Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Release: "HaHawk's Native Voices Mod" Ver. 1.0

Laetus

Default Re: Release: "HaHawk's Native Voices Mod" Ver. 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Ready View Post
    Well, here it is. Follow the instructions from my other comment but use the files I attach here. Like I said, this had minimal beta-testing, but in my playthrough everything works fine. If you try it out and stuff isn't working, please let me know so we can figure it out.
    I got the mod to work for the most part for SS however there are a few factions that are silent when you click on them in the campaign map (Novgorod, Castile/Leon, and Genoa). Also, the sound effects of the main game menu when you click on options or custom game or campaign are gone now.

The Great Khan of Rome's Avatar Civis

As the mod was never finished by Hawk, I've taken it upon myself to try and finish this mod. As a language learner, this is a good opportunity for me. I've known how to pronounce Danish for some time now and the other languages seem doable. I'll list off the langs that are in the mod and those that aren't and the changes I want in it.

English for England is fine, but if immersion's the goal here, I think trying to do Old English or perhaps Middle English would be more in line with that. Even Scots might be a good replacement, as it still holds on to linguistical artifacts from before the great vowel shift. A video on it, done Langfocus, can be seen here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X5zX3yVoiQ

Scotland and henceforth Scottish units will speak Scottish Gaelic. Gaelic Scots is a difficult to pronounce, even for somebody who can pronounce Danish to some degree of accuracy, so to save time and for the sake of the mod, I'll just read them as they're written.

Nothing will change for HRE, France, or the Teutonic Order.

Denmark will speak Danish.

Norway will speak Norwegian.

Italian serves as a lingua franca between the many dialects and langs of Italy today, so it makes sense that Genoa, Venice, Sicily, Papal States would all use it for their shared units. But for unique units, they'll speak their regional langs. Which means the Venetian Heavy Infantry will speak Venetian, Genoese Crossbowmen will speak Genoese, etc. Papacy unique units will use Latin. I'm gonna use EB's Latin voice set, but the problem is it's classical pronunciation, not ecclesiastical, which would have been the pronunciation at time.

Byzantines will speak Greek. For now, I'll just use EB's voice pack just like papal unique units

Novgorod speaking Russian is fine and so is Kievan Rus.

Poland will speak Polish.

Hungary will speak Hungarian.

Lithuania will speak Lithuanian.

Arabic could make sense for most Muslim factions, as that served as a lingua franca and the liturgical language of and between Muslim nations. Arabic will be used for units that are shared between, much like Italian. And like Italian, faction unique units will use the regional language, so Turkish Horse Archers will speak Turkish for instance. The exception to this is Kwarezm, which will use Farsi/Persian. Again, I'll just use EB's Persian. The same is for the Timiruds.

Mongols will speak Mongolian. Cumans will a bit tricky. Cumans spoke a Turkic language, so using Turkish will probably work as an approximation, but I'll like to use Cuman if I can.

Castile speaking Spanish is fine.

Portugal will speak Portuguese.

Aragon will speak Aragonese.

Moors speaking Spanish is a bit strange, so they'll speak Arabic. Spanish speaking Muslims make sense for an Andalusian faction, but not for Moors. Moroccan Arabic might be used for Moorish unique units.

This is just main faction cultures, and there's already a lot to cover. Campaign map voices will be done first, with battle lines being last, thanks to the sheer volume of battle lines in M2TW. I only have a blue snowball for a mic, and it's not good, but I'll use it for now until I have something better.

The first factions to be worked on are dependent on how I can speak their language, so the one's that will use EB's voice sets will be done first.
    Last edited by The Great Khan of Rome; May 20, 2022 at 09:24 PM.
    Creator of UNREAL, balance mod series that promises changes to everything Total War, and it's offshoots, MEGA for other games. Basically, I'm reject Radious.

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

I've just used Ready's work on applying HaHawk's native voices to Stainless Steel.

But I'm a little confused about how these files function. Could someone help me better understand?

I've placed the dat and idx files into the vanilla sounds folder, and the txt files into the mod data folder, as Ready instructed.
    Everything appears to be functioning as intended. Thanks Ready!

But now I want to modify my music files as well.
    But that involves rebuilding the events.dat and events.idx and I'm not getting functional results. Possibly because HaHawk's dat and idx files are over in the vanilla sounds folder while my music changes are being managed in the SS mod folders.

Maybe I should just be trying to do these things in one place, over in the vanilla folders?
    Maybe I should be unpacking HaHawk's dat into loose mp3 files, along with all my new music sounds, in the vanilla folders?
    The perhaps port them over into the mod folders if need be once they're rebuilt?

I'm just guessing here. Having this stuff spread between two different data/sound folders kinda messes with my head.
    What's going on here?

is there any chance to make this mod for bellum crucis and SSHIPP? i tried to make this for bellum crucis, so i changed descr_sounds_accents.txt without adding the rest of the files of this mod because it crashes the game on bellum crucis, changing only descr_sounds_accents.txt works fine for all factions except spanish and moorish factions the just go silent, i know there is something that i have to do with the rest of the files but i dont know what is. someone maybe can help me out? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Estev90 View Post
    I got the mod to work for the most part for SS however there are a few factions that are silent when you click on them in the campaign map (Novgorod, Castile/Leon, and Genoa). Also, the sound effects of the main game menu when you click on options or custom game or campaign are gone now.

THIS any fix ?

i found how to fix it, after you make all the steps for merging you have to delete all the idx files not only the events.idx. delete voice 1, 2 ,3 idx as well

what's the difference between this and xenophonia native voice mod?
    Is this better, more complete?? which is recommended?

Also, does any fix rebel (brigand) accents so that they fit the region they appear in?
    It's weird that british rebels have a strange accent on the british isles for example, they should have a regional accent that fits
    Last edited by ArcadeGames; May 17, 2023 at 03:27 PM.

removed? downlowed link is broken

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Google Drive's link appears to be up.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Khan of Rome View Post
    As the mod was never finished by Hawk, I've taken it upon myself to try and finish this mod. As a language learner, this is a good opportunity for me. I've known how to pronounce Danish for some time now and the other languages seem doable. I'll list off the langs that are in the mod and those that aren't and the changes I want in it.
    Did you manage to do it? If so, please provide a download link.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234