Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I like Dwarves and bears.. Dwarf bear cavalry? where is it?

Default I like Dwarves and bears.. Dwarf bear cavalry? where is it?

These guys. I have always loved the idea of dwarven bear cavalry. I mean I always play the Dwarves and am used to them having no cavalry like in LOTR lore. Even in dungeons and dragons they did not really have an official cavalry. But this is Warhammer! Why not have bear cavalry?

Do they just forget them or is there something behind the lore? I looked into it briefly and not sure if '8th edition' has anything to do with the timeline or lore or is that just rulesets?

Anyways. Just thought i'd throw it out there. Perhaps with mods it'd be possible.

Default Re: I like Dwarves and bears.. Dwarf bear cavalry? where is it?

That's def one cool unit.

Be prepared for this possibility then: $7.99 Bear Cav DLC

Your only hope for that (awesome as they are) is mods.

Warhammer dwarfs never really did cavalry and only used workhorses to pull the artillery (when a steam wagon or the like wasn't).

There is old lore bits of ancient Dwarf lords riding such mounts as that or even Saurians (Lizardmen mounts) but that never saw the tabletop.

Kislev bear riders are a thing I believe.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Admittedly, when I clicked this thread, I expected something stupid.

I was right.

This is stupid.

Stupidly awesome.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Hyrule View Post

Warhammer dwarfs never really did cavalry and only used workhorses to pull the artillery (when a steam wagon or the like wasn't).

There is old lore bits of ancient Dwarf lords riding such mounts as that or even Saurians (Lizardmen mounts) but that never saw the tabletop.

True

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

BalrogOfMorgoth's Avatar Decanus

In the rant about minor factions, CA said Kislev will not have his winged bear cavalry, which is a shame

But maybe Kislev will be the 16th major faction they want to bring ( even if my vote is on Chaos Dwarfs )

Anyway, once we will have the Ogre Kingdoms, the Mournfang cavalry could be modded to bring us bear cavalry for Kislev, who knows?

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

I don't think dwarfs should have cavalery.
    This would change the strategy and be not conform to TT.

Yes, Kislev is a very good DLC faction. At Moment they use empire units as far I know.
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

Because warhammer dwarfs haven't had bear cavalry in a long time, unless I'm very much mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Hyrule View Post

Then why are there warhammer figurines of entire units of bear cavalry miniatures? Am I missing something?

Are these like custom made or something?

Ahh, reading this: http://olde-skool-warhammer.blogspot...azad-zaul.html it looks like the article writer said that they were taken out of the GW rulebook very early in the game?.. I wonder why... most likely balancing but I would rather have these guys and some Anti Air guns then those stupid gyro choppers... Just my Opinion. They could be balanced... exhaust easy (as bears do) ... short charges.. can maybe panic and run back into your own lines.. like that. I would love it! Also even some dragoons on the back of bears? like why not its warhammer.

Also for benefits you could have them dismount and fight along side the Dwarves.. Maybe to compensate for the quick exhaustion and chance to panic.

"Because warhammer dwarfs haven't had bear cavalry in a long time, unless I'm very much mistaken."

Makes sense.. old technology? They'd rather just fly a gyrochopper instead of figure out how to tame a damn bear?
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; April 22, 2016 at 10:56 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts.

I do remember that Kislev's previous Tzar rode a bear....?
    Forward, march!

Quote Originally Posted by C.Maximus View Post
    "Because warhammer dwarfs haven't had bear cavalry in a long time, unless I'm very much mistaken."

Makes sense.. old technology? They'd rather just fly a gyrochopper instead of figure out how to tame a damn bear?
    I mean in the game and the lore. As far as I know dwarven bear cavalry are not really considered a thing, I've never come across them in any of the lore I've read so, assuming they were indeed in the game at one point I guess they were retconned out? I mean, I could be wrong, but as far as I can tell.

Bobington's Avatar Ordinarius
    You illuminaterz wont find nuthin bout me!

The closest things Dwarfs have are mules pulling minecarts.... But hey, in TT they get a separate attack for the mule's bite, which even Imperial Horses do not get
    As God wills it.

Bongfu's Avatar Senator

It has been said, but no so coherently, in this thread.

Dwarves in the Warhammer Fantasy universe do not have cavalry. This has both lore and gameplay implications, but mostly gameplay as that is how GW tends to write in the lore. For gameplay reasons, Dwarves with cavalry would be POWERFUL. So the closest you might get is being able to hire some of the dogs of war cavalry.

Personally I witnessed this as I have played an allied game with a cavalry heavy Empire army at my side. Basically I was the anvil and he was the hammer. It wasn't even a contest.
    Lorehammer - Team Lead
    A Radious Total War: Warhammer Sub-mod

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Forget the lore, bear cavalry sounds fantastic!!! Slightly off topic, does anyone else find it extremely odd that the dwarfs have no spearmen in their roster? I would think a no-cav faction would have to rely on some form of spears to counter them... I also don't know anything about Warhammer lore, so if there's something in there saying they never used spears, forgive me.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Spears are for pussies. No, seriosiously, you will not see a non-Chaos Dwarf use any melee weapon beyond an axe or hammer variant. Even the Mordheim Dwarfs that used daggers had them as tools using only for last resort, and the Slayer Pirates only had Cutlasses because well..... Pirates. However their axe/hammer and shield infantry is pretty much as good at taking cavalry charges as any spear units. Ironbreakers are considered the very best defensive unit in all WHFB.
    As God wills it.

Bongfu's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    Forget the lore, bear cavalry sounds fantastic!!! Slightly off topic, does anyone else find it extremely odd that the dwarfs have no spearmen in their roster? I would think a no-cav faction would have to rely on some form of spears to counter them... I also don't know anything about Warhammer lore, so if there's something in there saying they never used spears, forgive me.
    Again this is one of those gameplay over lore things. While considered the best defensive faction in the Warhammer TT, Dwarves lack any kind of anti-cav other than their ranged units. Still though, you would be hard pressed to charge a group of Ironbreakers head on and do any significant damage.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobington View Post
    Spears are for pussies. No, seriosiously, you will not see a non-Chaos Dwarf use any melee weapon beyond an axe or hammer variant. Even the Mordheim Dwarfs that used daggers had them as tools using only for last resort, and the Slayer Pirates only had Cutlasses because well..... Pirates. However their axe/hammer and shield infantry is pretty much as good at taking cavalry charges as any spear units. Ironbreakers are considered the very best defensive unit in all WHFB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongfu View Post
    Again this is one of those gameplay over lore things. While considered the best defensive faction in the Warhammer TT, Dwarves lack any kind of anti-cav other than their ranged units. Still though, you would be hard pressed to charge a group of Ironbreakers head on and do any significant damage.
    Ahhhh okay, that makes total sense. Thanks guys

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I'm curious, how do they justify in the lore that dwarves have no cavalry? Or you mean that there is just no mention and no mounted miniatures?

Simple. They do not trust other species to carry them, since they have been killing virtually every species since they came to be.

EDIT: They have also never really needed cavalry. Until the goblin wars, every single conflict was a rather lop-sided victory by using massive supplies of artillery coupled with a powerful defence.
    Last edited by Bobington; April 25, 2016 at 10:34 PM.
    As God wills it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast