Thread: gamespot review expresses my black ant complaint.

Default gamespot review expresses my black ant complaint.

These guys got my complaint about the camera right. As soon as it gets overhead you cannot see a damned thing. Which is the whole point of a warhammer game for me!
    Older titles (empire and med2) did not have the black ant problem. Takes the joy out of playing and is the major reason I have not pressed the trigger.

The battles are just too quick and gamey to zoom in and zooming out is like watching grass grow. All the detail and colour taken out. Black and white TV.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkMe1KHdllE

It's mainly a black and white affair
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiFy9FjuF9Q
    Last edited by Destraex; May 21, 2016 at 09:02 PM.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Default Re: gamespot review expresses my black ant complaint.

Try playing on "small" unit sizes mode. Less men shooting, less going on. You can play at a lower height because your army would be smaller, while the models are the exact same size.

I mean the game does go by fast, but there are usually mods which slow combat, and you can always play in slow-mo or just watch the replays after for more cinematic enjoyment.

That is an issue since rtw2, makes all the graphic fidelity pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by emcdunna View Post
    Try playing on "small" unit sizes mode. Less men shooting, less going on. You can play at a lower height because your army would be smaller, while the models are the exact same size.

I mean the game does go by fast, but there are usually mods which slow combat, and you can always play in slow-mo or just watch the replays after for more cinematic enjoyment.

omfg. Thanks dude. I'm sure he's never thought of that, it's only likely he's been involved in this scene of TW at least... ten more years then you.

But I guess you think LESS is MORE? ...

I remember the days of 2d Sprites which looked BETTER then our 3d models at distance. Plus... did wonders for framerates. I don't really blame you for your ignorance, but I do think your comments are ignorant. You have no idea what you are missing.
    Son of the Ancient Archaon, House of Siblesz

I've played since rome 1. Never got super irritated with this.

Besides, with warhammer, there are huge monsters and flying beasts to look at from afar! Just play an army with loads of flying creatures, troll-sized guys, and monsters, like chaos warriors.

Those can easily be seen from the max cam height

I have been playing total war since the shogun 1 demo. I am an old fart. I like my armies to look and feel the way they did in medieval2 and empire.
    There is no reason for me to play with tiny unit sizes when older total war games with 3D models did it just fine. I would point out that they changed engines and since then it's
    been really hard for my to motivate myself to play total war even though I own every single total war campaign and addon. I just don't get any use out of them anymore.
    The new engine instead of having me look at cinematic and colourful armies has me fighting icons and black ants against each other. It's just a real shame.
    In the past people have denied it's a problem but this review finally calls it for what it is. Air Traffic Controller wars.

Here is the next total war 3D experience; icon wars. No eye strain here.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

I think an option would be to like set some default camera height or max ceiling you can define in the options.

I definitely see this being an issue and its probably in CAs interest to best show off the awesome graphics of unit hordes instead of having black ants. Often game companies limit max zoom and such just to have an effect like that.
    Restricting us is probably not the best solution so I think the best option would be more options and a more eye-pleasing default setting.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

If the game structure will be anything similar to previous titles, then after PFM release I can make like a dozen camera mods in few minutes if someone has specific wishes.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

PonySlaystation's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    If the game structure will be anything similar to previous titles, then after PFM release I can make like a dozen camera mods in few minutes if someone has specific wishes.
    yeah, im sure there will be plenty of mods available soon, which will allow to customize the game, so (almost) everyone can have the gameplay they are comfortable with...including camera mods. i mean the TWC modding-community saved the trainwrack Rome2

just compare Rome2 shortly after release with Rome2 with Divide et Impera or other wonderful mods. i am really looking forward to the stuff the modders will create for TW:Warhammer (although being limited a bit by the license-nazis called Games Workshop).

currently i am quite confident that TW:Warhammer will refresh the franchise and will be one of the best releases yet. you can see CA is also pretty confident with their product by letting many streamers/youtubers test the game before the release (which could be very risky if the game isnt like they promised).
    Last edited by PonySlaystation; May 22, 2016 at 10:37 AM.
    Ferrum Noricum

TEAM SKAVEN
    TEAM DARK ELVES
    TEAM TOMB KINGS

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Renown View Post

omfg. Thanks dude. I'm sure he's never thought of that, it's only likely he's been involved in this scene of TW at least... ten more years then you.

But I guess you think LESS is MORE? ...

I remember the days of 2d Sprites which looked BETTER then our 3d models at distance. Plus... did wonders for framerates. I don't really blame you for your ignorance, but I do think your comments are ignorant. You have no idea what you are missing.
    Age of Empires 2. That was the crowning glory.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Make a cinematic camera mod.

I would like to see a graphics mod that highlights the alpha lighting that was shown in the battle of black fire pass.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; May 22, 2016 at 05:35 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts.

Their are mods for this.
    And you can zoom out to get the tactical overview.

But yeah, their should be more room to zoom out on the battle map, without going into the tactical map overview.

They prob did this for the GPU/CPU power performance. Cause it would probably be very hard for every processor to put so many detailed units on full display.

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

It's ironic that the zoom-level which most players will spend 90% of their time at during battles is the least visually informative and least aesthetically pleasing level to be at, to the extent that it severely impairs the gameplay experience. It proves how misdirected CA's graphical focus has been for a while now.

I don't know why since I'm not a PC guru, but I've found a way to minimize this problem in Attila at least.

My PC can run Attila on max settings with a 35-50 framerate depending, however on max settings I had the black ant problem.

I turned the graphics down a bit since I wanted to get 60 fps for a recording and voila the problem is almost gone except for some weird diagonal angles that it happens but I can mostly tell that the little dudes down there are actually men marching or whatever and not toned down rigs of animated splines!!

I don't know why I get better LOD quality with lower options, bad optimisation?

http:// free photo hosting

Notice how the archer unit that is on the top right part of the screenshot has all yellow clothes, but the one that is a bit "closer" has distinct different colors. It's the same unit but I guess with these settings there is a limit on view distance Vs. detail and here lies the problem.

There is no LOD setting to tinker with in TW so far, like in say Skyrim.

Is this what you guys mean or did I get it all wrong?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

First thing I noticed when I saw videos of Warhammer battles, it's Rome 2 all over again