Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Civilization VI

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Civilization VI

http://www.pcgamer.com/new-looks-and...ivilization-6/

PC Gamer put this article out after attending an event where they were able to play a splice of the game. Definitely think that workers are now builders with limited uses is an interesting change, I'll have to see how it really plays out.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

those that are interested Quil18 goes through some Civ VI pre release gameplay footage

https://youtu.be/2qzC5cUQcFk

https://youtu.be/ZUr5nf3ALCg

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Yeah I read the pc gamer article and saw Quil18's report........

I feel this is properly going to be the best civ ever!
    The only problem I have with it currently is just the art-style, but I will love to love it.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaton View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

• Civ VI is not a complete new entry in the series but more like a further refinement of CivV with it´s own twists
    • Cities occupy more than one field and expand through districts in which you build Wonders or buildings (ala Endless Legend).E.g if you wish to build a library you need to build it on a science district. There are twelve different type of districts which have different boni depending on the terrain they are built and and which sourounds it. A production district is more effective next to or on a hill, a commercial district makes more money next to the sea or a river.
    • Players can boost their research by completing quests. However these quests depend on the environment which the player is in. E.g a coastal civ researching saling will do so much faster than a landlocked civ, effectively encouraging players to consider the environment their civs are in and adjusting their tech paths accordingly. This way the devs want to introduce some plausibility into the world.
    • The map consist of hexagonal fields. One unit can occupy one field, however two units can be combined into one, e.g a solder&support unit or a soldier&civilian unit. Later in the game two identical units can be combined into a corps or three units can be combined into an army. These new units are much stronger then their seperate entities.
    • Other things are improvements to diplomacy, stronger differences between civs, the return of social policies and Co-op Multiplayer

Anyway, going back to the OP for a quick point...

It should be noted that CivII was an extension of CivI, and CivIV was an extension of CivIII's engine, and sorry guys you're not getting a new Civ until CivVII. If you didn't like CivV, skip CivVI, because given their patterns it's completely logical for them to extend CivV into CivVI.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Civ IV is hardly the extension of Civ III.
    Everything from the engine (Gamebryo for Civ IV, the AC engine for Civ III) to the programming language it was written in (Python with a touch of C++ objects for Civ IV, as opposed to Civ III's C++ fortress of order and rigid structure) is different between the two. In fact from a technical point of view Civ IV has more in common with Oblivion with whom it shares an engine and the Python scripts than with Civ III.
    Civ V on the other hand uses stuff from Civ III like it's Mardi Gras and the scripts and mechanics are beads. Even Civ V's engine is a rebuild of the Firaxis in house engine used for Civ III and SMAC. Civ VI will feature the same engine only with "facelifts"
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; May 30, 2016 at 11:15 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

3 new screenshots: http://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-...vilization-vi/

The screenshot of the map shows how much they looked at Endless Legend. First the additional city tiles and small army stacking, now that

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shuu View Post
    Civ IV is hardly the extension of Civ III.
    Everything from the engine (Gamebryo for Civ IV, the AC engine for Civ III) to the programming language it was written in (Python with a touch of C++ objects for Civ IV, as opposed to Civ III's C++ fortress of order and rigid structure) is different between the two. In fact from a technical point of view Civ IV has more in common with Oblivion with whom it shares an engine and the Python scripts than with Civ III.
    Civ V on the other hand uses stuff from Civ III like it's Mardi Gras and the scripts and mechanics are beads. Even Civ V's engine is a rebuild of the Firaxis in house engine used for Civ III and SMAC. Civ VI will feature the same engine only with "facelifts"
    I said an extension of the engine. Not an extension of the game. Walk yourself into the wall trying to parse the difference between the two with how much they did. It's literally like saying, and this is going to shock you, that Deus Ex extended the Unreal engine.

Hilariously drastic engine changes from the ground up for Civilization games don't come still but every other game whether you like it or not. And that's an observed pattern.
    Last edited by Gaidin; June 11, 2016 at 12:02 AM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    I said an extension of the engine. Not an extension of the game. Walk yourself into the wall trying to parse the difference between the two with how much they did. It's literally like saying, and this is going to shock you, that Deus Ex extended the Unreal engine.

Hilariously drastic engine changes from the ground up for Civilization games don't come still but every other game whether you like it or not. And that's an observed pattern.
    CivII was an extension of CivI
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

This game looks better and better. The intro is really cool

Quil18 is doing a lets play as England using a pre release build.

https://youtu.be/k_2uYOguayE

The art style looks good as does the game. It's early days but I can't help thinking it should be called Civ 5.9

Bonus points for whoever thought of a pre order dlc bonus of the Aztecs that will be availiable to everybody 3 months after release. I know it's an incentive for people to pre order the digital deluxe version still made me chuckle though

Putting it on the wishlist and waiting for a Steam sale at some point.

finally cities won't need to be right on the coast to build navies

Still hate the Art style but from what I've seen it has some very neat features, liking the districts and unique Great People.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Probably my favorite of the bunch they announced, this is going to be pretty good! This makes up for France's ruler tbh

Also, Teddy Roosevelt is looking less like a caricature now, more realistic looking than before.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.

Nice choice of Scythia

Though I wish they would release recomended system specs

Glad they're adding new civs and mixing up the faction leaders as well. Pity the usual tools on youtube are up in arms about France not having Napoleon (again). Judging by some of the wording I suspect additional faction leaders are going to be added later anyhow.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Glad they're adding new civs and mixing up the faction leaders as well. Pity the usual tools on youtube are up in arms about France not having Napoleon (again). Judging by some of the wording I suspect additional faction leaders are going to be added later anyhow.
    I would have preferred someone else for France's ruler, such as de Gaulle or Louis XIV.

Finally they've released system requirements

Minimum

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i3 2.5 Ghz or AMD Phenom II 2.6 Ghz or greater
    MEMORY: 4 GB RAM
    HARD DRIVE: 12 GB or more
    DVD-ROM: Required for disc-based installation
    VIDEO CARD: 1 GB DirectX 11 Video Card (AMD 5570 or nVidia 450)

Recommended
    PROCESSOR: Fourth generation Intel Core i5 2.5 Ghz or AMD FX8350 4.0 Ghz or greater
    MEMORY: 8 GB RAM
    HARD DRIVE: 12 GB or more
    DVD-ROM: Required for disc-based installation
    VIDEO CARD: 2 GB DirectX 11 Video Card (AMD 7970 or nVidia 770 or greater)

Seems a bit much given the grpahics and mechanics. I just hope it's not as poorly optimized as Civ 5 and beyond earth.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

yeah big maps on civ v were a nightmare late game. The nto the renaissance scenario was a horror because of it, despite its great setting

And the mp was terrible, hugely unstable

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Looks doesnt matter as long as the gameplay is good. I play since CIV 3 and i love these types of games. What we need is more strategy
    Last edited by Papay; September 24, 2016 at 02:07 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast