Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The ACR add-on for Hellenika project - RELEASED!

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: The ACR add-on for Hellenika project

@M@x and Phal - You are really too kind, guys. Always being friendly and supportive, you're a credit to these forums. I will gladly try to do what I can to help people like you with their mod projects.

Quote Originally Posted by M@x1mus View Post
    [...] About the Akarnanes faction icon, we just couldn't find some symbol strong connecting to them, so a generic Greek mythological creature was picked.
    Fair enough. Good to know. I may stick to my first colour theme idea for them then.

Going through the Hellenika files related to the recolouring job, other questions (of technical nature) may arise for me. I'll post them here unless you say you prefer to have those come up elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by alekos84 View Post
    Good
    Last edited by Demokritos; October 14, 2016 at 02:44 PM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Demokritos, I made this thread a sticky one, so it will always stay on the front page. If you want it to be more free send me a message to un-stick it.
    Cheers

Glad this is still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Phalangitis View Post
    Demokritos, I made this thread a sticky one, so it will always stay on the front page. If you want it to be more free send me a message to un-stick it.
    Cheers
    I don't mind this move at all, Phal. On the contrary. Makes it easier for people who want to keep track of where this project is going. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    Glad this is still alive.
    Glad to see you taking an interest in this project, too.

I'd like some feedback regarding a couple of questions that have arisen for me when taking a closer look at the Hellenika files. Currently in Hellenika, some AOR units from given factions share the uniform colours with the regular units for the faction in question. I'd like this to be always the case - at least when it comes to hoplites. In this way, if Korinthos becomes able to recruit Amphipolitan hoplites, for example, the latter will not don Korinthian uniform colours, but their own theme - which would make the whole of the Korinthian army appear more varied and realistic, the more so the greater the number of different AOR units in it. Now, I've noticed that the AOR Lokroi Peltasts share uniform colours with the AOR Amphisaioi. My editing would have the former (as part of the Ozoles Lokroi) look different from the latter. But maybe this is wrong, historically. Should these two units continue to appear related through their uniform colours - or not?
    The same question applies (so far) to the following pair of units:
    AOR Akarnanes and AOR Amphilochioi;
    AOR Arcades and AOR Elimean Cavalry.

Something similar holds for the following case. Messenia is one of the factions in game. Its soldiers are recruitable for other factions as AOR Messinioi. Now, changes to the entry of this unit in the GaW_unit_variants_colours table seem to have no effect. Changes to the entry of the unit named AOR Naxioi, however, show up on the AOR Messinioi. But Naxos is also a faction in game, so it gets represented in the AOR Naxioi, too. So these two factions should share colours in this way (edit: I know got a theme that looks good for Messinioi, less so for Naxioi)? If not, how do we split them apart?

Edit: Figured out how to split AOR_Messinioi and AOR_Naxioi apart. They no longer need to share colours, if there's a good reason not to.

Sorry for diving into details like this, but I like to have a good reason for giving a unit its colours. If no-one offers his or her opinion about this, I'll reckon my own judgement will do.

Edit: Finished new theme for Satrapa Daskyleion.

They now share of one of the colours with Satrapa Sardis (the warm yellow tone), to mark the common ground for them. Here's how that comes out on the campaign map...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Compare with Satrapa Sardis (green colour not shown)...

Edit 2: Finished the mercs. They number only five type of units and I left one of them, the Agrianian Axemen, untouched. Below is a couple of examples of the changes.

Misthophoroi Iones Hippeis...
    And a small taste of Misthophoroi Krhtes Toxotai...

Edit 3: I have moved on to the AOR units in general. Not only those from the known factions in game, but all of them, i.e. including the "faction-less" ones. For example, the Abdiraneans (WIP)...

Edit 4 (as I prefer editing an old post over submitting a new one for minor news, unless someone else makes a contribution to the thread that becomes of later date): Work on the AOR units is coming alone fine. Have about a dozen left to do. Then I'll see what I can do for other types of units. I'll take a look on some of the elite units. But I suspect there's less room for change there as M@x has already done a really good job with the variety issue for them texture-wise. Cheap units should offer more leeway. I fully agree with TB on the stand that poor soldiers ought to afford less in the way of pigments to dye their garments and therefore should appear less colourful than the rest of the army. I'm already playing around with that idea on my own computer.

To show you what I mean, instead of the Argioi Prodromoi Hippeus looking like this, as they currently do in Hellenika, with full colours in the factional theme...
    ...you may have them appearing like this in the future....
    ...i.e. in a subdued or "pigment-poor" variety of the factional theme. Likewise for other relatively cheap units.

But this is stretching the project quite a bit. Don't know how far I can take it, based on available freetime. I'd better have something ready for release by the end of next week or everything will have to postponed for several months, due to RL obligations. Argos and Korinthos should be covered in the above way within the time given, but I cannot promise anything more. But I hope to cover all playable factions in this manner. That's as far I currently want to go with this project.

Edit 5: In a project like this, you come across some difficult choices of themes, of course. Like the one for the Tegeans, who're recuitable as AOR units. An historical illustration suggests that they should appear in some sort of pinkish red tunics...
    I found out about that when I had already made a different version that I was content with...
    As it happens, the latter colours make the former colours in different order. Although I find the Tegeans looking better in black and several other factions use some hue of red or other as primary colour, I guess I must offer what could be the more "historical" version in the final release of this mod. The other will be given as an optional for those who want and can edit the mod accordingly on their own, using the PFM with my instructions. The result is easily checked in custom battles.
    Last edited by Demokritos; November 01, 2016 at 04:52 PM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Well, modding things are shaping up. I should be able to release something coming weekend.

One problem remains, however, and that's why I'm submitting a new post, so that it gets more attention. For some reason, I'm unable to get new entries in the unit_variants_colours_tables for regular troops of the Persians (Satrapa Sardis) to have an effect. No matter if I leave the faction column blank or not (it should state "pel_persia" there so that Satrapa Daskyleion do not get their troops to show the same colours as Satrapa Sardis). This when new entries for the Greeks have no trouble getting implemented by the game engine. Other types of units which the Persians may use, like Lydian Cavalry (an AOR unit with pre-existing entry in said file) or Ionian Marines (a new entry which I have added there in order to give them a theme of their own), present no problem either. So why is it not possible to add regular Persian units (i.e. the Sparabara, Asabari etc) with new colours in the same way as other troops? Anyone with some modding know-how care to examine the db files of Hellenika for an explanation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I eager to see your work in action Demo!!

Thanks for calling in to say so. I hope I can deliver and make your own impressive work for all new gear and stuff look even better!

I'm just waiting for someone to help me with the Persians now. Everything else is set.

An hour ago I figured out how to give the Mercenary Greek Hoplites, which the Persians can recruit, their own style. Cover art on the box for Victrix plastic figures suggested they should have red tunics. So...
    I also gave the Alliance Hoplites a theme of their own. The theme is OK but I'm not sure them looking the same all over the place is a good idea. I'll keep it on for release. Anyone not liking it can just delete their entry in the unit_variants_colours table in order to get them showing up in the colours of whatever faction that recruits them instead.

Best news are perhaps that I've managed to cover the marines for the playable factions as well. A glimpse of the Korinthian fleet...
    As might be inferred from this image, the marine contingents are made to look more realistic, too, with more subdued colours for cheap units etc.
    Earlier, I went through all non-Persian units which the Persians can recruit. The result is that the Korinthian fleet might face the troublesome Kilikians at sea, now distinctly recognizable as...

Edit: Phalangitis has now kindly saved the day and provided me with the key to untie the Persian knot. The final modding race is on!

Update edit (a couple of days later): The package is ready for deliverance - except for one thing: Persian Immortals. For reasons yet unknown, this particular unit remains off modding limits. Both Phalangitis and I are working on a solution, and we'll see how that goes before making a decision as to the release of the package. If the solution evades us for more than a few days, I guess I'll publish the add-on without the Immortals. Otherwise, hopefully, you'll be hearing news about this issue sooner than that.
    Last edited by Demokritos; November 06, 2016 at 06:09 AM.

Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelduin View Post
    Nice work!
    Thank you, Nelduin!

And now you can see for yourself...

Ladies and gents, here it is, the promised ACR add-on for Hellenika (except for one peculiar unit, the Persian Immortals, which have eluded modding efforts so far; edit 15 November - problem solved!)! With this mod of a mod, the goal has simply been to make the graphical part of Hellenika even more interesting. For those who want to jump right to it and check out the result, download via the link...

X HERE X
    (see note about this below)

The downloaded file, 0ACRAH1, is an edited version of some DB tables in one of the files for Hellenika v1.2, 0Hellenika29. In order to get the ACRAH, i.e. the ACR Add-on for Hellenika, in operation, all you have to do is drop it into the data folder for Total War Rome II, and then, when you launch Rome2, bring up its mod manager, browse to the 0ACRAH1 mod (which, thanks to the zero in the beginning of its file name, should be the first listed and the first to be loaded, overriding any mod containing similar tables), and tick its box for activation. Once you’ve done that, and also made sure all Hellenika v1.2 files are activated, start the game in the same way you normally would to play Hellenika. When the first gaming session is over, whenever you want to play Hellenika with the add-on again, you need not bother with the mod manager, just launch the game!

For those unfamiliar with my work, here’s what you get with the ACRAH. The current version of Hellenika, v1.2, uses the Wrath of Sparta DLC part of my Alii Colores Romae: Varietas mod. You can see the result in most of the colours of the uniforms on both the army figures on the campaign map and the soldiers in battle mode. For some factions and units in Hellenika, however, different colours were used. ACRAH brings the uniform colours of all factions and units in Hellenika (unless I’ve missed something) to one artistic style: the ACR style. This with well over 100 changes in said area.

The intention of the ACR style is to make the uniforms appear more realistic and interesting. This includes an attempt to have, as a rule, cheaper units come out as if having been low on (expensive) pigments for dyeing their garments: the cheaper the unit, the less its soldiers could afford the price of dyeing pigments. Implementing this idea makes for more varied and interesting armies in the game. But it also multiplies the modding work needed. So for ACRAH version 1, this principle has only been applied on the playable factions. I just had time to cover the marines in this way as well.

If you’re interested in the details of the mod of the mod, which units are affected etc, check the content of the spoilers below.

Change log:
    Changed factional themes:
    Aitoloan (tuned down strongest colour a bit)
    Akaian (tuned down strongest colour a bit)
    Argos (tuned down that orange)
    Byzantion (made their red their primary)
    Makedon (edited red and black)
    Melos (now featuring a true historical colour: Melian white)
    Thessaly (edited blue and red)

0ACRAH1c: also Boiotian League (tuned tertiary orangy red down a bit).
    0ACRAH1d: Thessaly reworked again to tune down the blue. Theme now shared by AOR Thessalian (hoplites), instead of AOR Thessalian Cavalry.

Was unable to check all of the old factions covered by ACR in Hellenika. Otherwise, I’m sure the above list would have been longer.

Added factional themes:
    Akarnanes
    Amphipolis
    Chios
    Koinon Khalkidikon
    Mantineia
    Messenia
    Mytilene
    Opountioi Lokroi
    Ozoles Lokroi
    Satrapa Daskyleion

0ACRAH1d changes two of the colours for Opountioi Lokroi to something less resembling Argos and more realistic for cheaper units.

Changed units from the non-Persian side:
    AOR achaian slingers, AOR aetolians, AOR aitolian slingers, AOR amphilochioi, AOR amphisaioi, AOR arcades, AOR argioi, AOR chaones, AOR elimean cavalry, AOR illyrioi, AOR kerkyraioi epibates (marines), AOR lokroi, AOR lokroi peltasts, AOR makedonian cavalry, AOR messinioi, AOR olynthioi, AOR paiones, AOR paionian cavalry, AOR romfeoforoi, AOR samiotes, AOR samiotes epibates (marines), AOR thessalian (hoplites) AOR thessalian cavalry, kreittones hoplites, mercenary kretan archers, thrakian cavalry, sacred band and theispes hoplites.

0ACRAH1c tweaks the primary red for kreittones hoplites and sacred band.
    0ACRAH1d tries to make the AOR thessalian cavalry appear in more realistic shades. Also improving AOR amphilochioi and AOR paiones.

Changed units from the Persian side:
    AOR karian hoplites, AOR kilikian marines, AOR lydian cavalry, AOR lydian spearmen, AOR lykian archers, AOR lykian marines, AOR mylitian spearmen, AOR paphlagonian cavalry and AOR phrygian skirmishers.

Added units:
    AOR abdiraneans, AOR abrakiotes, AOR ephesioi, AOR fokaeis, AOR halicarnassos, AOR ialysioi, AOR ilioi, AOR knidians, AOR koes, AOR lyndioi, AOR megareis, AOR milesioi, AOR naxioi, AOR plataeis, AOR potidates, AOR sikyonoi, AOR tegeates, greek alliance hoplites, ionian marines, mercenary ionian cavalry, mercenary rodian slingers, mercenary thrakian peltasts and phoenician marines.

0ACRAH1c: added sakae horse archers and scythian horse archers.

Note: AOR tegeates can be had in a theme sporting black as their primary colour. Some may find that a cooler spectacle. See a couple of posts above this one in this thread for comparison. If you prefer them black, here’s what you need to do. Open the 0ACRAH1 mod with PFM, then open the db section there, scroll down to the unit_variants_colours_tables and open the alternative named Addon_GaW_unit_variant_colours. Find the entry for AOR_Tegeates here. Note the columns named primary_colour_b, primary_colour_g etc, nine in all. You must change the values for AOR_Tegeates there to read the following:
    (PCB) 45, (PCG) 51, (PCR) 53, (SCB) 185, (SCG) 191, (SCR) 193, (TCB) 91, (TCG) 91 and (TCR) 169.
    Mark a field which you have not touched yet and then save. Make sure the new version of ACRAH is placed in the TWR2 data folder and then activated the normal way (the old version either overwritten or de-activated). Enjoy the new Tegeates!

Added units exclusive to playable factions:

Argos:
    archers, archer marines, epilektoi epibatai (marines), javelinmen, javelin marines, light cavalry, marines (regular), marines garrison, militia hoplites and slingers.

Note also the AOR Argioi above, which brings some soldiers to wear black instead of orange from the factional theme.

Athenai:
    archers, archer marines, epibates zeugites (marines), epilektoi epibatai (marines), hippeis, javelinmen, javelin marines, light cavalry, marines garrison, scythian horse archers, thetes hoplites and slingers

Boiotia:
    archers, archer marines, elafreis hoplites, javelinmen, javelin marines, light cavalry, marines (regular), marines garrison, militia hoplites, orchomenoi hoplites, promachoi hoplites and slingers.

0ACRAH1c adds thebaioi hoplites and changes the orchomenoi hoplites, elafreis hoplites, militia and light cavalry.

Korinthos:
    archers, archer marines, elafreis hoplites, epilektoi epibates (marines), javelinmen, javelin marines, light cavalry, marines (regular), marines garrison, militia hoplites and slingers.

The 0ACRAH1b version also includes metoikoi hoplites (clad in more common white garments).
    0ACRAH1c adds ordinary korinthian hoplites from the reserves (tertiary white placed in secondary position, making for a primarily black and white theme). Metoikoi hoplites and militia with new themes.
    0ACRAH1d improves the theme for the (land-based) archers.

Sparta:
    brasidioi hoplites, brasidioi-neodamedois hoplites, helot hoplites, marines garrison, light cavalry, neodamedois hoplites, perioikoi hoplites, skiritai anichneutai, somakofylakes strategou, spartai epibates (marines), spartiatai epibatai toxotai (marines), spartiatai epilektoi epibatai (marines) and spartiatai hippeis hoplites.

Persia:
    asabari, arstibara, arstibara asabari, lykian archer marines, median spearmen, takabara, scythed chariots and thanvabara. Also local archers, local spearmen and “ordinary” persian archers plus mercenary greek hoplites.

Unfortunately, the Immortals are still untouchable, modding-wise, it would seem (edit: see below).
    0ACRAH1c finally fixes the Immortal issue! It also edits the thanvabara a bit, and adds kilikian javelinmen.

I hope you find the changes suitable for Hellenika.

Thanks the Hellenika team for a wonderful mod, one of the best that I've tried for the TW series. And thanks especially Phalangitis, for all help in making this submod possible.

Cheers, everyone.

Edit 8 November 2016: Uploaded a new version of the mod (0ACRAH1a) with some adjustments for the Persian side.

Edit 9 November 2016: Uploaded a 0ACRAHb version containing a few changes for the Korinthian camp, mainly navy.

Edit 15 November 2016: Uploaded an update, 0ACRAH1c, that primarily makes the Boiotians appear more like a League. Several other changes in place, including, finally, the Immortals (see example in post #38 below).

Edit 21 November 2016: Actually found some time not only to discover a couple of more things to rework but also do something about them. Result is 0ACRAH1d with improved Opountioi Lokroi, Thessaly, Thessalian Cavalry, Korinthian Archers, AOR Amphilochioi and AOR Paiones.

Edit 6 August 2020: Download option removed pending important TWC decision about mods and permissions. The decision might take away my right to decide how my work is used publicly by others, which, as a matter of principle, I cannot accept.
    Last edited by Demokritos; August 06, 2020 at 05:09 PM.

Default Re: The ACR add-on for Hellenika project - RELEASED!

Congrats on the release Demo
    I didn't have time to play with it finished but will do ASAP.. I am sure I will looove it.
    I will include all links to official page also. Cheers and thanks for your effort and creativity. Your selections empower the what I call "time travel experience"

Congrats on the release Demo
    I didn't have time to play with it finished but will do ASAP.. I am sure I will looove it.
    I will include all links to official page also. Cheers and thanks for your effort and creativity. Your selections empower the what I call "time travel experience"
    You deserve rep for the assistance you've given to this project, Phal, and I was about to hand it to you here, but evidently I must spread some reputation around first.

Yes, I know what you mean with the "time travel experience". Too saturated or odd a colour on the uniform for given unit is what breaks it for me. Enter the subdued-colours-for-poor-soldiers idea, for one thing. With this principle implemented, some of the cheap units have actually become my favourites. Take the Argolid Archer Marines, for example. Here's a somewhat better view of them, in action against the Melian fleet...
    Look pretty convincing in all their simplicity, I think. Which helps transporting me back to the day.

For similar reasons, I found motivation to re-work a few units for the Persians last night and uploaded the result as 0ACRAH1a. For example, the Mylitian Spearmen now come out like this...
    And the Persian Takabara...
    If someone was quick to grab 0ACRAH1 and hasn't yet upgraded to 0ACRAH1a, I suggest you do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    You deserve rep for the assistance you've given to this project, Phal, and I was about to hand it to you here, but evidently I must spread some reputation around first.
    Hehe me too

Demo I took the liberty to edit your first page in order to have there as well the download link rather than having it in 29th post. You see I set up Hellenika's steam page to direct the player to all official sub-mods via links(like ACR for Hellenika). So it is easier for the user that clicks the ACR link to be directed in first page with the download link than to have the link on post 29.
    Sorry for doing this without asking you first I only ment well BUT if you dont like it I can put things back as they were, as you had them in the first place.
    You decide.

EDIT. Added links for this mod to Hellenika steam page and Hellenika download in TWC in the Official submods section.
    Great work as always.
    Last edited by Phalangitis; November 08, 2016 at 08:41 AM.

[...]Demo I took the liberty to edit your first page in order to have there as well the download link rather than having it in 29th post. You see I set up Hellenika's steam page to direct the player to all official sub-mods via links(like ACR for Hellenika). So it is easier for the user that clicks the ACR link to be directed in first page with the download link than to have the link on post 29.[...]
    That's all very good, Phal. Thank you.

Enjoy the show whenever you have the time.

Only one thing left to tackle in the foreseeable future for me: the Immortal riddle.

Congrats my friend!!
    You really diserve a lot of rep!
    Also i want you to know that we feel honoured that you liked this mod so much!

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Very nice, first Sparta campaign soon

Quote Originally Posted by M@x1mus View Post
    Congrats my friend!!
    You really diserve a lot of rep!
    Also i want you to know that we feel honoured that you liked this mod so much!
    Well, I've tried many, but Hellenika definitely sets a high standard in so many areas, delivering a complete package without faultering seriously anywhere, as far as I can see. That is unusual. And impressive.

Thanks for your call, M@x. I just hope that my contribution has helped you and other people enjoy your own work even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post
    Very nice, first Sparta campaign soon
    You've seen the new variety in the Spartan army (although almost all of them still wear nothing but red) already? Some of the cheaper units have turned more interesting, I think. Like the Skiritai, for example. Enjoy that campaign, Linke. And thanks for your part in the creation of this special mod Hellenika.

Note: I've uploaded an update for Korinthos.

Demokritos

Thank you ...

Sorry for the delay in response. I wanted to finish an update before returning to this thread. Got good news, which I will reveal shortly...

Quote Originally Posted by alekos84 View Post
    Demokritos

Thank you ...
    Haha, you're welcome, alekos74. Glad you liked my alternative to vanilla. Thanks for letting me know what you think of it.

I hope you'll like the update, too. To pick a couple of examples of the news, I found three more units to recolour: Kilikian Javelinmen, Sakae Horse Archers and...
    ...Scythian Horse Archers. The aforementioned Kilikians look pretty good, too, sharing two colours with their marine counterpart. The Sakae will have to discovered in game on your own. I've pretended that they're contingents from the wild Khorasmii. Don't know where and when you can recruit any of these three units, though.

The main change introduced with the update is probably for the Boiotian side. Boiotoi hoplites, Orchomenoi hoplites and Thibaioi hoplites now look quite different, as if coming from three different city-states in the League.

But the best news may be Immortal...
    Finally got them to work! Not sure what the problem was. Doesn't matter now. Their individual theme is based on one of the historical illustrations that I've collected for this unit. Tried two others before settling for the above. The Persian lines offer quite a different spectacle compared to vanilla now.

PS. I've cleaned up the OP.
    PS2. I think I'm done for now. If I find something else in need of rework it will probably have to wait until later. Won't have time to check in on TWC that much in the coming months. Cheers.
    PS3. Managed to squeeze in another update. See above or OP for the details. The Paiones axemen can serve as an example of the changes...
    Last edited by Demokritos; November 21, 2016 at 04:58 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12