Page 18 of 81 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627284368 ... LastLast

Thread: MOS, the ultimate TATW experience.

Hi guys, recently installed MOS and i"m getting some weird campaign map lag that's especially intense in this Gondor campaign I just started.

I recently completed an Eriador campaign with no issues apart from very slight (but identical) lag when I tried to scroll over the whole map in a hurry (eg from eriador down to gondor). Now that I play as gondor, i'm getting constant laggy motions when I scroll across the map. Not sure but I feel it's also slightly affecting unit movement and build queues (when I select buildings to build, it's a little laggy).

I've enabled vsync and disabled campaign map shadows but no tangible benefit. All settings are on high. The strange thing is right when I start the gondor campaign, after selecting the scripts I want, I can scroll flawlessly. Performance seems to get worse and worse once I start queueing units and buildings etc. End-turn wait times aren't noticeably different. As noted this never happened with my Eriador campaign, even at the end when I was at ~45 regions.

Playing on a laptop, i7-4710HQ 2.5ghz (?) processor with R9 M265x 2gb video card, way above min specs. Video drivers are up to date (16.7). It's a non-steam install version (MTW2 Gold). My TATW is not installed in a UAC protected folder. (D:/Games/MTW2). I've already checked that it's not set on power saving mode and i've run a defrag and rebooted. My gut feeling is it's something to do with game settings/graphics, any ideas? Appreciate it.

Just a follow up, i started a campaign as Dale when I noticed I had the same problem - especially once I got sent into Mirkwood to capture Emyn Nu Fuin for a mission. I'm now pretty sure my lag is caused by trees. If i put the view over the water or on Forodwaith I can scroll from one side of the map to the other....but if i do it over Mirkwood I get huge lag. This is why Eriador was ok for me because there's relatively few trees there. Has anybody else got/solved a similar problem?

I found this comment from someone in a thread about long end turn wait times:

"Put your view screen into the ocean, empty plain/deserts, or similar high fps landscape. I find the tree animation drops my fps a lot, and with it the amount of time it takes for the turn to calculate.

Sadly, I can't find anyone who knows how to deactivate that stupid tree animation."

I don't have long end turn times but I do get bad campaign map lag, which I didn't have in vanilla TATW and shouldn' have, given my specs.... appreciate any suggestions, cheers.

A further update, although I blame trees there are times when I can scroll over them perfectly. E.g. on turn 7 with Dale I had no worries. Turn 8, lag. Later on in turn 8, no lag. I tried disabling all shadows and putting vegetation and texture quality to minimum and I *thought* this fixed it at first but it didn't. I'm now thoroughly puzzled - any ideas??
    Last edited by Veteraan; August 20, 2016 at 07:43 AM.

Greymane's Avatar Senator

Default Re: MOS, the ultimate TATW experience. Updated OP and submod links added: 2016-April-15th

Quote Originally Posted by SeanO91 View Post
    Ah, thanks Veteraan. Very devious. Loving the mod though, it's incredible. I have another question - did trolls get some sort of nerf vs archers in MOS? Aragorn alone wiped out a unit of cave trolls ( i know these have less hp in MOS; 4hp) with just half of his ammunition (attack 9, not AP as far as I know)and no melee attacks.

On another occasion, 3 units of archer militia (ranged attack 2, seriously, not AP) wiped out 7 of a group of Mountain Trolls (5hp) just in the normal distance. I wasn't kiting or anything, the trolls ran up, my archers fired as soon as they entered range, trolls ran until they hit my lines, but by then 7 of them were dead. This was very surprising to me because in Vanilla 5-6 units of elven archers couldn't even destroy a troll unit with their extra long range and high attacks. It was even more surprising because trolls have 5-6 more armour in MOS than they do in vanilla. The remaining 4 were a right mongrel to destroy in melee though, even with Dunedain swords. So, what gives?
    IIRC archers have always been stronger in MOS than in vanilla, that has not been changed in 1.7. Aragorn's unit is just really OP, but the archer militia bit is a tad surprising, seeing as I usually have to focus down trolls with about 5 units of Elven or Dunedain archers to kill them before they reach my lines (to be fair, those troll units usually number 12). You might have just been lucky with your accuracy.
    Oh and about melee: use units with armor piercing weapons to kill them. You will still lose a lot, but the trolls will die relatively fast, especially if they have been shot up already.

Default Re: MOS, the ultimate TATW experience. Updated OP and submod links added: 2016-April-15th

Do the Aragorn missions have a time limit on them? I sent Aragorn to Bree and then got a message saying to send him to the Hills of Rhudaur to look for Gollum. Can I use Aragorn as a general and have him fight in some battles and capture some settlements first, or will I fail the Gollum mission if I wait too long? It just seems silly for Eriador to keep having one of its most powerful units run all over the map and do nothing, rather than fight in battles.

I ignored the missions with no problems, then went back and did them later. But I usually use Aragorn to capture the castle north of his starting settlement so I often detour to bree for one turn and then back to the hills of rhudaur to siege it, so I auto complete the search for Gollum by turn 15 or so. I left the reforging of narsil on hold for like 60 turns before I completed that and I never did the mission after that. Hope that helps.

Cool, thanks.

Hello!

I seem to have an issue that after defeating the Forces of Evil crusading on Edoras. I will beat a Harad force back, which retreats several turns away. Were it ends up, it is flanked by two diplomats. The army and diplomats will then be locked in an eternal bump fest.

Any advice on how to either kill the diplomats/force so they do not glitch each-other out?

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by specter02147 View Post
    Hello!

I seem to have an issue that after defeating the Forces of Evil crusading on Edoras. I will beat a Harad force back, which retreats several turns away. Were it ends up, it is flanked by two diplomats. The army and diplomats will then be locked in an eternal bump fest.

Any advice on how to either kill the diplomats/force so they do not glitch each-other out?
    Welcome to TWC, specter02147.

Bumping, very annoying that. This video may help you get rid of the problem. The method used is moving an army out of the way, but the principle is the same. IIRC the code for killing a character is:

kill_character <character_name> : kills a character with the given name

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Laetus

Hi!

I'm having an issue with loading up battles. The battle will load up and then before it starts the game will crash and the message "Medieval 2 Total War encountered an error and will now exit" appears and I get sent back to my desktop. I'm aware that this is a common issue but I've tried both changing daylights savings time and turning on administrator access and it still won't work. For some reason turning off daylights savings time worked for TATW 3.2, but it won't work with MOS 1.7 Patch 05. Other then that the campaign map works fine and it runs well. Is there any other fix to this problem? (Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this I'm new to this place)

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtderek555 View Post
    Hi!

I'm having an issue with loading up battles. The battle will load up and then before it starts the game will crash and the message "Medieval 2 Total War encountered an error and will now exit" appears and I get sent back to my desktop. I'm aware that this is a common issue but I've tried both changing daylights savings time and turning on administrator access and it still won't work. For some reason turning off daylights savings time worked for TATW 3.2, but it won't work with MOS 1.7 Patch 05. Other then that the campaign map works fine and it runs well. Is there any other fix to this problem? (Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this I'm new to this place)
    try running the cleaner in your third age 3 folder
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    try running the cleaner in your third age 3 folder
    When I run Cleaner.bat some files are coming up as "Access Denied". Does that mean that the files aren't getting deleted?

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtderek555 View Post
    When I run Cleaner.bat some files are coming up as "Access Denied". Does that mean that the files aren't getting deleted?
    try running the cleaner as administrator
    if that does not work then I dont know the problem is
    I hope veteran or greymane can help you out then

D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Hi all ,

I am currently playing Isengard at around turn 93 and there is an issue with Sauron. Basically, after every turn I get a message that a new advisor had been promoted, which I guess it supposes brings sauron as the main leader. However Sauron never takes his place and I end getting the same message after every turn. Is there a way I can get it fixed? Which file should I look for? Thanks
    • “A reflective, contented mind is the best possession.” ...
    • “With an open mind, seek and listen to all the highest ideals. ...
    • “Turn yourself not away from three best things: Good Thought, Good Word, and Good Deed.” ...
    • “Do not hold grain waiting for higher prices when people are hungry.”

All by Zoroaster.

Laetus

Alright I ran the cleaner and things seem to be working now thank you

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Davidos View Post
    Hi all ,

I am currently playing Isengard at around turn 93 and there is an issue with Sauron. Basically, after every turn I get a message that a new advisor had been promoted, which I guess it supposes brings sauron as the main leader. However Sauron never takes his place and I end getting the same message after every turn. Is there a way I can get it fixed? Which file should I look for? Thanks
    I dont know for sure but it is a hardcoded MTW2 vanila mechanic I am afraid

At what turn does the barracks event happen?

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by RInger View Post
    At what turn does the barracks event happen?
    everywhere between 40 and 70 I believe

Default Help! What's the best way to defend barad-dur? (Gondor MOS 1.7)

Hi guys, having some trouble defending barad-dur due to the wonky camera angles (always elevating and then falling) and not being able to find any walls to put my troops on!

I've recently captured it from mordor and i have a basically untouched stack of gondor militia with a handful of archers, cavalry unit, and one large general's unit. The Witch King has come at me with a stack full of volunteers and halberdiers plus one olog-hai unit and a handful of Uruks.

I should be able to beat him by sallying but everytime I try some of my units (usually boromir) get stuck on the bridge and that ducks me right up. My militia just can't hack it without boromir hitting them from behind! They'll assault on the next turn but without any walls to use it looks as though the fight will be ugly, with their halberdiers grinding through my militia and cavalry in close quarters.

What are your suggestions? What's the best way to defend Barad-Dur as Gondor?

Default Re: Help! What's the best way to defend barad-dur? (Gondor MOS 1.7)

These custom settlements were made to look pretty not be realistic or even defensible, they are from a movie after all. The best way to defend would probably be to pack all your troops in tight behind the gate and leave it open for them, works in all settlements. They will all try to go in the gate so you don't even need to man the walls (it is practically a cheat). I don't think playing MOS has anything to do with it, they probably use the same settlement as everyone else.
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 30, 2016 at 12:09 AM.

Hey there, ive got a problem with my advisor. I want to start the total diplomacy script by clicking on the show me how botton, but my advisor just doesnt appear. In the Vanilla or the other kingdom mods like crusades or teutonic he is still there. Is he maybe deleted in the new MOS version cause he's the reason for battle crashes? New Installation did not help, ive got TATW 3.2 and MOS 1.7 + patches... Help, I want my advisor back!

saneel's Avatar Senator

I always get CTD when i am fighting spiders,.. any help please?