Thread: Currently living in South Korea, if you have questions, ask them!

Massive_attack's Avatar Campidoctor
    Citizen

Default Currently living in South Korea, if you have questions, ask them!

Not sure whats worth sharing from my present circumstances, so here is the brass tax:

Arrived in Seoul via Asiana Airlines from Canada Early March (maybe even just before) for a teaching english Job.
    Took a flight to Busan via Air Busan, got a drive to Changwon from the airport.
    Worked in changwon for all of march.
    Switched schools because the Changwon school was like TWC's political mudpit except the topics were always in Korean, always about me, and rarely ended positively.
    Now working in Pyeongtaek near Seoul and Incheon. New school has been groovy so far.

TL;DR: I experienced/am experiencing the country and two out of the way cities in it. Figured someone might be curious about all that.

Ask questions, Im unsure what experiences would interest people.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Default Re: Currently living in South Korea, if you have questions, ask them!

*brass tacks

But that sounds interesting. How did you get into English teaching, was it difficult or pretty easy? I'm thinking of doing the same, I have some experience but no qualifications. And what was the problem in Changwon? Racism (assuming you are white)? Is Seoul considerably different to the rest of Korea (I know one or two people who have been there and know a little about the city, but if its anything like the UK then Seoul is nothing like the rest of the country and if that is true, I know almost nothing about small-town South Korea - is it a poor country, or is it quite well developed even in rural areas?).
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

nce_wht_guy's Avatar Vicarius

Pyeongtaek was a really nice city from what I remember. I was stationed in Gunsan in North Jeolla province all of last year. Have you gotten used to the food? Have you made it down to Jeju yet? What do you think of the women?
    Support Russia!

How did you learn the korean language? Did you follow a training there?

Ukiah's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    Is Seoul considerably different to the rest of Korea (I know one or two people who have been there and know a little about the city,
    Seoul

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    but if its anything like the UK then Seoul is nothing like the rest of the country and if that is true, I know almost nothing about small-town South Korea - is it a poor country, or is it quite well developed even in rural areas?).
    Pyeongtaek

A Korean rural area

Quote Originally Posted by nce_wht_guy View Post
    What do you think of the women?

Last edited by Ukiah; April 10, 2017 at 07:49 AM.

Ukiah's Avatar Decanus

In case a war turns violent, I'll post more videos of peacetime South Korea before the country starts to look very different:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/135988545

Last edited by Ukiah; April 17, 2017 at 04:19 AM.

Ukiah's Avatar Decanus

Last edited by Ukiah; April 17, 2017 at 04:00 AM.

Ukiah's Avatar Decanus

South Korean POP Culture

This song was popular during the 1990s. (The girl in the video has no relation to the band).
    The lyrics make it seem like the singer is longing for a lost love one. When translated, the lyrics mostly go "I hear her voice" over and over again. And then, "even though I try not for the life of me to hear it." But the songwriter explained that he was actually expressing his desire to turn a deaf ear to the criticism to the bands' appearance. South Korea at this time was rather conservative.

The song below is a cover of an original that was released in 1994. The singers of the original were a two-man group called Deux. One of the singers in this group was a Korean from the US. This was a time when many Korean-Americans became popular singers in South Korea. An international school in South Korea even banned its students from becoming singers lest they abandon their studies and because the Korean music industry was beginning to scout too much of the school's students. Many younger generation Koreans followed the fashion and the dancing styles of the Korean-Americans.

The singer in the video below is Seo Yeon. Her singing career began at a time when a few of the Korean singers were spreading their popularity overseas. The first Korean pop singer to become a major success overseas is a two-man group called CLON. They became popular in Taiwan at a time when South Korea had been unpopular ever since it opened up relations with mainland China. Another Korean singer, Boa, became a success in Japan. She appeared with the South Korean president and the Japanese prime minister when the two countries agreed on free-visa travel. Seo Yeon was quite similar to Boa in style, and it was presumed that the two would become competitors. However, Seo Yeon disappeared from television soon after.

More and more girl group singers appeared. Starting in the 2000s, Korean girl groups became popular throughout East Asia. There's a current hiatus in popularity in China after South Korea agreed to deploy THAAD, which is a big concern to the Chinese. My Chinese friends tell me that it's temporary, like how the Chinese were at Japan.

Last edited by Ukiah; April 23, 2017 at 12:12 PM.

Ukiah's Avatar Decanus

Ukiah's Avatar Decanus

Ukiah's Avatar Decanus