Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: weird and weak animations

Default weird and weak animations

The thing that hurts me, videos after videos , is the animations in combat: most of time the unit that is charged don't react and let the ennemies attack without protecting, they just stand like statues. After that we see also that is the first line react, the others lines behind don't react at all like they were spectators. The jumping animation looks a bit weird also, all the races make that, it looks too arcade.
    The main problem for me is that when there's a fight a lot of soldiers are standing around, without any reaction, combats look weak.

Default Re: weird and weak animations in combat

What can I say, It's a matter of taste.. Personally I like it alot. It makes the battles look more visceral and active especially when someone goes 1v3 and gets overwhelmed by his foes.

I loved the animations im Rome2/Attila but not in the cost of them creating an unnatural combat where 3 opponents would take turns to fight a single peasant.. It also created way more blobbing and the formations shattered into bubbles and weird looking scrap fights even between veteran well trained units..

I think they should keep some execute animations though just like in MTW2 and Dawn of War 2. Maybe they will be introduced with Blood and Gore DLC.. but no, keep the whole choreography 24/7 out of Total War games..

Well having watched the EGX video I can say that the undead had super lame animation response to Chaos... However I think that is because the undead units were not issued attack commands and just sort of stood there. So long as it looks somewhat decent when they are both issued attack commands I will be pleased. I do not have delusions of perfection from CA but they should be able to put something competent together. The Charges from the black Knights during that siege video looked really good. The Vargheists also looked great.

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

We have to be honest. TW Warhammer is a good made mod from Rome2. Sure to create the units was lot of work, but not that ultra supra great. For MTW also we have that units too. Maybe one Day CA tell us why they do not use for example the animations from Rome2. Many things seems not finished. Surely CA did not changed realese because of optical things.

P.S. We buy it and will have fun. After some mods it will be great. Maybe CA also do something for Warhammer 2.
    Last edited by joedreck; April 09, 2016 at 01:49 PM.
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I have noticed that when Demigryphs were charged in the back, the triggered animation is that of when they are hit frontally, so they are actually jumping backwards. Not a major issue, but still.

Also, I guess I should re-post this here:

Last edited by HigoChumbo; April 09, 2016 at 02:27 PM.

The Chaos Gods reel before the power of Sigmar.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Poor Chaos warrior did not see that coming.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

A lot of stuff looks unfinished and unpolished, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexSMD View Post
    What can I say, It's a matter of taste.. Personally I like it alot. It makes the battles look more visceral and active especially when someone goes 1v3 and gets overwhelmed by his foes.

I loved the animations im Rome2/Attila but not in the cost of them creating an unnatural combat where 3 opponents would take turns to fight a single peasant.. It also created way more blobbing and the formations shattered into bubbles and weird looking scrap fights even between veteran well trained units..

I think they should keep some execute animations though just like in MTW2 and Dawn of War 2. Maybe they will be introduced with Blood and Gore DLC.. but no, keep the whole choreography 24/7 out of Total War games..

You are gosh darn right!! As I saw that matched combat was gone, I jumped on the hypetrain.

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by AlexSMD View Post

Well said.

Perhaps it's video playback but I also think the animations look a bit odd. Like there is no actual connection sometimes between the units and yet a unit is knocked back. Almost like a shockwave (and no am not talking about magic or magic effect, am referring to physical contact).

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

I do Maybe understand why a giant and skeleton do not have an fight animation, but why the heros do not have epic fights against each other!?
    Imagine how great it would be ....
    Copy good idea and make it better is not a shame. Hero fight like at mark of chaos with CA great animation would be awesome!
    Last edited by joedreck; April 21, 2016 at 07:24 AM.
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

Quote Originally Posted by joedreck View Post
    why the heros do not have epic fights against each other!?
    Because other fans have been asking for them to be removed. You can't pleased everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Garensterz View Post
    Well said.
    Agreed. I understand CA has a massive challenge if they wanted all units to interact properly with one another. I do hope they would add some of them. After watching the video 'a slayers guide: giants' https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...s-guide-giants it sure would be fun, for instance, if dwarf slayers would be able to climb onto a giant and hang of his neck. It just all looks pretty unimaginitave right now. Just like how a giant walks up to a gate and of course just hacks at it....would be way more interesting if he would hang of the gate and ram /swing his feet through. Anyhow, CA hopefully will add some of these animations, probably not. The game looks nice but is hardly a step forward in presentation. No flags/banners. Units move and react to each other far from realistic. Oh well. They just are not that ambitious tech wise. Lack of funds?

Vanders's Avatar Civis

It would be nice to see some more reactiveness from units when there are enemies right beside them fighting allies or when something big and scary is nearby. As it stands they do a lot of standing around looking quite uninterested in the battle until they are ordered to move. At one point on the walls in the latest Bretonnia vs Vampire Counts battle you can see the the Grave Guard charging forward next to some spearmen and they just stand there looking about the place.

Perhaps they should start taunting when when the enemy is within a certain proximity like they do at the beginning of battle. It would be great to see a little shock or cowering when something like a Terrorgheist lands or flies nearby.

Another thing that looked strange was the Skeletons running almost in sync as their shields were raised and lowered during the sprint.

It would be cool to have some specific animations for heroes when they engage in combat with one another for some truly epic showdowns. The jump animation on Leon Leoncoeur was pretty arcady, but I think it was also epic so I don't really want to see it going. But the way that Empire Swordsman shoryuken'd that Warrior was not what I want to see though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanders View Post
    It would be nice to see some more reactiveness from units when there are enemies right beside them fighting allies or when something big and scary is nearby. As it stands they do a lot of standing around looking quite uninterested in the battle until they are ordered to move. At one point on the walls in the latest Bretonnia vs Vampire Counts battle you can see the the Grave Guard charging forward next to some spearmen and they just stand there looking about the place.
    But that is what happens in every TW becuase the played has to input orders for any kind of reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanders View Post
    Another thing that looked strange was the Skeletons running almost in sync as their shields were raised and lowered during the sprint.
    That happens in ROme 2 and Attila if not in all TW's.
    It would be cool if they wrent so much in syn but I dont think they can do it for gameplay's sake.

In the Brettonia gameplay video, the Brettonian King has a nice exectuion animation for big monsters.
    It's a little awakrd but it is something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AzEqhS0rcY#t=10m02s

If this is any indication, perhaps we can see more of these
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; April 23, 2016 at 06:08 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bust Nak View Post
    Because other fans have been asking for them to be removed. You can't pleased everybody.
    No, not for heroes. I hated that every unit had do to duels in Rome 2, but for heroes in Warhammer duels are canon and epic. It's not a problem if the other dudes don't interfere with the duel, on the contrary it's awesome, I imagine them thinking "let's stay out of the way" or "I can only get in the way"

Quote Originally Posted by jim501 View Post
    In the Brettonia gameplay video, the Brettonian King has a nice exectuion animation for big monsters.
    It's a little awakrd but it is something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AzEqhS0rcY#t=10m02s

If this is any indication, perhaps we can see more of these
    I agree that the leaping back is awkward, otherwise it's awesome :p
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; April 23, 2016 at 06:09 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by jim501 View Post
    That happens in ROme 2 and Attila if not in all TW's.
    It would be cool if they wrent so much in syn but I dont think they can do it for gameplay's sake.
    It is possible to get rid of it both in Rome 2 and Attila like we did in DeI and just added a bit more animation variations. I think that even vanilla Rome 2 and Attila do not have perfect sync, while so far units in Warhammer seem to have a picture perfect sync.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Aquila_Mars's Avatar Semisalis

Going slightly off the most recent post topics, I don't know where or when I've seen it, but I think I saw the Hippogriph knights couch their lances somewhere. Could that form a basis for the animation of normal cavalry with lances to couch the lances?
    LET US SHOOT THE BOOT, MAKE THE TOPHAT GO MOOT

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Quote Originally Posted by Bust Nak View Post
    In this case you can, or at least the fans asking for heroes to be removed can please themselves.

BY NOT USING THE HEROES IF THEY DON'T LIKE THEM!

I really don't get this as I have seen quite a few instances of fans complaining about a feature(not a restriction or paid DLC or stuff like that) that devs have ADDED to a game(such as the Omniblade heavy melee of Mass Effect 3) and are to get them removed when if they really don't like such features all they have to do is not use them. If some people don't like using heroes, then that's fine, just don't use them. There's no need to go about complaining that they need to be removed when there are plenty of people that WILL enjoy using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    No, not for heroes. I hated that every unit had do to duels in Rome 2, but for heroes in Warhammer duels are canon and epic. It's not a problem if the other dudes don't interfere with the duel, on the contrary it's awesome, I imagine them thinking "let's stay out of the way" or "I can only get in the way"

I agree that the leaping back is awkward, otherwise it's awesome :p

I agree, I loved some of the cool fights and finishing moves in Rome 2 and Attila, especially with blood and gore, but that sync combat can really screw things up especially if a unit is down to a few people and there's 10 or so guys surrounded by like 40 enemies and most of unit with superior numbers will stand back and just let their buddies fight one v one duels whereas in Rome 1 if a someone was surrounded by enemies, then the enemies would just surround that poor bastard and just slash and stab him all at the same time over and over until he's dead. Much like what would happen in a real life fight if one person gets surround by 5 or 6 bad guys. They're not gonna hang back and just fight one at a time.

It made some sense in Shogun 2 as Samurai combat was a lot about finding an enemy who seemed like a worthy opponent and fighting in a duel while everyone else fought their one separate 1v1 duels around you, but it's kind of stupid in instances like Rome 2 or Attila, especially with units that use formations like Shieldwall, or the Phalanx. Hell in Real Life Rome was all about sticking to the formation and NOT running out to try and be the badass in that soldiers were drilled to stay in formation and there have been instances where they have been punished and in some cases even executed for ing up said formations.

I think it would pretty cool to see things like the no name units just stick to their formations and use nonsync fighting but the Lords and Heroes will engage in epic duels and even do have a feature where the normie units nearby will fall back and in possibly even cheer for their respective "champions". Heck in some cases, maybe even super elite high tier units can do this as well.

In retrospect this may have been Bust Nak was referring to when he said that fans have been calling for it to be removed and the "it" was the matched/sync combat and not the heroes themselves and now I feel like a dumbass and I can't really see that I can edit my posts so I guess I'll just have to live with it, though I do still have a point with my earlier rant.

Also did enjoy seeing that animation of the Bretonnian Lord killing that Crypt Horror, and am looking forward to seeing a lot more.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; April 27, 2016 at 10:20 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast