Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWC Total War Warhammer benchmark thread - last updated: 26.12.2016

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: TWC Total War Warhammer benchmark thread - Warhammer does not offer any benchmark anymore (yet?)

we should just list our specs and the avg fps we get
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

Default Re: TWC Total War Warhammer benchmark thread - Warhammer does not offer any benchmark anymore (yet?)

i7-5820K 4.4GHz, Asus X99-DELUXE, Corsair H110i GTX, 850 EVO 1TB, EVGA GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX2.0, Corsair 760T, EVGA 850W.

I have everything ultra with extreme shadows. Screen reflection on ssao and distortion effects. I have a off and tf trilinear. I get 60fps on a 1080p monitor. My 2k monitor I was getting about 20fps with a on x8 and antrox16. Just tried taking it off with my friends monitor and got a great performance boost. I really can't tell the aa settings are off. I'll be back home to try my 2k monitor at the end of the week. See how well that does with no aa. Bites performance hitters are shadows and ssao. So some may want to turn those off. Lowering shadows is like 5 fps difference so I felt extreme was better then medium.

This is my cpu core percentages

1st 100%
    2nd 75%
    3rd 33%
    4th 33%
    5th 33%
    6th 50%

So the game is using all my cores but it is not using my hyper threaded cores on my cpu. It is also not evenly distributing them either. But it is using them too some capacity. Never really checked on other two games so not sure how they faired.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by craziii View Post
    we should just list our specs and the avg fps we get
    avg fps of what? This is not comparable, we'd better wait.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hello everyone,

thanks for your comments and motivation to make this thread alive and finding ways to circumvent the missing benchmark in Warhammer. I really appreciate that you are eager to start things But still I would like to give CA a chance to implement an easy to use benchmark in Warhammer, so we are not wasting too much time while trying to find out other ways. I can remember we've already tried similar things for Rome 2 and Shogun 2 and back in the days were not able to find a proper solution, for example using replays etc.

I know this thread might not be interesting enough at the moment to keep it running, but of course I spent some time already short before the release of Warhammer to keep my own stuff up to date.
    Means I've already benchmarked the existing previous TW games to be able to compare things as soon as possible. This was pretty much needed as the Shogun 2 and Rome 2 benchmarks results have been never reviewed and compared to Attila yet, as far as I know.

Of course I was and I am still very interested how much Warhammer might have improved with the new 64bit engine. So far I have played only one battle on maxed out settings and the performance was pretty well, compared to Attila. This said, it could be that they lowered some stuff (details) to achieve that, or this would be one advantage of the renewed engine. I simply cannot answer that yet.

Instead of keeping all my gathered results sealed I would like to share them with you, although those are naturally lacking any Warhammer figures and conclusions.
    If you are interested into the benchmark first round up for Total War including performance of Shogun 2, Rome 2 and Attila enjoy yourself digging into post #7 that I have just updated.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

DX12 (beta option) and benchmarks for DX11 and DX12 will be live 2PM BST (3PM CEST, 9AM EDT, 6AM PDT) on 30 June. Let the benchmarking begin

System requirements for DX12:
    http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War...m_Requirements

For clarification, all cards listed in the requirements can run DX12. It's just that NVIDIA cards essentially can't do Asynch Compute (because of GPU architecture). Well, the 1070 and 1080 might benefit a little which is why they have a questionmark, lol.

But the other most interesting aspect about DX12 is the much improved multi-threaded CPU draw call (DX command being sent from CPU to GPU) support. So far it has been theorized that in CPU limited situations (e.g. zooming in on a lot of units) the better multi-threading support in DX12 could help boost performance. Now we can finally test this assumption.

The greatest gains can be expected for AMD GPUs because they had comparatively worse DX11 drivers in that regard (draw call performance), especially when a powerful GPU is paired to a weak single core CPU (essentially all AMDs CPUs and lower clocked CPUs in general).
    Last edited by A Barbarian; June 29, 2016 at 10:26 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Thank you for the update. Do you think it is ok to do it now? There might be new drivers coming

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk

I wouldn't wait for the drivers but the patch goes only live tomorrow: 2PM BST (3PM CEST, 9AM EDT, 6AM PDT) on 30 June
    I updated my post from above accordingly.
    Last edited by A Barbarian; June 29, 2016 at 10:25 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

So one has to manually opt in for this beta in the steam game properties I guess?

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

I've updated post #2 with driver links more instructions following once we have hands on the benchmarks and conditions.

First results from TotalWar forums:
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...ns-here#latest
    show worse performance for all NVIDIA cards, even in CPU limited situations (e.g. zoomed in on a lot of units). That sucks, lol.

Most gains can be expected now from fast AMD cards (e.g. Fury) because their performance was so far held back by the lack of optimization in AMDs DX11 drivers (NVIDIA implemented some pseudo-multi-threading for draw calls in DX11), especially when combined with slower CPUs (slow single core speed like AMD CPUs and slower clocked CPUs in general).

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Why does the opt in beta says 'intelhd500series_hotfix' ?
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi Lestat I am confused by the results being presented on totalwar.com

The intelhd beta should not be the dx12 beta but existed with release. I am unsure who has got the patch already and the dx12 beta if there is no new entry at this point of time.

Edit: here is the answer Lestat
    "There's an option in the advanced graphic settings tab that lets you run a graphic benchmark.

Take notes of the results with DX11, then repeat the test with DX12."

So it is on the game no need to subscribe a beta in the game properties.
    Last edited by alQamar; June 30, 2016 at 10:39 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Barbarian the result of Nvidia cards remind me much of Tkmb Raider dx12 where I personally also loose performance instead of facing gains.

I won't be able to deliver results before the end this week. Too much appointments.

Last edited by alQamar; June 30, 2016 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    Barbarian the result of Nvidia cards remind me much of Tkmb Raider dx12 where I personally also loose performance instead of facing gains.
    Yes, it is to be expected that developers need some time to eclipse the performance of well optimized DX11 drivers because they have to re-implement a lot of mechanics themselves in DX12 (e.g. texture management). The NVIDIA DX11 driver is apparently much better optimized than the AMD equivalent which is why we see primarily gains for AMD cards on DX12 (the other reaseon is Asynch Compute support in AMD hardware).

I only expected that NVIDIA cards will at least benefit from DX12 in CPU limited situations because DX12 allows for multi-threaded communication between CPU and GPU. But that doesn't seem to be the case, at least not yet.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

I've read the same over at totalwar.com likely it is your account there.

Besides I have also read fredrins thread to the end of page 3 and nothing really motivates me yet to bother people with benchmarking

All we might serve af TWCenter is comparison for DX11 so people might know what they can expect for their hardware but as I've read the benchmark is only GPU limited like all previous ones. No cpu limit like in Shogun 2 cpu benchmark.

So what shall I do? Call out for benchmarks or just drop the amount of work?

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    Hi Lestat I am confused by the results being presented on totalwar.com

The intelhd beta should not be the dx12 beta but existed with release. I am unsure who has got the patch already and the dx12 beta if there is no new entry at this point of time.

Edit: here is the answer Lestat
    "There's an option in the advanced graphic settings tab that lets you run a graphic benchmark.

Take notes of the results with DX11, then repeat the test with DX12."

So it is on the game no need to subscribe a beta in the game properties.
    From the launcher I can select DX11 or DX12 (chooses DX12) but couldn't find anywhere the benchmark tool ....

Maybe I'll verify my game cache first though.

Anyway since it's almost 1 am am now I guess I'll continue tomorrow night and see how it goes.

So, from my question, do I need to disable back the beta ? Is that beta intended for those who's using the build in intel gpu ?
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Benchmark tool should be in the graphics options like in the past

Benchmark sequence is pretty much garbage:
    - No closeups at all
    - No vegetation
    - No bigger special effects, dust, etc
    - Not really a lot of units visible.

The Attila benchmark was much better with more units, vegetation, special effects, closer camera in parts.

Predictably the sequence is never CPU limited.

Despite the boring benchmark, I did run it:

1920x1080, Ultra, no blood, 115.1 FPS (min 97, max 137), Win7, Driver 361.91, 2x970@1500Mhz@3860Mhz, 4770K@4.3Ghz, 32GB DDR3 2400Mhz@CL10

Note: I ignored the extremely low starting fps (as can be seen in screenshot below) because those are probably a consequence of SLI and not really relevant during gameplay.
    Note: Updated with newer drivers and default NVIDIA SLI profile (patch fixed flickering in default SLI profile):

@alQamar
    I wouldn't require uploads of settings and dxdiag.txt. Yes people might make a mistake but I think it makes posting benches unnecessarily cumbersome and these forums are not very busy anyway.

Last edited by A Barbarian; June 30, 2016 at 02:22 PM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi I ran the DX11 tests and I am not so disappointed by the benchmark scene. It does not contain lots of units indeed but CPU is busy at least around 32-45%. Also smoke, some special effects heat haze is there.
    Unfortunately Afterburner does not work with DX12 as there is no overlay and also the F12 shortcut does not work then for screenshots. What is the tool you use for monitoring and screenshots?

Intel i7 2600K, 4.6 GHz, 4 cores, HT on, Zotac 970 Amp! Extreme, no additional OC. 16 GB DDR3 9-9-9-24 1T, Windows 10 pro Build: 10586.420, Nvidia 368.39, resolution 1920x1080

DirectX 11
    manual: Maxed out settings

Preset: Ultra

Preset: High

Preset: Medium

Preset: Low
    Last edited by alQamar; June 30, 2016 at 03:20 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast