Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Historia Quod Britonum

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Historia Quod Britonum

Great updates! I especially like the moment when Kosanov realises that something is wrong behind him, because there are no longer arrows coming from behind him. The contrast between Danilo's overconfidence and Kosanov's experience and wisdom is well done. Sergey seems to have coped well with suddenly being given command, but will his hate and desire for revenge cause him to make foolish decisions?

Quorum Praeteritum XXXIII
    Early Summer, 1108 AD

The sun was already beginning to fall, a portion of it having already fell below the horizon. Prince Danilo watched as the sun slowly vanished, in a moment of silent contemplation. Still in his full armor, Danilo sat with a blanket of fur draped over him to protect him from the cold.

The idea of fleeing the battle and returning to Fyvgorod had already entered his mind. By now, it was likely that Kosanov had already orchestrated his plan, and Danilo had lost far to many men to be of any help. Over three fourths of his men were dead, and the few that still remained alive were disgruntled.

His plot had ended in a bloodbath, and Danilo hadn't even been able to keep the Pagans' calvary distracted. The Pagans had outsmarted him, and for once he had accepted that. Perhaps Kosanov was right.

Guilt ate away at Danilo, both for the tactical blunder he had made, and for the men he had left so that he could survive. Added on to the fact that Danilo hadn't been willing to honourably face Ortaslava, his men had lost nearly all respect they had for him.

Yet, he couldn't just sit there, he had to do something. The Prince stood and began to walk towards his men, the cold air of the night already coming upon them. As he stopped and stood in front of what amounted to around thirty men, he sighed, able to see his breath as he did.

"We'll march out in the morning. If Kosanov and his men are alive, we need to find them, and if they are not, then we'll go to Anadrov, and gather the Christian soldiers that he has to come and fight the Pagans." he said, causing several of his men to mumble amongst themselves.

Then one of his men, one that Danilo knew to be well respected amongst the rest of his men, stood and glared at the Prince. "After what happened today, you expect us to go out and continue to fight for your senseless zealotry? You wouldn't even fight Ortaslava man-to-man, you lead us into a trap, and you left many of us to die so that you could flee the battle. There are even rumors that you killed one of your own men. So no, we'll go where we want, and we'll do what we want. You, however, can feel free to leave."

Danilo looked around at his men. None seemed to be particularly interested in fighting for him either. "Your name is?"

The soldier snarled at the question. While Danilo had an idea of what the soldier's name was, his intent was to belittle the soldier. "It's Aleyslav Dosanovich."

The Prince nodded, and set his hand near the hilt of his sword. "Tomorrow, we will march. You have no choice in the matter. I would advise you to remember that you're sworn to me."

Ayeslav chuckled. "And I would advise you to remember that you told Ortaslava that you'd fight him, but apparently you don't hold your promises in high regard. So why should we hold our promises to you in high regard?"

Pausing for a second, Danilo remembered what Kosanov had said to him before. The old Soldier had been right, again. Now he could see why his Father respected Kosanov. "Perhaps you are right." he said, suprising Ayeslav and the other troops. None of them had expected the prideful Prince to admit his failure.

"Then what shall we do about it?" asked Ayeslav.

"We'll go to Anadrov, and we'll form a plan there."

With a nod, Ayeslav acknowledged Danilo's plan, and sat back down. Danilo turned and chuckled. Maybe this battle wasn't all that Kosanov was right about.

An intriguing update, it sounds like Danilo might be learning from his mistakes. But, now that he feels guilt and his men are dead, disgruntled or demoralised, I wonder if Danilo will survive.

Great update! I wonder if the guilt Danilo feels for sacrificing his men will have an effect on him or change his future dicisions. Like Alwyn, I wonder if he survives.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

Those are great updates, Rabbit! The descriptions of the battle are excellent. Like everyone else, I wonder if this is a real change in Danilo, or just the temporary effect of feeling guilty - and, of course, I wonder what will happen next!

Thanks for the support guys! And also, thanks for being patient with me. I know I haven't exactly been very active over the past month or so, but I promise to fix that! Also, if you're wondering why this posts are in spoilers, you'll know why by either tomorrow or Monday. As for the story, we'll have to see what happens...

Quorum Praeteritum XXXIV
    Early Summer, 1108 AD

As soon as Sergey stepped inside, he could smell death. Several healers were moving about inside the tent of Kosanov Alesnarovich, infection having already have begun to set in on his wounded head. A few of the Healers glanced up at the Russian as he entered, only to quickly return to their work.

"You summoned me?"

Straining as he sat up, Kosanov gave Sergey a nod. "Indeed. There is something I need to inform you of."

A nearby healer reached to help Kosanov sit up, but the old Russian only responded with a glare, and the healer backed away. Now fully upright, Kosanov began to speak again. "Despite our Prince Danilo's orders at Anadrov, I ordered Igor Lalli and his men to trail behind us, in case we were to need aid. As should be apparent, we now need that aid."

"Alright, I can send out riders to find Igor and his men. If I may ask though, how come you did not summon the Count's men in the battle yesterday? Perhaps we could have won the battle then and there." asked Sergey.

With a sigh, Kosanov gave a simple answer. "Because I'm too loyal."

Sergey raised an eyebrow at this response, prompting a more lengthy answer, which Kosanov gave him. "Danilo is quick to anger, and I knew that if he learned of what I had done there would be consequences. I was also far too confident in his plan. I should've done what I thought was right, not risk the lives of hundreds to satisfy a boy."

This kinda've open admittance stunned Sergey for a moment, but he was able to quickly summon up with a response, seeing that Kosanov was angry with himself for what he had done. "Then I will send out riders to summon Igor, and we can do things right this time."

The old Russian smiled and nodded. "I hope so."
    Last edited by Rabbit55821; October 21, 2016 at 05:56 PM.

Being too loyal, was that even possible back than Will Kosanov think twice before doing something like that in the future? At least he knows his mistake. Looking forward to reading more!

Quote Originally Posted by theSilentKiller View Post
    Being too loyal, was that even possible back than Will Kosanov think twice before doing something like that in the future? At least he knows his mistake. Looking forward to reading more!
    Well, that depends on the competence of your leader. Sometimes independence and recklessness wins the day This battle is definitely going to change the views of some of the characters, but we'll learn just how much later!

Also, I apologize for not being very consistent or recurring with the updates, as I've been distracted by other matters lately, but that'll change soon

I hope that Igor's men will arrive in time!

Here's your answer Alwyn I have several posts written already, and am in the process of writing even more, so I plan to get the AAR back on track, with this post being the beginning of that. Thank you guys for being patient with me

As for the word Druzhinniki which is mentioned in this chapter, the word is the plural form of "Druzhinnik", which refers to a member of a Druzhina (here's a Wikipedia link), which was the rentinue of a Russian ruler. A Druzhinnik is basically the equivalent of the Western Knight.

Enjoy guys!

Quorum Praeteritum XXXIV
    Early Summer, 1108 AD

"Scouts returning!" came a voice, echoing throughout the camp.

Sergey Pavlovich stood and seized his sheath, which laid beside him from where he had been sitting outside Kosanov's tent. He then moved to the entrance of the camp, and saw the riders he had sent out returning, but only with what amounted to about two dozen men.

It was a ghastly sight for Sergey, to see so few men when he had been expecting nearly two hundred. He did not even recognize the man whom he presumed to be in charge of the group, quickly identifiable by the chainmail he wore as compared to his soldiers, who mostly wore leather.

"Where's the rest of the men?" asked Sergey as the scouts began to dismount. One of the Scouts gestured to the commander of the men to give an explanation, and the man began to speak.

"I am Iaslav Vasiliev, one of Igor's four Druzhinniki. We are all that remained to fight."

"But...where are the others? Why are they not here to fight?" inquired Sergey, slightly baffled, but also frightened.

Iaslav sighed, "Igor made a deal with the Karelians, and agreed to return to Anadrov. They far outnumbered us, and Igor didn't feel the Prince to be worth sacrificing himself for. Personally, I don't either, but I feel the King to be worth fighting for."

"That's...that's most unfortunate. We could have used those men. Well, I suppose we'll have to make due with what we have. Have your man go ahead and join the camp, but I want you to come with me." said Sergey.

Iaslav nodded and then turned to his troops, conveying Sergey's orders to them. The two men then walked to Kosanov's tent, where Sergey introduced Iaslav, who then told his tale. As the Druzhinnik explained what had happened, Kosanov's face grew long.

As he finished, Iaslav waited for a moment, looking at the old warrior. "I suppose we have no choice," he finally said, after what seemed like hours of silence, "Gather the men, Sergey, and tell them we ride to Anadrov tomorrow."

Quorum Praeteritum XXXVI
    Early Summer, 1108 AD

Prince Danilo and his Druzhina await the approaching army...

The Prince watched as his outrider returned on horseback from the front of the approaching column. "Who approaches?" Danilo asked of the scout.

"The Boyar Igor Lalli, my lord." heralded the scout, as he returned to his place among Danilo’s formation of Druzhinniki.

Situated in the saddle of his armored steed, the Prince Danilo Rurikovich watched as Boyar Igor approached at the head of what amounted to at least a hundred men, which, despite their supreme numbers, did not appear to be quite as superior as the Boyar might have hoped when compared to Danilo's number of merely twenty, as Danilo and his Druzhinniki were, for the most part, fully armored and all atop steeds of their own.

"It would appear he is attempting to make a show of force." remarked Danilo to the rider next to him.

"Indeed, sire." answered Ayeslav, who had now become quite loyal to Danilo, or had at least been attempting to put up such as facade. He was still not entirely confident in his Prince, but he did not seek to reveal his true thoughts in fear of the Prince's distrust, or rather, his vengeance.

Danilo watched the approach of Igor and his army, and as the army came closer he noticed that the Boyar had purposefully caused his men to spread out, as to appear more than number.
    When the army came to a halt, Igor rode forth towards Danilo, with several of his horsemen following alongside him, only a few of them wearing chainmail.

"Prince, I suspect that you have to come to request the safety of my town and it's soldiers." spat Igor, with as much contempt as he could muster, which wasn't much. It was obvious that he feared the Prince and his power, even if he was attempting to establish himself in a position superior to Danilo.

"Yes, I have come for safe haven, but I make no request on the matter."

Boyar Igor glanced to the men around him, as if to reassure himself, before glaring at Danilo. “Perhaps you should have more respect, Prince, for without me you have no shelter.”

“You call me Prince, but I do not think you understand what that word means. Let me explain it to you; the title of Prince means that I am the heir to the Kingdom my Father built, it means that I am the second most important man in the Kingdom, it means that I am lord and master over you, and I bare with me the full authority of the Kingship. To declare war upon me, is to declare war upon the King. Is it your intent to declare war upon the King?”

The stern and condescending words spoken by Prince left Igor stammering, his attempted illusion of superiority having fallen apart, as Danilo had known it would, for the Boyar was a coward, even if he portrayed himself as otherwise. “N...No, my Prince, that was my intent…”

“Good. Then open your gates, and do not attempt to place yourself above me again.”

“As you command, my lord.” answered Igor, looking down in shame. He was both disappointed in himself, and bitter with the Prince. In an odd, almost childish way, he had contempt for the Prince, who had disrespected him in the past, but also desperately yearned for his respect.

As the Boyar returned to the front of his army, Danilo turned to Ayeslav to judge his response, but the Druzhinnik held a mostly blank gaze. “Well, did I handle that appropriately?” asked Danilo, doubting himself.

“I would say so, my Prince. It is obvious that he holds little respect for you, but I do not think him one brave enough to act on any feelings he has for you.” responded Ayeslav, echoing what the Prince already thought.

“Good, I thought as much.”

“I would forewarn you though,” continued Ayeslav, “that once he is among more of his own loyal soldiers, he may become much more confident in himself. Be careful, as this is most obviously a volatile circumstance, and we do still need him, as he has rudely pointed out.”

“Thank you, I’ll be sure to heed your advice.” answered Danilo.

After a moment of contemplation, the Prince gave the order for his Druzhinniki to follow Igor and his army back to Anadrov. As both formations approached the town, Danilo began to plan for the future. The Battle was not over yet.
    Last edited by Rabbit55821; October 27, 2016 at 02:16 PM.

I'm intrigued by the way that Prince Danilo and the Boyar Igo react to each other, and the fact that Danilo consulted Ayeslav.

Quorum Praeteritum XXXVII
    Early Summer, 1108 AD

As the door opened, the Prince Danilo looked up to see who had opened it, and saw one of his Druzhinnik entering. "My Prince, Kosanov and his men have arrived."

Nearly as soon as the sentence was finished, Danilo leapt to his feet and rushed out of the door without a single word said, leaving both his Druzhina and the Monk he had been speaking with confused. As Danilo raced towards the stable dressed in his tunic and wool coat, several onlookers were also left baffled upon sight of the Prince.

Mounting himself upon his horse, he galloped at full speed towards the gate. He was desperate to see Kosanov, and was glad that help had finally arrived. Danilo was relieved his friend was still alive and now with Kosanov and his men, Danilo wouldn't feel so much as a hostage within Anadrov.

Approaching the gate of the town, Ayeslav stepped out to speak with Danilo. "My Prince, at least wait and let us accompany you."

Driven by an almost primal urge to see his friend, Danilo ignored Ayeslav and instead turned to the other soldiers. "Open the gate!" he shouted.

"Dani---"

"Open it!"

Ayeslav looked down and sighed as the gate began to open, and Danilo drove his horse forward. Yet as the Prince looked upon the army in front of him, a horrifying realisation hit him, as he saw that Kosanov and his men who had once numbered in the many hundreds, was now very few compared to what they had once been.

Danilo slowed his horse as he approached the army ahead of him, and as he neared he realized that he did not recognise the man at the front of the formation, if one was kind enough to call it such. "Where is Kosanov?" demanded Danilo, as soon as he was close enough for the man to hear him.

The Prince came to a halt as the man, obviously a Druzhinnik, gestured to the horse beside him, upon which a dead man was being carried.

Sergey lifted his heavy head to face Danilo. "Kosanov is dead, my Prince." he said, as if admitting a terrible defeat.

Danilo felt as if someone had crushed his heart. He had heard the words, but his mind was trying to deny them, searching for some hope to hold onto. Danilo was furious and heartbroken trying to find some hope he asked, his voice barely above a whisper, “Are you sure?”

The look on the Druzhinnik’s face told him the truth, even before the man nodded and spoke. “Yes, my Prince.”

In truth, there was no reason for Danilo to question what he had been told, but he wanted to latch on to his mind’s fiction, however brief. Even if only faintly, he had known Kosanov since the day he was born, as the old warrior had always stayed close to Yevstafii, having served him even when Yevstafii was a member of the Varangian Guard. His mind finally admitting defeat and accepting the truth, Danilo spoke barely above a whisper, “How....how did he die?"

Sergey knew to chose his next words carefully, as he had seen Princes and Lords strike down messengers in a fit of rage for less, and through his relationship with Kosanov he knew the old warrior was like a Father to the young Prince and had been like a brother to the King. Lowering his head, Sergey began to speak, “My Prince, Kosanov was dealt a heavy blow fighting the Pagans in the valley, where we were outflanked by their horseman. After we discovered that Igor was not present to reinforce us, we set forth back to Anadrov. On our way, however, we were...we were ambushed. He tried to lead us away from the ambush, but when it became apparent that we couldn’t escape, Kosanov charged into their horde determined to kill as many of them as he could so that we survived to find and aid you. As terrible as his death is, it was an honorable and noble death he died, bold and fearless in service to his Prince.”

Danilo struggled to keep his composure, the only thing allowing him to do that was while listening to the Druzhinnik’s words he remembered the words Kosanov had said to him many times; “I love you as if you were my own son Danilo, always remember you are the Prince of Beloozero and future King, now act like it!”

Danilo determined that he would mourn his friend later, for now he had to see to it his death was not in vain. "What do you mean when you say that Igor was not present to reinforce you?" Danilo inquired, his voice becoming stern.

"Kosanov had made plans with Igor, and told him to trail our army in case we had need of support. When we sent out scouts to gather Igor's men, however, we found only one of his Druzhinnik, and around two dozen men.".

This statement startled him, but the Prince kept his tone and demeanor to not betray how much he knew or did not know of this plan, "Is that Druzhinnik still alive?"

The Prince’s tone and reaction to his words surprised Sergey. He turned and gestured to Iaslav, who wasn't very far from him, and then returned his gaze to Danilo.

The Prince took a moment to study the man in front of him, observing his face. The man's expression was a cold, and seemingly emotionless one, but his somber eyes revealed that to only be a facade. Danilo could tell that, for whatever reason, this man had been deeply struck by Kosanov's death.

"Yes, Sergey?" asked the approaching Druzhinnik.

"Tell the Prince what happened, Iaslav." responded Sergey. The Prince was somewhat relieved the two men had said each other's names, so he would not to ask what they were, which was somewhat of a shameful thing to have to ask a man of such stature, but it had been a long and tiresome few days, with only the last three having awarded Danilo with any rest..

Iaslav bowed his head and turned to the Prince. "My Prince as you may know, Kosanov convinced Boyar Igor to follow you with his army at a considerable distance, so as to reinforce you in battle if needed. The Karelians, however, had discovered us, and bribed Igor in to leaving. As would be expected, this caused strife among the men, however I was the only one of his Druzhinniki to stay, with about two dozen men. The Pagans tried to attack us, but we managed to elude them until Kosanov's scouts found us the next morning."

Danilo let out a deep breath trying to control the rage he could feel building inside him as he took in all the information, attempting to keep himself level-headed. One thought kept returning to his head; if Igor had not taken the bribe, it was very possible that Kosanov would still be alive. "Were you particularly outnumbered?" asked Danilo, trying to find some fact that would control his rage even a little bit.

Iaslav looked down. "No, my Prince, with effort we could have beaten them back. Most of the Karelian army was still trailing Kosanov."

The Prince began to respond, but decided against it. He turned his horse away and looked upon Anadrov, a moment of what seemed like clarity coming upon his mind. He had now decided what he had to do. "Follow me, and be prepared for a fight." he said.

As Danilo galloped forth towards the town, Iaslav and Sergey both looked at each other with an expression of confusion, but decided it was best to follow him. In truth, they both knew what was soon to come, but they hadn't expected it. It was obvious the Prince had changed much since they last saw him, but it scared them to think of how he may have changed. Had he become an honorable man, or a wrothful one?

When the Prince approached the gates, he took notice that they had already been closed. Je took it as a slight, but perhaps he was just being paranoid. Upon his order, the gates began to open, and he turned to Sergey. "Give me his bearded axe." he said, his mind having turned from anger to vengeful calculation.

Sergey nodded and commanded one of his men to remove the axe from where he had lashed to the horse carrying Kosonav’s body. It was at this moment that Danilo noticed that Kosanov's Iron-handled axe hung from Sergey's side. As Kosanov's large axe was handed to Danilo, he continued his gallop in to Anadrov. As soon as he passed the town's wooden palisade, he saw a large crowd of men circled around the entrance. Even Igor himself stood in solemn watch as the army entered the town, his face turning to ash as he saw Iaslav enter.

After dismounting from his horse, the Prince seized the reins of the horse that carried Kosanov's corpse, and slung the deceased old warrior's axe over his back. Sergey and Iaslav rushed to join their Prince, as he strutted towards Boyar Igor. Several of his Druzhinniki also rushed to his side, knowing that violence was a very possible outcome.

"Danilo, I see your men have returned." remarked the Boyar, his eyes darting between Danilo and Iaslav, as if unsure if he was hallucinating. He had been confident that the Karelians had dispatched of Iaslav and his men, but if the man was alive, it could only mean one thing.

The Prince ignored Igor's remark, and pulled the horse he was leading into such a position that Kosanov's corpse was viewable to all near him. "This man was the closest friend of your King. A man I have known since the day I was born. He fought in the Varangian Guard alongside my Father, and he followed him into battle at Novgorod. But your traitorous actions, Igor Lalli, are the reason that he now lays on this steed as a corpse!"

Sergey averted his eyes at the final remark, and Ayeslav, who was now standing behind his Prince, took notice of it. Perhaps there was some secret that Sergey hid.

As the Boyar stammered with his words, Danilo simply scoffed. "Choose a champion to fight in your name, and I will face him. If he claims my life, you may keep yours." he demanded.

Ayeslav, alerted, leaned in to speak to Danilo. "My Prince, perhaps you may choose a champion of your own to fight in your name." he said. He thought to volunteer himself, but thought better of it. He would fight if asked, but did not seek to volunteer himself.

"No, I will fight." answered Danilo, speaking so that the men around him could hear, but one could still perceive him to be speaking in a hushed tone.

"My Prince, please. May we find an-" pleaded Igor, before he was interrupted by the shouting of his Prince.

"No! Choose your champion!"

The Boyar then nodded, defeatedly, and turned to his men. As Igor chose his champion, Danilo handed the reins he held over to Iaslav, and retrieved his bearded axe. When Igor turned back to face Danilo, one of his Druzhinnik stepped forward, a sword in one hand and a round shield in the other.

"Perhaps we shall let the Prince armor himself." Ayeslav suggested. Danilo shot him a silencing look. It was clear to all the Prince would not be dissuaded from his actions. He was intent upon both gaining his vengeance, and proving himself before the whole of his army.

As Danilo turned, he could see that the man before him was worried. The Druzhinnik did not want to kill the Prince, for he knew it would be his doom, but he also knew that if he did not fight, he would also meet his end. After observing the man for a minute, the Prince lunged forward, bringing his axe upwards towards the bottom of the Druzhinnik's shield.

The blade embedded itself in the wood, and Danilo pushed on the handle, bashing his foe with the bottom of the axe while also wretching the blade from the shield. The man stumbled back, his nose bloodied, and the Prince raised his axe into the air and sent in crashing down towards the warrior, who raised his shield in time to block what would have been a deadly blow.

The soldier ducked down below his shield and brought his sword with him, cutting into Danilo's leg. As Danilo stumbled back on his wounded leg, the Druzhinnik brought his sword through the air towards the Prince, raising his axe to block the blow the blade embedded itself in the handle of the bearded axe.

Adrenaline now rushing through them both, the two men struggled against each other, with dozens of men watching. Ayeslav was holding a tight grip on his sword, and Sergey was tapping the iron handle of his axe, both men eager to jump in and save their reckless Prince.

The struggle between the two men ended as Danilo, in one fluid motion, pushed the axe toward his opponent then jerked it back, pulling the Druzhinnik's arm and blade away from him. The warrior bashed Danilo with his shield, pushing him away trying to regain some distance to regroup, the Prince struggled to remain standing as the blade pulled away from the axe's handle.

The Prince locked eyes with his opponent, his left leg attempting to give way under him. He could feel the hot crimson blood trickling down his leg, soaking his garments red as it did. He then hefted his axe into the air, breaking the moment of calm, and his left hand slid down the handle. The heavy axe came down with heavy momentum and bounced off his adversary's helmet with a loud sound of metal colliding against metal. The man stumbled back, disoriented, and Danilo stepped forward, hooking the axe blade behind his opponent's shield.

As he pulled the man back, however, the Prince's leg gave way, and he collapsed, sending both of the man careening to the ground. The Druzhinnik was the first to stand, still disoriented from the blow to his helmet. Danilo willed himself to his feet despite the pain, his thoughts and actions now driven by nothing but his rage. The Prince felt the blade connect but he swung his axe with such force he lost his loose footing and fell to the ground. As his shoulder hit the ground, he was unsure what his blow had done to his opponent, but with his blade covered in blood, and a gut-wrenching shriek piercing the air, he could make a very accurate guess.

Struggling to his feet, Danilo saw his adversary laying on the ground and gripping his leg, confirming the Prince's suspicions. The mans arm had been torn from his body by the forceful blow from the Prince's blade, and blood was spurting from what remained of his shoulder, forming a crimson pool. As Danilo stood, he raised his axe and brought it down, cutting through his foe's neck. He wrested the blade from the man's neck and brought it down again. And again. And again.

By the time man's neck was finally separated from his head, Danilo was covered in his blood. The Prince gripping the axe turned and stared at Igor, but before he spoke he turned to his Druzhinniki, knowing that his next decision was a very important one. Ayeslav subtly shook his head, always one for caution. As he looked back at Igor, Danilo took a deep breath.

"Abdicate, and I will let you live, Boyar." demanded Danilo. He watched as Igor turned to his Druzhinniki.

"On what terms?" Igor questioned, frightened by his future..

Suppressing a rage to simply remove Igor’s head and be done with him, Danilo spoke, “Your former Druzhinnik, Iaslav will become Boyar, and you will be imprisoned until we make our return to Fyvgorod, at which point you will be judged by the King and his Court. Your Druzhinniki, save for Iaslav, will also accompany you in your punishment.”

Igor looked down knowing that we was fortunate that the Prince had not simply killed him. He took a more subjected tone, hoping to preserve his life even if it was one he lived in prison. "I abdicate and thank you my Lord for your mercy." Igor defeatedly said.

Observing the Boyar's two Druzhinniki, Danilo took note of their expressions. Though one of them wore a helmet which hid his face, his mood was still apparent by his clenched fists.

The Prince knew what would happen to Igor when he was jailed, even if he survived the wrath of his Druzhinnik and the stark conditions of jailing, it was doubtful a man his age would survive the march back to Fyvgorod. A devilish grin crept across Danilo’s face. For his betrayal, Igor deserved whatever came to him. Besides, Danilo now had a battle to prepare for.

Good chapter! Danilo's reaction to the arrival of Kosanov's men, and the consequences of this, are well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Good chapter! Danilo's reaction to the arrival of Kosanov's men, and the consequences of this, are well done.
    Thanks! This was actually the longest post I've ever written so far, and the next one is even bigger, as we'll finally see the Battle of Anadrov in all it's glory and bloodiness!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

You've written some great updates since I was here last, Rabbit! I'll look forward to the next one!

Great update as always! I wonder what will happen to Igor... Can't await the nect chapter, especially since it is going to be even longer, as you wrote!

Thanks guys. I plan to post next week, and we shall finally see the Battle of Anadrov

Hello guys! This took a lot longer to post then I originally intended, but here it is, the Battle of Anadrov! I hope you guys enjoy! Feel free to offer any criticism or praise you have!

Quorum Praeteritum XXXVIII
    Early Summer, 1108 AD

"Lylkää! Lylkää!"

The cries of the Karelians could be heard over the sound of the battering ram slamming into the city’s gate. Emboldened by their previous victories, they attacked with a ferocity that lacked even fear.

Splinters flew through the air as a massive battering ram was slammed against Anadrov's wooden gate. A horde of Karelian warriors had gathered around the ram, waiting for the gate to be breached so that they could rush into the town and claim their prize.

"Well, at least they've learned some things from us." remarked Prince Danilo, watching from his steed as the Battle of Anadrov began. He knew that he and his men were outnumbered, but felt that in the confines of the walled town he and his men would be more than a match for the Karelians. Three hundred soldiers stood before him ready for battle, though some were less willing to meet their fate than others, such as the pagan soldiers the former Boyar had recruited. Danilo had put Ayeslav in charge of those men, knowing that he was not only a very skilled leader, but also was more tolerant of the pagans than Sergey, who stood directly in front of Danilo at the head of what remained of the original soldiers the Prince had brought to Anadrov.

The new Boyar, Iaslav, was among what remained of the Horsemen, save for those who were members of the Prince's Druzhina. He had named several of his own Druzhinniki, but most were only a pale image of what a typical Druzhinnik looked like. He also had command of the non-pagan Anadrovian soldiers, who looked significantly more frightful than their pagan counterparts, but simply due to position, true command of these soldiers fell to Ayeslav, as Iaslav and his Druzhina stood off to the right of the gate.

The streets of Anadrov were silent as it's people awaited their fate. Many locals, at least those who had not been armed for the siege, hid in their homes, others took refuge in the Church offering prayers for the protection and victory of their Prince. Danilo was confident that he and his army would be victorious in their defense of the town, though his experience thus far taught him to lean on the side of caution.

But as the wooden gate flew open, the planning ended, and the battle began. The dozens of Karelians that rushed through the gate quickly turned to hundreds, as they rushed Ayeslav and his men. Shouts and war cries pierced the air, and crimson blood covered the ground as the fighting began. Ayeslav did not throw himself into the frenzy, but instead chose to watch from behind his men's lines.

However, the Karelians soon began to push their way around Ayeslav's formation, and Danilo retrieved his war horn and released a mighty bellow which commanded Sergey to rush in to aid Ayeslav. The war horn had became a signature of Finno-Rusian combat, adopted from the traditions of some of the native tribes, as it was effective in relaying commands in the midst of battle.

Sergey watched the battle unfold, muscles and nerves coiled, ready to strike so as to exact his revenge on the pagans and repay them for the deaths of his comrades and his friend and leader Kosanov. He was grateful upon hearing the sounds of Danilo’s war horn behind him, as now he could have his revenge. Sergey shouted for his men to charge, and then rushed towards Ayeslav's flank, and was among the first of his men to collide with the Pagan troops. Wielding a long spear, he thrust the weapon forth and pierced the flesh of a nearby Karelian. Soon, his men had formed a barricade of flesh and shields that filled the open space between Ayeslav's formation of men and the town's palisade. "Hold the line!" he shouted, though this was easier said than done, as the Pagans pushed into his men, cutting down many.

Danilo felt compelled to rush forth into the battle, to strike down the arrogant pagans that defied the King and Crown, and whom he held responsible for Kosanov’s death, although he blamed himself as much as anyone. Yet he knew that it was not his place, and thus he remained watching as the carnage unfolded. As the battle raged on, he watched Iaslav charge into the fray to support Sergey, who was himself being overwhelmed. It had become difficult to discern between Rusian and Karelian as the battle unfolded, and a great mass of bloodied, screaming men formed. Danilo had been in battles and wars before, but this was different. This mass of human misery was not such as Danilo had seen before, in battles of ideology, religion, and territory. This was something different. It was a viscous mass consumed by hate, rage, and an intent for survival.

As the Rusians began to be overwhelmed, Danilo knew that action must be taken soon. He again lifted his war horn and called for the retreat of his men back to the town square. As if they had been awaiting the call, the men quickly broke away from the bloodied, screaming mass and fled down the street towards the center of the town. "Hold your position." he ordered to his Druzhina.

Arrows rained down on the heads of the Karelians, who gave chase to the Rusian soldiers, but it was not enough. Danilo, caught up in a moment of fiery vengeance and recklessness, kicked his horse and drew the bearded axe that had once been Kosanov's. "Charge!" he shouted, rushing towards the Karelian horde. His Druzhinniki, somewhat confused, charged with him towards the scattered Pagan host.

The first foe to meet Danilo's blade was a young Karelian warrior, one who had never raised a weapon to another man before that day. He had killed three in the course of the skirmish at the gate. He was not stricken with fear, like many of his age, but was bold, excited that he would be able to tell his family and friends of his brave deeds, of how he fought in the battle to reclaim the Karelian homeland. Yet, that would never happen. The Prince's blade brought him down, ripping through flesh and bone, though he wouldn't live long enough to die from the wound. As he fell to the ground bleeding, his body and youthful boldness was trampled into the mud by the horses of the Prince's Druzhinniki. Danilo, of course, would never know anything about the man, save for his allegiance and the manner of his death.

Seeing Danilo charge into the fray, Ayeslav let out a great bellow with his own war horn, though to a different pitch than the Prince’s. Many of his men continued to flee towards the town square, some even breaking off and darting into the nearby buildings. A portion of the men who joined Ayeslav's charge weren't even under his command. The Battle, at least this portion of it, was chaotic in the very sense of the word. Yet Ayeslav didn't care. Whoever would join him, he was welcome to have, as he turned and ran to save the Prince from his foolish actions.

Danilo only noticed Ayeslav’s charge when he circled his horse around to distance himself before charging back into the horde of Karelians. "No, Ayeslav." he muttered to himself, before considering his own actions.

As Ayeslav charged back into the horde, Danilo took the chance his sacrifice offered and joined the flight back towards the town square alongside what remained of his Druzhina, many having fallen in battle. Ayeslav looked back for a moment and watched as the Prince rode off, and then turned back towards the Karelians, lifting his shield into the air as he rushed forward. After deflecting a blow with his shield, he raised his sword and cut threw his foe's shoulder, before thrusting the blade forward into his stomach. He withdrew the blade and stumbled back as a spear was thrust into his back, though his chainmail protected him from the blow.

The warrior turned to face his new opponent, only to see that the Karelian was already being cut down by a Rusian soldier. "Thank you!" he called out, though he wasn't sure the soldier had even heard him.

After cutting down two more Karelians, Ayeslav stopped and let the lines of battle pass him, taking a moment to rest and observe the chaotic bloodletting. The Karelian horde was fast approaching, and cutting with relative ease through his soldiers. "I ask you, O Holy Saint Dimitri, you of Saloniki, to pray unto God for me, for I fear he may not listen to my words, and request of him my passage---"

That was it. The final words of Ayeslav Dosanovich, loyal Druzhinnik to Prince Danilo Rurikovich. He never even saw the axe that was embedded in his skull. He mumbled incoherently for a moment before falling to the ground, his life vanishing in a moment. The warrior that killed him would go on to slay several more before his own life was taken, though much slower than Ayeslav's had been taken. And Danilo would never even see their corpses. Of course, he would regret Ayeslav's death, but it was only one of many that would soon occur, and that had already occurred. At least his life had mattered, if even only a small bit.

Danilo had already placed himself behind the new, somewhat loose line that Sergey had formed with what remained of the Rusian men. Iaslav and his men were closer to the line, while the Rusian archers stood off to the side, pelting the Karelians with arrows. When he saw Ayeslav's lines be overwhelmed, the Prince felt regret. Another reckless decision that had cost Rusian lives, including the life of a trusted advisor.

Then he noticed something worrying. The Karelians had stopped a few dozen feet short of Sergey's line. They continued to advance, but only very slowly, as if waiting for something. This also allowed them to tighten up their lines. "Hold your line, Sergey!" Danilo shouted, though his voice was likely unheard by any but his Druzhinniki, as the Karelians began to chant in their own language. "Myö torua työ veniä!"

The Prince tightened his grip on his blade, his knuckles turning white as he anticipated what would happen. He couldn't tell what the pagans' chant meant, save for one word; Veniä, which meant Rusian. Sergey and his troops waited silently, tightening their line. One or two broke from the line and vanished into the streets, but most of the men held.

The moment ended as the Karelians suddenly rushed forward, colliding with the Rus. Spilled blood formed pools in the ground, as corpses were made and trampled. Many in the mess were simply wounded, but died by the boots of their own allies. Some tried to help their fallen compatriots, but most died in the attempt.

Then cries came from behind, and Danilo turned to see cavalry emerging from behind him and cutting apart the Rusian archers. Gripping the reigns, he turned his horse and kicked it, and galloped forth towards his archers and their attackers.

Flanking around the archers, Danilo and his Druzhina attacked the horsemen. Sword in hand, Danilo rushed past a Karelian horseman who parried his blow. The Prince then circled around and charged his opponent again, this time his blade cutting through his foe's horse, but receiving a blow that bounced from his helmet. Dizzied and somewhat confused, Danilo was charged by another Karelian, whose life was soon claimed by a spear. The Druzhinnik who had held the spear released it, the shaft embedded in the pagan, and drew his sword.

Danilo distanced himself from the fight as his archers took the initiative his charge had provided, rushing the horseman and forcing them into a close quarters fight, armed with daggers and axes. Many lost their lives, but the Karelians were nevertheless overtaken. As his men, both Druzhinniki and Archers, gave chase to the fleeing Karelians, however, he struggled to stop his men from distancing themselves from Sergey and Iaslav, who were undoubtedly embroiled in a bloodbath.

"Stop! Let them flee!" he shouted. First his Druzhinniki responded, ending their chase, and the others soon realized what the Prince was requesting, and let the pagans flee. The Prince and his men then galloped at full speed back towards Iaslav and Sergey, their horses kicking up dirt as they ran through the streets.

When Danilo came to a stop, his face had turned completely pale. Sergey and Iaslav had been all but completely overrun, most of their men dead or dying. Sergey was at the front of the fight, now unhorsed, and was trying to hold a steady line against the Karelian horde. Iaslav was fighting with his men to ensure that they weren't flanked and surrounded, though that was going horribly wrong. Without thinking, Danilo armed himself with Kosanov's bearded axe and rode into the fray, intent on helping Iaslav. "No, stop my Prince!" one of his Druzhinniki yelled, knowing the futility of the situation. Nevertheless, his Druzhina rushed in to help him. At least most of them.

Many of the Karelians wavered at the sight of the charging Druzhina, but only a few gave flight. The Prince's horse reared up, as horses do when charging at a mass of men, and the pagans soon took advantage of the situation. Within seconds, a spear had been plunged into the horse's stomach. Though the man that did the deed soon died, the Prince was now dehorsed. Struggling to his feet, he brought his axe up and relieved a nearby foe of his life. Now standing, Danilo rushed into the frenzy, cutting and parrying multiple blows. His troops tried to crowd around him to save him, but he was caught up in the bloodlust of the moment.

After felling several Karelians, he was knocked from his feet when an axe collided with his chest. Though his armor protected him from most of the blow, he could still feel a severe pain in his chest. The Karelians swarmed the fallen Prince, and Iaslav rushed into the fray to save him, opening up the gap he had been so dearly protecting. Soon, Sergey had been overcome as well, with Pagans hitting him from his newly opened flank. He watched as his men were killed in quick fashion, and then made his own attempt to escape, pushing through his men.

As a Karelian warrior tried to take advantage of Danilo's situation, the Prince still on the ground, he raised his axe to block the attack. His opponent's blade cut became stuck in the handle of the weapon, and as he tried to wrench it free, Danilo kicked him in the stomach. He stumbled back and the Prince clambered to his feet, but Danilo was stopped in his tracks when a shield collided with his face, sending him back to the ground. As yet another foe came upon him to take his life, a blade found its way to the Karelian’s arm and then to his chest, claiming his life. A hand then grabbed Danilo and helped him up, and the Prince turned to see that it was Iaslav. "Go, my Prince!" he shouted, before throwing Danilo to his Druzhina.

Danilo caught a Druzhinnik's shield and used it to lift himself upright, never in his life as glad as he was now to stand upright. He turned back to see Iaslav throwing himself against the Karelians. "It's time to go!" he said to his Druzhina, finally admitting defeat. As the Prince escaped the frenzy and mounted himself, Iaslav was brutally killed, though he died with his spear impaling another. Blood pooled under him as he fell, his chest penetrated by arrow and his throat ripped open by axe.

The Prince would watch three more give their lives for him before he finally made his escape alongside his Druzhinniki. Sergey took a horse alongside him, taking the life of one of his own men in the attempt of it. "Go, now!” he shouted, kicking his horse. Sergey was an honourable man, but in this moment of chaos and death, his primary care was his own survival.

Only six men escaped alongside Prince Danilo, as he rode into the hills. Meanwhile, the town of Anadrov was sacked by the Karelians, and Igor and his Druzhinniki were slaughtered like cattle. One of the Druzhinnik tried to surrender Igor's life in exchange for his, and when that failed he attempted to bargain information he did not have, but in the end he was killed like all the rest. The Church was burned, the pagans having developed a hatred of the Christ-God during the Rusian invasion and subsequent occupation, and the Karelian army only continued to expand, their battles a symbol of freedom for their people. Danilo knew that he had to flee if he wished to live, as the Karelians would search for him once they realized he was not among the dead.

The situation had gone horribly wrong. He had come to crush a rebellion, and instead had lost his friend and mentor Kosanov, almost all of his Druzhinniki, his army, and no small part of his pride.

Sergey rode directly beside the Prince as he and what remained of his men galloped through the hills. When they stopped to rest, Danilo looked around at his men and declared an oath of vengeance.

“By the grace of St. Dimitri Saloniki, we shall return and avenge the death of Kosanov and our brothers, and we will kill everyone who opposes us! I swear it!”

An exciting battle, well told! I like the way that you told 'stories within the story', such as the young Karelian warrior who had never been in battle before, and the prayer of Ayoslav Dosanovich. It looks like these dramatic events will have a powerful effect on Danilo - I wonder what he will do now.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast