Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Proper Combat Mod [Update 24.10.2016]

Senator

Default Re: Proper Combat Mod [Released]

Did you change the projectiles_tables in your last update or is it the same as before? I ask because I'm lazy. I use your mod, it's very much needed to make combat bearable, but I changed the tower damage back to vanilla because I cannot accept the low damage and the very small firing angle of the towers together. So I have my own projectiles_tables and have to manually change and replace it each time you update.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

I changed projectile_talbes on 2nd of June last time.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Senator

Ok, thanks, then I'm up to date.

r3dshift's Avatar Civis

I concur that towers are currently overly nerfed. I don't know how it is in vanilla 'cause I never played a vanilla siege; but just this afternoon I played one with the mod enabled -- and no losses in terms of siege towers or attacking units. I quite single-handedly steamrolled the defender AI.

On a positive note, you seem to have nailed the open-field battles almost perfectly, KAM.

@geala: Could you please upload somewhere your version of the mod with vanilla tower characteristics? I'd like to give it a go.

@KAM: How do I prevent mods from automatically updating themselves when launching steam?
    Last edited by r3dshift; June 07, 2016 at 03:10 PM.

Senator

Sorry, I cannot upload it, it is just KAM's mod with some changes in the projectiles_tables, not my work. It is remarkable how few I changed, in R2TW I changed a lot more in his mods. I'm also too dump to upload something anyway. Perhaps KAM makes one version with other tower settings? My settings are not vanilla btw, I gave towers less range (400 currently) and maybe will give even less range and less damage when I can grant them a better field of fire. It is strange that protruding towers cannot fulfill their very task, firing along the walls.

You can prevent mods from updating by unsubscribing the mod in the workshop. You can also rename the mod, I gave for example 02_KAM_proper_combat_mod as a name, also to rule the load order (so I thought).

@ KAM: I had a strange occurence with the mod and would like to ask wether the mechanic of reading behind it was always there or is new. As a modder you perhaps know. I let your kam_data_core file in your projectiles_tables in your mod pack (second in load order) and made my own in my mod pack, named woz_data_core in the projectiles_tables. My pack was first in load order but the game read your projectiles_tables. Seemingly because your file name started with "k" and mine with "w"? Was it always so that the TW games read all files in all packs and used the file with the letter first in alphabet? I never had such a behavior before, in TW:A and R2TW always all tables in my mod pack (first in load order) were read first completely. But perhaps I was just lucky.
    Last edited by geala; June 08, 2016 at 01:41 AM.

r3dshift's Avatar Civis

Thanks for clearing things up with the subscription. Silly me, I thought that unsubscribing would also delete the mod.

BTW, last night I also checked out a battle mod called TW Classic Battles, which increased the HP of all units and decreased hit chance, among other things. It did help to make battles last considerably longer, although the guy kept the vanilla movement speeds, which are too fast.

Just some further food for thought.

Patrician

From what I remember, unsubscribing DOES delete the mod ; P You need to make a copy before that.

r3dshift, I also increased HP at first but that is dead end as it makes it incompatible with unit packs, while decreasing weapon damage will achieve exactly the same, but will be compatible.

geala, yes, I noticed that too, now it is not about packs loadign first, but about tables being named alphabetically, which will be a huge pain in the future, once there will be more mods.

r3dshift's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    From what I remember, unsubscribing DOES delete the mod ; P You need to make a copy before that.

r3dshift, I also increased HP at first but that is dead end as it makes it incompatible with unit packs, while decreasing weapon damage will achieve exactly the same, but will be compatible.
    Damn, you're right. Unsubscribing does indeed delete the mod. So, how do I prevent it from being updated automatically upon logging in? Does renaming, as suggested by geala above, work? Or...?

I see your point about HP/weapon damage clearly now, thanks for the explanation.

Patrician

Yes, renaming will work

I can also upload new versions on mediafire and just store them in spoiler tag on the first page.

r3dshift's Avatar Civis

Hmm, I've tried renaming, but got a warning in the mod launcher saying that the renamed mod is outdated and may crash my game. Funnny thing is, it was the exact same file as the mod.

Mediafire is also a good idea; however, how do I revert back to a previous version, should I ever come across a newer version that is not quite to my liking?

Sorry about posting so many questions, but I have a lot of work to do and don't even have the time to play the game -- let alone experiment.
    Last edited by r3dshift; June 08, 2016 at 08:59 AM.

Senator

If you rename a mod, close Steam and reopen it. If you want to unsubscribe, transfer the mod into a "safety folder" (you have safe copies of everything, do you?), unsubsribe, then transfer the mod back into the data folder. You can make safe copies of all the mod versions you have, rename them to show the date or so, store them.

The new reading scheme for packs and tables is baffling, why did they do it this way?

Patrician

Mods that are not from steam subscription will always be called outdated for some reason, just enable out of date mods. You will have to replace the file with older version manually if you will want to use older build.

r3dshift's Avatar Civis

Thanks for your replies, lads. Everything's crystal clear now.

Senator

BTW if you like the vanilla tower setting more, you could change it easily yourself back in KAM's mod (I hope he will be not too upset by it ). Even someone like me with extremely restricted modding abilities can do the changes.

Just download PFM 4.1 (link in the Workshop part of the forum), unzip it and start the PFM (Pack File Manager) with the .exe file in its folder. Tell the PFM where your Warhammer game is located (C-Steam-Steamapps-Common-Warhammer or similar), best by browsing to the location. When you choose "Open file" in the file department left upper corner, you see the packs in your Warhammer data folder. Open KAM's pack. You see a folder tree under "db". Under "projectile_tables" folder you find the file kam_data_core. When you highlight it you see the entrances of the file on the right sight of the PFM. It's a simple spreadsheet with numbers. At the bottom of it are the entrances for the towers of the walled settlements, named accordingly. To be more precise, it is the entrance for the projectiles of the towers. You can change every setting, of considerable interest here are range (450 in vanilla) and damage, as far as I remember something like 120, 150, 600, 750 according to the tier of the tower. The only problem is that you must change it for the towers of each race, all have the same stats but differently called projectiles.

After the changes click "save" in the files department or simply close the PFM and click "yes" for saving the changes. It sounds more complicated as it is.
    Last edited by geala; June 09, 2016 at 01:42 AM.

r3dshift's Avatar Civis

Thanks for the quick modding tutorial; whenever I can find some free time, I'll jump into it.

Hey Kam, Zaskar70
    's mods work fine with your mod? I saw you commenting on them, any experience? They look awesome, also a bit too OP.
    Last edited by gregnaar; June 09, 2016 at 03:04 AM.

Patrician

I play with them, haven't noticed any problems. Blood Dragons should be OP, they are single beast non monster fighters in the Warhammer Universe

1) Big fan of this mod.THis mod is really needed to enjoy the battles.
    2) I've been promoting your mod to the BENELUX gaming community in Warhammer universe, hopefully that will crank up your download/subs on steam.
    3) Plz keep improving/tweaking the mod so it becomes balanced and fun to play.

What are you aiming for?
    1vs1 = 10 min battles? (not including the setup armies)
    (at least more than 5min plz)

Patrician

Next patch about sieges and magic will be next week : )

Overal goal is to have fun battles, if average 1v1 battle with full stacks will have 8-12 minutes, then I will be happy. Normally I go for even longer battles but I do not think that Warhammer needs them.

Thanks for promoting

r3dshift's Avatar Civis

Hey KAM, really enjoying your mod, but next time, could you please look into the undead? They seem to crumble/disintegrate waaaaay too fast. I'll do some more testing next week when I have the time, but right now it seems to me that compared to vanilla, the Vamps are definitely underprivileged in your mod.