Thread: Old 3 disc install on Win 10

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

Default Old 3 disc install on Win 10

Hi there everyone,

I hope I don't upset the current admins as I noticed some similar threads but they seam to revolve around Steam versions of the game.

I have justinstalled a very early version of RTW on Windows10. It won't alas, run. It is not a Steam version. I want the earlier version so I can use some old mods. What should I do...?

Thanks for any help.

edit - after reading the thread: Windows 10 issues with Rome Total War and Roma Surrectum - Possible Solutions - it seems I can't.

Next question - How can I get to use RTR 6.0 Gold?
    Last edited by imb39; April 09, 2016 at 05:23 PM.

Default Re: Old 3 disc install on Win 10

Hi! I've noticed getting old 3-disc versions working on Win 10 is easier than what I expected (that's why I delayed my Win10 update so long). I'll try to make it as simple as possible.

-First, set your RTW exes (RTW, BI and ALX) to run as Administrator and in Win7 Compatibility Mode.

-Then, all your shortcuts both to mods and to vanilla games should look something like this: "D:\Games\Rome Total War Anthology\RomeTW-BI.exe" -nm -ne -show_err -mod:xxx (of course for vanilla no need of the -mod switch).

-Just to be sure, I also set the .exes to run in single screen mode and forced AA off in my Nvidia panel but I'm not sure if it's mandatory.

-Last, open your preferences file. You only need to set the game resolution the same as your desktop. In my case:
    STRATEGY_RESOLUTION:1366x768
    STRATEGY_MAX_RESOLUTION:1366x768
    STRATEGY_32_BIT:TRUE
    BATTLE_RESOLUTION:1366x768
    BATTLE_MAX_RESOLUTION:1366x768
    BATTLE_32_BIT:TRUE

That's it, you should be done.

Sizzy, is it possible to create run RTW in Windows 10 in a virtual Windows XP or 7 environment?

I would assume so, yet I have never tried this.