Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Civilization VI

Akhenaton's Avatar Decanus

Default Civilization VI

No one´s started a thread yet ?

Link to Screenshots

Looks kind of cartoony for my taste, then again Civ IV also looked cartoony so I´m not going to judge on that front.

Here´s a link to the article, but since it´s in german, I´ll write a short summary below.
    EDIT: Found another article, this time in english. Also includes a summary of new features.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

• Civ VI is not a complete new entry in the series but more like a further refinement of CivV with it´s own twists
    • Cities occupy more than one field and expand through districts in which you build Wonders or buildings (ala Endless Legend).E.g if you wish to build a library you need to build it on a science district. There are twelve different type of districts which have different boni depending on the terrain they are built and and which sourounds it. A production district is more effective next to or on a hill, a commercial district makes more money next to the sea or a river.
    • Players can boost their research by completing quests. However these quests depend on the environment which the player is in. E.g a coastal civ researching saling will do so much faster than a landlocked civ, effectively encouraging players to consider the environment their civs are in and adjusting their tech paths accordingly. This way the devs want to introduce some plausibility into the world.
    • The map consist of hexagonal fields. One unit can occupy one field, however two units can be combined into one, e.g a solder&support unit or a soldier&civilian unit. Later in the game two identical units can be combined into a corps or three units can be combined into an army. These new units are much stronger then their seperate entities.
    • Other things are improvements to diplomacy, stronger differences between civs, the return of social policies and Co-op Multiplayer

Last edited by Akhenaton; May 11, 2016 at 12:48 PM.

Default Re: Civilization VI

looks pretty, but let's hope it's not further dumbed down. since they reintroduced stacking of units but in a limited way and with support units, maybe the the AI might be more competent this time at engaging, or it could just be another area for them to fail at

they need to get multiplayer right this time, and fix some really glaring design issues like a fleet of planes each taking their turn lasting several minutes. also diplomacy needs some work, in Civ 5, when you're waiting for the AI to take their turn, you have to manually confirm each of their insults, which by the mid-game on the harder difficulties, it's a matter of everyone hating you, so there's a long queue of characters interrupting the programming to have you confirm an insult, it's mind boggling
    Last edited by snuggans; May 11, 2016 at 03:53 PM.

I also hope that they also adress the issue of expansion. In my (somewhat limited) experience with the game, the AI is slow to settle new regions. As a result a peaceful game can last even until 1500AD! That´s quite boring honestly and what keeps me the most from playing CivV.

Earl Dibbles Jr's Avatar Campidoctor
    On a need-to-know basis, and you don't need to know.

Game looks like it belongs on android, not PC. Based on the "new" mechanics they've revealed, I can't distinguish this from Civ 5. Certainly not worth $60 USD and I'm predicting another Beyond Earth fiasco.

So according to this article CivVI is going to have all of the features of CivV from the start. That means things,like espionage,religion,tourism and trade will not be added in expansions. I like that.

Meelis13's Avatar You fight like a cow!
    Citizen

well, i cant say im not excited about it- being civ fan since civ 1. HOWEVER, i do dislike how it looks. Also, i think i wont be buying it until down the line when it has enough mods out
    Heidinn veor- dark age mod for M2TW now recruiting scripter/coder

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I'm fine with the look, its clean and easy to distinguish everything, as of BNW my biggest issue with Civ V is that everything tends to blend together visually.

Definitely keeping an eye on it, and I'm a fan of some of the stuff they've announced (with how like cities work now).
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Yuuucck I hate the cartooney art style. Not sure about the changes in mechanics, but if it's out in five months then hey-ho.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Meelis13's Avatar You fight like a cow!
    Citizen

Rex, there are easier and prettier ways of doing so- think ethnic units mod for civ V for example
    Heidinn veor- dark age mod for M2TW now recruiting scripter/coder

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Expandable cities, specialized tiles, and units embedded iis something they obviously took from Endless Legend.

Which isnt a bad thing, cause its an awesome game

Looks like 2009-10 graphics, and apparently not that many new features.

+Most likely we will get shallow stereotypical representations of civilizations again.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post

looks pretty, but let's hope it's not further dumbed down.
    No it looks awful. I can't play a strategy game that looks like Jeff Koons designed it. I hope they reconsider but I doubt they will. I guess they aren't making Civ for me anymore.

just went back and looked at previous Civ screenshots and im not really seeing the disconnect, i certainly dont miss the spaghetti roads for one

Civ II was such a great game back then, then the devs became lazy. I didn't enjoy Civ V and I have an hard time understanding why the playerbase is still so high, plus the DLC policy was atrocious. Civ VI is a Civ too far imo.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meelis13 View Post
    Rex, there are easier and prettier ways of doing so- think ethnic units mod for civ V for example
    That doesn't really fix the greater issue of everything looking muddy and samey color wise. Nothing is truly distinict, which according to the art director is why they went this route. And I am tending to agree with him.

also, they're bringing back Wonder videos like in IV

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/05/13...iv-6-ign-first
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

They've also already confirmed ethnic units will back in like Civ4 (or at least BtS). I also don't mind the art style as long as it isn't simplified like CivRev which it doesn't seem to be and as long as districts aren't colour coded like they seem to be at the minute.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Never played Civ before, but this reminds me of Age of Empires Online. The cartoony graphics ruined the game and the series in general. So. Watch out, Civ fans. FarmCivil could be the last one.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Hardcore civ players only use strategic view anyway.

How the look of a game can ruin it, is beyond me. If anything ruins age of empires for me, its the horrible pathfinding that makes Empire TW's AI even look brilliant.

Besides, in comparison its not even that different, just more colourfull and detailed

http://imgur.com/a/DtNA6

First thought was no second Civ:BE expansion... oh well they've kicked that game into the long grass...

A very generic Civ trailer. Good to see they are making some improvements though especially to the 1 unit per tile system which I don't feel is a total success in V. Just bring back SOD and be done with it!
    I understand they want to make this game more accessable to newcomers so I don't know how much they will take onboard from CivRev

Let's just see how this one pans out

@Dr Legend try out http://www.freeciv.org/ well made open source Civ clone

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Yuuucck I hate the cartooney art style. Not sure about the changes in mechanics, but if it's out in five months then hey-ho.
    There are better things to spend the power on.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast