Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Skavens in the near future? A hint? Secret content?

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Default Re: Skavens in the near future? A hint? Secret content?

imo, it's impossible to properly represent Skaven without a 2nd map layer and majpr Underway overhaul. Current army stance underway is just cheap

so my bet is on TW:W #2

M2TWRocks's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Bulk View Post
    Don't worry buddy. Many factions will be included sooner or later.
    And I will buy every one of them. I'm dying to play as a lizard-man. But, a rat-man will do.

I'd really like Skaven as DLC for Warhammer but apparently it would be hard to represent them without some kind of separate underground map. This probably means that they will be in the 1st or 2nd expansion (These 2 parts of the trilogy are basically expansions.).

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    Heretics! There is no such thing as "Ratmen."
    Its a common misconception. These 'Ratmen' are obviously another subset of those horrid Beastmen that rampage across The Empire.

These people are obviously listening to much to those sewer working Ratcatchers (and their particularly vicious dog) after one too many drinks.
    Forward, march!

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

skavens is all gonna be about under ground
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

I noticed Grimgor mentioning ratboys at one point. Obviously Skaven are on the radar for DLC though bit classic WFB race.

nah, it is big enough to be the focus of one of the 2 remaining games. just like chaos is the focus of the current game.
    fear is helluva drug
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by craziii View Post
    nah, it is big enough to be the focus of one of the 2 remaining games. just like chaos is the focus of the current game.
    Really? If Chaos are focus of this game, i either have not played enough or they have done bad job. Either is possible, maybe both.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Zephyrus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Whether they are underground or aboveground, the Children Of The Horned Rat may be the sole factor in influencing my decision to purchase. They need to be made, and made well.
    SEMPER FIDELIS Remember Constantinople Κωνσταντινούπολη

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Im worried about how they will portray this.

Warhammer is already such a departure from normal Total War games, but Skaven will be one of the biggest challenges to get right. In my heart, I see how fantastic it could be, an entirely new campaign layer below the campaign map that you can only access through certain places. All giant caverns, narrow, ancient highways of the dwarves, stinking rat-infested hives of Skaven, and marauding bands of orcs.

But in my head, I worry that Skaven will just have settlements on the above-ground map, like Dwarves, and CA will squander their one chance at really defying convention and making something unique.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Chlodwig I. View Post
    I guess 50% of the Warhammer players would play them,

I collected an Skaven army, in 3rd or 4th edition they are really really funny, even loosing a game with them was fun.

Its like someone took all the funny things and placed them into one army
    Sniper rifles (Jezzail Team),
    Biological (Plague Censer Bearers) and
    Chemical Warfare (Poison Wind Globadiers),
    (Warp)Flamethrowers,
    Mutant Beasts (Rat Ogres),
    Assassins (Gutter Runners)
    and Crazy Warmachines (Doom Wheel, Screaming Bell)

and always the chance that something goes wrong and kill the skaven too

No Cavalry, only one bad Archery Unit (Skaven Slave Slingers)
    But many different cheap and fast melee units (25% faster than Dwars/Undead, 15% faster than Human/Orks) which have only the purpose to slow down the enemy troops and die
    while the war teams use their weapons of mass destruction on the enemy.

There is nothing more funny than seeing the face of a Dwarf player when a Unit of Plague Monks and Plague Censer Bearer crushes his elite warriors
    Or the face of an Ork&Goblin player when his Units are taken down by a sucessfull Plague Spell.
    Or when the Jazaill Teams killed the Lizardmen General with a volley of high damage, armor piercing, magical Ammunition
    this.

And the best part is knowning that half of your fortune/misfortune comes from pure luck - if something goes wrong BOOM, half of the regiment vanished and the rest panicking and routing everyone

I was really eager to read the new codex (when they still were updating every race) but then.....the fire nation attacked - emh End Times came and...well I'll stick to the last old codex XD

back on topic, as the majority are stating I really hope this will involve a new background map/multiple levels maybe? and hope that this will be as one of the expansions announced, not just a DLC. If this gets to be a major expansion there is hope it will indeed involve big changes or simply add on in the vanilla system (fingers crossed).

They just can't put them on the map and squeeze them between other existing races, they just can't. and even if they add a new area (which will probably done anyway) it will just be against the lore...they are everywhere.

and please don't give them the horde set up - this is personal I just can't play as horde, I am really bad (looking at you Chaos..even though your lore justifies it)

Yeah Skagen are pretty much hilarious and I want them in the game. Basically their strategy is ah he'll with it send in the weakest ones and shoot the enemy at the same time. To them friendly fire is a strategy... plus who wouldn't want to run around in a doom wheel or with a Vermin lord?

Damn auto correct.... Skaven

Skaven will be released in the third installment of the series; The End Times.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRomanRuler View Post
    Really? If Chaos are focus of this game, i either have not played enough or they have done bad job. Either is possible, maybe both.
    chaos = hunts in attila, so yea, the focus. it is the last boss of the campaign.
    fear is helluva drug

I hope not because I won't buy any other TW Warhammer without Skaven included.

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Quote Originally Posted by Chlodwig I. View Post
    I hope not because I won't buy any other TW Warhammer without Skaven included.
    There was some Russian hacker who datamined the game and found a list of the DLC. If that list is correct, then the eleventh DLC for the current game will be Skaven.

And we are currently at Nr4?

Maybe 11 is already a dlc for 2nd Game of the triology

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus View Post
    I hope not. Just another faction i really don't want to play. I mean who wants to play giant rats?
    Wtf. Then dont play them. I am not going to stand in the way for a complete warhammer lore game.

I really hope they are the main focus of the second game, so CA can make them properly,
    And to make them properly, they need an underground map. We know multiple maps are possible in total war, we saw it in Empire (although it was limited).
    Then to make things perfect, Skavens will be able to send horde-like armies in the upper world, and even if its not entirely lore-friendly, other factions should be able to send expeditions in skavendom
    (skavens do need some threat other than themselves down there. me-think)

As a unique faction mechanic they could have the council of thirteen giving you missions, or even if you are powerful enough, have a lord of your own in the council,
    a bit like cardinals with the pope in med 2 (or am I confused and this is only in crusader kings 2? )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast