Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17323334353637383940414243 LastLast

Thread: RSIII problems and bugs

Default Re: RSIII problems and bugs

At first I did, then I tried every application in "Rome Total War Alexander/RS3" and one launched vanilla RTW, the other launched vanilla Alexander.

I checked where the launcher desktop shortcut is pointing to and it's pointing to the file in "Rome Total War Alexander/RS3/launcher".

I checked the properties of the desktop shortcut and opened the file location, then launched the launcher from there. Same result.

Thanks for replying, I'm not sure what to do. Currently reinstalling Alexander and I'm going to move it out of the Steam folder and use RSII 2.5 instead of RSIII 1.1.

Please Delete; accidental double post.
    Last edited by sharkeyyyy; February 07, 2021 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Double Post

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by sharkeyyyy View Post
    ....I'm not sure what to do.
    Try this tutorial by my friend Drtad of Gudea TW channel, maybe it will help, if not there is another way where I can help you, let me know how you get on. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...Steam+version)
    NB.. remember RS III will only play via the ALX .exe on steam.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; February 07, 2021 at 01:23 PM.
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    Try this tutorial by my friend Drtad of Gudea TW channel, maybe it will help, if not there is another way where I can help you, let me know how you get on. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...Steam+version)
    NB.. remember RS III will only play via the ALX .exe on steam.

Thanks for the video but I've installed many, many mods before. Currently I've installed Alexander through Steam, ran it for one turn and saved the game. Then I copied it to "C:\RSII\Alexander Total War" and I'm making copies of it for the inevitable installs I'll have to go through until I get this working.

I first tried this install of RSIII:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/roma-surr...lone-installer

The launcher said it was v3.0, not 3.1, not sure if that's relevant but when I finished the install and ran it it simply launched vanilla RTW.

I'm currently trying RSII 2.5 from here:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/roma-surr...a-surrectum-25

Should I just keep going through different installers until I find one that works ?

Thanks for the help !

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

I'm not sure if you've installed RS3 into its own subfolder within the ALX file and that could be whats wrong.

So maybe being overly simple but from the steam>steamapps>common> Rome Total War Alexander you've copied the entire Rome Total War Alexander file ONLY?

Then create a separate and empty RS folder. In this folder I created three subfolders , RS3 (main game file installation), RS2.5 and BACKUPS (don't need the last 2 unless you want to change things). PASTE Rome Total War Alexander into the RS3 folder. So the path is C: > rs>rs3 and your ALX installation will be in RS3.

Then install RS3 into this folder and it will install over ALX. Extract the RS3.1 patch into this folder too and overwrite. The desktop shortcut won't work for me this way unless I change things but I generally delete it anyway. To launch I go to RS>RS3>launcher>Roma Surrectum II

EDIT: and yes the launcher will continue to say it's v3.0 even when patched
    Last edited by Agrippa19; February 07, 2021 at 02:25 PM.

I copied the contents of the file found here: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Alexander"

I took that entire file and pasted it here: "C:\Roma Surrectum\Roma Surrectum III"

When installing RSIII from here: https://www.moddb.com/mods/roma-surr...lone-installer

I pointed the installer to: "C:\Roma Surrectum\Roma Surrectum III"

So the folder that I pointed the intaller to also contains all of Alexander Total War, but I didn't point the installer inside the Alexander Total War folder.

Perhaps I made the mistake of pointing the installer one level down, I'm trying it the way you've said now.

Is the link for RSIII I've shown correct ? The link says it is stand alone; should I install RSII 2.5, patch 2.6, patch 3.0, and patch 3.1 instead of the RSIII 3.1 standalone ?

Many thanks for your help, it's appreciated !
    Last edited by sharkeyyyy; February 07, 2021 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Formatting

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

What you're doing sounds right.

Personally I downloaded RS2.5 and then the downloaded and installed the RS3 upgrade patch (don't bother with 2.6) from RSIII Setup v2 file - Roma Surrectum II mod for Rome: Total War - Mod DB. Then the RS3.1 from MOD DB as well. I don't see why the full standalone patch wouldn't work though. I don't know sorry, I would think it's something very small you're probably overlooking but it sounds mostly right. And you've selected the right engine on the launcher and everything (just plucking at straws because it seems like the hard stuff you've done it might be something basic?)

No worries though I hope you get it working

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa19 View Post
    What you're doing sounds right.

Personally I downloaded RS2.5 and then the downloaded and installed the RS3 upgrade patch (don't bother with 2.6) from RSIII Setup v2 file - Roma Surrectum II mod for Rome: Total War - Mod DB. Then the RS3.1 from MOD DB as well. I don't see why the full standalone patch wouldn't work though. I don't know sorry, I would think it's something very small you're probably overlooking but it sounds mostly right. And you've selected the right engine on the launcher and everything (just plucking at straws because it seems like the hard stuff you've done it might be something basic?)

No worries though I hope you get it working

Thanks. I tried the RSIII standalone and got a different error this time. It reads: "You don't have Roma Surrectum II installed in the correct folder. (C:\Roma Surrectum\Roma Surrectum III)"

I hit OK and then get this:

"Engine: RomeTW-ALX.exe, Faction campaign: -mod:play_rome"

clicking OK gives :

"In total: 'RomeTW-ALX.exe -mod:play_rome -show_err'"

I'm going to delete it all and copy a fresh install of Alexander Total War back over again to "C:\Roma Surrectum\Roma Surrectum III", and try to work my way up to RSIII from RS 2.5.

Thanks for the video but I've installed many, many mods before. Currently I've installed Alexander through Steam, ran it for one turn and saved the game. Then I copied it to "C:\RSII\Alexander Total War" and I'm making copies of it for the inevitable installs I'll have to go through until I get this working.
    I first tried this install of RSIII:
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/roma-surr...lone-installer
    The launcher said it was v3.0, not 3.1, not sure if that's relevant but when I finished the install and ran it it simply launched vanilla RTW.
    I'm currently trying RSII 2.5 from here:
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/roma-surr...a-surrectum-25
    Should I just keep going through different installers until I find one that works ?
    Thanks for the help !
    Sorry, I can't help you with the install for steam as I don't use it, that's why I posted my friends tutorial link.

I followed these instructions and it works perfectly !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNOhyGx2NhQ

Some questions:

I) I was wondering if it's safe to use the anti-aliasing options ? The resolution on the campaign map and the battle map seem off; the building pictures in the settlement view look very low res.

I changed all launcher resolutions to 1920x1080 to match my monitor resolution.

II) Upon launching a 0 Turn H_H Roman campaign fog of war was turned off, I used the console command "toggle_fow" to turn it back on.

III) I tried editing

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Gold\Play_Rome_One_Turn\data\desc_sm_factions"

file to get rid of the borders on the campaign mini map, but that didn't work; do I have to do it before I start a campaign ?

Thanks for the help !

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Good to hear.

1) I remember complaints of a DirectX error appearing sometimes if anti aliasing was selected, so is just a case of switching it off if that happens to you. I use and haven't had a problem yet.

2) Same

3) Did you get RS working in the Rome TW Gold folder? Anyway if you're playing 0 turn like in point 2, then changing descr_sm_factions in the Rome_One_turn won't change the mini map borders for the 0 turn campaign. You need to go to Play_Rome>data>descr_sm_factions. All 0-turn campaigns require the 'descr_sm_factions' to be changed seperately for their mini map borders to disappear. 1 turns need to be changed in 'Play_Rome_One_Turn' and 'Play_One_Turn'

Good to hear.

1) I remember complaints of a DirectX error appearing sometimes if anti aliasing was selected, so is just a case of switching it off if that happens to you. I use and haven't had a problem yet.

2) Same

3) Did you get RS working in the Rome TW Gold folder? Anyway if you're playing 0 turn like in point 2, then changing descr_sm_factions in the Rome_One_turn won't change the mini map borders for the 0 turn campaign. You need to go to Play_Rome>data>descr_sm_factions. All 0-turn campaigns require the 'descr_sm_factions' to be changed seperately for their mini map borders to disappear. 1 turns need to be changed in 'Play_Rome_One_Turn' and 'Play_One_Turn'
    Oh okay I'll give AA a shot, I'm using this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLi_-DH46XE

to fix mouse acceleration so maybe that has affected the way things look as I changed the resolution slightly.

I used this video to install RSIII, it's so damn simple and I can't believe it isn't sticked at the top of the RSII forum page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNOhyGx2NhQ

Yeah you're right I was in the wrong folder, checking it now. I was up late last night trying to get the mod working so I wasn't thinking straight haha.

Thanks !

Edit:

Oh do you know if this legion ancillary submod is combatible with 3.1 or has been incorporated ? I seem to remember something like it from playing RSII before but it doesn't seem to say on the post if it's compatible or has been incorporated:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...on-ancillaries

Thanks !
    Last edited by sharkeyyyy; February 08, 2021 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Additional Question

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Great, yeah there's a lot of modfoldered campaigns so its easy to get mixed up.

That mod is incorporated but a bit different. All ancillaries are now given in Rome only so the strategy is to put a general with no ancillary in Rome until they get one, and then transfer the ancillary to the general you want. Or stack a general with the ancillaries until you find the right candidate.

Edit: the ancillaries start to appear once you've hit the Marian reforms and the numbered legions appear.
    Last edited by Agrippa19; February 08, 2021 at 11:15 AM. Reason: edit

Oh thanks, couldn't figure that out from the files.

Now I notice upon looking at unit details on the campaign map there are not unit pictures above the description. Just a white box.

Ever heard of anything like that ?

Cheers for being so patient !

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

It's a memory leak bug, and I think it exists because the mod is so big and it can't be fixed as far as I'm aware, we all just have to work around it.

It happens when you click on a unit/ or building to expand info from the recruitment/ construction tab. If you click on any unit that has not yet been recruited or building that has not yet been built, then the picture will tend to appear white. To work around it you have to close that tab, click on the info tab on a unit already recruited or building already built in your building browser, then with that picture open click on the unit/ building in the recruitment/building tab and the picture will appear fine then. It's a matter of getting into a habit with that as it's well known bug and can't be fixed as far as I'm aware.

Awesome, yeah it comes and goes.

Compared to M2TW the mouse movement seems odd, I thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLi_-DH46XE

might have fixed it but no.

It feels as though my mouse is more sensitive, for example checking the percentage of allied v enemy units lost during a battle, to hover the cursor over that bar I'm over and under shooting it constantly.

Do you know if this is a vanilla RTW thing or a Roma Surrectum thing ?

Any fixes ?

Cheers !

Do you know if this is a vanilla RTW thing or a Roma Surrectum thing ?
    No it's not laddie, I'm afraid that's down to your accuracy

Any fixes ?
    1) Have you checked to see if the DPI settings are too high in your mouse?
    2) Go to Start/control panel/devices & printers/mouse settings, there are adjustments you can experiment with there.

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

My laptop is a pretty good modern mid tier laptop and I find there's been lots of issues getting RTW to work on Windows10 and everything else modern. Sensitive mouse and as well as M2TW the map scrolling is very sensitive too. It's not game breaking at all it juts feels like my laptop is too advanced for these old games

Saul saved my bacon a while back by sharing a link that showed me how to stop severe lag on the map and to this day I can't play RTW and its mods without downloading it. The only downside is that fire animations (burning buildings/ fire arrows/ fire bolts from ballistas) don't work. I can play better on my laptop now but have to put up with the fact that RTW just isn't designed to work on modern laptops so there's some compromises. The only work around really is buying an old laptop with 2007 software to be free from what's incompatible between 2004 games and 2021 computers. It's sad because the game is strategically the soundest I know but unfortunately its not supported anymore being 17 years old.

My laptop is a pretty good modern mid tier laptop and I find there's been lots of issues getting RTW to work on Windows10 and everything else modern. Sensitive mouse and as well as M2TW the map scrolling is very sensitive too. It's not game breaking at all it juts feels like my laptop is too advanced for these old games
    Have you considered installing a virtual XP or Windows 7? also RTW resolution max is 1280x768 anything higher was not around when it was released, so therefore does not benefit the game. I don't know if this information will be of any help to you but may be worth trying. I've also sent a pm to you with an alternative suggestion, whether you wish to use it is up to you.