Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Campaign Map

Miszel's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Campaign Map

I was not following that discussion at all, so maybe this was alredy adressed, it needs to be stressed though. These are not XVII century fortifications,we checked our sources and we knew images you posted.
    I decided to go with the late, XV century look, if you look closer at the Bernard von Breydenbach image you had posted yourself; you will see that the wall line remained intact. You can see the fort and towers guarding the old harbour on the left side of image for example are exactly in the same place.
    The fire and earthquake while very devastating didnt touch the walls.
    The the anti artillery bastions had been added later and they werent used in our model.

I can understand anger of some of my team members because you seemed to believe that we didnt do our research.
    tl:dr We did our research and the result is an effect of a serie of choices that we can defend.

With that being said, i think i will remake Ragusa in some ways in order to make it consistent with the rest of the cities - because im learning while doing it last model certainly will be a lot different from the first.
    In ragusa for example i didnt add the merlons because i wanted to save polygons(You can see that there are only 4 of them, on late Minceta fort), this will be revisited because now i see that other moders use much more detailed models. First thing i did for Florence were those sweet cuboid long italian merlon-equipped towers.

Meanwhile work on the italian unique cities progresses.
    Can you guess the cities?

Last edited by Miszel; June 20, 2016 at 11:25 AM.

is the vatican city one of them?,they look very good!

Miszel's Avatar Domesticus

Nope, modern look of St Peters Basilica is too late for us.

Dusan Silni's Avatar Tiro

The down right pic is Venice - church of St. Marco but other pics I can"t recognize

vikior's Avatar Semisalis

Is Forli the left one?

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Miszel View Post
    I can understand anger of some of my team members because you seemed to believe that we didnt do our research.
    tl:dr We did our research and the result is an effect of a serie of choices that we can defend.
    The problem was that I understood it as you doing your research, and going the other way regardless.

These are not XVII century fortifications,we checked our sources and we knew images you posted.
    I decided to go with the late, XV century look, if you look closer at the Bernard von Breydenbach image you had posted yourself; you will see that the wall line remained intact. You can see the fort and towers guarding the old harbour on the left side of image for example are exactly in the same place.
    The the anti artillery bastions had been added later and they werent used in our model.
    I do not see it at all, I numbered the issues in the following image;

http://i.imgur.com/1BjEFbO.jpg

1) Minčeta fort is not even in the image, most likely because only the lower, wall level thick part was there without the tall tower.

2) St. Johns towers are circular medieval towers, not semi circular wall protrusions.

3) The towers are on the same height as the walls and again, the walls have no morions.

The model looks great, and again, I believe the reason why I have a problem with it visually is mainly the lack of morions.

It is not as if I dissed anyones work, in my original post, I merely stated that it looks post medieval and that perhaps morions should be added, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by dcadastro View Post
    Personally, I am against it. Opinions and sources will invariably diverge in some points. The way I see it, too many people participating in the decision-making only slow things down. If its up to me, the decisions will be made by me and the team. After the beta release, feedback from the public will be most welcome. After all, that's the purpose of betas

Thank you very much for your insight and images. I made the research and provided the references for the Ragusa model, which was then brilliantly made by Miszel. I used a miniature I have of present day Dubrovnik, plus images I researched all around the internet, including the two in your post (Bernard von Breydenbach, Peregrinatio in terram sanctam, 1485; and View of Dubrovnik. Konrad von Grünenberg, Pilgerreise von Konstanz nach Jerusalem, 1486). Hrobatos, a very competent historian of our team (and who is also a Croatian) provided some more insight of what parts should not be in our timeframe, such as the short, thick outer walls added some centuries later for protection against cannon fire. He agreed with the model concept. These are some other pictures we used:

Ideogram of Dubrovnik. Jacopo Filippo from Bergamo, Supplementumchronicarum, 1490

Drawing of the model of Dubrovnik on the St. Blaisesculpture dated mid-15th century, Wendelin Boeheim

(Dubrovnik painting, for reference of city organization and layout pre-1667 earthquake)

That being said, my point is that there was a lot of research put into it and I stand by that model. While the merlons would indeed be accurate, the strat models are not supposed to be extremelly detailed and I think it looks excelent already.
    totaly agree!

I was not following that discussion at all, so maybe this was alredy adressed, it needs to be stressed though. These are not XVII century fortifications,we checked our sources and we knew images you posted.

With that being said, i think i will remake Ragusa in some ways in order to make it consistent with the rest of the cities - because im learning while doing it last model certainly will be a lot different from the first.
    In ragusa for example i didnt add the merlons because i wanted to save polygons(You can see that there are only 4 of them, on late Minceta fort), this will be revisited because now i see that other moders use much more detailed models. First thing i did for Florence were those sweet cuboid long italian merlon-equipped towers.

Meanwhile work on the italian unique cities progresses.
    Can you guess the cities?

Ohhh so beautiful!!!!

well
    blue one is probably Florence, the white one is a Venice...for other Im not sure..
    Last edited by ZmajOgnjeni; June 24, 2016 at 08:20 AM.

Dusan Silni's Avatar Tiro

This map is a really stunning work with so many details, good job man

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

The mpa pictures look mamzing. great work!

yep, serbianwolf is just stating facts actualy..anyway, best to ignore that, and stick to campaing map. It looks wonderfull

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

ANYMORE FLAMING WILL BE DEALTH WITH SEVERELY. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Thank you a lot, Wallachian!

These are the early Austrian pics that got lost:

I also present to you, the Dalmatian coastline.

Please note that everything other than the coastlines may be changed. The focus here is only the coastlines.

Thank you a lot, Wallachian!

These are the early Austrian pics that got lost:

wow superb!

I also present to you, the Dalmatian coastline.

Please note that everything other than the coastlines may be changed. The focus here is only the coastlines.

thinking about some pirate units lol

the best depiction of Krk and Cres i ever saw in a strategy game,EU does not have this 2 ilands!!

P.S.
    I lived on one of them

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    ANYMORE FLAMING WILL BE DEALTH WITH SEVERELY. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
    hmm my post was erased, but xenophobic isnt?! very very nice

Quote Originally Posted by ZmajOgnjeni View Post
    wow superb!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmajOgnjeni View Post

thinking about some pirate units lol
    Quote Originally Posted by thekingsmen View Post
    the best depiction of Krk and Cres i ever saw in a strategy game
    Thank you, guys

Quote Originally Posted by thekingsmen View Post
    EU does not have this 2 ilands!!
    thekingsmen, I didn't understand. What is EU?

europa universalis but no other game that i know of and i know original games,they never depict my coast this precise