Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2016/17 Football transfer thread.

Default Re: 2016/17 Football transfer thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    Nah.

And Pogba official for 105 million euros. I hate to say but Juventus probably made the best transfer operation of all times with this kid. Man Utd look like fools.

Plus I'm not even sure he's worth all that money.
    Probably, but they've ruined it all by signing Higuain for this sum. This has to be the worst transfer operation in history.

Why? I get he's overpriced, but he's a top notch striker.

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Wow that Pogba deal is huge and a massive overpayment. You can get both Raheem Sterling and John Stones for the same price... Actually when I look at it in that way it does not feel quite as horrible. I am however worried about how all this young talent will fit into Mourinhos philosophy as he already got Ibrahimovic, Carrick and Rooney .

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Of those i seen more of?
    Is Indi and lindelof, because of the Portuguese league. Lindelof is a beast though. I wouldnt be suprised if he will go to a Madrid or Barca or Bayern or something like that in the near future. He is that good imo, and still young.
    What are the strengths of Lindelöf? He is breaking into the Swedish national team from nowhere and I am not even sure on if he will be our main central defender or right back.

What are the strengths of Lindelöf? He is breaking into the Swedish national team from nowhere and I am not even sure on if he will be our main central defender or right back.
    He is best at CB in my opinion. He has history in Swedish national team. He was Under 21 european champion. I wouldnt say he was breaking into the national team from nowhere. He has been one of your talented promise players for some time. But that said, he made a great last season in Benfica. You might have seen him play in Champions league as well. And right now has become clear he is the one to replace Luisao in Benfica. As Luisao is getting very old, and have lost skills. At least it seems that way.

Civitate

He is best at CB in my opinion. He has history in Swedish national team. He was Under 21 european champion. I wouldnt say he was breaking into the national team from nowhere. He has been one of your talented promise players for some time. But that said, he made a great last season in Benfica. You might have seen him play in Champions league as well. And right now has become clear he is the one to replace Luisao in Benfica. As Luisao is getting very old, and have lost skills. At least it seems that way.
    He only made it to the Euro-21 due to an injury on Emil Krafth and then did it so well that he was selected for the team of the tournament, so the "from nowhere" include the Euro-21. At the Euros 2016 he played as the right back after an injury to Mikael Lustig but my impression is that he is a natural CB which is why I am curious about his strengths, is he fast, good in the air, a good passer etc when playing as a CB? As a RB he is quite okay but it did not feel like when for example Ivanovic was moved from CB to RB in Chelsea.

So, Guardiola is leaving out of the CL list Nasri, Mangala and Bony.

Bony was signed a year and half ago 28 mil £. I thought it was money thrown out of the window back then, this basically settles it.
    Mangala was signed 2 years ago for 42 mil £. Again overpriced, but I thought age justified the investment. He's still 25 but Guardiola doesn't seem to have the patience to wait for him.
    Nasri, I'm not sure. He has been an upper tier player for years but his performances have been declining. At least he granted a number of quality seasons before being shown the door. The rest is typical City waste of money.

50 Mil would be overpriced, 90m is a travesty. His stats are good, but he's not the uber-player that would win them the CL. Plus he's already 29. I would lynch the manager if my club would do this.

50 Mil would be overpriced, 90m is a travesty. His stats are good, but he's not the uber-player that would win them the CL. Plus he's already 29. I would lynch the manager if my club would do this.

So, Guardiola is leaving out of the CL list Nasri, Mangala and Bony.
    Nasri, I'm not sure. He has been an upper tier player for years but his performances have been declining. At least he granted a number of quality seasons before being shown the door. The rest is typical City waste of money.
    Nasri is a rotten apple, he's been an absolute zero for years. It speaks for Guardiola's squad managment if he gets rid off this scoundrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    He only made it to the Euro-21 due to an injury on Emil Krafth and then did it so well that he was selected for the team of the tournament, so the "from nowhere" include the Euro-21. At the Euros 2016 he played as the right back after an injury to Mikael Lustig but my impression is that he is a natural CB which is why I am curious about his strengths, is he fast, good in the air, a good passer etc when playing as a CB? As a RB he is quite okay but it did not feel like when for example Ivanovic was moved from CB to RB in Chelsea.

Well regardless i already had notice of his nice performances in under 21 euro.
    Either way It seems Chelsea is after him for 30 milion euros. So it is the latest news here in Portugal.
    That and Inter offering 45 milions for Joao Mario.

Also Mourinho seems to want Jose Fonte of Southampton for his united.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; August 10, 2016 at 04:45 PM.

Nasri got himself caught in parties with cannabis and came back to the first day of training horribly out of shape. It's rather safe to say he won't be play for Man City the next season.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Perplexing.

We're the laughing stock of Europe, no point in trying to blag our way round it. Wenger, the board, whoever is responsible have made deal after deal descend into farce.

Media reporting we put in £41m bid for Draxler yesterday. Don't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Perplexing.

We're the laughing stock of Europe, no point in trying to blag our way round it. Wenger, the board, whoever is responsible have made deal after deal descend into farce.

Media reporting we put in £41m bid for Draxler yesterday. Don't see that happening.
    Midia here in Portugal says wenger is after Brahimi, as second choice, after the failed negotiations with Maherz.
    Porto is trying to sell him right now , and the new manager doesnt want him.

I doubt about the numbers released though 46 milion euros seems a bit hard to belive. But with Wenger everything is possible. I think they might sell him by 20 milion or so.

Personaly i would be glad to see him go. He is crap. I think wenger might be nuts. But then again, he might do something out of him. If Wenger is playing 4-3-3
    It would be still very short for Arsenal imo. Wich imo needs... key players for every sector right now.

I have my doubts about this news. But i wouldnt be suprised either.

Why doesnt wenger get lacazette? he would be perfect with Alexis. in a 4-4-2 formation wich i think would suit Arsenal best to be honest.
    A proper CB wouldnt be too hard to find as well.

Also i read Chelsea is offering 70 milion euros for James Rodriguez.

Midia here in Portugal says wenger is after Brahimi, as second choice, after the failed negotiations with Maherz.
    Porto is trying to sell him right now , and the new manager doesnt want him.

I doubt about the numbers released though 46 milion euros seems a bit hard to belive. But with Wenger everything is possible. I think they might sell him by 20 milion or so.

Personaly i would be glad to see him go. He is crap. I think wenger might be nuts. But then again, he might do something out of him. If Wenger is playing 4-3-3
    It would be still very short for Arsenal imo. Wich imo needs... key players for every sector right now.

I have my doubts about this news. But i wouldnt be suprised either.

Why doesnt wenger get lacazette? he would be perfect with Alexis. in a 4-4-2 formation wich i think would suit Arsenal best to be honest.
    A proper CB wouldnt be too hard to find as well.
    Brahimi looks like a decent option for Arsenal IMO. Everton wants him too.

Also i read Chelsea is offering 70 milion euros for James Rodriguez.
    I think that's a . Our midfield is overloaded, even with some youngsters , Salah and Cuardado out. I expect more of them to depart, most likely Pedro/Moses/Kenedy. We do need a defender though , preferably one not costing £60m (Kalidou Koulibaly)

I think when English teams make bids it's automatically augmented by 30% at least. 60 mil pounds for Koulibaly is utter nonsense.

Blog Entries

@KoH - I don't get the Brahimi rumours at all. Mahrez seemed to be a Wenger project he wanted to convert to a striker, which, with his goal scoring last season, could have worked well. Brahimi's goal record is poor for a winger. That said Wenger just let Joel Campbell go on loan (Sporting) supposedly because Iwobi had such a good start. I don't know what Campbell did to piss Wenger off but it must have been something big.

Why Wenger won't get Lacazette is a mystery.

Brahimi looks like a decent option for Arsenal IMO. Everton wants him too.
    Nah he is crap. all flare and very litle football. Yes he might score briliant goals sometimes, but he simply is a player that never learned to play as a team. He holds too much the ball, never passes when and where he should, and ends up doing inconsequential plays 90% of the time.
    Corona and Otávio, have proved to be better then him imo. Corona needs to be a bit more regular and play better the spaces, but by far better then Brahimi, his numbers prove that alone. As Otávio, well he is seen as probably the next Deco of sorts. Great pass quality and speed. wich is more then i can say for brahimi.
    And yeah i also read everton wants him as well. To be honest he isnt good enough for a club like Arsenal.
    Everton? maybe, but i doubt he will be in the first 11.
    Trust me he isnt very good. He is good with the ball, and litle else. But maybe some talented coach can do something out of him.

@KoH - I don't get the Brahimi rumours at all. Mahrez seemed to be a Wenger project he wanted to convert to a striker, which, with his goal scoring last season, could have worked well. Brahimi's goal record is poor for a winger. That said Wenger just let Joel Campbell go on loan (Sporting) supposedly because Iwobi had such a good start. I don't know what Campbell did to piss Wenger off but it must have been something big.

Why Wenger won't get Lacazette is a mystery.
    Well brahimi can play other positions. Me personaly i never seen him as a winger but a 10. He plays best in the midle imo. A good coach might do something out of him. But its one of those that needs a lot of pantience. In Porto he doesnt play anymore, because right now we probably have more efficient players. Allthough i wouldnt mind him in the bench, wich is odd, as the new Manager Nuno, doesnt even put him in the bench.
    But as i said, he hasnt been very good in Porto. Not efficient enough. Lopetegui was and is a joke to be honest. I think the Spanish national team is doomed, they will go from bad to worse...but time will tell.

And yeah i heard of Joel Campbell. Jorge Jesus was after him for a long time. From what i hear here, wenger might wanted to get rid of him, because of his boehmian nature. You know nightlife and such.
    I dont know how will that improve with him moving to Lisbon ...
    But Jorge jesus is probably the right manager to manage this kind of stuff. He is an old fox, and well experienced. I have no doubt Joel Campbell will improve if he gets his head straight. jesus will get that out of him. well possibly.
    Specialy since, Slimani aparently seens to be out. Also joao mario is given as allmost certain in Inter for 45 milions. Other than that nothing is changed in Sporting.

Rafa ended up signing for Benfica... Porto realy needed that guy but oh well. I hear Oliver Torres might return to Porto this time for good, as well Diogo Jota on loan, both from Atletico Madrid.

As Arsenal goes, is like Thierry as been saying, i think Wenger need to come arround to what is the market today for the PL, and its prices, and the fact that probably the great players today dont see Arsenal as the first option anymore in England of club choice.
    That said, i dont think he needs to necessarly spend the budget and then some for good players, nor that the club isnt that atractive at all. It still is, and he can still build a good talented team. But no doubt for some key players he will probably need to invest a prety penny.

You wont get the Pogba, or Higuain or James etc those kind of players. But you still can get great players noneless,a nd work them when necessary. I tought lacazette would be under that umbrella. There is a lot more he can pick and chose from. The risk will always be there regardless.

And he needs to get advantage of certain windows of oportunity.
    For example, William Carvalho now is probably a much harder target, you wont get him for 20 milion euros anymore. As you could last season.
    Not saying he would be any good for Arsenal, im just trowing of a case into the table. As i said, there is always risk involved no matter what.

Civitate

As Arsenal goes, is like Thierry as been saying, i think Wenger need to come arround to what is the market today for the PL, and its prices, and the fact that probably the great players today dont see Arsenal as the first option anymore in England of club choice.
    That said, i dont think he needs to necessarly spend the budget and then some for good players, nor that the club isnt that atractive at all. It still is, and he can still build a good talented team. But no doubt for some key players he will probably need to invest a prety penny.
    A few seasons ago I would have agreed with you. But the purchase of Xhaka (£30m), Sanchez (£36m) and Özil (£40m) indicate that he is willing to spend a fair amount of money for quality signings.

What baffles me is that he seem absolutely unwilling to take the final steps towards building a winning team. Last year he was essentially a poor-mans Cazorla (would even Leon Britton suffice?) and a top striker away from winning the league and I would not have been surprised if even only one of them had been necessary.

Given the quality of the current team I think he is running into the same problem once more but perhaps even worse. He got a top quality team but is terribly short in central defenders and strikers. Given the overall quality of the squad I think he would not even have need to strengthen the squad with top level players in those two positions. Pretty much any proven veteran centre back or striker could have acted as a role player for the first 3-5 games and saved 5-15 points for the team.
    Last edited by Adar; August 22, 2016 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    A few seasons ago I would have agreed with you. But the purchase of Xhaka (£30m), Sanchez (£36m) and Özil (£40m) indicate that he is willing to spend a fair amount of money for quality signings.

What baffles me is that he seem absolutely unwilling to take the final steps towards building a winning team. Last year he was essentially a poor-mans Cazorla (would even Leon Britton suffice?) and a top striker away from winning the league and I would not have been surprised if even only one of them had been necessary.

Given the quality of the current team I think he is running into the same problem once more but perhaps even worse. He got a top quality team but is terribly short in central defenders and strikers. Given the overall quality of the squad I think he would not even have need to strengthen the squad with top level players in those two positions. Pretty much any proven veteran centre back or striker could have acted as a role player for the first 3-5 games and saved 5-15 points for the team.
    And if you badly need to buy new players on the last days of the transfer window, you don't have to complain about the inflated prices. It's good not to do the crazy stuff all other PL clubs do, and it's still possible to find talented players for relatively humane prices, but Wenger/Arsenal have lost the ability to attract/find them.

As ridiculous as the transfer market in England is, Wenger has lost the plot long ago. He's a dinosaur, and it feels like Arsenal has been going through the same stuff for many years now. It looks like this club is in a stasis. Arsenal is one of the biggest clubs in the world, yet they don't even seem to have the ambition anymore to go past the round of 16 in the CL.
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; August 23, 2016 at 03:10 AM.

Blog Entries

Selling clubs have Wenger over a barrel. £50m for Mustafi, £25m for Jonny Evans!!! Those quotes are insane. Wenger caused this problem himself by delaying and trying to negotiate clubs down. We could have had Mustafi for £25m a couple of weeks ago and Lacazette for £35m (now £60m) at the start of the transfer window.

That said, Rob Holding could be a star but he can't be expected to play 50 games this season and Chambers isn't there yet (might never be). With Gabriel and Kos both being injury prone I won't be surprised if Xhaka fills in at CB this season.

Latest bollocks - James Rodriguez £50m. Scores some great goals but not enough of every other kind.

Just a smal update. Porto just eliminated AS.Roma in Olympic by 0-3 And Now Portugal has 3 teams in champions league group stage once again. Not bad for Portuguese football. It was a sweet victory. We were the best team by far in this away match. Wich was a slap in the face of manny, manny people, both in Italy and in Portugal too. and not just because of the win, but mostly because of the Performance. I did enjoyed that.

Btw, worth noting, Roma had a budject of allmost 300 milion euros.. it spended 110 milion euros in transfers this window. It has a lot of interesting players, i wished i had one or two from Roma in Porto, but they arent a team just yet, imo.

Latest bollocks - James Rodriguez £50m. Scores some great goals but not enough of every other kind.
    its not as much about the goals he scores, but how he puts the team playing. In porto he was a briliant playmaker also in Colombia, (ocasionaly he played on the wing, but it is not his position). He is Pure class as playmaker. In real they tend to play him more on the wing tough. Im not sure its what Arsenal needs the most atm, you have Ozil for that.
    A proper striker that can play with sanchez, and an authoritarian CB.
    Porto also needs a CB.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; August 23, 2016 at 05:32 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast