Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Historia Quod Britonum

Default Re: Historia Quod Britonum

Chapter VIII
    The Last Days of a King
    1108 AD - 1116 AD

The 1st Scottish War began in February of 1108 AD, and was one of the most hard fought wars of King Thored Leofricson's reign. You see, King Malcolm had developed an unnatural hatred for England after Cumberland was taken by Morcar Leofricson, and this hatred had transferred to his son. This hatred drove King Duncan of Scotland to almost immediately declare war upon the death of Archbishop Diego Fabrotta. However, in order to understand the war, one must look upon the events leading up to his death, and indeed the event that caused it, in order to truly understand the origins of the conflict.

In the year 1107 AD, Archbishop Fabrotta had been appointed as the Diocese Bishop of Scotland. To most, this seemed normal, but in truth this was the result of a long attempt to oust the former Archbishop from Scotland. Archbishop Vidone Berta had been attempting for several years to expand the power of the Church in Scotland, even bribing Counts and Dukes with promises of gold. It was suspected that the Catholic Church had even had a hand in inciting Pro-Church Rebellions. This tension between the Catholic Church and Scotland came to a head when it was revealed that Archbishop Berta had been secretly funding the Silver Hands, a group whom had been actively seeking out Scottish nobility for sins they had committed and murdering them.

With this revelation at Scottish Court, King Duncan ordered the Archbishop Berta be arrested, and then spent three months attempting to negotiate with the Pope before installing his own Diocese Bishop, Diego Fabrotta. The Pope refused to accept this, and England backed the Church against Scotland. But while King Thored expected the Pope to hold off on any aggressive movements until his conflict with Leinster was resolved, the Pope sent weapons to the Silver Hands in exchange for the assassination of Archbishop Fabrotta. After he was found dead, Scotland immediately moved to assault England, knowing that Thored would back the Pope and thinking that this was his chance to strike out and force the English to back down before Thored was able to mount a significant defense.

However, this turned out to be a mistake for Scotland, as Thored had already mobilized most his army to march into Ireland to deal with the Duchy of Leinster, who had attacked one of Thored's vassals, and most of his soldiers were waiting to board boats in Cumberland. They boarded the boats, but with an alternative destination, soon landing in Galloway. King Thored lead his army north into Galloway, and after defeating 800 men with his rallied 4,000 Men, he laid siege to Galloway, taking the Duke of Galloway's titles before the end of May.

Yet this fortune would not last for long, as after the Battle of Laigin in July, in which forces from Southern England attacked the Duchy of Leinster, King Duncan laid siege to Leowic and took control of the city, with King Thored being distracted by a battle in Cumberland against Count Gospatrick.

After claiming victory against Count Gospatrick, King Thored marched immediately to Leowic with much urgency. He was met by King Duncan near the city, with King Duncan not wanting his "prize" to be harmed in the battle. It was a very evenly matched battle, with King Thored only having the superiority of a few hundred men. However, King Duncan's army was made up of a large contingent of Gall-òglaich Mercenaries, elite Nordic Mercenaries renowned for their skill and loyalty.

The Battle of Two Kings

The battle, known as the Battle of Two Kings, is a very well known part of English history, and is often studied as one of the last "Classic Saxon" battles, due to the reforms instituted by King Ealdred, whom had not yet been crowned and at this time was still in service to the Varangian Guard, a little more then ten years later.

The Battle of Two Kings lasted a little over two days in it's entirety, taking place in a variety of locations before King Thored finally achieved a victory and Duncan was forced to flee north with a fractured army. Count Gospatrick, having built up an army, assaulted King Thored in late September. Thored again achieved victory, and retook the city of Leowic. However, Galloway was recaptured by King Duncan, who had amassed a new army, and the two Kings marched again to battle, both with enlargened armies.

But King Thored still had a trick up his sleeve. You see, a marriage pact had been organized between Yevstafii the Conqueror, King of Finland, and King Thored Leofricson, at Yevstafii's coronation. A daughter of Thored named Aethelswyth was to be married to Danilo Rurikovich, eldest son of Yevstafii, upon her coming of age, and one of Yevstafii's daughters was to similarly be married to Ealdred upon his return to England. When Aethelswyth came of age, however, Leowic was under occupation and she was a prisoner of King Duncan.

In early December, Danilo Rurikovich arrived with an army of 4,000 on the shores of England, and joined King Thored, knowing that King Duncan was coming with a larger army then previous to retake Leowic. However, when King Duncan was met by both armies, he was suprised, and Danilo and Thored managed to back him down and force a peace treaty. Danilo and Aethelswyth were then married, and he returned to Finland.

Afterward, Thored went to Leinster to finish off the Irish resistance there, who had been fighting a guerilla campaign against the occupying troops. The Duke of Leinster was captured, and forced to declare vassalage to the Kingdom of England. However, the 1st War of Galloway wasn't over yet.

Only a month after the 1st Crusade ended in November of 1109 AD, the County of Leicester revolted against Thored with Scottish funding, with the funding enflaming already tense relations. However, this proved to simply be a desperate attempt by a desperate King, as the Count of Leicester surrendered his titles to King Thored in April of 1110 AD.

Now with the Scottish War at an end, things were mostly peaceful. In January of 1111 AD, the construction of a Castle was completed in Durham, meaning that all of the King's Demense was now fortified by Castles, making England the most heavily fortified nation in western Europe. While the Saxons had now quickly adopted Norman customs or even their language, they had adopted their Castles.

In September of 1112 AD, the 2nd Crusade began, with the intent of conquering Tunis. However, King Thored did not join, stating that he did not wish to fight in any other Crusades after his first disastrous attempt. However, a great game of espionage began between England and Denmark in 1115 AD, being well chronicled due to the war that later came of it.

Adelaide Leofricson was married to Valdemar Knytling in October of 1115. Valdemar Knytling was one of Inge Knytling's, the King of Denmark, brothers, and was third in line to the throne. However, the marriage always had sinister purposes, with a deal having been arranged between Valdemar and Thored, though it's exact terms are lost to history.

King Thored did not wait long before acting, having Erik Knytling, heir to the Kingship of Denmark and 2nd eldest brother to the sonless King Gustav, assassinated. Yet King Gustav was not nearly as unsuspecting as King Thored had hoped, having assassins murder Harold Leofricson, King Thored's youngest son.

While Thored's did not immediately answer, fearing an escalation into war with Denmark, he did discreetly send mercenaries to raid the Danish coast. It wasn't long after that Thored Leofricson declared war on the newly independent County of Carrick, and the battle begun not long after.

The Battle of Carrick began on the 19th of April, 1116 AD, with Thored having around 2,500 soldiers to face the unexpectedly larger army of 3,000 Scottish men, many of whom were already experienced from their war of independence with the King of Scotland.

Ealdred on the 27th of April in England, with the Battle of Carrick still raging to the north. The battle ended on the 6th of May, with Thored winning against the Scots. However, he was forced to leave his army to their siege to return to Leowic, having been badly wounded in the battle.

Carrick was taken in June and integrated into the Royal Demense, but much of the Kingdom's attention had already become concentrated on the dying King, and the marriage that was already being prepared between Ealdred and Anastasia Rurikovich, who had arrived with her Father in July.

Coat of Arms of the House Knytfric

Thored's final act as King was to see the assassination of the King of Denmark, Gustav Knytling, and the inheritance of Valdemar Knytling to be King of Denmark, but the assassin was captured after he completed his mission, which would cause problems in the years to come for England. The ascension of Valdemar Knytling saw the birth of the House Knytfric, though the house would not survive for long.

On the 27th of October, 1116 AD, King Thored Leofricson died of his wounds, and was inherited by Ealdred. The next day, King Ealdred was married to Anastasia Rurikovich. Now, an era had ended, and a new generation had arrived.
    Last edited by Rabbit55821; April 04, 2017 at 10:01 PM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Good chapter! I am enjoying your history-book style and like the way that you have thought through why things happen, for example you tell readers why the 1st Scottish War began. I wonder how Denmark will respond to the assassination and what the new generation will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Good chapter! I am enjoying your history-book style and like the way that you have thought through why things happen, for example you tell readers why the 1st Scottish War began. I wonder how Denmark will respond to the assassination and what the new generation will do.
    Thanks! I had fun writing this chapter. This won't be the last we see of the Silver Hands (or the Danes)!

Quorum Praeteritum XXV
    Late Spring, 1108 AD

Yevstafii, seeing Danilo as he entered the training yard, felt his chest swell in pride, proud of the man his son had become. He knew Danilo was still angry with him, their relationship had been tense since he told Danilo of Sága and his beliefs. It had been months since the night Sága had appeared to save him from the man Thored had told him about. The night he told Danilo of their existence, hoping to help his son, not to anger him. He had considered it may have been a mistake, but Danilo had to know in case they returned. Yevstafii was sure one of them would, if not both.

The Training Yard was mostly quiet as Danilo Rurikovich strode across it towards his Father. He was worried about his father, still concerned about what happened in his Father's chamber and the tale he told Danilo of the Goddess Sága and the strange man who came to kill him. The things his Father told him were impossible, and yet he could not explain the dead guards, his Father's wounds, or how anyone could have done all that and then escape the castle. Danilo refused to believe his Father's stories, and refused to accept his Father's beliefs, but yet he could not explain what had happened.

Only a few men were training, most of the others gone off to the Feast that was being held in the Castle, and Yevstafii, tiring of all the talk and politics that accompany a Feast, had left and came to simply watch his soldiers and be with his own thoughts. The soldiers were estatic that the King himself had come to watch them train. While many of them wanted to be at the Feast, and would have already left had their King not arrived to watch.

"Father." said Danilo as he stopped next to Yevstafii.

"Danilo, I need you to go to North Dvina. A Chieftan named Ortoslava has united many of the Karelian clans in the region and rose up to rebel against our rule, and I need you to take an army to deal with him." said Yevstafii.

"This kind of thing happens all the time. Is the local Count not able to deal with the rebels himself?"

"He doesn't have enough men," answered Yevstafii, "Ortoslava's warriors number nearly 900, and Count Igor Lalli has a very small force, estimating at less then a hundred. He's already met Ortoslava and his Karelians in battle once near the Vygozero River, where Igor lost most of his men.

Danilo nodded in thought. "I will do as you ask."

The two glanced at each other, and Danilo turned to walk away. Yevstafii stopped him though, when he began to speak again. "Remember that these are still our people. However angry you are with me at what I have told you, at my beliefs, don't aggravate the situation even farther simply because you can't decide what you are."

Danilo turned and faced his Father, now angered. "I know what I am. I'm a follower of the Orthodox Church, and a Christian. I have to be." he said, trailing off with his last sentence before setting out to make plans for his march to North Dvina.

An intriguing update, I wonder whether Danilo will be able to defeat Ortoslava's Karelian rebellion.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I have to agree, this is very intriguing. I wonder where it's all heading?

(Just a tiny thing, but isn't it "demesne" (pronounced almost the same as "domain") rather than "demense"?)

Thanks guys! I'm having a lot of fun writing this, and it seems you guys are having a lot of fun reading it. And yep, you were right Caillagh, I'll have to go back and fix that later. Thanks for the advice!

Quorum Praeteritum XXVI

Late Spring, 1108 AD

Kosanov Alesnarovich bowed as he stood in front of his King, Yevstafii Rurikovich. "Milord."

Yevstafii gave a short nod in answer, and Kosanov rose to his feet. The two had been friends for many years, having both laughed and bled together over the years. "By now, you've heard of Danilo's mobilization, correct?"

"Indeed. He's mobilizing to march to North Dvina." answered Kosanov.

"Good. I need you to do something for me." said King Yevstafii.

"Anything."

Yevstafii nodded, and turned, gesturing for Kosanov to walk with him through the castle. "As we both know, Danilo is very zealous in his actions. While I understand that zealotry is the only thing that can control the Fins sometimes, I worry that he will act purely based on this zealotry. That cannot happen."

"So, what is it you need me to do?" asked Kosanov.

"I need you to accompany him to North Dvina. He's more then capable of leading the army, but I need you to make sure he uses it correctly. Basically, keep him in check. We can't risk aggravating the Fins even further, especially the Karelians."

Kosanov's eyes drifted to a female servant, looking her over as she walked passed. He'd have to find her again later, when he wasn't in Yevstafii's company. Perhaps she'd be his companion in this campaign. "I understand, but are you sure that you're own personal views aren't getting in the way?"

With that, Yevstafii turned and his eyes bored into Kosanov. With that, Kosanov raised his palms as if to retract his statement, and the King shook his head and turned, continuing his walk.

"Just keep him under control. Finland is already unstable enough, and nobody's coming to help us."

Quorum Praeteritum XXVII
    Early Summer, 1108 AD

At the head of an eight-hundred man column, Danilo Rurikovich raised his hand to signal the army. As the army came to a halt, Danilo looked around and observed Anadrov, the largest city in North Dvina, though that wasn't saying much. Danilo was unimpressed as even at first glance, one could see that the town was nothing compared to Fyvgorod, the capital of Finland. He noticed Count Igor Lalli approaching to greet them with several guards accompaning him, a gleeful expression on his aged face.

Danilo leaned in his saddle toward Kosanov, who rode next to him. "I would reckon the population of the town to be smaller then our army."

"That seems like a reasonable estimation. Don't say that too loudly though, as we wouldn't want to anger our hosts." answered Kosanov.

Danilo short grunt in agreement. After dismounting he moved towards Count Igor. He could hear Kosanov's rapid footsteps behind him, as the man rushed to catch up with his liege. The town's Count bowed to Danilo when the two were within conversating distance, obviously wanting to appease such a high-class visitor.

The Prince sized up Igor as the Count rose and began to speak. "Welcome to Anadrov, milord. I've already sent out men with food and supplies to your camp, and I will ensure that they are well-fed during their stay."

"I had expected as much." said Danilo coldly.

It was apparent that Igor was slightly stunned by Danilo's coldness. Kosanov nudged the Prince slightly, trying to remind him to be somewhat kind to the Count. Danilo quickly realized what Kosanov was trying to tell him, and responded to the suggestion.

"I apologize, we've been riding for many days, and I'm tired from it. What is the status of your own army?"

Count Igor smiled, "My men have been in constant preparation ever since I heard of Ortaslava's rebellion. At the moment I have around two-hundred men he said proudly. Though I would ask that you allow me to keep around half of my force to protect against any raids."

Danilo raised an eyebrow, having been expecting only a few dozen men to be under the Count's command. "Those numbers are larger then what I was told to expect. Where did you get the extra men?"

"I've been sending out men to gather up recruits from the local villages. They are not very well trained, but they do have strength in numbers, the same strength the Karelians rely upon."

The Prince raised an eyebrow. "The local villages? Do you mean to say that you recruited Pagans?"

With that, Kosanov let out a near-audible sigh. He knew that this wasn't going to sit very well, and almost felt pity for the Count, as Igor stammered. "Indeed. Is...is that alright milord?"

Danilo seemed taken aback. "You expect me to fight with untrained, uncivilized Pagans? I suppose you really are just an old fool, Igor Lalli."

As Igor fumbled words in a desperate attempt to answer his obviously disappointed Prince, Danilo turned to look at Kosanov, whom looked back with a look of almost Fatherly disappointment. "Tell the men to expect food, water and feed for the horses to arrive at the camp shortly. We leave in two days. And as for you Igor," he said, glancing back at the Count for a moment, "keep your Pagan men. I'll deal with Ortaslava on my own."

The Prince turned and began walking back to his horse. How could Igor really expect him to fight alongside Pagans, alongside Barbarians! Kosanov walked alongside his Prince, seeking some way to aleviate the tense mood. "Milord, food, water and supplies are being sent to our camp, but what about women? Nothing raises the spirits of a solider better."

Danilo, still fuming over the Counts disregard, spun to face the old warrior, who was standing there with a devilish grin on his face. Feeling a grin come across his face, Danilo sighed. "Well, morale is important, isn't it?" he said playfully.

"Indeed it is." Kosanov said with an almost childish smile plastered across his face. The two returned to their horse, and began to ride back to camp. Despite the lightened mood of the moment, Kosanov was worried about Danilo's overconfidence in their army's capabilities.

Good updates, very nice written. I wonder if the not accepting the pagans in the army will have consequences... We will see the consequences, I presume Moral is indeed important and women are good at raising it, I guess.

I wonder if Kosanov's worries are well-founded - and look forward to finding out whether Danilo's confidence is justified.

It does sound as if the issue of having pagans in the army has already caused some tension, regardless of whether the extra men are needed. I hope Kosanov can keep things under control. Mind you, I can't help wondering whether he might be quite easily distracted (by any passing woman)...

Thanks for the support This was a very fun and interesting story arc to write, and Kosanov was an interesting character to write. And perhaps we'll learn more about Kosanov soon

Quorum Praeteritum XXVIII
    Early Summer, 1108 AD

The morning sun had just began to warm the air as the young Prince Danilo and Kosanov sat atop their mount, Danilo wearing a suit of heavy Lamellar armor, and Kosanov wearing a coat of chainmail. As his eyes scanned the hills in front of him, Danilo was overcome with a chill that was more than just the coldness of the early morning, as he looked out at the enemy before him. As began to count the size of the Pagan army as best he could, he began to doubt his own pride. The Karelian army numbered at least a thousand just from what he could see. Even though most of the Karelians were untrained, they would still be a formidable foe to face.

His eyes locked on as several horses galloped from the Pagan encampment towards him and Kosanov.

"Those horses are fast. Much faster than our own." observed Danilo, as the Karelians galloped at tremendous speed towards them.

Kosanov nodded, "The Karelians do much trade with the Steppe people, who are well known for their fierce horsemen. Even from what little I have heard and seen, it seems that Ortaslava is no fool. We should not treat him as such."

"You give them too much credit, Kosanov. We will vanquish them and be on our return to Fyvgorod in no time." said Danilo, his voice not nearly meeting the confidence of his words.

As Ortaslava and his horsemen came to a halt in front of Danilo, the Prince could see that several of them were not just riding Steppe horses, but were of the Steppes themselves. This was farther east than Danilo had ever ventured, and until now had not realized how much influence the Horsemen held in the region.

"Violence is not required on this day. I believe we can come to terms, if you so wish, Danilo Rurikovich." came the first words from Ortaslava.

"In this I believe you may be right, so I offer you simple terms. Disband your army, and declare yourself, and have all of your men declare themselves, loyal subjects to the King and to the Church of Constantinople. If you do this, then me and my men will leave this place, and return to Fyvgorod without violence."

The Karelian Chief laughed at the offer. "Why would we do such a thing? Our Gods ask only that we live our lives boldly and honour them with our deeds and courage! Your Christ God is a weak and requires you to be a servant. Your Religion is naught but a twisted tale and a device of control. It is how your Kings are crowned, and your people suppressed. You claim that your God is a God of peace and honor, and yet you wage war and slaughter in his name. Your God may indeed be real, your religion is not. I will never follow such a weak God, nor such a corrupt religion. If you wish for war and glory young Prince, I believe our Gods would be more to you liking!”

Ortaslava's comments infuriated Danilo "Then you wish for war!”, he growled, “How will your people feel about your righteous rebellion when their homes are burning, their people are dying. Your people have submitted before, and they will do it again. My Father has tried to resolve matters peacefully, he allowed you your Pagan rites, only having killed those who cause him immediate problems, yet you continue to rebel against your King. But I am not like my Father, I will come upon you like the Scourge of God, killing or converting until no more Pagans remain in these lands. So I again give you the choice, surrender now, and renounce your Pagan Gods, swear fealty to my Father, your King, or face the wrath of the Prince of Beloozero."

As Ortaslava sat in silence considering the words of the young Prince he thought him completely mad, but had respected the fire within him. Though he claimed to be a follower of this new God, Ortaslava could see the same Finnish blood flowed in them both. "I have another offer. A heroes duel, between you and I. We will let the Gods decide who is right. To spare the bloodshed, you and I will meet here tomorrow when the sun is highest in the sky. If you manage to kill me, then my men will renounce their Faith. However, if I win, then your men will leave North Dvina, and never return."

The Prince glanced over at Kosanov. He caught himself looking down in a moment of doubt, but he quickly regained himself, glaring back at Ortaslava. "It is agreed then. We will meet back here tomorrow."

Quorum Praeteritum XXIX
    Early Summer, 1108 AD

Danio took a long drink from his wineflask as he sat beside the fire. The nights were still cold and longer than the days in North Dvina, but he paid it little notice. As flame turned twigs to embers under Danilo's blank gaze, his mind wandered elsewhere trying to piece together what he could not explain and had haunted his thoughts since it occurred. Not many could guess at what lurked in his thoughts, though anyone who heard him speak for even just a few minutes would unconditionally guarantee that he had no doubts about his faith. However, this was entirely untrue.

The evidence was there, for any man to see. Even if it had not occurred as Yevstafii had told it, something had obviously happened. Something, whether God, Man, or Beast, had killed Yevstafii’s guards, and attacked him in his own chambers. It was unlikely that it was a man or beast, though, as it had seemingly vanished into the wind.

Kosanov's thoughts at the moment were much simpler than Danilo's; Pleasure, both in the form of mead and in women. He was displeased, however, as Danilo had summoned him, removing him from his tent and the female companions he had been accompanied by for the past few nights.

After getting dressed he draped one of the his bedcovers over his shoulder pausing to look back before leaving his tent. He respected Danilo as a military commander and cared for him as the son of his life-long friend, but he wished whatever his Prince wanted could have waited.

He could see Danilo seated in front of his tent alone gazing into the fire, but he doubted at the moment Danilo even noticed him at all.

Danilo’s personal guard stood at a respectful distance. Kosanov knew he, like his father, preferred the company of his soldiers more than the people in court. If the soldiers were standing off instead of seated with him he must be in one of his moods.

Kosanov paused for a second, having just sat down when Danilo spoke. "You are aware that I have no intention to fight Ortaslava tomorrow, correct?" said Danilo.

"I wasn't entirely sure, but I suspected you might have other plans." he said, before reaching for his wineskin and drinking a large portion from it.

"Good. We need to have a plan for what happens tomorrow. First, I suppose I should begin by telling you that I plan to have my archers bring down Ortaslava moments before the fight begins. This will almost instantly cause confusion in his army."

"Wouldn't it be easier to kill him as you told him you would? The locals will have more respect, our army will have more respect for you. In general, everybody will respect you a bit more, instead of some thinking of you as a coward."

The Prince turned to look at his friend.. "I am the only son and heir of the King of Finland. I have no intention of risking my life for some petty idea of honor to appease men I plan to kill, or men that have already sworn themselves to me."

Kosanov leaned several inches, closer to the fire so that warmth washed over his face. "That oath they swore are words, words which mean nothing when men begin to starve and die. When you watch your friends and brothers begin to die around you, it's only more disheartening to know that the man leading you was not willing to die himself, and yet he expects you to die for him."

"You seem to have some personal knowledge on the matter." Danilo said inquisitively.

Kosanov looked away from the Prince, his gaze moving to the fire. "Perhaps I do."

There was a moment of silence between the two, as Kosanov gulped down even more mead and reflected on his past. Kosanov had begun to realise he knew more about Yevstafii then even Danilo did. "So, where do you want me and the soldiers to be?"

"There's a large valley near where the duel between I and Ortaslava will take place. I will take most of the calvary we have to the duel, along with approximately fifty men from our infantry force. You will be in command of the rest. I want you to station yourself in the valley, while also stationing small groups of five or so men along the path to the valley from the sight of the duel to aggravate the enemy force, preferably ones knowledged in the use of javelins or bows." said Danilo, pausing for a minute as Kosanov finished off his mead.

As Kosanov set the wineskin down, Danilo resumed. "After my archers kill him his army will attack, being angry over what has happened will lead them to make mistakes. I will retreat toward the valley to lure the Pagan army, where we will spring an ambush. From there, it should be an easy fight, I will leave the placement of the troops in the valley to your judgment and to plan out any other phases of the battle as they arise, if there are any others."

As Kosanov considered it it was a good plan. And though he knew their would be some consequence from Danilo not killing Ortaslava himself, he could also see the rationality of his judgment, he just hoped others would. "Alright. I will send scouts out now to make sure our movements are unnoticed and I will march out with my men at dawn, and begin ordering them into position. If we both remember to do our parts, we should be able to defeat the Karelians fairly easily."

I'm intrigued by the idea of a duel instead of a battle and the dialogue between Danilo and Kosanov over Danilo's plan is well done. I look forward to finding out whether Kosanov's reservations about the plan are well-founded.

Thanks Alwyn! This story arc is one I really wanted to get right, and I'm glad you've enjoyed it so far. Also, I will say that throughout the story, there a lot of hints as to Kosanov's and Danilo's personalities, but also Kosanov's backstory, even the style of armor they wear...

Quorum Praeteritum XXX
    Early Summer, 1108 AD

After Kosanov had left Danilo at the fire to go prepare for war, the young Prince sat beside the fire until the sun rose. Kosanov had sent for his scouts and his commanders to lay out the plan, as he feared there was already questions and grumblings about Danilo’s decision not to face Ortaslava. Kosanov tried to stem it by explaining that the Pagans would attack after the duel no matter the outcome. It would be foolish to risk the life of the Prince on the honor of men who had already rebelled against their King. And yet, Kosanov didn’t entirely believe what he was saying himself.

He dismissed his men to prepare the troops, and began walking in the direction of his tent he glanced around to make sure everyone was going about their duties and paying the old warrior no mind. Satisfied, he turned and slipped into the woods to do a deed he hoped his Prince would understand. Sunrise found Kosanov in front of his tent dressed and ready for war, and he marched his troops out to lay his trap.

By the time Danilo and Ortaslava met again the sun had been up for hours, and both armies were becoming restless for war. “Are you ready for this, Prince Danilo?" shouted Ortaslava, taking his large axe from the hands of one of his men.

A giant circle had formed around what was to be the sight of the duel between Ortaslava and Danilo, a wall filled by men. On one side was a shield wall formed by Danilo's men, and another the other was the massive Pagan army. To see his opponent in so many numbers made Danilo uneasy, especially with only a portion of his army being present.

As Ortaslava walked deeper into the circle, Danilo pressed his hand on the hilt of his sword. He looked down at the ground for no more than a fraction of a second in contemplation, but Ortaslava caught it nevertheless. As Danilo looked back up, he saw Ortaslava giving him almost a look of pity. The young Prince smiled. “Ortaslava you do not look as confident or defiant as you were yesterday. Perhaps your Gods told you that you would die here today, or maybe he did not answer your prayers at all.”

"Do what you will, youngling.” said Ortaslava calmly.

To be taunted like a child enraged Danilo. He knew that to anger him was the reason for the taunt, but it was working anyway.

“Foolish Pagan.” Danilo grumbled to himself.

He then drew his sword from his sheath and raised it into the air. With that, several archers stepped out from behind the shield wall to Danilo's back, and aimed their bows. As several arrows flew threw the air towards Ortaslava, he was so focused on the fight and Danilo he failed to see the trap. Oratslava’s guards raised their shields and rushed out to protect their leader, but to no avail.

While several of the arrows hit the guards, several of them found themselves buried in the Ortaslava's flesh, at that moment he realised he had underestimated the young Prince and his treachery. The world was already turning dark in front of him. He watched as Danilo turned and ran for his horse. He chuckled as Danilo ran. “Run if you will Prince, for soon we will both be dead.” he said through ragged breaths.

As shouts began to echo through the air and the Pagans charged forward, Danilo sprinted towards his horse. When he passed his warriors closed the shield wall to protect their Prince so he could lead their enemy to their death.

The smell of blood and cries of the wounded on both sides began to fill the air as swords, spears, axes, and shields collided in a bloody battle, one which Danilo's men were already quickly losing. The Prince leaped atop his horse before kicking it hard, and galloping quickly across the hills towards his cavalry.

"With me, now!" shouted Danilo as he took up position at the head of the cavalry formation. Dust was flown into the air as dozens of mounted warriors rushed to flank the Pagan army, which had now launched itself into a frenzied attack.

Danilo tensed as he rode hard towards the right flank of the Karelians. He could already see warriors rushing out to meet the cavalry charge. It was only moments later that he realized the mistake he had made. The Pagans weren't nearly as consumed by their rage as Danilo thought they were.

"Enemy cavalry! Watch out!" shouted one of Danilo's soldiers, his voice barely audible over the sounds of battle and galloping hooves. Yet as Danilo looked to his right, he saw what the soldier was shouting about. Nearly a hundred Steppe Horsemen and Karelian Horsemen were charging down a hill towards Danilo's own cavalry.

Before they were even met with blades, the Rus Horsemen had already begun to scatter out, many trying to turn and flee. But the Steppe horses were far too fast to run from. Horses, men, and dust alike were all thrown into the air as the cavalry collided. The formation of Rus Calvary turned to attack the Pagan horsemen, which turned out to be a bigger mistake very quickly, as the Pagan infantry also charged into the fight.

Danilo brought his horse to a stop and looked around and looked around at the chaos. He and his men had been caught in the Pagans trap instead of the Pagans being lured into his. Many of his men were already unhorsed or dead, and were caught in a fight for their lives.

As a Pagan warrior rushed towards him, Danilo spurred his horse forward towards the warrior, bringing down his sword as he passed the warrior. However, the warrior brought his shield up to deflect Danilo's blow, and laughed as the Prince circled back around to charge him again. "Come and get me if you dare, Christian!” jeered the warrior.

Danilo’s anger was boiling up inside of him at the taunting warrior, and this was the moment that he made his mistake. He didn't even see the horse, nor the warrior atop it, until it was too late. As his horse fell dead, the Russian Prince was thrown into the air before colliding with the cold, hard ground several feet away from where he had been only moments ago.

He looked up to see his horse lying on the ground dead, with a spear driven through it. As Danilo struggled to his feet, the Horsemen responsible for killing Danilo's horse circled back around and seized his spear from the dead horse. The Karelian warrior that had distracted Danilo beforehand was nearly atop him by the time he stood up.

Danilo ducked down and brought his sword down with him, cutting deep into the warrior's leg before standing up. Now behind the Karelian, Danilo drove his sword threw his back. As he did, he could hear the hooves behind him, and he grabbed the axe that was strapped to his side.

Turning to face the Steppe Horseman, Danilo raised his shield and jumped to his left, barely dodging the horse and feeling the blow of the spear glance off his shield. He stood as the Horseman circled around him.

As the Horseman charged him again, Danilo lifted his axe and threw it towards him. The axe buried itself in the Horseman's right shoulder, causing him to shout out in pain and turn his horse. Danilo sprinted toward the Karelian he had killed, pulling his sword from him, his weapon now covered in blood. As the Horseman shouted foreign curses at him, he saw a spear buried deep in a nearby dying soldier.

Danilo turned and ran towards the dying soldier, sheathing his sword and grabbing the spear before wrenching it from the soldier’s body. As he did the soldier screamed in pain Danilo slammed the heel of his boot down hard on the man’s face and the screaming stopped. The Prince then realized that the soldier was one of his own, and for a moment felt guilt, before turning to face the Horseman.

He raised his shield and prepared for his charge, the Steppe Horseman nearly at full gallop. As Danilo’s spear collided, the force of the two opposites meeting drove it almost completely through the horseman. It seemed as if he froze in the air as his horse continued on without him. Danilo dropped the spear, and looked upon the impaled Horseman. He then drew his sword, looking around at the carnage on the battlefield.

Angry, astounded, and realising his overconfidence might have doomed him and his men, how could he have been so foolish. He lingered in the thought for only a moment, knowing that the next opponent would be upon him soon. There would be time later for thoughts and regrets...if he lived.
    Last edited by Rabbit55821; August 20, 2016 at 11:38 AM.

Well, that escalated quickly. Awesome updates and good use of M&B Warband screenshots, is that AD 1257? I am anxious to knowing what comes next, Danilo's situation doesn't sound very benign...

Quote Originally Posted by theSilentKiller View Post
    Well, that escalated quickly. Awesome updates and good use of M&B Warband screenshots, is that AD 1257? I am anxious to knowing what comes next, Danilo's situation doesn't sound very benign...
    Thanks! Yeah, the battle is indeed a bloody one, and it's only just started. Also, you guessed right, for the screenshots I used the AD 1257 Mod, which is in my opinion one of the best Mount and Blade Warband Mods.

While the AAR concentrates on the Leofricsons and England, the Rurikoviches have a very interesting story. With 900 years of gameplay, I figure I can tell a whole bunch of stories, and this was one I definitely wanted to tell, especially with Yevstafii's involvement in the fight between the Flickering Man and the woman, whom we will see again soon. Also, the story kinda've reflects on the consequences these timetravellers have, for example Danilo and Yevstafii's dispute, and maybe other problems that might arise in the future...

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the story, as I'm really enjoying writing it myself. I think by this point, I prefer writing about the game to the game itself.

Great updates, Rabbit!

Danilo really didn't make the best choices there, did he? I'm definitely looking forward to finding out how the battle goes.

Yeah, this is definitely a gruesome battle, though perhaps it may turn around for the Danilo and his soldiers in the future.

Quorum Praeteritum XXXI
    Early Summer, 1108 AD

Kosanov Alesnarovich stood on a steep hillside, surrounded by his men. His army consisted of hundreds of soldiers, lined in tight and layered shield walls on either side of the canyon. To most, this would be a daunting task, but Kosanov had commanded armies of similar sizes before, and only a few of them had belonged to his old friend, Yevstafii Rurikovich.

In front of him stood Sergey Pavlovich, a man he had made a point to become acquainted with and one of Danilo's Druzhina. The red-haired man and Kosanov had been quietly discussing for several minutes a variety of topics, and were presently in the midst of a conversation concerning weaponry as it varied throughout Europe.

Their conversation came to an immediate halt as the sounds of battle began to be heard. Kosanov, Sergey and the soldiers lying in wait stiffened, the sound being carried through the valley told them the fight was about to be upon them. A messenger came running down the hill stopping next to Kosanov. "Soldiers coming into the valley! It appears they're ours!"

Kosanov looked past Sergey and saw soldiers in mail sprinting into the valley. Something was wrong. Dozens of Russian Horsemen were supposed to be faking a retreat into the valley, but these troops were not Horsemen, nor did they number in the dozens.

And it didn't seem as if this was a fake retreat. It seemed real, and desperate.

Puzzled, Kosanov turned to Sergey "Tell the men to be ready to charge, but keep their formations for the moment." said Kosanov.

Sergey nodded, "What of the men currently entering the valley?"

Kosanov let out a deep, contemplative sigh. He had to make a choice, and quickly. It was obvious that something had gone seriously wrong, but it was simply a measure of how wrong it had truly went. Perhaps the Karelians had dressed their men in the mail of the Rus warriors they had killed to trick Kosanov and his army. Unlike Danilo, he knew that the Pagans could be just as ruthless and cunning as any other people the world.

"Let them enter the valley. If they will listen, tell them to assemble somewhat of a shield wall in the valley, and tell them that we’re sending men to reinforce their wall." said Kosanov.

Sergey nodded, and sprinted past the shield wall that Kosanov was amidst to the several mounted messengers that there were on the other side of the hill Kosanov stood on. Sergey also carried a horn, which Kosanov knew he would sound after he sent out the riders.

He stood ready tightening his grip on the leather wrapped metal handle of his axe. Kosanov had paid a handsome sum of gold to have the battle axe made, having had one too many axes break in battle. The large bearded axe strapped on his back, however, had a wooden handle, though it was still made of the most sturdy wood he could find.

As riders galloped over the hill to spread Kosanov's orders to the rest of the army, Sergey's horn blasted, echoing throughout the valley with tremendous volume. He could already see Karelian soldiers rushing into the valley, like wolves seeking their prey.

Several of the Rus Soldiers who had fled into the valley were already forming up a loose shield wall, while others ran to join them before the battle began. However, many others simply ignored their orders, and continued to run.

With the Karelian warriors charging farther into the valley, Kosanov turned back to see Sergey standing on the top of the hill next to one of the scouts. "Order the charge, Sergey!" he shouted.

As the horn boomed again, this time twice, Kosanov turned and gestured forward with his axe. With cheers from his fellow soldiers, the Rus began their descent down into the valley, nearly three hundred Karelians now laying in their trap. Perhaps Danilo had been able to take out a large portion of their numbers.

Kosanov raised his shield as he sprinted down the hill towards the warriors below, javelins flying threw the air towards the charging Russians. Arrows came down towards the Karelians in answer, as the Russians rapidly closed the distance between themselves and their foes.

One of the deadly shafts nearly found it's mark, embedding itself in Kosanov's kite shield. However, the old Russian soldier was glad that his shield had saved him, as only a few seconds later, a javelin embedded itself in the thigh of the soldier to his right, who immediately collapsed on his knee in agony, falling into a roll down the hill.

A crude irony was seen on the battlefield as the wounded soldier died not of the javelin from his enemies, but rather from being trampled by his fellow soldiers as they reached flat ground. Kosanov gave the matter no more than a moment of thought however, having seen such situations play themselves out numerous times.

Only a few feet away from an angry Karelian soldier, Kosanov readied himself for what could be a deadly collision of man and blade. He brought his shield closer to him, and then it happened. The impact sent pain shooting through his shoulder, but there was no time to complain.

Kosanov lifted his axe, and brought it down with deadly force into the shoulder of the soldier in front of him, cutting through the leather armor the soldier wore. Unleashing a cry of rage and agony, the warrior brought down his own axe forcefully against Kosanov's shield, as the Russian lifted his shield and brought his axe to bear cutting through the Karelian's leather armor but not cutting very far into his skin.

The Karelian didn't expect the undercut blow and was temporarily shocked, allowing Kosanov to swing his axe and send blood spurting from the Karelian's forearm. The warrior leapt forward, colliding with Kosanov and nearly sending him to the ground. The soldier behind Kosanov helped him to stay upright however, and Kosanov buried his axe into his foe’s neck nearly severing his head and burrowing into bone.

Blood covered the Russian warrior, and as he tried to wrest his axe from the neck of his dead enemy more spurted out at him. Kosanov gripped the handle tight and squarely kicked the dead Karelian in the chest, tearing the axe from bone and sending the warrior to the ground.

Kosanov attempted to wipe some of the blood from his face, and raised his shield, seeing that it was splintered in numerous places and damaged. He watched closely as the next warrior neared him, and then realized that the closest warrior was several feet away. The two lines had separated for a moment, allowing a second of reprise for both sides of the fight.

From behind their shields, Russians and Karelians jeered insults at each other, neither understanding what the other was saying. Kosanov however knew this for the false bravado it was, and was thus silent through the matter, looking closely at who he predicted would be his next opponent.

In the moment of rest, Kosanov saw a moment of opportunity. "Charge!" Kosanov shouted as loud as he could, rushing forward towards his foe and taking advantage of the surprise to swing his axe with considerable force. The axe penetrated deep into the chest of the Karelian. As the other Russian warriors charged forward, Kosanov released his hold on the axe and drew his sword from it’s sheath, and cutting across the warrior's face.

A deep gash across his face, the Karelian warrior screamed in agony, and Kosanov thrust forward his blade to end the soldier's pain, penetrating his larynx. The warrior seemed to freeze in time, staring blankly at Kosanov. The Russian then set his mind to retrieving his axe, grasping the handle and leaving his short sword impaled in the Karelian's neck looking like a grotesque statue. Kosanov stared for only a moment. He had seen much stranger things in war.

Suddenly Kosanov’s eyes widened as he saw a great axe be lifted into the air above him, a huge Karelian warrior throwing aside the foe Kosanov had just killed and raising his weapon. Kosanov retained his grip on the axe as it tore from the warrior’s chest, raising his shield and bracing himself, not entirely sure if the shield or he would survive the upcoming blow. As the great axe fell, it splintered Kosanov's shield, and pain shot through his arm. While the blade had penetrated his shield, it had taken enough of the shock to slow the force of the axe so it did not penetrate his mail coat, but still Kosanav felt his arm surging with near-intolerable pain.

Kosanov yelled at the warrior and then swung his axe several times against his foe's side. As the blade repeatedly cut into the Pagan, crimson liquid spilled out on to the ground. The warrior pulled at his axe, trying to retrieve it as it was embedded in Kosanov's shield, and Kosanov with his arm reeling from the pain released his hold on the shield. Shocked, the warrior stumbled back and fell over one of the dead behind him, thus allowing Kosanov his opportunity to strike. Kosanov grasped his axe in both hands, willing his left arm to move despite the pain. Raising the axe he moved forward, placing one foot on the huge warriors chest and falling to the ground. The momentum of the fall together with the swing of his axe allowed Kosanov to split the warriors head nearly in half.

After recovering his sword from the neck of the warrior he had killed before, Kosanov smiled with pride, both in the fact that his age had yet to betray him in battle and at seeing his men cut down their foes. Yet he also knew that his own men were dying in the fight as well. The old Russian simply stood in the midst of the chaos for a second, and several other soldiers rushed past him to enter the fight.

Then he took notice of something. His instincts were screaming at him something was wrong. When he realized what it was, he was horrified. The arrows coming from behind him had stopped falling, which could only mean one thing.

Kosanov turned and looked up and the hill, and saw a frightening sight. Steppe and Karelian Horsemen were on the hilltop charging his archers and slaying them with ease. Kosanov felt a chill, a dread he had not felt in a long time. Danilo must have failed, and Kosanov had no idea if the Prince was still alive or was among the dead.

He was unsure what tore at him most at the moment; failing his friend and King, leaving the young Prince, or the fact this battle was about to take a devastating turn for the worse...

Quorum Praeteritum XXXII
    Early Summer, 1108 AD

Kosanov could waste no more time on these thoughts he began shouting his orders, watching as cavalry brought down his archers on the hills above him. "Form a shield wall to the rear, now!" he shouted, rushing towards the back of his troops.

Several men turned to see what he had just spotted, and were met with a terrifying surprise when they did. As ordered, the men to the rear of the formation formed a shield wall. Kosanov had to think fast if he wanted to ensure a victory.

"Hold the rear shield wall! Any soldier separated by at least two rows from the front or rear of the formation, charge with me!" he yelled.

There was still enough time left that he had a chance of making it up the hill, but he knew it was a risky move. Nevertheless, if the cavalry charged down the hill, the Russians would be done for, and thus something had to be done.

Kosanov sprinted past the shield wall, putting away both his axe and his sword as he did, and retrieving the large bearded axe strapped to his back. His arm still in pain but functioning nonetheless, he gripped it in both hands, and ran as hard as he could up the hill, surrounded by at least forty other soldiers.

Glancing to his left and right, Kosanov saw dozens more soldiers rally and start their charge up the hill to join his advance. Perhaps this battle could be one after all. Looking back up the hill, he readied himself for battle.

Yet, the Pagans proved themselves again to be dangerous and cunning foes yet again, as many of their horsemen turned and charged down the hill towards the Russian infantry below. Seeing this, Kosanov gripped his axe and cursed his luck.

It was only seconds later that he felt his feet in the air. The left side of his vision was blank. In fact, it seemed as if all senses in the left side of his body had suddenly ceased working. And then his body hit the ground, and he rolled down the hill, coming to a stop only as he collided with a large rock.

The pain was almost unbearable. Now he could feel everything in it's full force. Blood seeped from a gash on the upper left side of his face, his body screaming with pain. But there was still some beacon of hope, as Kosanov realized that the loss of sight in his left eye was not because of any damage to it, but rather it was because the eye was covered with blood.

Several of his own soldiers rushed to surround and defend him, as the Karelians moved toward their wounded commander. As a pair of soldiers lifted him to his feet, Kosanov saw several Horsemen galloping at full speed towards him as cries for help were shouted, and it took him a moment to realize that they were his own men, with Sergey at the head of the group. Sergey shouted something at his men, and all but two departed to rejoin the bloody battle. As he rode up alongside Kosanov, he wasted no time.

"You two," Sergey shouted at the two soldiers carrying Kosanov, "get him aboard the horse of the man behind me. He'll get Kosanov off of the battlefield, and to a healer."

The two men nodded and began to lift Kosanov onto the horse one of the soldiers handed Kosanov’s axe to the soldier on the horse. "You have command." mumbled Kosanov, only half conscious. Sergey gave an appreciative nod, and looked around the chaotic battlefield.

As Kosanov was taken off of the battlefield, Sergey turned his horse towards the top of the hill. Kosanov could hear him shouting "Get up that hill, no matter the cost!"

Spear in hand, Sergey spurred his horse on, and his steed sprinted up the hill. He had already ordered the infantry below to begin to slowly and tactfully flee the valley, vowing to hold back the enemy cavalry as long as he could. However, there was a fight occurring on the hills on the other side of the valley, as the Pagan Horsemen had also attacked there. Men had already been sent to fight the Horsemen, though the fighting on either hill wasn't going very well.

As he charged, Sergey raised his spear, and with the spear he took the life of a Karelian soldier, the blade penetrating the soldier's chest with tremendous force. He jerked the spear back, and thrust it forward again, this time splintering the shield of another Karelian warrior.

Sergey continued to kill and slay for nearly half an hour, bringing down what amounted to half a dozen Karelian and Steppe soldiers and horses. When he turned and saw that most of the army in the valley was collected into a single giant shieldwall, he shouted out his orders, "Follow me!"

He galloped down the hill towards his shield wall, seeking to lead his troops behind the shield wall that had formed. As he rode, he threw his spear as if it was a javelin, and the shaft impaled itself in the horse of a Steppe Horseman, sending the warrior to the ground. With his free hand, he drew his horn and let out five thunderous blows. This communicated to the rest of the captains to initiate a retreat.

Sergey looked around wondering what had gone so wrong in the battle. They had barely recovered and regained enough control to maintain a fighting retreat. He knew the enemy had suffered as well, but he did not think they had suffered nearly enough. Feeling hate boil inside him for his enemy, he vowed to himself that he and his soldiers would return to exact revenge for their fallen comrades and slay every last one of these accursed Karelians.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast