Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diplomacy almost completely fixed (war, expansion, and all), and actually reasonable!

Icon3 Diplomacy almost completely fixed (war, expansion, and all), and actually reasonable!

Based on taw's research, I've made a mod that fixes (most) of the problems with diplomacy in the game! The key to it is making attitude penalties go away much faster, as well as smaller to begin with. What makes this mod unique (and different from similar mods) is using radically different values per turn, and as base. The rule of thumb is that (eventually), time heals all. The longer the war lasts, the easier is it to make peace. Generally, if nothing else happens, the 'war' diplomatic penalty will go away after around 7 years or so without fighting.The vanilla game had war start out at -140, and get worse by 1 each turn. As well as the ridiculous territorial expansion penalty being completely fixed, still present but perfectly reasonable and exactly what you'd expect it should be. As a general rule, countries far away from your conquests hardly care, counties very close by get concerned, and the nation you took it from hates your guts.

With the mod installed (on hard) I've had multiple AI nations actually make peace with each other. After another country got dragged into a war, but we were unable to actually fight each other, after a few years, and a few turns of steadily decreasing the terms, we made peace on an almost even basis. For territorial expansion, after playing as Britain, Spain still hates me for taking their entire colonial empire (attitude penalty of well over a hundred) 20 years later. On the other hand, Sweden, who lost their conquests of the Netherlands, Hanover and (possibly) Rhineland, but soon after the war ended entered into a trade agreement, after 15-20 years of trade coupled with highly respected government figures, is actually borderline friendly. Meanwhile I have a complicated relationship with one ally who keeps getting war declared on them by another ally. It all started when my two allies allied with each other, then one refused to honor it, after which they dislike each other.

In other words, diplomacy works as it should, and is almost completely fixed.
    It's what it should have been to begin with, or failing that what should have been patched.

What it does in an existing campaign - existing diplomatic penalties are unaffected, but a new penalties (or bonusus) in the campaign are, as is everything in a new campaign.

The download

Mod installation: Installs like most other smaller mods, place the .pack file in the usual folder and add it to the "user empire script" (or words to that effect) file.

Other mods:

A mod fixing the port/town wealth bug, where towns in regions with ports never increase in wealth. Now towns in regions with ports increase in wealth correctly. (just get it, can't believe it was never patched): Link

A mod increasing port GDP to composite for its inherent decrease in the mod above: Link

The Orange Crush mod, not by me, but highly recommended, as it slows down the Martha expansion to give time for Europeans to arrive: Link
    Last edited by BraselC5048; September 19, 2016 at 11:01 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Diplomacy almost completely fixed (war, expansion, and all), and actually reasonable!

+ rep for sharing this and your other mods

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Diplomacy almost completely fixed (war, expansion, and all), and actually reasonable!

Hi, I found possible bug. When trade agreement is broken , you get with that faction bonus to diplomacy, which is lowering down each turn down to 0 value. Shouldn´t it be negative bonus/ penalty instead? (Like initially -30 instead of +30? )

Anyway great mod
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Hi, I found possible bug. When trade agreement is broken , you get with that faction bonus to diplomacy, which is lowering down each turn down to 0 value. Shouldn´t it be negative bonus/ penalty instead? (Like initially -30 instead of +30? )

Anyway great mod
    That's always been a crutch for the AI. It occurs if the AI breaks the treaty to allow you to more easily regain a trade treaty with them. I have a feeling the 'break the treaty' decision in the AI matrix tended to quirk occasionally, and CA threw that in to fudge for it.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Ok, my bad.....I returned to empire after some time and it seemed strange (i feel little dumb..especially when i have like 1100 hours playtime in empire)
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

And this mod proved useful yet again. After just 3-5 years of war with Austria, playing as France, and 4 turns of not sharing a common border as a result of Purssia taking Bavaria, I proposed a peace treaty with no other conditions, and Austria accepted! Since we didn't really have any way to hurt each other, the fixed diplomacy certainly works well.

jackwei's Avatar Primicerius

The AI more aggressive I've seen Maratha with an invading army trying landing in the Americas while the War between Prussia vs Austria and Poland is going back and forth also Hanover is putting some stiff resistance against Sweden too. Oh yes Spain is started to expand into North Africa but got blocked by Austria who has captured Tunis now Spain has declared on Austria who thrawted their ambitions very good campaign indeed as GB very tough.

bk2-modder's Avatar Libertus

This is quite literally one of the greatest mods I have ever installed for Empire Total War. The AI is much more vibrant and acts much more like I would if I were them, attacking the weak, ganging up in coalitions against powers that they see as growing too quickly, accepting peace with reasonable terms, invading and colonizing, jut fantastic. I saw Poland ally with Sweden and Austria to destroy a now united Prussian Germany, and the spread of the Danish into the Americas, as well as Britain actually conquering Scotland in Nova Mundi. Thank you for this fantastic mod, and keep it up!

Laetus

Would this mod work with Bran's Campaign AI Mod?

Quote Originally Posted by bk2-modder View Post
    This is quite literally one of the greatest mods I have ever installed for Empire Total War. The AI is much more vibrant and acts much more like I would if I were them, attacking the weak, ganging up in coalitions against powers that they see as growing too quickly, accepting peace with reasonable terms, invading and colonizing, jut fantastic. I saw Poland ally with Sweden and Austria to destroy a now united Prussian Germany, and the spread of the Danish into the Americas, as well as Britain actually conquering Scotland in Nova Mundi. Thank you for this fantastic mod, and keep it up!
    Thanks! Proved useful for myself as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyFire View Post
    Would this mod work with Bran's Campaign AI Mod?
    If it modified the "diplomatic attitudes table," (I 'think' that was the name), then no. If it didn't, than, maybe? The game would run, and either it will work great together, or they both solved the same problem, and combining the two will over correct. I can check compatibility later.

Also, has anyone had a problem with "dishonoring treaties" happening way to frequently, even when you don't feel you've done anything wrong? I've also noticed that if a peace treaty gives a net positive bonus, it doesn't go away. I'm guessing that's the cause of the problem. (Although as Britain, I was declaring way on the same power ad made peace several times.) I can post a 2.0 beta in the next few days, but I'm not sure if it will cause problems or not. I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Captain Orange's Avatar Libertus

Not working for me, so far.

Prussia, Poland and Austria are still locked in a triple threat match, Britain DOW'ed me early, so is Austria.

Maybe because it's not on the top of the mod list in the user script (I put Orange Crush on the very first line)? Or is it in conflict with other mods I used like the town wealth/port GDP mods (which isn't working, too, apparently)?

However, Empire Total Flags worked, even if it's at the bottom list.
    Last edited by Captain Orange; January 15, 2017 at 06:43 PM.

I never put it at the top of the list, and since I'm guessing those other mods are the ones i made, which I have installed, and that I have Orange Crush installed as well, I'm not quite sure what the problem is. Than again, suddenly on my own computer mods started working strangely, partly or not at all about a weak ago, so it might be the same cause.

In my games, Prussia, Poland and Austria never made peace either, so that's more of something I wasn't able to do, rather than it not working. I did have Spain eventually both make peace with and trade with Britain and the Dutch, so it can happen. Just not all the time, endless wars still happen, but sometimes they do end. Also, I don't know what DOW'd means, so would you mind explaining?

EDIT: It's been my experience that, even using the Empire save editor to modify the save the make peace between countries, if they have recently been fighting, they will immediately declare was on each other again. As such, Poland/Austria/Prussia are unlikely ever to make peace. On the the hand, editing in an Ottoman/Russia peace, where there hand't been any conflict in decades, proved to be a lasting peace.
    Last edited by BraselC5048; January 18, 2017 at 11:23 AM.

^ DOW means declaration of war.

I'm now playing as Sweden.

I'm still in the 1710s, but I'm already at war with Britain and France (out of nowhere, IMO). Austria declared war on me earlier but I immediately made peace through cash and tech.

Another update.

Just a few turns after I made peace with France, she declared war on me again. Shortly, Prussia joined the party.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Anyone managed to incorporate this mod to other big overhauls like DarthMod, Imperial Destroyer?.

Goutlard's Avatar Janissary

Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    Anyone managed to incorporate this mod to other big overhauls like DarthMod, Imperial Destroyer?.
    Very easy to do , with proper authorization I have incorporated it in Ottoman Total Overhaul Mod ; will be in the next version 2.5.7
    Wind from the East's Awards :

Well, actually - when writing the user script to load mods, remember that last loaded wins.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Will give this a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast