Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Warhammer I & II & III Computer & Hardware Recommendations

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Icon5 Warhammer I & II & III Computer & Hardware Recommendations

Please, use this thread to ask your hardware related questions, such as "will I be able to run this game in x settings?", "should I upgrade x part?", etc.

For your convenience, here are the official Total War: Warhammer specifications:

Click to view content: 
    All systems perform differently. The framerates below are based on PCs using the quoted specs with fresh OS installs, no major background programs running, and should be taken as a guide rather than an absolute. Total War: WARHAMMER is still in development and undergoing optimisation and compatibility testing and these specs are subject to change.

PC Minimum Specifications:

[Expected around 15-25 FPS on campaign map and in a 1v1, 20 units vs 20 units battle, default graphics preset set to “Low”]

• Operating System: Windows 7 64Bit
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
    • RAM: 3GB*
    • Hard Drive: 35 GB
    • Video Card: (DirectX 11) AMD Radeon HD 5770 1024MB | NVIDIA GTS 450 1024MB | Intel HD4000 @720P

(*)PC integrated graphics chipsets require 4GB ram, e.g. Intel HD series

PC Recommended Specifications:

[Expected around 45-55 FPS on campaign map and in a 1v1, 20 units vs 20 units battle, default graphics preset set to “High”]

• Operating System: Windows 7/8.1/10 64Bit
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4570 3.20GHz
    • RAM: 8 GB
    • Video Card: (DirectX 11) AMD Radeon R9 270X 2048MB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2048MB @1080P

PC 60fps+ Specifications:

[Expected 60 FPS+ on campaign map and in a 1v1, 20 units vs 20 units battle, default graphics preset set to “Ultra”]

• Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K 4.0 GHz
    • Video Card: (DirectX 11) AMD Fury X or Nvidia GTX 980 @1080P

Total War: WARHAMMER – Current Graphics Presets

This table details the current graphic settings for each ‘out-of-the-box’ preset currently under test for Total War: WARHAMMER.

Please note that these are: a) Different to previous games and operating on the latest TW engine, so can’t be compared across Total War games. b) Are subject to change before the game releases.

Source: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_WARHAMMER_Specs

Default Re: Hardware Queries & Advice

Quote Originally Posted by b2387
    You guys have been great, thanks. I am from England my budget was around £300 but I am going to get finance and looking at the below now:
    Gaming Armada Elite II AMD FX4300 Processor, 8Gb RAM, 2Tb Hard Drive, PC Gaming Desktop Base Unit With Nvidia 2Gb Graphics GTX960*
    That looks like it might come close- the CPU is a bit slow and in many games that wouldn't be terrible but Total War has an unusually high reliance on single core speeds where that CPU suffers a bit. I think some High settings would be attainable but probably you'd notice lots of little pauses and temporary freezes but depending on your tolerance if that is ok or not. The 960 card should be able to do most High settings if not all on lower resolutions. If you get all that for 300 quid that is a pretty good deal though- the video card alone is worth more than half that much. If you are spending closer to 350 before VAT I think you might be able to do a little better but not alot so if you just want to get it now its not terrible.

Whenever someone is buying a full system for one particular game I always advice to wait as long as possible because even 1.5 months from now you might be able to squeeze in a few better components for the same price and its not like buying now will get you the game any quicker.

Thank you

Libertus

b2387I also think it is OK for you.

Ichon, he is buying a prebuilt system; I am sure it is more than 300, most probably around 400 with bad power supply and bad case and cheapest mobo and ram available on the market. But, unless he has a friend to help him, it is hard to go on a very good route.

You're right it's a prebuilt new system for £600, could not find anything with good enough graphics card for cheaper. I don't have the technical knowledge or the time to build a rig I am afraid

Citizen

Blog Entries

My honest advice for anyone planning to buy a new system (or at least, a new graphic card) this year would be to hold it for a few months. The next generation of gpus is just around the corner and they it will be the first proper big jump forward in years, whereas the current generation is nothing but a rebrand of older cards.

Even if you don't plan of buying one of them, current cards will most likely go down in price significantly. Warhammer is a single player game and therefore your experience won't be affected if you wait for a bit (actually it will most likely be improved through bug fixes and new content), and the wait wouldn't be that long: while no dates are yet confirmed, the first mid-high tier gpus could hit the market as soon as this very summer.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; April 09, 2016 at 02:05 PM.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by b2387 View Post
    You're right it's a prebuilt new system for £600, could not find anything with good enough graphics card for cheaper. I don't have the technical knowledge or the time to build a rig I am afraid

Just buy a 3-400 pounds system with no video card (i5 - even Haswell- , 8gb ram, decent power supply). Then buy, a new or second hand video card around 250 pounds and put it in. Connecting a graphics card is very easy, just check that the system has a power supply with enough connections. Later, when you get a few more money buy a 250GB SSD and you are set for a long time.

I'm gonna be happy if the game runs smooth on medium.
    I only have a windows 10 x64 bit with 8gb RAM and GTX770 card.

I bet if i put a GTX970 it will run at high.
    For 'ultra' i'm gonna need at least a GTX980ti :/ (not gonna pay that much money)

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSilence View Post
    I'm gonna be happy if the game runs smooth on medium.
    I only have a windows 10 x64 bit with 8gb RAM and GTX770 card.

I bet if i put a GTX970 it will run at high.
    For 'ultra' i'm gonna need at least a GTX980ti :/ (not gonna pay that much money)
    You have a more than decent video card and there is just no point on buying a GTX970 now. Your 770 will hold perfectly fine until the next generation of gpus hit the market this summer.

I have played an entire campaign of Rome 2 with a 9 years old Radeon HD4870. Not only is a 770 much, much better than that, the graphics of Rome 2 and Warhammer are also technically not that different, so consider that if the game runs a lot worse, it would most likely be due to poor optimization than to hardware power issues.

Yeah, a gtx 770 is actually above the recommended specs for High settings so I wouldn't worry at all. I've played almost entire TW series on a Radeon 6870 and am just lucky to be able to 'borrow' a R9 390 right now from a friend who upgraded to a 980Ti but plans to build a new system for his younger brother as he upgrades a few more components- so I'll have to give this 390 up in about 1.5 months and go back to my 6870 though I am hoping Pascal cards launch in June from Nvidia and the new Polaris cards drop in July or August... I can wait a month or two since my original plan was to get Warhammer with a bundled deal with new card. I'm sure since AMD is partnering with CA that if the new cards have bundled games Warhammer will probably be one of those games.

For people who aren't confident in their tech skills to build a new computer themselves- first just watch a couple youtubes, it is actually very easy. If you still feel a bit unsure try to buy a barebones system which usually ships with a case, power supply, cpu, and mobo. You'll have to buy OS, RAM, GPU, and monitor plus keyboard/mouse. So long as you remember to ground yourself and don't install whist rubbing stocking feet on thick carpet there is very little that can go wrong with a barebones system with the 3 most important components chosen for you.

Lacking the time to build a new system... there is some merit to this because my first install I read the mobo manual 3-4 times and still didn't understand most of it. Even when you pretty much know what the manual is talking about there is usually alot of time spent choosing which components you want and on wire management. My main entertainment for about 2 weeks has been looking for a new monitor and deciding if I have the patience to wait for the new GPUs. The issue is that with Pascal and Polaris around the corner a large amount of people will be upgrading and selling their used GPUs often for cheap. I've seen half dozen gtx 770s for under $130 in my area in the last 2 weeks. If that price gets to around $100 in a couple months with the new Pascals I might just grab one and wait until holidays to make a serious upgrade. There might even be some 980s in the high $200s in a few months as there are already 970s and 390s going for under $250.

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    PC 60fps+ Specifications:

[Expected 60 FPS+ on campaign map and in a 1v1, 20 units vs 20 units battle, default graphics preset set to “Ultra”]

• Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K 4.0 GHz
    • Video Card: (DirectX 11) AMD Fury X or Nvidia GTX 980 @1080P
    Good morning all,

Thank you for posting this info HigoChumbo.

I am really interested in updating my Motherboard, CPU and RAM all at once in anticipation of this game's release.

Currently I am running;

i5-650 @ 3.20Ghz (It is a real under performer)
    8GB DDR2

I'm thinking of moving onto an i7 4790K 4Ghz with 16GB DDR3.
    It's still quite an expensive setup (circa £400). Do you have any recommendations on my ambitions or any ideas of where I can find it cheaper?

I am based in the UK.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Demon; April 11, 2016 at 03:20 AM.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    Good morning all,

Thank you for posting this info HigoChumbo.

I am really interested in updating my Motherboard, CPU and RAM all at once in anticipation of this game's release.

Currently I am running;

i5-650 @ 3.20Ghz (It is a real under performer)
    8GB DDR2

I'm thinking of moving onto an i7 4790K 4Ghz with 16GB DDR3.
    It's still quite an expensive setup (circa £400). Do you have any recommendations on my ambitions or any ideas of where I can find it cheaper?

I am based in the UK.

Thank you.
    Cheaper? In US. Or on second hand market. But I have not found good deals on i7 4790k as I am looking for one as well to move from my Haswell i5.

Now, you can go for a cheaper i5k but, considering DirectX 12 and Windows 10 and the slow move into using more cores (including in TW series with Warhammer) I would advice to go for an i7 as well. Now, look into Skylake - 6700k - (or KabyLake in the autumn) as well.
    Newer architecture with some new technologies there. Not much improvements ingame so far compared to Haswell (i7-4790k) but try to use the new mobos with ddr4 (again, not much ingame upgrade) as well. Your processor is old and system is on ddr2 but can still work until autumn while you gather more money. It all depends on your budget. Just remember that an non-k i5 + B95 mobo + some second hand DDR3 is less than half the price of a Skylake build i7k + z170 + ddr4 and you will get 80-90% of performance in most cases. Video card is most important and there you will see differences in gaming. Btw, what graphics are you using/plan to buy?

As for the GTX 770 talk, I am playing with one on very high with ultra troops Rome TW and about the same Attila TW. I am not rocking 60 fps all the time, but it is a strategy game, not a shooter. It is OK. I don't plan to upgrade the card until I move to higher resolution (1600p, 4k) and the 2gb vram wont be enough.

Hello!

I would like to ask if 64 bits technology that will be present in Warhammer would improve performance with FX8320 @4.5 GHz or I should move to Intel. I really want to enjoy this game because I am a total war fan.Sadly Attila has been the game with poor optimization for FX processors. Rome 2 runs fine at 45-60 FPS but Attila gets 18 FPS in massive battles.

What do you think guys? Also I am planning move to intel if my processors is not able to run this game but I have questions if Skylake is the option, because they use DDR4 Ram and I am not sure if MOBO's with DDR4 support will support new technologies for GPUs, for example or If I would be fine with Haswell with a 4790K and a Z-97 MOBO.

I am looking for your advices.

Thank you in advance.

edit: my GPU that is a STRIX GTX 970.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; April 11, 2016 at 09:09 PM.

To upgrade to new mobo and Skylake depends on when you think you will upgrade again. Games usually are quite late in adopting new technologies and even today the new core instructions in the newer Intel processors still aren't really being used so you will be really paying a premium for extra 10% performance with no guarantee there will be an more benefit than that unless you are certain you won't be upgrading for quite awhile. Even then we don't know how different the new architecture and instructions will be with Pascal and Skylake might end up being skipped over by most developers in favor of the newer stuff.

I'd say go with i5 because it still has 4 cores and will benefit from 64 bit- just not quite as much as i7 potentially while the price to performance is hugely better. Usually about 1/3 the price for only -10% performance so even if 64 bit i7 hyperthreading lives up to its full potential you are probably not going to see an extra +20% performance to match its price. The main difference is cache size and hyperthreading which for games so far at least hasn't made much difference.

Basically I think most people especially who are buying a system mostly for games will be better off spending more money towards the GPU than toward an i7 Skylake or newer. https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...41/#Conclusion

Most of the comparisons I have seen are similar to the above link- yes Skylake is a bit better but not enough to justify the extra money especially for most gamers. Haswell is a 64 bit instructions CPU- it just lacks hyperthreading and in the case of i7 the way I understand it that only makes 4 cores into 6 cores when most games haven't even been written able to use more than 2 cores to much benefit.

As for AMD CPU in Warhammer... since CA has partnered with AMD there might be a bit better use of AMD tech but I wouldn't count on that applying retroactively. The close launch dates between Polaris and Warhammer make me thing AMD would prefer to make Warhammer a showcase for the new tech and DX12.
    Last edited by Ichon; April 11, 2016 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    To upgrade to new mobo and Skylake depends on when you think you will upgrade again. Games usually are quite late in adopting new technologies and even today the new core instructions in the newer Intel processors still aren't really being used so you will be really paying a premium for extra 10% performance with no guarantee there will be an more benefit than that unless you are certain you won't be upgrading for quite awhile. Even then we don't know how different the new architecture and instructions will be with Pascal and Skylake might end up being skipped over by most developers in favor of the newer stuff.

I'd say go with i5 because it still has 4 cores and will benefit from 64 bit- just not quite as much as i7 potentially while the price to performance is hugely better. Usually about 1/3 the price for only -10% performance so even if 64 bit i7 hyperthreading lives up to its full potential you are probably not going to see an extra +20% performance to match its price. The main difference is cache size and hyperthreading which for games so far at least hasn't made much difference.

Basically I think most people especially who are buying a system mostly for games will be better off spending more money towards the GPU than toward an i7 Skylake or newer.

As for AMD CPU in Warhammer... since CA has partnered with AMD there might be a bit better use of AMD tech but I wouldn't count on that applying retroactively. The close launch dates between Polaris and Warhammer make me thing AMD would prefer to make Warhammer a showcase for the new tech and DX12.
    Thank you very much for your answer ...

I am with you about AMD and Warhammer .... it would be an opportunity to show us new GPU technology.

So ... for new CPU. You say would be better get a i5 4th gen right? maybe a i5 4790k would be great? I would like to make this update for this game and not think in more upgrades for some years (maybe 4 or 5) thats why I planning update with a i7 but you are right, are tooo expensives. So ... I do not know what I should we do. Some people told me if I change my FX 8320 for a i5 4790k I would not see an important difference in games ... that is why I do not choose a i5.

What do you think?

Libertus

If all you do is gaming, in general, you are fine on your processor. New Intel is faster, but not by so much in games. It depends on each game optimisation and last TW games were somehow poor on AMD processors, especially at launch.

As for ddr4, its impact in gaming are negligible compared to ddr3. That is the last reason to upgrade. It seems ram is already fast enough compared to the other components so that higher speed does not matter. It may in the future, but so far, for gaming, it is not the most important investment.

With your system you will be ok. Remember, badly optimised games are a poor reason to waste money. And CA does this a lot with its games. On the other hand you spend more, you will have somehow better results. Also to note that there is some AMD help in building this game.

New mobos bring good things to the table, including support for new technologies of connecting SSDs (m.2 for example), but, same as ddr4, will not impact your gaming performance at all.

In conclusion, moving to Intel will turn well in big battles where more processor power is needed, also in some day to day tasks in programs that use only one thread. But in most games and most of the time in TW, the gpu is the one that is used to the max and this is a trend that will continue in the industry despite all the talk with DirectX 12. Eventually you will have to move on from your FX proc but dont expect miracles in badly optimised games. Take your time, find a good upgrade path and dont be afraid that the AMD proc will let you down too much until then. Both 4790k and 6700k are great. Depending what you do on the computer 5820k on X99 platform could be better. Or the upcoming Zen (amd) and Kabylake (intel). Or just accept a strategy game does not need 60 fps and take a vacation with your significant other

posting a little late

Quote Originally Posted by Messiah360 View Post
    Some people told me if I change my FX 8320 for a i5 4790k I would not see an important difference in games ... that is why I do not choose a i5.

What do you think?

Yes. Most of the time you wont see a big improvement even with an i7. Despite the fact that in theory new Intel can get to about 40% bonus in single threaded work. But difference in games between i5 and i7 (usually none at all) is smaller than between FX and i5 (usually 10%).
    Last edited by Gicusan; April 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM.

4,5ghz is the most common OC for that CPU (FX8320) and in all the direct game benchmarks I've seen it still doesn't match an i5 4690K at stock. It comes within 20% and for many games that is good enough. For TW which due to the nature of its engine having to process so many things simultaneously even compared to other games single core performance has always been the most important and in that regard OC i5 4690K is likely to be 30% faster... to me that is enough of a performance boost to justify a relatively low cost upgrade but I think the standard advice is usually not to upgrade until there is a 50% performance difference because so little of usage time are you actually going to be pushing to the max edge of performance. However for gamers I think it is a bit different but it comes down to many subjective and individual factors. Personally if I were in your situation I'd wait for the new gen of tech launching later this year and early next year. With a GTX 970 it would only be in some of the largest battles that you'd likely see throttling from the CPU and you'd be able to play definitely mostly on High with maybe some Ultra settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Gicusan View Post
    If all you do is gaming, in general, you are fine on your processor. New Intel is faster, but not by so much in games. It depends on each game optimisation and last TW games were somehow poor on AMD processors, especially at launch.

As for ddr4, its impact in gaming are negligible compared to ddr3. That is the last reason to upgrade. It seems ram is already fast enough compared to the other components so that higher speed does not matter. It may in the future, but so far, for gaming, it is not the most important investment.

With your system you will be ok. Remember, badly optimised games are a poor reason to waste money. And CA does this a lot with its games. On the other hand you spend more, you will have somehow better results. Also to note that there is some AMD help in building this game.

New mobos bring good things to the table, including support for new technologies of connecting SSDs (m.2 for example), but, same as ddr4, will not impact your gaming performance at all.

In conclusion, moving to Intel will turn well in big battles where more processor power is needed, also in some day to day tasks in programs that use only one thread. But in most games and most of the time in TW, the gpu is the one that is used to the max and this is a trend that will continue in the industry despite all the talk with DirectX 12. Eventually you will have to move on from your FX proc but dont expect miracles in badly optimised games. Take your time, find a good upgrade path and dont be afraid that the AMD proc will let you down too much until then. Both 4790k and 6700k are great. Depending what you do on the computer 5820k on X99 platform could be better. Or the upcoming Zen (amd) and Kabylake (intel). Or just accept a strategy game does not need 60 fps and take a vacation with your significant other

posting a little late

Yes. Most of the time you wont see a big improvement even with an i7. Despite the fact that in theory new Intel can get to about 40% bonus in single threaded work. But difference in games between i5 and i7 (usually none at all) is smaller than between FX and i5 (usually 10%).
    Thank you very much ... your post make me feel better and that my FX 8320 would be able to run this game that I already preorder (lol)

I am agree with you, my Rome II runs really good at 35~60 FPS, at launch day the game was not optimized but with the patches I get that nice FPS and yes, is not necessary run at 60 FPS for strategy games. The worst was Attila because in massive battles I get 15-18 FPS at Ultra with shadows in Performance. In campaign map I get 10 FPS at Maximum settings because my PC can't handle that Extreme Shadows. I realized the problem is my CPU because I get the same FPS despite of I lower the resolution.

So .. I hope CA and AMD are working to for CPU performance and I hope my FX can handle this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    4,5ghz is the most common OC for that CPU (FX8320) and in all the direct game benchmarks I've seen it still doesn't match an i5 4690K at stock. It comes within 20% and for many games that is good enough. For TW which due to the nature of its engine having to process so many things simultaneously even compared to other games single core performance has always been the most important and in that regard OC i5 4690K is likely to be 30% faster... to me that is enough of a performance boost to justify a relatively low cost upgrade but I think the standard advice is usually not to upgrade until there is a 50% performance difference because so little of usage time are you actually going to be pushing to the max edge of performance. However for gamers I think it is a bit different but it comes down to many subjective and individual factors. Personally if I were in your situation I'd wait for the new gen of tech launching later this year and early next year. With a GTX 970 it would only be in some of the largest battles that you'd likely see throttling from the CPU and you'd be able to play definitely mostly on High with maybe some Ultra settings.
    Thanks for your answer. Yes, that is the answer that I got in other forums about my processor. For me get 20% more of performance not make a sense and get a i7 its an expensive upgrade. I will follow your advice and wait for 2 things:

1. See how Warhammer runs in my FX 8320 at 4.5 GHz
    2. I will wait to see the new AMD and Intel CPU and move forward, if is necessary, to the brand that offer better performance in comparison with my FX. I feel that this would be wise.

Thanks for answer my questions and your time!

Tiro

Default warhammer total war system requirements

Hi Guys

I got a question, or better, a clarification to ask you all.

I ve seen that the warhammer total war system requirements to get a good experience with the game are the following:

Windows 7/8.1/10 64Bit
    Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz
    8 GB RAM
    Graphic: (DirectX 11) AMD Radeon R9 270X 2048MB / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2048MB @ 1080p
    DirectX: Version 11
    Storage: 35 GB available space

and my computer is:

Asus G11CB;
    Intel, Core i7, 3,40 GHz, 64 bit;
    RAM:16 GB;
    Hard Disk: 1000 GB,
    GRAPHIC:Nvidia, GeForce GTX 950, 2048 MB;
    Windows 10, Home, Bit S.O. : 64 ,

Philips MONITOR LED/OLED MODEL: 273V5LHSB; Size:27’’

So my questions...

as it looks all ok in order to enjoy it properly... shall I expect anyway to decrease the graphic details during battles? Will the game lag and freeze anyway ?

I ask that cuz i fear they confirm lower requirements before selling the game so they can sell more and more...

Any suggestion ?

Thanks

Tiro

Up

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast