Thread: Battle Speed

Default Battle Speed

Whenever I go into slow motion I find that the sounds and ambiance of the battle changes (disappears in fact). In med2 you could alter the game speed in much smaller increments 0.1, rather then just normal, X2, X3.

I have had a look through the data files but cannot find anything related to this.

Basically I would like the feel of the normal speed, but at about half the pace. Is this something moddable by players, or would CA need to do something?

Default Re: Battle Speed

The battles are fast as heck. I find that usually slow mo is good for actually being able to do everything you need to do.

There are battle speed mods out there which aim to slow down the engagments so that the battle isn't over in 5 minutes. Try some out. The one I like is called "propper battle mod".

Using a mod like this allows you to not need slow mo to actually get a good battle. And without slow mo, you won't have those weird sound/ambiance issues

Quote Originally Posted by emcdunna View Post
    The battles are fast as heck. I find that usually slow mo is good for actually being able to do everything you need to do.

There are battle speed mods out there which aim to slow down the engagments so that the battle isn't over in 5 minutes. Try some out. The one I like is called "propper battle mod".

Using a mod like this allows you to not need slow mo to actually get a good battle. And without slow mo, you won't have those weird sound/ambiance issues
    Thanks for the response. I already have/looked at mods for battle 'length' (miss chance/total hit points etc), but in this instance I am interested in battle pace.

Ie: sure mods can make the fights longer (which was needed I agree), but I am interesting in having the time to watch the battles, react as flanking units get into position etc, rely on tactics not fast mouse button pressing. ......just like med 2 speed (showing my age I guess )

I think that it could be solved if the settings for the slow-mo could be modded: for example, to play normal sounds when it is on instead of the normal speed. Basically this would transform normal speed into X2 speed. Is it possible?

That came with Shogun2 that the normal speed is like 2x
    which just is
    you are now forced to always pause and you don't have the time to really watch a battle

What bugs me is that CA do this every time. I don't know if they do it because it makes the AI artificially harder or if they think that people actually like it but this seems to get worse with every new title.
    I know that mods can make it better, but they really shouldn't have to.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Twido View Post
    What bugs me is that CA do this every time. I don't know if they do it because it makes the AI artificially harder or if they think that people actually like it but this seems to get worse with every new title.
    Yes. CA does this every-single-time.

It`s clear that they believe that most people want battles that are over in 5 minutes- At least the most people they want to sell to.

Watch, how later, they will slowdown the speed in a patch at about the 3 month mark.

They do it to catch the twitch-finger impatient crowd at the very start of sales.

Its great to known I am not alone in feeling this. What I don't get is why the OPTION to slow down is not there (apart from the aforementioned soundless slow).

Hekko's Avatar Centenarius

It's an awful design choice to be honest and detracts from the overall quality of gameplay, and it also has implications on MP, since that becomes a question of mashing buttons the fastest, no strategy involved. I don't see why combat could not be a lot slower by default? I mean it's not as if we cannot use fast forward to get past the bits that suffer from being slow, while we still could enjoy interesting tactical battles.

I had my first 20v20 battle against the AI as Empire today. I'll be honest, I'm not someone with fast reactions or fast micro, but that's why I always loved Total War - it rewarded planning and strategy, it rewarded macro in having a well constructed, well built, well equipped and tailored-for-your-enemy army rather than the ability to quickly click around all over the place.

The 20v20 battle was an absolute mess. And that's with just a line hitting my line and me trying to keep an eye on cavalry on the flanks. One of my swordsmen units was down to 20 men left (got hit by 2 enemy swordsmen units at once, my mistake but it happened so fast I barely noticed it because I was busy looking elsewhere) within a very short time.

I love the aesthetics, I love that it's Warhammer, but it doesn't FEEL like Warhammer, or like Total War should. There's a battle going on between hundreds of men and whilst I get people don't want the battles to be 30-40 minutes long, it has gone much too far the opposite way for me. 2-3 minutes of battle isn't a battle, it's a skirmish, it's a flash in the pan. It's almost not worth the effort of playing the battle yourself, because you spend more time marching and positioning than actually fighting.

Maybe my mind will change as I play more but I hope they slow the battles down. For now I'm going to try the Proper Combat Mod which has some slowdown in the change log.

Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Twido View Post
    The reality is CA don't give a damn what anyone thinks, they have their own dumbed down kiddie vision of the game in mind and that is what they are leaning towards every time. For some reason they think huge epic battles should last less than 10 minutes, when they should be the centerpiece of the game experience.

At first I didnt care so much or thought that was a problem.

But recently I had a battle with two reinforcing armies on the other side and one reinforcing army on my side. Its was about 40 vs 50 units in different areas of the battlefield. And all that on Legendary Difficulty so pausing is not an option. It really felt too much like Starcraft where I have to click faster to win not very TW like.