Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Release: "HaHawk's Native Voices Mod" Ver. 1.0

Help,i got the same problem with Der Bose Wolf only a bit different
    After i unpack the files,the voice txt are not in the data folder like nothing
    diplomacy.txt
    diplomacy_speech.txt
    export_descr_sounds_prebattle.txt
    export_descr_sounds_soldier_voice.txt
    export_descr_sounds_stratmap_voice.txt
    export_descr_sounds_units_battle_events.txt
    export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt

These are the only files that is not inside my game data folder (Without any mods).Is there something i am missing here?

Also,i tried installing the same instructions by copy them to the main game data folder and it crashed CTD error (My version is Disc of Gold Edition with all patches installed)

Do i have to change the files or something?
    Last edited by Frunk; February 02, 2018 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Posts merged.

Default Re: Release: "HaHawk's Native Voices Mod" Ver. 1.0

Is this still available? Neither link works.

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

Just wanted to share a quick "thank you" to HaHawk for this mod . As a fan of the now lost Beiss 's Xenophonia , I am very greatful that you have taken up the mantle !

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Is this still available? Neither link works.
    The direct download link (Google Drive) still works. Torrent never got seeded, though

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by HaHawk View Post
    The direct download link (Google Drive) still works. Torrent never got seeded, though
    How big is this mod?

If it's max 100 Mb then why not upload it on TWC Download or if it's larger than 100 Mb then click on the Add new file button on TWC Download and in the "Link to File" field just add the link for Google Drive.

Also, don't hesitate to ask for assistance or ask questions here.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    How big is this mod?

If it's max 100 Mb then why not upload it on TWC Download or if it's larger than 100 Mb then click on the Add new file button on TWC Download and in the "Link to File" field just add the link for Google Drive.
    Hi Leonardo thanks for the tip, I've added the file link to the M2TW mod database here on TWC (link).

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

That mod entry looks good in my book.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

I know you've avidly played 1648 this past year, with your Native Voices applied in some manner.
    Have you privately stitched your mod to the "Native Voices for 1648" mod?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...for-1648-V-2-0
    Are they related? You're not mentioned there by name.
    If it IS possible to have your audio files used correctly in the 1648 campaign, please share the joy.

Quote Originally Posted by igor kool View Post
    Amazing, thank you very much! Always wanted a mod like this.

I would like to report a bug though, first time I saw this.

Attachment 342288

I am guessing some things are missing?
    I don't know if this mod is still under development, but I've had the same bug as Igor here. Is there a way to fix this? Thank you HaHawk for the cool mod!

Does the direct link still work? I've tried it about 4 times now, 2 times I got a forbidden error, once it just straight canceled for some reason and the one I'm currently doing is stuck on spinning wheels of death. All 4 have done that though, I don't get a progress bar, it just tells me the download speed and then after some time it dies.

scratch that, ignore me, it works, I guess my introlnet was throwing a fit

Still no Stainless Steel Version? I've been waiting for 2 years with my Byzantines, Aragonese and Spaniards speaking ITALIAN.... Norwegians speaking Russian...and others.... I don't get it...almost no one plays vanilla without SS....
    Last edited by Tyberius; December 02, 2020 at 02:20 PM.

Hello i got your mod to work somewhat in Stainless Steel after editing descr_sounds_accents file and adding the factions that were missing in the file that are present in the mod.

However in the game map the voices seems to be working fine but audio from the main menu and ingame sfx seems to just dissapear after this, and also in battle some units do not speak and the "narrator" or whatever you like to call him that says things like "We killed the enemy general" is also gone. Is there any mod like this or any quick fix for Stainless Steel with native voices? im guessing it's doable to mod text files to get this to work but it seems tedious and i have no experience or patience to do it having very little knowledge about modding so im not willing to sit thru every text file and not get it to work. Sorry if i necro'd this post but i think the only thing im missing from Stainless Steel is having the native voices.

I managed to get it working to some degree. I have literaly 0 TW modding experience, so I'm not sure why or how, but it does. I sent you a steam friend invite, in case you want to test it out with me.

To reproduce, try the following:

1) Do a clean install of SS 6.4.
    2) Unpack HaHawk's Native Voices somewhere, dont install it yet.
    3) Copy the content of HaHawk's "data\sounds" into the VANILLA folder of M2TW, not the SS 6.4 one. Backup the original files somewhere safe just in case something goes wrong.
    4) All the other files (the .txts and the "data\text" stuff) goes into the SS 6.4 folder. Theres a little merging to be done, since obviously HaHawk's files doesn't have SS factions, and apparently SS has an unique accent (called Jerusalem, for the Crusader States I guess). I attached my files in case you dont want to go through the hassle of points 4a and 4b. Backup all original SS files just in case.
    4a) In most files, all I did was open each HaHawk's file, copy some random faction text block (for example, the parts corresponding to the "French" or "English" accents) and rename that part to "Jerusalem". I have no idea if this is neccesary or not.
    4b) The most important file is the "desc_sounds_accent" one. Open HaHawk's one, delete unused factions (like normans, saxons, and aztecs), and add SS ones wherever you feel they fit the most. Every time you change something here you have to repeat step 6.
    5) Copy the "data\text" stuff from HaHawk's into the SS folder. I have no idea how to open these files, but do it just in case.
    6) Delete the following files from the SS's "data\sounds" folder: "events.dat" and "events.idx". These files will get rebuilt the next time you launch the game. Backup as always!
    7) Open the game. It shouldn't crash.
    8) You should check that everything works. The menu should have music and SFX sounds as always. Start a campaing and see if the campaing voices work (for example, HRE speaks german). Start a quick skirmish and check that units speak in the correct language.

In case something doesnt work: try deleting all the .idx and .dat files from the SS's "data\sounds" folder and letting the game rebuild them. Be sure to backup them!

I test it out for about an hour and eveything seems to be more or less working. Theres only one bug: SS unique units don't talk when selected, but do when they move or attack. I even think they talk when selecting multiple of them, but not a single one. I have no idea why this happens, but its a minor inconvinience at best.

I truly believe Native Voices are a must, it adds a lot of flavour. It's a shame the mod doesn't have proper integration into SS, and the other voice mod (Xenophonia) is long dead. If anyone reads and tries this, please reply so we can help future people!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Ready View Post
    Theres only one bug: SS unique units don't talk when selected, but do when they move or attack. I even think they talk when selecting multiple of them, but not a single one.
    This is because the unit was designed to use a selection sound that doesn't exist for the voice accent assigned to it. Like the Danish weren't designed with the German voice accent so their unique units become silent.

If I remember correctly it's data/export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt that needs to be edited if you want to fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by DogeTeodoro View Post
    This is because the unit was designed to use a selection sound that doesn't exist for the voice accent assigned to it. Like the Danish weren't designed with the German voice accent so their unique units become silent.

If I remember correctly it's data/export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt that needs to be edited if you want to fix this.
    I see what you mean. For example, I changed Norway to German accent, but Viking Raiders "select" voice is under the Eastern European accent. I changed the file, simply coping the Viking Raiders text block to the german accent, but it still doesn't work. I tried deleting all the .idx and .dat files in sounds to no avail. Maybe the problem is in the "voice1", "voice2", and "voice3" files from HaHawk? Those can't be rebuilt, or at least I don't know how. Do you have any other ideas so I can keep trying? Thanks!

I see what you mean. For example, I changed Norway to German accent, but Viking Raiders "select" voice is under the Eastern European accent. I changed the file, simply coping the Viking Raiders text block to the german accent, but it still doesn't work. I tried deleting all the .idx and .dat files in sounds to no avail. Maybe the problem is in the "voice1", "voice2", and "voice3" files from HaHawk? Those can't be rebuilt, or at least I don't know how. Do you have any other ideas so I can keep trying? Thanks!
    Copying the text entries won't work because the German voice set doesn't have those unique unit selection sounds. What you'll have to do instead is replace them with one of the generic infantry selection sounds in the German voice set.

Quote Originally Posted by DogeTeodoro View Post
    Copying the text entries won't work because the German voice set doesn't have those unique unit selection sounds. What you'll have to do instead is replace them with one of the generic infantry selection sounds in the German voice set.
    Yeah, I figured it out after a while. It also has to respect the "general", "heavy" or "light" tag of the unit. The good news is that now all that it's left is editing the .txt. It will take a while, there are unholy numbers of units... it's actually ridiculous. I will update the thread as soon as I have it working. In the current status, I have music, SFX sounds (buttons, etc), native voices of most units (everything non-SS specific) in all circunstances (general speeches, campaing map, "the enenmy is routing", etc). I think that with this fix, it should be completely merged.

That been said, if someone else is interested in this mod and is lurking the thread, please take 5 minutes to reply with bugs and such, even if it means creating an account. I'm not going to beta test this out by myself. I'm just going to check really quickly if every unit has basic lines in custom battles, and will continue my Norway campaing.

Thank you very much for your help DogeTeodoro, it really sped up the process.

Well, here it is. Follow the instructions from my other comment but use the files I attach here. Like I said, this had minimal beta-testing, but in my playthrough everything works fine. If you try it out and stuff isn't working, please let me know so we can figure it out.

In case anyone cares, this merge does the following:

1. All factions now speak a more regional friendly language. It still has all the limitations of HaHawk's mod, i.e., Poland speaks Russian, Norway speaks german, etc.
    2. All merc units speak the language more appropriate for their origin or zone of recruitment, i.e., Highlanders will speak scottish no matter what civ you are.
    3. The Crusader States have their own "accent" called Jerusalem. Their units speak mostly french, but some speak german, english, or italian. This represents the multicultural aspect of the crusaders.
    4. Some units are still silent, but they are mostly cuman and mongolian units, and I'm sure they are bugged far beyond my knowledge. You shouldn't notice it with western or arab civs.
    5. Voice lines were picked with uniformity in mind, so even if there was a more "realistic" alternative, gameplay was more important. For example, all dismounted knights shout some variation of "heavy infantry" instead of shouting "knights", which would be more proper as they are still knights but on foot.
    6. I didn't clean any file. The main 4 files I used are full of spelling errors, clutter, and leftovers (manly aztec units). I don't have the will to do any of this, but everything works fine so it should matter at all.

If you want to know what language each civ speaks, here is the detail:

English: England
    Scottish (english with an accent): Scotland
    French: France
    German: HRE, Denmark, Teutonic Order, Norway
    Mediterranean (italian): Genoa, Venice, Sicily, Papal States, Byzantium
    East European (russian): Novgorod, Poland, Hungary, Kievan Rus, Lithuania
    Arabic (english with an accent): Turks, Egypt, Kwarezm
    Mongolian (english with an accent): Mongols, Cumans, Timurids
    Spanish: Castile, Portugal, Aragon
    "Jerusalem" (mix of french, german, english, and italian): Crusader States
    Moorish (spanish with an accent): Moors.

If you disagree with any choice, you are free to change it yourself. It's really not that hard, and a single civ change won't take long either. To change any civ around, you have to do the following:

1. Open "descr_sounds_accents.txt" and change the civ to the language of your choosing. Backup just in case.
    2. Go to "...\SS6.3\data\sounds" and delete events.idx and voice.idx.
    3. Launch the game. It shouldn't crash. If it crashes and you can't seem to understand what is happening, you can check the log here: "...\SS6.3\system.log"

This is enough to have most units working. Some special units may not work. For example, if you change Polish from East European (russian) to English, polish unique units may not work. If you want to do a complete change, then do this:

1. Back up all the files I mention here.
    2. Open "export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt" and "export_descr_unit.txt". The first file defines the generic responses of each unit in each language, and it also controls what the units say when selected. The second one list all units with their stats. This one is useful to see what the unit is called in the system files, and it can also override what language is spoken by the unit.
    3. Create a custom battle with the civ, select the period "ALL" so you can access all units, and give you more money. Spawn all units and click on them.
    4. Whenever a unit doesn't respond, look for that unit in "export_descr_unit.txt". For example, if the Polish Knights are silent when selected, look them up in the file.
    5. Optional: If you don't find the unit in "export_descr_unit.txt", you can try looking in "...\SS6.3\data\text\export_units.txt". This file list all units with their descriptions as shown in the UI. You can try looking for the unit’s name, or a part of the unit description. For example, "Piast Nobles" internal name is "Polish_Nobles". You won't find Piast Nobles in export_descr_unit.txt.
    6. Check the "class" and/or "voice_type" tags. These tags control if the unit is "light" or "heavy". It also should NOT have an "accent" tag. This tag overrides the other file, so the unit will always speak that language no matter the civ. If the tag is present, remove the line.
    7. In "export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt", look for the language you are adding, and then scroll down to the line "Unit_Select" for the appropriate class. For example, if you are changing Poles from russian to english, and you are adding Polish Knights, look for "accent English", then look for "Unit_select" in the "Heavy" category.
    8. Once here, look for the most similar unit, duplicate the text block, and change the unit’s name to the new unit. For example, you can duplicate the text block for the english speaking "Feudal Knights” and change the unit name to "Polish Knights".
    9. Keep in mind: you can add sounds from "light" units for "heavy" units. This is useful for accents that are missing certain voice lines. For example, if english doesn't have a voice line for "heavy" crossbows, you can use the voice line from "light" crossbows. The class is only important for adding the unit in the correct text block, i.e., if you add an unit defined as heavy in the light text block, it won't work.
    10. Go to "...\SS6.3\data\sounds" and delete events.idx and voice.idx. Repeat this step everytime you change anything anywhere.
    11. Launch the game. Remember that it shouldn't crash. If it does, something went wrong. You can always check the log as stated above.

HaHawk, if you read this, I would like to upload this to ModDB. If you don't reply in the next months I will go ahead and post it anyways, you can always contact me if you want it deleted.

Have fun, and please report bugs!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well, here it is. Follow the instructions from my other comment but use the files I attach here. Like I said, this had minimal beta-testing, but in my playthrough everything works fine. If you try it out and stuff isn't working, please let me know so we can figure it out.

(snip)

HaHawk, if you read this, I would like to upload this to ModDB. If you don't reply in the next months I will go ahead and post it anyways, you can always contact me if you want it deleted.

Have fun, and please report bugs!
    This is excellent news! Well done!

It's a very pleasant coincidence that I found your post today—just a few weeks after you completed your work. I don't browse TWC or do any gaming these days unfortunately—not because I don't want to, but because of life constraints... in fact I reeeeaaallly miss M2TW!!

As for your question, as far as I'm concerned this mod is "free domain". I hope anyone who uses it can credit me, but other than that, feel free to use it however and wherever you please.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast