Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Clash of the Successors - the Diadochi IH

Default Re: Clash of the Successors - the Diadochi IH

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    Thinking of playing that one Bactrian character who can be a relative of Roxana's
    That would be excellent to make a pro Roxane's child faction.
    Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

If I cannot find a way I will make one.

Hannibal Barca

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

That's kind of the idea

Did Roxana's brother have a name?

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

You'll have some competition there, I think Xion is planning to do such a character as well. I don't think Roxane's bro's name was ever mentioned in the historical records (at least none that I know of), btw.

Also, the AOR units are now finally finished, as usual for an IH the game can begin in earnest as soon as we have at least five players who've registered their characters.
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; April 24, 2016 at 10:57 PM.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Barry, would you consider adding Scythians (or whatever other name you'd apply them) to the roster?
    It would cover tribes north of the Caucasus, the Black Sea of course, but also more importantly all those up in Central Asia, including the Dahae (which were a major component of the later Parthians), Massagetae, Wusun, etc.

This comes from a personal, selfish love of the Central Asian Iranian tribes, so if you think they're too fringe or irrelevant, then that's fine.

Hi, I'm interested in participating, because I'm really fond of the game's theme, but I literally have no idea how Interactive Histories are supposed to be played, except for what I read from Barry Goldwater's guide, since I didn't manage to find any specific rules. Could someone give me a brief explanation of what exactly constitutes a move or how are armies move and etc.? BTW, according to Encyclopedia Iranica, Oxyartes had three sons, but I wasn't able to verify that bit of information. However, one of his sons was certainly named Itanes, according to Arrian's account.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; April 25, 2016 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Hi, I'm interested in participating, because I'm really fond of the game's theme, but I literally have no idea how Interactive Histories are supposed to be played, except for what I read from Barry Goldwater's guide, since I didn't manage to find any specific rules. Could someone give me a brief explanation of what exactly constitutes a move or how are armies move and etc.? BTW, according to Encyclopedia Iranica, Oxyartes had three sons, but I wasn't able to verify that bit of information. However, one of his sons was certainly named Itanes, according to Arrian's account.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We'll probably have something along the lines of a movement thread. And welcome to the game mate.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

Hannibal Barca

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    Barry, would you consider adding Scythians (or whatever other name you'd apply them) to the roster?
    It would cover tribes north of the Caucasus, the Black Sea of course, but also more importantly all those up in Central Asia, including the Dahae (which were a major component of the later Parthians), Massagetae, Wusun, etc.

This comes from a personal, selfish love of the Central Asian Iranian tribes, so if you think they're too fringe or irrelevant, then that's fine.
    I'll probably throw in some recruitable Scythian mercenary companies once I get a merc thread up.

@Abdulmecid Yeah, as Pyrrhus said I'll post a movement thread once this gets rolling. You can post your movements there (armies generally move at a pace of 1 province/day, in the event that there's a hostile army there a cavalry/light infantry-heavy force will be able to move around faster than an heavy inf-based one and will be able to force a battle on terrain more favorable to themselves). Ace_General did ask me about the possibility of attempting secret movements that go unannounced in the movement thread, and I believe that can be done - shoot me a PM for your secret maneuver and I'll make a roll to determine whether it's possible or if your army botches it (in which case they obviously get detected, meaning I'll post your now-not-so-secret order in the movement thread & there's no chance of ambushing a hostile force in the targeted province) with increasingly severe penalties being applied to the roll depending on the size of your army (I'd imagine moving a force of 5k in secrecy would be easier than trying the same with an army of 100k).

Also: as I recall, armies in the Diadochi wars were pretty damn big. The Battle of Ipsus at the war's climax saw almost 200,000 soldiers (~80k men total on both sides and hundreds of war elephants on the allied side to Antigonus' 75) killing each other, after all. So, for your starting treasury, after the Partition of Babylon you can have double the total income of all your provinces combined. And as usual your first 'turn zero' units are recruited instantly.

@Ace_General Please don't just completely replicate an RL figure for your character. You can base your character on someone like Demosthenes or Leosthenes, but as I told Pyrrhus earlier they should have some traits to distinguish them from their real-life bases (and a different name obviously), heck even a character who's a composite of both would be more original than a straight adaptation of either. In any case, I was planning to make the historical Demosthenes into a recruitable special ancillary like Roxana.

Ok, thanks for the answers, guys. On a final note, I see that the number and the age of the children are up to the dice roll. What about their sexes, though? Are they also determined by the dice or by the player?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    I'll probably throw in some recruitable Scythian mercenary companies once I get a merc thread up.

@Abdulmecid Yeah, as Pyrrhus said I'll post a movement thread once this gets rolling. You can post your movements there (armies generally move at a pace of 1 province/day, in the event that there's a hostile army there a cavalry/light infantry-heavy force will be able to move around faster than an heavy inf-based one and will be able to force a battle on terrain more favorable to themselves). Ace_General did ask me about the possibility of attempting secret movements that go unannounced in the movement thread, and I believe that can be done - shoot me a PM for your secret maneuver and I'll make a roll to determine whether it's possible or if your army botches it (in which case they obviously get detected, meaning I'll post your now-not-so-secret order in the movement thread & there's no chance of ambushing a hostile force in the targeted province) with increasingly severe penalties being applied to the roll depending on the size of your army (I'd imagine moving a force of 5k in secrecy would be easier than trying the same with an army of 100k).

Also: as I recall, armies in the Diadochi wars were pretty damn big. The Battle of Ipsus at the war's climax saw almost 200,000 soldiers (~80k men total on both sides and hundreds of war elephants on the allied side to Antigonus' 75) killing each other, after all. So, for your starting treasury, after the Partition of Babylon you can have double the total income of all your provinces combined. And as usual your first 'turn zero' units are recruited instantly.

@Ace_General Please don't just completely replicate an RL figure for your character. You can base your character on someone like Demosthenes or Leosthenes, but as I told Pyrrhus earlier they should have some traits to distinguish them from their real-life bases (and a different name obviously), heck even a character who's a composite of both would be more original than a straight adaptation of either. In any case, I was planning to make the historical Demosthenes into a recruitable special ancillary like Roxana.

All excellent developments Barry. Are we going to be adding a naval element to the game as well? Would be important for the Greek Revolt and the rest of the Mediterranean.

And from what I can see we have six players signed up so far.
    Last edited by Pyrrhus the Molossian; April 25, 2016 at 11:12 AM.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Leonardo Da Vinci

Hannibal Barca

Ace_General's Avatar Praeses

Ok, I will change my character. Instead I will have a character more of the vein of Xenophon. Like a dude who is a son of an Athenian timber and horse merchant and Thessalian noblewomen. A dude who fought against Phillip and was forced into exile and went to Syracuse and served at one point as a mercy art, merchant, privateer, and advisor to the Syracusans.

upon the death of Alexander he returns to Greece to help lead the rebellion against Macedonian oppression

also something about being a compromise candidate ideologically among the Greeks that favors either limited democracy with property requirements or oligarchy that also includes commercial interests. In addition, my character would favor written laws and a constitution to reign in both the excesses of the mob as well of that of a tyrant
    Low speed, High Drag

@Ace Sounds good to me.

Rolls for the characters with kids registered as of this writing:

Calas (Pyrrhus): 1 son & 1 daughter, ages 14 and 10
    Herakles (Oda): 1 daughter, age 3
    Antiochus (Isabella): 3 sons & 1 daughter, ages 30-25-21-15
    Aristazanes (Abdulmecid): 1 son, age 7

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Thanks Barry.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Thank you Barry. When do children come of age? 16?
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Leonardo Da Vinci

Hannibal Barca

Ace_General's Avatar Praeses

Question what about having adult children if you have a chat who is 50+?
    Low speed, High Drag

Yeah, kids come of age at 16.

If you get adult kids as Isabella just did, treat them as you would a normal character: you'll need to assign them a trait & biography. If you're so inclined you can also have them married at the start of the game & ask for further grandkid rolls.

What about family members such as brothers or uncles etc?
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Leonardo Da Vinci

Hannibal Barca

Same thing as adult kids, I suppose. This should make it possible for you to set up a decently-sized family for the classical period & thus not get wiped out too early into the game in the event that your main char dies in battle/on someone's execution grounds/thanks to assassins or unlucky disease rolls.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

When is that partition going to start? can't wait lol

I have completed my biographies and all that stuff except for the daughter
    Last edited by Mary The Quene; April 25, 2016 at 02:56 PM.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

I'll let Perry finish his bio before launching the Partition of Babylon thread. Alexander's last act will be to give his ring to one of the Diadochi characters (to be determined by a roll), giving them a leg-up on assuming the regency after his death, and I'd like for all the Macedonian Diadochi characters to be complete by then so they all get a fair shot in the roll.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Barry can one of us have Aristotle as a rolled ancillary?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō