Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Siege of DragonSpoear- Baldurs Gate and how not to write a good game...

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Siege of DragonSpoear- Baldurs Gate and how not to write a good game...

Ok, I wasn`t really sure where to post this, but I figured that this was a political issue, so I post here.

This is about a game, actually an add-on expansion to Baldur`s gate. Baldur`s gate is a game I first played when quite young, loved it for it`s raw maturity, witty storylines and fascinating characters, all with their arcs. I played it again a few years later and found more stuff to love.

Then many years later, played it with my daughter- twice. She loved it too.

Then they made Siege of Dragonspear expansion by a new developer, Beamdog, written by a social justice warrior and feminist, Amber something or other. in fact I think the whole group are sjws.

They perverted and ruined everything in the game. They didn`t bring on interesting characters in a subtle and smart way, oh no, you get a trans-gender shoved in your face telling he`s a transgender. Known characters completely cahnge personality to call you a racist or berate you for being male (I`m black and don`t appreciate these idiots talking for me) - the game is filled with sjw and feminist political bs more than I`ve ever seen anywhere. They destroyed the game with the awful attempt-to-brain-wash-the-masses writing.

The game completely breaks the 4th wall with its agenda and takes you far away from immersion in a completely different world.

I was always afraid the madness would start to ruin things. This is just a game, beware it becomes mainstream, people.

Just check Steam or GOG or Utube. There`s a huge backlash against this rot.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Humble Warrior; April 06, 2016 at 12:13 PM.

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: Siege of DragonSpoear- Baldurs Gate and how not to write a good game...

This isn't a political issue. If you think it's part of an ongoing trend and have evidence that it's so, then the Political Academy might be appropriate, but this doesn't really have much of an important impact on current affairs.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Siege of DragonSpoear- Baldurs Gate and how not to write a good game...

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

StarDreamer's Avatar Domesticus

Okay, so this was brought up in the PC victim topic. And this is political in a way as it is politics seeping into other mediums. It is a discussion about propaganda. I don't appreciate propaganda in my games.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
    https://www.politicalcompass.org/ana...2.38&soc=-3.44 <-- "Dangerous far right bigot!" -SJWs

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

I think this thread should be merged with the Politically correct thread.

As a note, thanks for the warning; I was thinking to get Siege of Dragonspear. Now I won't.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Apparently this game has been criticized by actual transgender people as well:
    The way your character converses with Mizhena is almost totally different than it is for everyone else in the game. You can be rude, mean, funny, or just throw a witty retort or remark to almost everyone in the game over the smallest thing, but even an evil blackguard who murders everyone in sight can only say "What a lovely name, tell me more", "How interesting" or "Good day to you". I understand that it would be politically incorrect to be rude or insult a transgender character for being trans, but to me all that does is highlight that being trans is different. The trans character is not on the same level as every other character, who can 'take' abuse from you. The trans character has to be protected from this because they're different. The way the trans character is implemented doesn't make me feel like "I'm just like everyone else" as I imagine the writer intended, it just makes me feel more like a freak or novelty. It's unrealistic.
    As a writer and a trans person, it was slightly weird to have the character mention her sex background right away. Many people don't like the inclusion of a trans person, but many wouldn't mind if the inclusion were better done.

Easiest thing to do would be to bury the offending 2 lines for a CHARNAME to find after gaining the trust of the character _and_ is seen positively by her in that process. That is, does a small quest where the outcome chosen is positive for her. That would be followed by CHARNAME being given the option of asking her more about her life and background. There would also be more background topics than her name and her sex history. Perhaps where she lived or life in armies or life as a cleric of Tempus.
    Last edited by Enros; April 06, 2016 at 12:51 PM.

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Hardly Political.

Moved to Other Games.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Didn't expect anything else from Bioware. Feminazi/PC agenda going on full throttle, Disney/EA etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Then they made Siege of Dragonspear expansion by a new developer, Beamdog, written by a social justice warrior and feminist, Amber something or other. in fact I think the whole group are sjws.

They perverted and ruined everything in the game. They didn`t bring on interesting characters in a subtle and smart way, oh no, you get a trans-gender shoved in your face telling he`s a transgender.
    (first minute)

oh the humanity, a transgender NPC in a fantasy game standing by the corner with a subtle storyline who doesn't even say 'transgender' once

0/10 worst game of the year all the years

SJWs have ruined the gaming industry

i think that maybe what SCWs are getting butthurt about is that it's a CLERIC that's a transgender, and oh shiggidity diggidity, Beamdog just messed up and went and mixed holiness with transgender, and the right is so pissed for the sacrilege

the fourth wall has been penetrated by some transgenderism degeneracy!

*a fricking halfling and dwarf walks by*
    Last edited by snuggans; April 06, 2016 at 05:38 PM.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

While we're on the topic of degenerate role playing my male Druid regularly skin changes into a mare so he can get sodomized by stallions.

You know, because that's what Loki would do.

The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Doesn't that make him a furry or something?

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

If I have sex with a Dryad does that make me a Dendrophile?
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

I ed a Dryad once, a female, in a video game.

DnD Dryad or Witcher Dryad. This is important gastovski.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Ok, I wasn`t really sure where to post this, but I figured that this was a political issue, so I post here.

This is about a game, actually an add-on expansion to Baldur`s gate. Baldur`s gate is a game I first played when quite young, loved it for it`s raw maturity, witty storylines and fascinating characters, all with their arcs. I played it again a few years later and found more stuff to love.

Then many years later, played it with my daughter- twice. She loved it too.

They perverted and ruined everything in the game. They didn`t bring on interesting characters in a subtle and smart way, oh no, you get a trans-gender shoved in your face telling he`s a transgender. Known characters completely cahnge personality to call you a racist or berate you for being male (I`m black and don`t appreciate these idiots talking for me) - the game is filled with sjw and feminist political bs more than I`ve ever seen anywhere. They destroyed the game with the awful attempt-to-brain-wash-the-masses writing.

The game completely breaks the 4th wall with its agenda and takes you far away from immersion in a completely different world.

I was always afraid the madness would start to ruin things. This is just a game, beware it becomes mainstream, people.

Just check Steam or GOG or Utube. There`s a huge backlash against this rot.

Thoughts?

Agreed 100%
    Did have a bit of interest in this beforehand but now it has been squashed completely. Just looking at the pic of said SJW was enough to make me sick.

The writer she doesn't even attempt to hide her agenda, she openly admitted it and said she is going to push it in every work she does.

And of course if you don't like it you are "Sexist, racist, misogynist, yada yada yada yada..."

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Isn't this the same issue of "free speech" that those gamergate whackos push for? Doesn't work in the other direction, does it.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    Isn't this the same issue of "free speech" that those gamergate whackos push for? Doesn't work in the other direction, does it.
    I have to agree; It sounds rubbish to me so I won't buy it. I don't know all the ins and outs of gamergate, but is the distinction that no one is saying the game shouldn't exist? If they say that then they are being hypocritical. It is fair though to criticise or even ridicule if it is warranted.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Thanks for the links guys and apologises for sticking this in the wrong place.

Apparently the CEo is now trying to limit the damage. Not enough in my view, the game needs a complete re-write and by a decent writer who does not allow their personal sjw\feminist views to deform a story or game.

i've read more reactions to this and it's hilarious and kinda frightening that some SCWs are raging over not being able to kill the transgender NPC "AND I CANT EVEN KILL THE HNNNNNGH *drips saliva and froths*"

kinda makes you worry, how close are these people to murdering transgenders in real life? when they're not bullying them, that is. mental health is a serious problem in this country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast