Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: RSIII problems and bugs

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Default Re: RSIII problems and bugs

Deleted
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; April 26, 2017 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Mistakenly posted- so deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold View Post
    Then personally, it'd make more sense to have the sword as the main weapon, wouldn't it? Afterall, thorakitai are suppose to be the greek's version of the roman soldier.
    No, the spear is an important part of their (and thureophoroi) equipment. For my "armor-wearers" or my "shield-users" the sword isn't very great.

If you want little-sword roman wannabes then use machiraphoroi as they are explicitly "sword-users". A lot of factions don't have them though. They also don't have armor piercing javelins.

Also some factions elite like the Pergamon/Seleucid/Ptolemic have those royal peltasts or those silver-shield armor-wearers
    Last edited by Alavaria; May 11, 2016 at 06:35 PM.

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    No, the spear is important part of their (and thureophoroi) equipment. For my "armor-wearers" or my "shield-users" the sword isn't very great.

If you want little swords then use machiraphoroi as they are explicitly "sword-users". A lot of factions don't have them though.

Also some factions elite like the Pergamon/Seleucid/Ptolemic have those elite peltasts or those silver-shield swordsmen.
    But the thorakitai are supposed to be offensive/versatile assault troops. Spears are good if you want to hold off the enemy line.

I thought the instructions said not to touch the vegetation quality.
    in first time i didnt touch that... i've tried to solve this

Domesticus

More of a question than a bug report: are the building prices seen on the Athens campaign restricted to it and others alike? I went back to the grand campaign and noticed the prices are cheaper.

That said, as far as economic changes go, has the grand campaign been only subject to that 25% income reduction and nothing else?

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by seleukos99 View Post
    I'm afraid that doesn't seem to stop them, either. I've just started playing 1-turn campaign with Massalia and right before then I was playing it with Arveni. With both factions I owned the city of Emporiae and Gallaeci right after taking the city of Numantia, head straight towards Gaul through Emporiae, ignoring completely lands to the south.
    I know, but at least they are forced to go all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Poliorcetes View Post
    in first time i didnt touch that... i've tried to solve this
    If...and it seems you were....you were asked anything about vegetation quality, you may have likely ruined your install. The file involved is an old one for the old RS2.6 vegetation, and you will get install battlefield crashes with it.

More of a question than a bug report: are the building prices seen on the Athens campaign restricted to it and others alike? I went back to the grand campaign and noticed the prices are cheaper.
    That said, as far as economic changes go, has the grand campaign been only subject to that 25% income reduction and nothing else?
    Not sure what you mean by 'grand campaign'...since there really isn't one in RSIII. Building prices, units prices, income, etc are often adjusted for each campaign. The problem with the Athens campaign is that I forgot to change the AOR conditional for a few lines in EDB.txt, which results in quite low income.

As for the thorakitai, our Macedonian and Greek historians agreed that they were spearmen who threw javelins. I know that is a weird combination for RTW, as I had never seen that before (there is even an archer unit in RSIII who becomes a spearmen), but that was what they said, so that's the way Tone portrayed them. They were an early adjustment, mainly by the Successor states, to have more flexible warriors against cavalry in their area of influence. The Machairaphoroi were the legionary 'knock-off' to try and deal with Roman legionaries, and they use a javelin and sword.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    If...and it seems you were....you were asked anything about vegetation quality, you may have likely ruined your install. The file involved is an old one for the old RS2.6 vegetation, and you will get install battlefield crashes with it.
    And how can i fix that? Set on default or reinstall again?

Is everything alright with mine RSIII preferences? Should i change anything? You can look at my PC config.

And finaly, is there any solution for lag on tree/mount territory?

Following your instructions for a ALX install... oddly the Athens campaign works fine (from launcher) but it seems when I tried say the Syracuse from launcher the game won't run at all... not sure why that is. Was having all the RTW/BI files generally necessary?

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Julius Poliorcites; My apologies but something went wrong whilst I was trying to reply to your post. My reply was; Don't touch the veg quality level as this causes a ctd and I also suggested that you might try Large Address Aware (google it for download) to help prevent lag, this worked fine for me.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; May 12, 2016 at 06:47 AM. Reason: spelling error

Domesticus

Not sure what you mean by 'grand campaign'...since there really isn't one in RSIII. Building prices, units prices, income, etc are often adjusted for each campaign. The problem with the Athens campaign is that I forgot to change the AOR conditional for a few lines in EDB.txt, which results in quite low income.
    I just meant regular one turn campaigns. If my memory serves me right, i've seen these prices before on campaigns like Massalia and now with Athens. For example, in the latter, roads cost 2000 denarii, Regional Focus costs 5000. Overall buildings are considerably more expensive than in, let's call, regular one turn campaigns and i was just wondering if that was some sort of plan to make campaigns harder.

I started a Pontus 1 turn campaign yday and honestly i did not notice any economic changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambellon View Post
    Julius Poliorcites; My apologies but something went wrong whilst I was trying to reply to your post. My reply was; Don't touch the veg quality level as this causes a ctd and I also suggested that you might try Large Address Aware (google it for download) to help prevent lag, this worked fine for me.
    Okay. So, do i need to reinstall game completly?

If we're talking about the thorakitiai, amusingly the "greek thorakitai" has their standard formation being looser than their loose formation.

Interesting choice, since the AI does put them straight in the frontline...

Nothing. Ill dl mod when he has been finished. My time's wasted on reinstalling game and patches. gl team, i hope that mod will be done in future

It would be awesome if somehow you can add auto replenishment of the army, just like the generals/family members have. Is that even possible?

Actually it would be not. I also thought it was a great feature made by CA, but after playing RS I've come to the idea that it actually removes all immersion. This is how my campaigns go on:

I usually send my two best stacks to invade a coast/land. Then I recruit troops in all cities and keep sending reinforcements by using ships. This is the one true, asolutely true way of supply lines. If enemy ships are stronger and kill my ships or rebellion armies kill my reinforcements, my supply lines are cut off and my armies are doomed. The ships mentioned are used to send back exhausted regiments as well to replenish in the cities where they came from, so I can keep their experience level.

I believe that this is a true part of warfare which adds great immersion that new Total War games completely lack. You can replenish Persians in Scotland...

As for the thorakitai, our Macedonian and Greek historians agreed that they were spearmen who threw javelins. I know that is a weird combination for RTW, as I had never seen that before (there is even an archer unit in RSIII who becomes a spearmen), but that was what they said, so that's the way Tone portrayed them...................
    Hang on a second.....

The standard Roman Auxiliary (whether mounted, or on foot - and quite deliberate in their standardisation) is armed with a Spear (Hasta) and, most probably, 'light' javelins (Lancea).

My own researched view is that a proportion (25%) of all Roman Legionaries were also so armed - the Lanciarii - assuming the original roles of both the Velites and spear-armed Triarii
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

I fixed my problem thanks to me

I found a typo error in one of the loading screen facts I guess you would call them, its not that much of a big deal compared to other things that have been pointed out in this thread, but the message about the "Romans used a sponge on a stick" whereas the loading screen says "Sponge on a tick"

Again, not that much of a problem.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Quintillius View Post
    Actually it would be not. I also thought it was a great feature made by CA, but after playing RS I've come to the idea that it actually removes all immersion.

I believe that this is a true part of warfare which adds great immersion that new Total War games completely lack. You can replenish Persians in Scotland...
    Totally agree with that. Auto replenishment is not only immersion breaking but also reduces the strategic factor of your campaigns, and thus we don't want that.

A very nice addition, though, would be to limit the number of elite troops that a player can recruit within a certain period of time. In order to make it work properly, however, the same limitation would have to be imposed on AI factions, as well- giving them perhaps a larger pool of units to recruit as they also tend to lose them more easily.

I wonder if that's actually doable in the RTW engine?
    Last edited by ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~; May 13, 2016 at 09:33 AM.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Poliorcetes View Post
    Nothing. Ill dl mod when he has been finished. My time's wasted on reinstalling game and patches. gl team, i hope that mod will be done in future
    I'm going to upload a small patch today that will fix a number of small issues, but I'm afraid your problems are beyond my ability to fix. So many people have installed and can play RSIII without problems, and I have installed and tested it so many times it's silly. RSIII has minor problems, but crashing as yours has been is not one of them. You've either installed it wrong, or made some change that broke it. I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintillius View Post
    Actually it would be not. I also thought it was a great feature made by CA, but after playing RS I've come to the idea that it actually removes all immersion. This is how my campaigns go on:
    I usually send my two best stacks to invade a coast/land. Then I recruit troops in all cities and keep sending reinforcements by using ships. This is the one true, asolutely true way of supply lines. If enemy ships are stronger and kill my ships or rebellion armies kill my reinforcements, my supply lines are cut off and my armies are doomed. The ships mentioned are used to send back exhausted regiments as well to replenish in the cities where they came from, so I can keep their experience level.
    I agree. Auto-replenishment is a 'gamey' feature that removes the necessity to worry about marching off into battle and finding yourself under-supplied and manned.

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    Hang on a second.....

The standard Roman Auxiliary (whether mounted, or on foot - and quite deliberate in their standardisation) is armed with a Spear (Hasta) and, most probably, 'light' javelins (Lancea).

My own researched view is that a proportion (25%) of all Roman Legionaries were also so armed - the Lanciarii - assuming the original roles of both the Velites and spear-armed Triarii
    Yes. I didn't mean that being armed that way wasn't historical or something....I meant that in RTW, you didn't see units armed that way very often. Usually, its spears alone, or javelins\pila with sword...but not with spears, or spears with swords. So when Tone proposed a unit with a javelin and a spear, or an archer with a spear...it just struck me as odd for RTW. But as you say...it was common in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by seleukos99 View Post
    Totally agree with that. Auto replenishment is not only immersion breaking but also reduces the strategic factor of your campaigns, and thus we don't want that.
    A very nice addition, though, would be to limit the number of elite troops that a player can recruit within a certain period of time. In order to make it work properly, however, the same limitation would have to be imposed on AI factions, as well- giving them perhaps a larger pool of units to recruit as they also tend to lose them more easily.
    I wonder if that's actually doable in the RTW engine?
    Well, you 'could' probably do something like that with gobs of scripting that pretty much took care of all recruitment for the AI....but it would be a nightmare to figure out.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father