Thread: Diplomacy Mod (yet another one!)

Default Diplomacy Mod (yet another one!)

Hello, I'm a new member to this forum, but I've been playing the Total War series since the first Shogun. Being a student and under constant time constraints, I've never been able to take part in the community. Now, as the time is right, I am happy to announce the release of my first mod.

Essentially this is a diplomacy mod that aims to make bargaining with the other clans a bit more realistic. Cutting to the chase, the main features are:
    1. Breaking of alliances and trade agreements results in a slightly higher negative hit, but the effect does goes down faster.
    2. Backstabbing your allies (declaring war on them) has a higher negative hit as does expanding too fast.
    3. Spying or acts of sabotage also carry a negative hit, but the effects go away faster.
    4. Long standing trade agreements are highly valued and gives a strong diplomatic boost.
    5. Clans can get more threatened by your rapidly growing power and can declare war on you.
    6. The realm divide has been changed. You get an initial hit of -40 which drops every turn till 0.
    7. A number of extra perks have been added on becoming shogun (after holding Kyoto for 4 turns) :

• +2 to unit morale : to simulate how soldiers would enjoy the backing of the "legal" government
    • Great Guard cavalry and the Nihon Maru (available by default)
    • +5% to tax income
    • +10% to town growth
    • +100 to diplomatic relations : No one would want to get in the Shogun's bad books, now would they?
    • +2 to happiness across all provinces
    • -2 morale to enemy forces : Ordinarily, troops would not want to oppose the Shogun.
    • +50% boost to all research : to simulate a time of peaceful development
    • +10% to town growth
    • +1 honor to daimyo (available by default)

Note: The incumbent Ashikaga Shogunate also benefits from the morale bonuses. To take down the shogunate, you need to truly master the will of your men.

Installation

Download and unzip the zip file and place the .pack file in Shogun2/data folder.
    Get it here.

All suggestions are welcome.

Default Re: Diplomacy Mod (yet another one!)

I apologize for my sloppy description above, but I wanted to clarify the +100 diplomatic relations given when one becomes shogun. This boost is meant to simulate the respect the clans had for the shogun (especially the minor clans), and how they would choose to side with the government. Also, this boost tends to create two opposing sides-one consisting of your allies and vassals (supporting the new shogunate) and another of your staunch enemies (opposing you). Clans that were neutral to you earlier, tend to choose your side, considering your new-found status.

However, one must note that the diplomatic boost is not very large and provides a effect similar to what giving hostages or marriage would initially have. This means that your allies can and will turn against you, if you oppose them. Clans already at war with you are not going to change sides just because you have become shogun.

The only challenge lies in keeping your allies and vassals loyal in the time period between the shogun declaring war on you and you becoming the shogun yourself. Thus the mod provides an exciting shogunate gameplay as you can set about uniting Japan once and for all.

There is something I noticed while testing just now. The diplomatic penalty of -40 is doubled to -80 when playing an easy campaign. I usually play at normal or hard and at these levels, the penalty is just -40.

I'm not sure if this doubling happens to just this effect or for all other diplomatic effects.

PS: Sorry for the multiple posts. I can't edit my posts yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukinari View Post
    The realm divide has been changed. You get an initial hit of -40 which drops every turn till 0.

• +100 to diplomatic relations : No one would want to get in the Shogun's bad books, now would they?
    I have only started learning to play so I don't know about balance, but with -40 going up to 0, wouldn't realm divide be a non-event after a while? I thought it should be the opposite with more and more clans waking up to the threat you pose to the rest of Japan. What is the rate of decay for realm divide? +2 per turn?

While I understand your reasoning for the boost of relation after taking Kyoto, +100 after only 4 turns (and other bonus) seems like game over for AI. If someone triggered Realm Divide by taking Kyoto, then they would only need to hold on for 4 turns for things to settle down? If that's true, then it feels like too easy for the player.

If you can include diplo numbers with your other changes, that would be great. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by xploring View Post
    I have only started learning to play so I don't know about balance, but with -40 going up to 0, wouldn't realm divide be a non-event after a while?I thought it should be the opposite with more and more clans waking up to the threat you pose to the rest of Japan.
    By default, realm divide tends to have a greater and greater negative effect on diplomacy (as clans realize the threat your growing power poses). However, it also makes diplomacy by end-game impossible as every clan, including your long-term allies and vassals (who may stand to gain something with your power), takes up arms against you. This mod will make realm divide a non-existent event, after around 13 turns. This serves to represent a factor of intimidation that always smoothed along diplomacy in the Sengoku Jidai.

What is the rate of decay for realm divide? +2 per turn?
    Realm divide decays at +3 per turn.

While I understand your reasoning for the boost of relation after taking Kyoto, +100 after only 4 turns (and other bonus) seems like game over for AI. If someone triggered Realm Divide by taking Kyoto, then they would only need to hold on for 4 turns for things to settle down? If that's true, then it feels like too easy for the player.
    That may be true. I originally tested the mod with a Chosokabe campaign (on hard) and triggered realm divide by taking a province other than Kyoto. Right now, I'm playing a Oda campaign (normal) to trigger realm divide by taking Kyoto and seeing if the gameplay becomes too easy afterward.

If anyone who has tried my mod could comment, that would be really helpful in adjusting the values.

If you can include diplo numbers with your other changes, that would be great.
    The major effects are mentioned here.

Thanks for replying. What about long term allies and marriage? If long-term allies and trade partners mean a lot, then realm divide penalty could be increased to be more dramatic but still manageable. Well, that's just a suggestion, I like your other changes.

What about long term allies and marriage? If long-term allies and trade partners mean a lot, then realm divide penalty could be increased to be more dramatic but still manageable.
    If the current diplomatic boost turns out to make the game too easy, I'll give realm divide a greater penalty (and possibly, a slower decay rate) .

Is this compatible with FotS?

This mod does not alter the realm divide in FOTS (I think the default version totally makes sense). But, yes, it is compatible with FOTS. If you want one for FOTS, please specify what changes you would like, and I can make one.

Hello, I am about to start a new campaign after a long time, definitelly want to try with a more reasonable realm divide. Thank you very much!

Poslato sa NEM-L21 uz pomoć Tapatoka

realIK17's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Yukinari View Post
    This mod does not alter the realm divide in FOTS (I think the default version totally makes sense). But, yes, it is compatible with FOTS. If you want one for FOTS, please specify what changes you would like, and I can make one.
    Please make one that modifies realm divide for FotS and RotS. If not, could you post instructions here? I will then modify the files on my end. Thx.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk