Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 122728293031323334353637

Thread: The Witcher (I, II, III) - CD Projekt RED games

Default Re: The Witcher (I, II, III) - CD Projekt RED games

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Thanks

Thronebreaker is a single player role-playing game set in the world of The Witcher that combines narrative-driven exploration with unique puzzles and card battle mechanics. Crafted by the developers responsible for some of the most iconic moments in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, the game spins a truly regal tale of Meve, a war-veteran queen of two Northern Realms — Lyria and Rivia. Facing an imminent Nilfgaardian invasion, Meve is forced to once again enter the warpath, and set out on a dark journey of destruction and revenge.

It sounds like it is set between Book 2 and 5 of the Witcher, during the Second Nilfgaardian War. The First War was the one where Geralt adopted Ciri, and the Third War is the one in the Witcher 3.

The Good Old Games (GOG) link says that it will be $40 AUD and the following...

Main Features
    • Experience an all new 30-hour Witcher Tale with 20 possible world end-states.
    • Embark on over 75 thought-provoking side quests — one of the hallmarks of The Witcher series.
    • Explore never-before-seen parts of The Witcher world — Lyria, Rivia, Aedirn, Mahakam and Angren.
    • Manage resources, recruit and develop units in your very own customizable war camp.
    • Build an army and engage in story battles, which twist the game’s rules in wildly unexpected ways.

Additional Features:
    • Thronebreaker features over 250 single player tailored cards, as well as 20 brand new cards for GWENT: The Witcher Card Game.
    • Each card represents an entity in the game — characters players interact with during open world exploration can become on-hand assets, deployable during battle.
    • During each playthrough, players make choices and face their consequences — acting against an ally’s convictions might cause their card to disappear from the deck.
    • Mastering the campaign allows unlocking premium animated versions of cards, additional multiplayer avatars, borders, and titles.
    • Fully voice-overed dialogues, localized into 11 languages.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; September 27, 2018 at 07:16 PM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Oh, interesting

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

So it seems like Gwent: The Witcher Card Game is the full multiplayer game, whereas this is a watered down singleplayer version with a campaign. Both release on the same day.

Andrzej Sapkowski has (or is threatening to) start legal proceedings against CD Projekt to try and recover money because he alleges that the contract he signed with CD Projekt where he signed away the creative rights to make Witcher games was
    a) Incredibly unfavourable to him; and
    b) Only permitted the creation of a single Witcher game, not sequels and expansions.

CD Projekt's response can be read here, whilst an English translation of Sapkowski's letter of demand can be read here.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Hmm. Just have read the two letters. Honestly there is nothing to discuss for us here. We have no clue about the contract between Sapkowski and CDPR. But interesting nonetheless, what goes on there with (one of) my favourite lore-fantasy novel author and my favourite games company. And all that on the back of Geralt ... better to forget that info quickly. May these both parties find a solution.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

From what I have heard, Sapkowski is in the wrong here. It is his own fault for being pessimistic about CD Projekt RED, and games in general.

Campidoctor

It was just a matter of time, honestly.
    His "arguments" are funny, which can be translated to: "Well, I didn't really care back then, but now that you made the big money with your unexpected success, I changed my mind."

Here's the hoping it will turn out just fine before it gets ugly.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

In an interview a while ago Sapkowski stated that he regrets not having believed in the games success. CDProject offered him a percentage and he said: "No, give me my money now!"
    And that's according to his own recollection.
    So he got ~9500$ in todays money. Oh well. This is entirely his own fault.

Thing is though that being right in the strict sense is not the same thing as being right in the legal sense.
    As far as I heard Sapkowski does have some legitimate claim according to Polish law. If your recompense is too low you can sue for compensation.
    So due to him being too short sighted, too arrogant and too greedy to negotiate himself a better deal doesn't mean he's screwed.

The most likely outcome of all of this is that they'll settle. A claim is always far higher than what one can reasonably expect, and thus it's unlikely he's even hoping for the full 16 mil.
    It's more likely he hopes CDProject will give him a million or two to shut him up and settle it that way, and he's got good chances for that to succeed.

Btw. the lawyer of Sapkowski seems to be an amateur. CDProject is market-listed, which means they are likely legally obligated to publicise such claims to their shareholders and creditors.
    And yet the extortion letter explicitly states that they should better not make these claims public and threatens them for that. A day later the letter's already been publicised.

I also don't think the Witcher lore is particularly great. The games are great because of what the game developers made of it. They could've done the same with any other game universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Lore is great, only problem with it, was the fact Sapkowski got bored with it, when writing the last book and he didnt know what to do with it and how to end it.. that was main reason why a lot of themes were never concluded (White Frost/Illithine prophecies, Wild Hunt) and CDPR just took over and build up on it... Besides, Sapkowski would never get so popular in the west if it wasnt for CDPR.. in US, nobody knew about Witcher up until games got released..

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    Lore is great, only problem with it, was the fact Sapkowski got bored with it, when writing the last book and he didnt know what to do with it and how to end it.. that was main reason why a lot of themes were never concluded (White Frost/Illithine prophecies, Wild Hunt) and CDPR just took over and build up on it... Besides, Sapkowski would never get so popular in the west if it wasnt for CDPR.. in US, nobody knew about Witcher up until games got released..
    I had the same feeling, the book quality was steadily declining from third novel.

I have a feeling that this timing isn't a coincidence. With Netflix about to release its own series, aparently with the image vastly different from the games, it might be an attempt to stop CDPR releasing further Witcher media that could present issues to Netflix.

Actually, Sapkowski backed out of Netflix series..

Oh? Source?

Campidoctor

IMG
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt of Rivia
    "What now, you piece of filth?"

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Sapkowski repeatedly stated that he had 0 interest in adaptations. He literally said that he'd be happy to license the IP to a toothpaste factory and all he wants is a bag of money. So I never expected him to be in the series in the first place.

I also don't think the Netflix show and his blackmail to CDPR got much to do with each other, except that he maybe got a huge stack of money from Netflix and then decided he could've gotten even more from CDPR.
    That pretty much tells us the lore is more "meh" than great. If he's simply written himself into a writers corner, that simply makes him the fantasy novel version of JJ Abrams or George R.R. Martins role-model. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

I think this view is almost objectively right.

Personally i consider Sapkowski's lore as one of the best that was written in the fantasy genre.
    Lady of the Lake is content-wise indicating of lost inspiration to continue properly the Witcher story, imo. also especially when Ciri's travel was connected with some King Arthur lore (this is what i dislike at most). Else, it can just happen that an author looses "input" to make a proper "output", when have worked over many years on a theme. Nothing to wonder about.

@ Cookiegod

"The games are great because of what the game developers made of it."

Yes, the games are great (also by all its flaws in its vanilla versions, especially W3). And that's to a good degree the case, because they had a great template with the lore written by Sapkowski as basement for everything that came by CDPR in this regard.

"They could've done the same with any other game universe."

"Game universe"? Hmm, "lore universe", you meant probably. CDPR created something like a "RPG lore universe" based on Sapkowski's lore.
    And the assumption is pure speculation. Fact is there, CDPR guys are very talented games developers, using creative adaption of lore-themes.

"That pretty much tells us the lore is more "meh" than great. If he's simply written himself into a writers corner, that simply makes him..."

This is nothing but a layman's subjective opinion. True is merely, according literature critiques praised his works aka its author as one of the worldbest writer of the genre, finally with the World Fantasy Award (US, 2016). While he was long on the list in europe, especially east-europe (first Poland and also Russia), with a huge fan basis and best-selling numbers in the genre, just a success starting since his first book release, an author's success with the witcher universe long before the games existed.

Nonetheless, one can firmly assume, that the games made his works then popular on an international scale.

Truth by all that is one thing: If there wasn't Sapkowski with his Witcher novels, there wasn't any Witcher game nor CDPR's overwhelming success on the game market. No Netflix, nor any other, movie adaptions of Witcher stories, or any Witcher article in this world.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 09, 2018 at 11:29 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.