Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: First impressions.

Default Re: First impressions.

Well, It seems that this one is actually... a good total war. I mean it's not like a masterpiece or anything, but this one might be the best in while since Shogun 2. No problems so far, no fps drops or anything, runs smoothly on my older pc and the it seems that CA has actually brought FUN back to total war. It's not realistic but can't help myself having a giggle when goblins get flown miles away by chaos chariots physics remind me of the good olden days of RTW1 and MTW2 like never before. Need to play my campaign till the end (90 turns in) but this one looks promising

Ciruelo's Avatar Tiro

After several hours and 200 turns on my greenskin campaign I can say that I have never had so much fun playing a videogame as long as I remember. 200 turns and I feel like I have just started but indeed a ton of things happened. Battles are amazing, the events and story-line of the campaign is incredible. The AI is fairly good to be challenging most of times. The quests with the story behind are so immersive. My general heard about a misterious crown on the very north and I had to do a lot of things before I got that crown, and now my general can spell dark magic thanks to that crown. I can't count the amount of fun I have had and all smoothly in ultra setting graphics playing on a laptop. I am really impressed, I have never been interested in non-historical scenarios but now I want to read all the warhammer books and know more about the lore. Just speechless.

Stop it guys! As a chap on the fence good stuff about the game is not what I want to be hearing!

Man, this sucks. I was so looking forward to watching the drama/hysteria, anarchy and pro and anti fanboy base unfold with another bad Total War release. You guys are really disappointing me.

In all seriousness this title doesn't appeal to me. I much prefer the historical settings, so I'll be making do with the older titles. But I'm glad to hear that you early adopters have a polished title this go around. It means there is hope that CA will continue to put out good content in the coming years, and perhaps I'll be more interested in this title when a good historical mod comes out for it.

Cheers!

Ha, I spent a few turns during my VC campaign hunting Orcs and look what this lead to:

I'm allied with both dwarves and humans. I guess absolutely everybody hates Orcs just that much. Can't complain though.

Playing as Empire, probably had the most epic siege battle of any TW game against Midderland. About 75 units, no slowdown at all. Ferocious battle at the walls and gate, flying Franz over the walls to attack the range units when the AI sends a unit of swordsman to attack him, it was great. The highlight for me was casting the net spell from my bright wizard, pinning down a unit of mounted pistoliers and then attacking them with two units of spearman. Barring any performance issues I don't see how TW fans can't see this as a really solid game. I still miss my hastati though.

AnimaMea's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Risasi View Post
    Man, this sucks. I was so looking forward to watching the drama/hysteria, anarchy and pro and anti fanboy base unfold with another bad Total War release. You guys are really disappointing me.

In all seriousness this title doesn't appeal to me. I much prefer the historical settings, so I'll be making do with the older titles. But I'm glad to hear that you early adopters have a polished title this go around. It means there is hope that CA will continue to put out good content in the coming years, and perhaps I'll be more interested in this title when a good historical mod comes out for it.

Cheers!
    This. Glad to hear the hard work has payed off but a little worried that they'll never return to a historical setting given how quickly fantasy's flown. Would be more than happy to help on a renaissance mod if the Empire units function well (is there a pike square/phalanx?) and the Campaign's got some meat to it beyond magic and vampires

Indefinitely Banned

They really did a good job on this game. I don't think it's perfect but it's pretty close to it. The empire and the Greenskins are great in campaign mode.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Overal impression after few hours of playing is that most annoying or negative stuff can be modded out.

What are the worst parts of the game:
    -battles, they have turned into real clickfest (and I never used that word before on any TW game) with this one, almsot unplayable for me, longest one so far was 7.5 minute with 4 full armies! And that is including time needed for marching. Average battle time is between 4-6 minutes, which is the worst so far in TW.
    That sound bad. It`s even faster then vanilla Shogun billard?

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

For me yes, but I already released a mod about it. Overal I do like this game, with more advanced mods if will be one of best TW games ever made, but overal product still needs time. At least stuff like optimisation and load times were done well at day one of release
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by Alma69 View Post
    That sound bad. It`s even faster then vanilla Shogun billard?
    I don't know what game he is playing, but i can assure you that for me that's not true, i've done a lot of massive battles (i am at the turn 150 with empire) and massive sieges, the battles are the best aspect of this total war, i don't know how you can end a battle in 4 minutes lol

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoise Groudon View Post
    They really did a good job on this game. I don't think it's perfect but it's pretty close to it. The empire and the Greenskins are great in campaign mode.
    Totally agree with that.
    Still the are a few things that i'm a little bit disappointed, but nothing that it can't be fixed with mods.

This total war warhammer is better than its predecessors (yes i am talking to you rome 2 and attila) in so many aspects that people do not really realize, of course the formula has undergone some simplifications here and there but in favor of other aspects.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; May 26, 2016 at 03:28 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts.

PrinceofPersia's Avatar Tiro

So Warhammer arrived, Albeit a day late and I managed to get a few hours of solid gameplay.

Before purchasing this game, I wasn't sure wether to buy the game or not. I am more of a historically accurate (ish) player and only ended up purchasing the game to see how the 'experiment' in the Fantasy world took shape.

I selected the Empire faction as my first playthrough and having played around 70 turns, I feel I have enough insight in the game to make an initial comment.

The Empire faction is most like the traditional armies we would use in TotalWar games, so had plenty of swordsman, spearman, calvary, missel artillery etc. It has a good all rounded mix of units available.
    The Heroes are more important this time around, and it is great to develop your character as the game goes. The graphics are beautiful and even for a potato PC like mine, I managed to get pretty decent 'High' setting gameplay. The Music is one of the better ones. I was normally a fan Van Dyck but this is perhaps one of Beddows better soundtracks. Each faction has its own distinctive music and s very immersive.

The magic element of the game is a new concept and one that is enjoyable, it is rewarding to see a fire ball take out the enemies in a dramatic fashion. Sieges are better also against the previous games.

After a disappointing launch of Rome 2, CA have made 2 following games (Attila & Warhammer) pretty solid and I like the way the game is morphing now. Only thing which I am against is the streamlining of Building browsers.

I liked the older way of constructions etc.
    The Battles are also incredibly quick, perhaps too quick to make any tactical decisions and is more of a 'rush fest'....would be better to reduce the speed slightly.

I would give this game a 7.5-8/10 - it is a solid release and each faction is distinct. CA's first venture into fantasy world is a welcomed addition and one that every hardcore fan of Total War series should own.

Thanks for all the feedback; I'm going to pick this up tonight based on what you have been saying.

Incontinenta Buttox's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I'm pleased CA learned some lessons from RTW2.

TW is back.

Kind of a double post but...

I wasn't even going to get this one... but you know as an "old timer Shogun 1" player so far I'm having a blast playing it. Having way much more fun than I thought I would... go figure! Probably partially because I had no expectations and no previous version to really base it on. And yes I play and enjoy Paradox games and other more in depth strategy/wargames but I'm still having fun.
    Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro x2/950 Pro/970 EVO/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro/

I wasn't planning on buying this until it drops in price, but positive reviews and lack of something to play caused me to buy it. I set my expectations relatively low, so not to be disappointed too much and... I must admit that TW:Warhammer is actually quite good. It runs smoothly, I haven't noticed any game breaking bugs. The Old World map is a breath of fresh air, there is a lot of diversity among factions. Battles are fun, campaign is fun. I think this might be my favourite Total War since Medieval 2. It needs more factions though, I guess they will come with DLC. They also simplified some of the mechanics, which is a shame.
    Last edited by Turael; May 26, 2016 at 02:04 PM.

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

- AI is better then Rome 2.
    - Multiplayer is great. A little to arcadish, but ok for me
    - Battle animations are most bad
    - Lords are great
    - Units are great
    - AI Lords and armies have expirience. In Rome 2 have Maybe Level 2 max. Here I saw over Level 20, so great
    - Wiki in game is bad. I want with a click on units or buildings or tech aso. direct Information and not Start to searching.
    - Multiplayer. Rename units not possible.
    - Multiplayer. Gamble not possible.
    - Multiplayer. If friend have a battle, he is able to give me units, so we play his battle together. Great!
    - Practice game over after Chaos destroyed cities. Conquer is not possible any more. Very BAD!
    - Multiplayer. Playable only 2 players. Is not possible to play same race without mod. 90% lost fun without mod. Very BAD!
    Last edited by joedreck; May 29, 2016 at 06:52 AM.
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

This game is beautiful, specially the Empire campaign. It is a beautiful thing to have a line of musketeers shooting swarming zombies and orcs. It is a fresh take on Total War which I am enjoying very much.

Negative aspects.

No dismount function for cavalry units (WTF)

No siege maps for small settlements. I really enjoy sieges and that made me pissed.

It's a much better game than I expected, and one of the better total wars, up there with Shogun 2. But it still feels frustrating that after all this time we're still only this far, ya feel me?

But it seems like the first TW in ages that has remembered it's a game about battles first, campaign second.

Also small settlements get sieges for I think... the second garrison upgrade?
    People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.
    -Dan Quayle

Hey I just have a quick question, I can run Attila at medium/some high settings. Will I be able to run Warhammer?

Edit: Nevermind that, just finished installing the game, it runs even smoother than Attila. So I guess that's my first impression, and a good one at that. Fought one battle, Empire vs Bretonnia, and the battle feels much more authentic than the 'one on one' that were present since Shogun 2. Reminds me of Medieval 2, which is a good thing, but with all the cinematic experience of the latter games.
    Last edited by Sulfurion Blackfyre; May 29, 2016 at 06:22 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast