at tweaking CAI myself once relearning everything.

Compatibility
    The mod should play nicely with other mods since it's mostly audio & visual. If you play an overhaul mod just give this mod priority in loading order if you want the muskets, cannons, cannon blood, battle smoke etc. It won't override stats, campaign changes, unit sizes, uniforms etc or anything like that but it may replace battle flags.

Credits & Special Thanks
    These are some elements and mods I've incorporated to use as a base
    -Whiff of Sulphur - the best, most realistic battle smoke I've seen. WoS did an amazing job
    -Battle Chaos - without a doubt the best sounding muskets in any game or mod alike; also an amazing idea from Sirloin for the ambient noise during fighting and the clanging of canteens while marching. Seriously great job!
    -Realistic flags for more zoomed-in immersion
    -Extra Blood Mod - Without this I couldn't have figured out how to add cannon blood that other mods seem to lack
    -Diggy's ETW Cannons - for some awesome battlefield wrath and thunder

Awards
    Gameplay, audio & visual - 2016
    Last edited by tommytoxen; April 28, 2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Updated

Default Re: Napoleon: Brutal War

It's nice that you want to experiment, but a little credit would be good courtesy when you take someone else's work.

Pretty sure I have?

Where have I not?

Better smoke courtesy of the Whiff of Sulphur mod
    using WoS and Extra Blood as the base to work with
    New musket/cannon sounds courtesy of Battle Chaos mod
    using Bran's BAI as a base
    Hedge Knights CAI
    where is the missing courtesy credit??? sorry if I've forgot one, didn't think I did

just wanted to play around and make a more brutal mod, using the above helped as a base to figure stuff out, i made sure to name all the mods elements were borrowed from
    Last edited by tommytoxen; May 28, 2016 at 03:09 PM.

Oh and I just realized you're the battle chaos mod guy those musket sounds and ambient sounds are great (
    New musket/cannon sounds courtesy of Battle Chaos mod. These were left untouched as they're pretty much perfect as is
    )

the screams and music needed a little work though so I've replaced/re-recorded/normalized a few of them

i couldn't remember your name but i did give credit to the mod as I bolded above I thought you'd vanished like the other modders or I'd have PM'd first!
    Last edited by tommytoxen; May 28, 2016 at 03:35 PM.

v1.0b - Increased rifle/musket range to delay vanilla's melee zerg bug
    - increased armour & ammo for longer firefights - decreased melee attack stats/increased melee defend stats to encourage the AI into calculating that firefight is more advantageous than zerging like spastics
    - Slightly increased number of troop (not too much though for those playing on potatoes. If you lag simply go to preferences.script and turn down unit multiplier)
    - Increased artillery from 4 to 8 for double the blood & gore brutality.
    - Temporarily removed alternative battle terrains while I figure out why it crashes campaign battles
    - Temporarily removed land/deployment ambient sounds from Battle Chaos while I figure out why it crashes campaign after ship battles

https://mega.nz/#!BcQkyQAI

Well if you look at the forums you can clearly see that I did not vanish and yes a PM before doing this would have been better honestly. Not a big deal but shows respect. Also thanking "the mod" that provided you assets does not equal to a proper credit of the person behind it. It takes two seconds to write up a nickname. Again, I'm not angry, but if you wanted to do it properly would have been better.

"More pew pew less zerg zerg" caught me heret

(Sorry for double post, I dont know how to edit existant) This looks great, but dont really know why, I cant download it from Mega, it ask for "decryption code", maybe you'll upload it somewhere else like Mediafire?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyyy View Post
    "More pew pew less zerg zerg" caught me heret
    At the moment I've increased rifle ranges/decreased melee attack/increased ranged attack factors. In theory this should have the AI re-calculate that firefighting will deal more damage than zerging in melee which = more pew pew.

I'm still playing with the stats and figures, hopefully by next week I'd have got it just how I want it.

Here's the link w/decryption key:
    https://mega.nz/#!0ZZUgTaK!extDapCwegXhpnJ0tNcHl3vYX6yoqclCeHGPBjwONhQ

Quote Originally Posted by Sirlion View Post
    Well if you look at the forums you can clearly see that I did not vanish and yes a PM before doing this would have been better honestly. Not a big deal but shows respect. Also thanking "the mod" that provided you assets does not equal to a proper credit of the person behind it. It takes two seconds to write up a nickname. Again, I'm not angry, but if you wanted to do it properly would have been better.
    I'm anti-social by nature AND HAVE TROUBLE WITH ASSOCIATIONS oops caps, it's the reason i don't have friends, I don't even remember half of my own family's names don't worry about it I gave credit toi the battle chaos guy when I wrote the post im really not seeing what all the postal fury is about

Anyway edited first post, I'm anti-social and have attention/associative problems but i'm not an a-hole I do listen

- Added 'proper' credits to OP.
    Last edited by tommytoxen; May 29, 2016 at 10:00 AM.

Grr. Removed _kv_rules table while I figure out why it's crashing during cavalry charges.

Man I hate modding fix one thing another breaks.

Why did all the proper modders have to abandon us i wouldn't have had to do this myself ;D

I've just re-uploaded v1.0c so if you have #c re-download it

Going to test it out, then probably will post some screenies of it

Is the smoke intended to look like this?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

V1.1
    - Encouraged AI to research new technologies/go for trade routes/raid and increase naval power more
    - Slightly decreased number of blood particles for musket hit
    - Encouraged AI to stay back and engage in firefights more
    - Slightly increased ammo for longer firefights, but you'll still run out after a while so keep troops in reserve to bring to the front-line
    - Slightly decreased melee divisor to help AI calculate ranged attack is best
    - Encouraged AI to help allies more/break alliances less
    - Told AI to develop regions and research new technology
    - Helped unconfuse AI by having them attack flanks but lowering attack rear factor to stop their calculations getting jumbled up. In vanilla rear attack is highest priority but I think that just confuses them because they'll zerg up front to get behind? AI seems to do better when focusing on one thing so now once they get to flanks then they will (should) automatically attack the rear from the side anyway.
    - Increased morale for longer firefights
    - Told AI to capture regions it is blockading more
    - Told AI to try recapturing lost regions more

One big firefight, no melee zerg bug YET:

Last edited by tommytoxen; December 11, 2016 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyyy View Post
    Is the smoke intended to look like this?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I wanted some realistic looking cannon/musket smoke choking the soldiers and blinding them like how it was in real life to add to the brutality of the battle so yes author of WoS did an amazing job simulating real battle smoke.

I'll do a version with less smoke once I've finished tweaking the AI though if you need

K, thanks i was just thinking that Darthmod ed something up (I played on it before)
    Suggestions from me, increase the range to more realistic like 120 for Line, 150 for light and 200 for rifles
    and decrease accuracy to 35 being base for Line, 40 for lights, 50/60 rifles

I think range is currently 170/185/200 but I'll double check.

TW AI is bugged, the lazy devs at CA pretty much use the same code for all the games which means the AI is just hard-coded to want to go into melee when too close. Only way to really, really discourage it along with borking up its melee calculations is to increase range of ranged weapons and increasing its odds of calculating that ranged = better. while playing the AI is simply doing maths.

If melee damage >= ranged damage then engage melee elseif engage ranged (paraphrasing to simplify) but that's basically it.

So while I've increased to maybe "Unrealistic" levels it's the only way to stop the zerging. Besides, I just imagine that 200 = 200 yards, and muskets definitely fired 200 yards so 170 is perfectly fine for me. I may increase slightly more though gonna do some testing on a bigger map to see how it plays out.

I'll play around with decreasing accuracy for you too BUT, I'll have to play around with decreasing melee stats more as well, because as I said, the AI will be deciding between ranged & melee depending on the maths it pulls out of its ass. Too innacurate it'll just decide zerg is better, unless inaccurate ranged still outputs a sum greater than melee zerg.

I'll keep playing and fiddling though until we get some good, brutal firefights (Y)

Will try to play some battles on your range, then ill think, but still, a great mod/compilation of mods

I was just tired of the same old melee zerg every battle, I tried other mods but they either break the game or don't do exactly what I want. Like smoke Or blood, or smoke & blood but barely noticeable. Too close range weps which just means more melee zerg, or breaks game sounds because they've added new tables and borked matching up with patches etc

So set on a quest to create a nice, amospheric brutal game with lots of blood, screaming and long intense firefights

Since the mods incorporated helped me enjoy NTW a 1000% more thought it was only right to share my work too incase others have the same tastes as me

Quote Originally Posted by tommytoxen View Post
    I was just tired of the same old melee zerg every battle, I tried other mods but they either break the game or don't do exactly what I want. Like smoke Or blood, or smoke & blood but barely noticeable. Too close range weps which just means more melee zerg, or breaks game sounds because they've added new tables and borked matching up with patches etc

So set on a quest to create a nice, amospheric brutal game with lots of blood, screaming and long intense firefights

Since the mods incorporated helped me enjoy NTW a 1000% more thought it was only right to share my work too incase others have the same tastes as me
    After some battles i think 120,150 and 200 range will be something enjoyable along that think that 180 meters firefights weren't so often when a volley will kill couple of men

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast