Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Next total war game?

Incontinenta Buttox's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Next total war game?

Renaissance period would be good, and hasn't been done before.

1500 - 1700

yes a renaissance TW is what im watiting for since Medieval 2!
    An "Age of Discovery" Total War would be absolutely amazing and it would perfectly fit into the total war formula. A campaign spanning from the 16th to the 18th century offers so much protential, I mean this timeperiod has really everything! A shift from Knights to Pike & Shot to Linebattles! A lot of sea trade between continents, civilized and uncivilized factions, a huge jump in military tactics and technologies, you have civil wars, revolutions, holy wars and the colonization of America!

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by herne_the _hunter View Post
    anyway the next Total War game is part 2 of the Warhammer Trilogy?
    Yes this would appear to be the case, with the Warhammer sequel farther along in development than the next historical title and most of the TW team assigned to work on Warhammer. Fantasy continuing to crowd out development and/or timely release of the historically themed Total War titles:

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...er-2016#latest

A period slightly before of after Empire would be fantastic. Time frames lasting from 1500-1600s and 1800-1900s have much to offer. The Renaissance, the Protestant Reformation, Pike and Shot, Rise of the Ottoman Empire, Colonization of the Americas, and many more some examples for the former. As for the latter, we saw how magnificent FotS was, and I am confident that a Victorian-era game would prove to be a huge success.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karnil Vark Khaitan View Post
    Why is this thread in Warhammer section?
    there are different threads about next total war title in the General Tw Discussion created according to different OPs; we did not close or move this one as it is pertinent to WH area; you are free to use the other threads if you prefer.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

What do you think this means;Historical Team – Unannounced Total War Title
    Pre-production for our next historical major release continues apace, with the team working on pretty much all areas of the game at this stage, but particularly jaw-dropping are the character and campaign map concepts that are starting to crop up around the studio with increasing frequency.

Character concepts? Seems to rule out WWI?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost, colonel View Post
    What do you think this means;Historical Team – Unannounced Total War Title
    Pre-production for our next historical major release continues apace, with the team working on pretty much all areas of the game at this stage, but particularly jaw-dropping are the character and campaign map concepts that are starting to crop up around the studio with increasing frequency.

Mmmm, way too vague for any solid conclusions, but...

"Character concepts" - I think will refer to dynamic personalities and traits. Character progression in all recent games (Warhammer especially) has revolved around allocating points in a predetermined skills point tree. Nothing jaw-dropping about that, in my opinion. I expect there will be a greater interplay between character actions on map/battlefield and how they progress in terms of skills and traits. Perhaps this does rule out a WWI/II scenario, as those were more conflicts by numbers than personalities when compared with pre-industrial warfare.

"Campaign Map concepts" - Emphasis on "map" there rather than straight up campaign mechanics. This implies to me that we are either getting a more fleshed out system of logistics and supply lines or army movement and stances will be given an overhaul. Perhaps more emphasis on zones of control and occupation. Hopefully both, but it would be so damn good to see supply lines and trade routes given some love on the campaign map. They've been neglected for too long!

Whatever happens, the campaign needs something big and I reckon that CA know it. The current system is pretty barebones and hasn't been updated forever.
    Last edited by Fredrin; October 18, 2016 at 07:41 PM.

1400-1650 would be ideal period that TW has barely covered (very end of MTW2 touched early part) with lots of technologies, factions, and military styles. Also the age of dynasties and high diplomacy really beginning to flourish as well trade networks and political power becoming wrapped even more than before.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

With the word "concept" I'm quite certain they are refering to artwork, meaning concept art for characters and units rather than systemic concepts (like a traits system). Same for the map concepts.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Please, not world wars! There are already a lot of strategy games about the WW2, otherwise it would be difficult to show the Holocaust, the Germans and Soviets crimes etc. However, the first world war is about senseless attacks on the trenches of the enemy, who would like to play this way? Besides, there is a good rts Battle of Empires: 1914-18.

The period of the Renaissance is ideal, realistic physics and gore is everything I need
    Last edited by musketer; October 19, 2016 at 06:54 AM.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrin View Post
    Mmmm, way too vague for any solid conclusions, but...

"Campaign Map concepts" - Emphasis on "map" there rather than straight up campaign mechanics. This implies to me that we are either getting a more fleshed out system of logistics and supply lines or army movement and stances will be given an overhaul. Perhaps more emphasis on zones of control and occupation. Hopefully both, but it would be so damn good to see supply lines and trade routes given some love on the campaign map. They've been neglected for too long!
    I'd love systems like this in the game, and particularly in fleshing out the reality in war that great armies could be raised, campaigns waged, but eventually the costs, disease, death, food availability etc. would cause the best-laid plans to go awry or be limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    With the word "concept" I'm quite certain they are refering to artwork, meaning concept art for characters and units rather than systemic concepts (like a traits system). Same for the map concepts.
    Disagree completely. They didnt mention units. Artwork for characters isn't of major importance in TW games. They're talking about game concepts.
    Last edited by Huberto; October 19, 2016 at 07:41 AM.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Frost, colonel View Post

Question : If you could choose a particular area of history to focus on for future Total War franchises what would they be?

Answer :"I love this question. I have loads of great timeframes that I would love to do and probably anything that I tell you now, is probably not on the table at the moment. I'd love to do a First World War game, I'd love to do a Second World War game. I'm very interested in having another crack at the Medieval time period. I would like to do an 'ancients' game that predates Rome. I'd love to do a Vikings game, I'd love to do War of the Roses, the American Civil War loads of things."

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/46998...+on+the+table/
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

I think medieval 3 with expansion on renaissence.

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I'd like a Victorian era game the most. Fall of the Samurai was so good and that focused on one country. Having that but on a near global scale would be incredible.
    FotS also had the best naval combat in any TW game.
    I'd prefer to see CA move towards a Paradox system when it comes to nation selection. I'd like to choose any nation in the game even if I have absolutely no chance with them!

AND WHERE IS MY DAMN UNIT CUSTOMISATION! You know? That thing that was promised back with Napoleon?

I really hope for an Empire 2 Total War.. this would be awesome

I think this should be the actual setting they should focus on to have a lot of unit variety and gameplay .

Medieval III The Dark Ages 500 AD - 899 AD
    Medieval III The Middle ages 900 AD - 1399 AD
    Medieval III The Renaissence 1400 - 1699

With MP shogun II mechanics

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Fallout 3 Modder

I think this should be the actual setting they should focus on to have a lot of unit variety and gameplay .

Medieval III The Dark Ages 500 AD - 899 AD
    Medieval III The Middle ages 900 AD - 1399 AD
    Medieval III The Renaissence 1400 - 1699

With MP shogun II mechanics

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Question : If you could choose a particular area of history to focus on for future Total War franchises what would they be?

Answer :"I love this question. I have loads of great timeframes that I would love to do and probably anything that I tell you now, is probably not on the table at the moment. I'd love to do a First World War game, I'd love to do a Second World War game. I'm very interested in having another crack at the Medieval time period. I would like to do an 'ancients' game that predates Rome. I'd love to do a Vikings game, I'd love to do War of the Roses, the American Civil War loads of things."

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/46998...+on+the+table/
    Veeeery interesting I mean, there were not one, but two "probably"s in that sentence, but I guess this means it's fair to exclude all the following from being the next historical game:

- WWI
    - WWII
    - Medieval III
    - Prehistory
    - Vikings (and obviously anything in Attila's time period)
    - War of the Roses (and therefore any of Europe in Late Middle Ages?)
    - American Civil War (so possibly no "Victoria" title?)

As art director, he will be pretty heavily immersed in concept art for the next historical, so it's very unlikely he'd name the game he's currently working on. So I'd say that is quite a reliable list of eliminations, all in all.

So, what does that leave, then? Renaissance is the big one, to my mind. Or China.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi again Fredrin, hope you are fine. Anything new planned? I bet on WW1 being the BIG NEXT THING in regard of historical TW warfare. There are many reasons why I think this would make sense. Warhammer has unleashed the performance for more massive battles, set new limits for unit sizes in terms of Warscape based games and we got served flying units for the first time as well. It would make a good sense to put all these evolved benefits things together.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    Hi again Fredrin, hope you are fine. Anything new planned? I bet on WW1 being the BIG NEXT THING in regard of historical TW warfare. There are many reasons why I think this would make sense. Warhammer has unleashed the performance for more massive battles, set new limits for unit sizes in terms of Warscape based games and we got served flying units for the first time as well. It would make a good sense to put all these evolved benefits things together.
    Hey mate, all good thanks. I was planning a big ol' community survey (as is tradition) but I'm not all that well up on Warhammer lore and, truth be told, not wild about the game either. I think I'll hold out on that til further down the line, but I've had some encouraging feedback from some seniors at CA, so will defo be doing it for the next historical game if you wanna get involved, whenever that may be.

So, your money's on WWI eh? I had it down as an inside chance until Kevin came out with the statement above - who knows, maybe he's bluffing

Your reasoning is pretty sound, though. 64 bit has opened up scale, animation and model variation massively; plus we have the framework for flying units, vehicles, the works... My instinct is that it presents a few too many challenges for CA to bite off though. Adapting trench warfare into something as errr arcadey as CA usually go for is not something they'd bother attempting. They have a pretty light-hearted take on history in general, and that would be a stretch with such a bleak conflict. Still, I'd love to see what they came up with.

My money's on Pike and Shot personally. That or China. They seem like the big glaring omissions from the ones he mentioned in the interview above. Lol, pure speculation at this point but always fun to have a punt.