Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Historia Quod Britonum

Default Re: Historia Quod Britonum

Quorum Praeteritum VII
    Late Fall, 1086 AD

Castle Leofric, 1968 AD

Duke Thored Leofricson looked out at the fields surrounding Castle Leofric from his balcony. Several dozen members of the Saxon Guard were training in the Courtyard below. The Saxon Guard had protected his Father even as he had aged in years of battle, and he trusted them to protect his life. Offa Darcy stood next to Thored, cloaked in the robes of a bishop.

"It's over. Just a few short months seemed like years to me." said Thored.

Offa nodded. "Indeed. But now the North is stable again, and it's only a matter of time before King William dies, and the Witan chooses you as the new King of England. It's all but guaranteed. England will belong to the Saxons again."

"Yes, but there are other threats that concern me at the moment, chief among them being how well-guarded my Father's secret is. You and I both know it, and I trust you, but I worry if the Secret had not been revealed to my late Uncle Edwin and his line. My Father told Anabella of his secret during his final years. They loved each other, but she didn't have the greatest concern for me or my siblings. Anabella could have reached Edwin before William squashed his rebellion, but I wonder if the word spread to Estmond or his sons, or perhaps even Edwin's other children. The Edwinson Line has been scattered throughout England, Scotland, and Denmark now, and I worry if the word might spread."

"I do not believe Edwin would have believed Anabella, and even if he did, he would've been too distracted with his rebellion to be particularly concerned with the information."

Thored sighed. "Yes, but even so, Anabella still dwells in Scotland, in the court of Count Gospatrick of Berwick. I am not sure whether I should leave the two to their machinations, or invade and risk aggravating them should they escape my fury. At least Wulfthryth is off in Denmark, where she can't cause much harm."

"Perhaps you should be more concerned with the Crusades. The Heathens still hold Jerusalem, and our Pope has demanded that all godly Catholics ride to take the city for Christianity."

The young Duke nodded, pondering the suggestion. "Perhaps so. If I were able to take Jerusalem, it would further cement my claims in the eyes of the Witan, and I would be doing God's will in driving the Heathen from the Holy Lands. My realm is prospering, so perhaps I can bring that prospering to the Holy Land."

The two smiled, and stood in silence, watching as the last leaves fell, and the Winter Winds began to stir. The two had been close friends ever since Thored had came of age, as Offa had showed him that Anabella had been using him. "When will you depart for the Isle of Man?"

"I will depart in two days time. The Pope has recognized your proclamation of the Bishopric of the Isle of Man, and has said many kind words about you concerning the matter." answered Bishop Offa.

The two continued to talk for several more hours, but the question loomed in Thored's mind. Just what would his Step-Mother due with the information she had been given?

Last edited by Rabbit55821; April 20, 2016 at 09:56 PM.

Quorum Praeteritum VIII
    Early Spring, 1087 AD

Anabella Bruce smiled as she waited in her room. She had become Count Gospatrick's lover in the past few months, trying to gain influence in Scotland to her claim to Northumbreland. The old Count had told her that he would be right up after he dealt with a matter raised by his Steward.

As the door opened, Anabella turned with a smile on her face. And exclaimed. The man who had entered the room was dressed in old Monk cloaks. He grabbed Anabella and slammed her into the wall. As she stumbled, she could feel blood draining down her neck. She turned to defend herself, but the man stood over her with a sword raised. "I have grown accustomed to your time's methods of warfare. It is your intent to establish yourself or a child of yours as Duke or Duchess of Northumbreland. I simply cannot allow this. Thored is to crucial to my plans. I must reach Jerusalem, and he is my way there."

The man grabbed Anabella and drug her to the window, opening it and hanging her out. She tried to keep a fearless expression, but the man could see that she was terrified. "Please, don't!"

"Look at me, I came here to change things for the better, and now I'm assassinating a woman for my own needs. I really am sorry for this." he said. And with that, you opened his hand, and Anabella fell from the window to the Courtyard below. He then vanished, reappearing under the huge bed in the center of the room. He had almost mastered that art.

Two men rushed into the room, each wearing black, hooded outfits and wielding daggers and swords. "Where is she?"

They were not here to rescue her, but to kill her. But the Flickering Man had needed to ensure that the job was done right. One of the hooded men moved to the window, looking out and seeing Anabella, or what remained of her, splattered across the courtyard. "Well, somebody did our job for us." said the hooded man at the window.

Count Gospatrick then entered the room, a solemn and sorrowful expression on his face. "Well?"

"Someone got here first. But she's dead either way." said the other hooded man.

The Count nodded. "Send word to your Thored. I've done as he asked, now leave me and my County."

The two hooded men looked at each other before exiting the room. After the two had left the room and Gospatrick sat on the bed, beginning to sob, the Flickering Man vanished from under the bed, and had soon left the Castle.

First Berwick.

Now Jerusalem.

Last edited by Rabbit55821; April 20, 2016 at 09:58 PM.

Northumbreland has entered a period of prosperity and peace. But how long will it last? Has Morcar's Secret been revealed to Estmond, Thored, or another descendant of Edwin's line? How much does Gospatrick know of Morcar's Secret? Will Thored launch a preemptive strike against the Count? Who are the secret, black-hooded assassins who apparently serve Thored? Will Offa Darcy reveal Morcar's Secret to Rome, or continue on his path of companionship with Duke Thored? Why is Jerusalem so important to the Flickering Man? What was the Flickering Man doing in Zedekiah's Cave? Will Thored head to Jerusalem, and how does the Flickering Man supposedly know what will happen in the future?

Find out (eventually) in...
    Historia Quod Britonum!

Chapter IV
    The Holy Lands
    1087 AD - 1090 AD

In the year 1087 AD, the 1st Crusade was still being fought. However, with France and Germany recovering from their war against each other, and the United Kingdom of Leon and Castille, along with the Duchy of Barcelona, just barely managing to resist the heathens in Iberia, with the Republic of Cordoba being the most prominent threat, not much action had been taken. However, Duke Thored made the decision on the 11th of January, 1087 AD, to join the 1st Crusade as his father had, and to take the Holy City of Jerusalem from the Egyptians.

A mere month later, Duke Thored set out, along with Marshal Aldred of Cumberland (the de Greystocs had retired from their positions), and Eadwig de Greystoc (despite having resigned from his position of Marshal, he still fought alongside Thored). The three commanded a force of no less then 4,000 soldiers, and were on the march to the Holy Land.

Before Duke Thored had set out, it was documented that he and his wife had fell out concerning him leaving for the Holy Lands and possibly being gone for years, when Blanche had just been told she was pregnant. However, Thored had ignored his wife and continued with his plan, intent on retaking Jerusalem.

While Duke Thored and his army were on their way to the Holy Land, Agatha Leofricson returned to Northumbrian Court, having been a fosterling of King William the Usurper. Blanche also gave birth to a daughter named Aethelswyth, and was expecting another child by February. It was obvious to the Northumbrian Court that Blanche had cheated on her husband, but this was mostly overlooked due to Thored's great standing with the Pope and the Catholic Church.

Thored arrived in July of 1088 AD, with an army now numbering a little under 1600. The Crusade had put the Duchy of Northumbreland in a massive state of debt, but Thored continued on in his campaign. The young Duke first saw combat in Jerusalem in October, having been laying siege to the city of Jerusalem for nearly two months. al-Mustali Fatimid, the second eldest son of the King of Egypt, attacked Thored with 800 men. During this period of time, Blanche Capet had also become sick, and many believed that this was a curse by God for cheating on her pious husband.

al-Mustali was, of course, repelled from Jerusalem by Thored and his Crusaders. The Egyptian fleed south, while Thored continued his Siege of Jerusalem. The Crusaders were joyous at their first victory against the Egyptians, much better then Morcar's first attempts in the Crusades had went, but knew to be prepared for another attack. al-Mustali returned to Jerusalem in late April with only a few more dozen soldiers then he had previously, although Thored's army had decreased by nearly 300, affected both by the conditions the Crusaders were in as well as the previous battle.

However, al-Mustali was again routed from Jerusalem, and would not return to Jerusalem until the Thored left the Holy Land. Back in Northumbreland, Blanche gave birth to a son named Ealdred. However, Thored was not concerned with news from home, as his army celebrated the taking of Jerusalem in June.

Thored's capture of Jerusalem would be the second time the city had been captured in the First Crusade, as the city had previously been held by Eudes de Lomagne. However, historians often dispute the credibility of the claims that Eudes de Lomagne took control of the city by himself, as, according to accounts by the local population, he was aided by a large number of Iberian and Italian Mercenaries.

This would explain the economic downfall experienced by the County of Labourd after Eudes de Lomagne's capture of Jerusalem. However, this could also have been due to the same reasons that Northumbreland experienced a brief period of economic collapse; the overall expenditures of a Crusade were very high, as large armies had to be transported, as well as supported in their campaigns. This would eventually lead to the rise of the Crusader States and a number of Chivalric Orders, including but not limited to; the Knights Templar, the Knights Hospitaller, and the Teutonic Knights.

After capturing Jerusalem, Thored remained in the city for a few months before setting out to lay siege to the Egyptian region of El-Arish, a poor but strategically valuable region belonging directly to the King of Egypt. Luckily, the various vassals to the King of Egyptians remained absent during the conflict, as situations in the Kingdom of Egypt had been very unstable after the sacking of several coastal areas by French Crusaders, before the French were pushed out by several hard-fought battles in which both sides had experienced immense losses.

When Duke Thored arrived in El-Arish, he was assaulted naught but 3 days later by al-Mustali Fatimid yet again. This time, al-Mustali commanded an army of 600, while the Dual-Duke of Northumbreland commanded an army of 450, having lost many soldiers to the harsh climate and to battle. However, the Crusaders again routed al-Mustali, but not without massive losses.

The final battle of El-Arish was fought from March to May, 1090 AD. The battle saw 500 Muslims face off against 200 Crusaders, and Duke Thored, despite impossible odds, was yet again able to route Al-Mustali. However, Thored was then forced to flee the Holy Land with a mere 25 men, most of which were his Saxon Guard or Knights.

Jerusalem was retaken several months later by al-Mustali, and Thored was forced to accept peace with the King of Egypt. Thored had failed in his attempt, but it would still be remembered. Several legends would come about concerning Thored's failed crusade, one of which concerned the so-called Custos Daemon, or Guardian Demon, which was said to have aided Thored in his battles in Jerusalem. It is also said that Thored lost because he accepted the aid of the Custos Daemon, but historians have mostly agreed that the legend of the Custos Daemon was probably based on a specific member of the Saxon Guard, Aethelstan of York, who was said to have donned the clothing of the locals and infiltrated the city.

Despite all the legends, one thing was clear; the fight for Jerusalem would be a long and complicated one.

Last edited by Rabbit55821; April 20, 2016 at 11:39 PM.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

The 'Guardian Demon', hmm?

This is going really well - I'm looking forward to making the connections between actions in one era and the consequences in later eras.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh View Post
    The 'Guardian Demon', hmm?

This is going really well - I'm looking forward to making the connections between actions in one era and the consequences in later eras.
    Thanks! And yeah, I put that little bit in there as a sort of hint to the Flickering Man's purposes, but it was also be a part of Edwin Adamson's storyline. That one little line may mean a lot in the future. And I know I've said multiple times that I was going to slow down on the "Flickering Man" Story Arc (lol, I'm sure you guys don't mind ), but I realized that by this point, the Flickering Man would be getting kinda've old (he would be around 50 by now). His Story Arc will be resolved here soon.

It's interesting to consider that with all that's happened, we are just getting started. Once the posts concerning Edwin's and Aiden's Story Arcs start coming about, the connections will become apparent, which will be interesting as one takes place in a completely different timeline

But there's also a lot happening in the game itself as well, as the Restoration of Anglo-Saxon England might come about sooner then I originally thought, but Edwin's traits are still keeping my vassals and court very disloyal, which could spell doom for England if he becomes King. Anyways, I'm glad you guys enjoy the AAR!

Quorum Praeteritum IX
    Summer, 1089 AD

Jerusalem had been conquered. The Crusaders had taken it. But that was only the beginning. And Thored knew it. He stood atop of the walls of Jerusalem, gazing at the landscape around the Holy City. He was dressed in his full armor, with a sword at his side and his helmet in his hand. Eadwig and Aldred both stood next to him, also in their armor.

"The rumors are spreading of the Custos Daemon. They are viewing him as a hero." said Thored.

"With what he did for us during the siege, maybe we should to. He saved many of our men, including you. Even if it was in more of a indirect manner." answered Aldred.

Duke Thored look to his side at Aldred and chuckled before looking back out at the landscape. He himself had not believed what his Father had told him, believing them to be the ramblings of a dying old man. Perhaps his Father had been right though, about the Demon of Northumbreland, the Curse of the Leofrics. The Flickering Man.

But unlike his Father, Thored had told no one of his Father's secret, save for Offa Darcy and his Saxon Hunters. The idea of the Saxon Hunters had originated with Morcar when William of Durham killed Oswald de Cherlton. Most were chosen from his Saxon Guard, and were used to preserve his Father's Secret, which if it became widely known could cause chaos in England, and destroy what many viewed as the last hope for a reestablished Anglo-Saxon rule in England.

"Who do the men believe it is?" asked Thored.

"Most of them believe it is Aethelstan of York, one of your Saxon Guard. And I see no reason to believe anything else." came the answer, this time from Eadwig.

"Then there is no reason to try and convince them otherwise."

Aldred raised a suspicious eyebrow and glanced over at Eadwig, who shrugged in response. Thored was to deep in thought to pay attention to either of them. His Father had been right, hadn't he? For all the times that Thored had believed his Father had just been falling into madness and paranoia, the Dual-Duke had now witnessed a Demon fighting along the walls of Jerusalem, vanishing with no warning only to reappear again.

"So, do we continue to let the rumors spread?" questioned Eadwig.

The spread of the rumors would hopefully be able to stifle the truth about what happened during the siege. "Yes, let them spread. I would think it more wise to plan our Crusade rather then try to prevent the spread of a rumor which may end up aiding the morale of our men. We are few in a land of many heathens. We should hope that more heathen do not join our already numerous enemies, not concern ourselves with the tales of soldiers in a grand battle."

Aldred nodded, giving the Duke's statement a thought. "I agree."

Thored turned to look at the two, and then concentrated on Eadwig. "Well, what do you think?"

There are a few moments pause before Eadwig nodded. "I agree as well."

The Duke nodded and smiled. "Good, then it is settled. Now, how shall we go about our Crusade?"
    Last edited by Rabbit55821; April 21, 2016 at 12:34 AM.

(Seeing as how I actually broke up one Chapter into two to make Chapter IV and Chapter V, and I want to go ahead and get to certain plot points, I am only going to do one "Part" for Chapter IV. Anyways, enjoy!)

Chapter V
    The Derby Rebellions
    1090 AD - 1091 AD

The Derby Rebellions lasted a little under a year, beginning in June of 1090 AD. One of the things that made the Derby Rebellions interesting is that the entire conflict took place while Duke Thored was at sea. The conflict was sparked in late June, when war was declared by the Duchy of Northumbreland, which at the time had no clear ruler, as Duke Thored was primarily Duke of Northumbreland (Dual-Duke of Northumbreland, Duke of Northumbreland-Lancaster, Duke of the North, and Duke of Leofricland were all titles used to refer to Duke Thored's territory at the time, although only the first two were used formally) in title only, being away to fight during the 1st Crusade.

The first Count of Derby of the two which opposed Northumbreland was Count Aethelstan Leofricson, the grandson of Edwin Leofricson and son of Estmond Leofricson. Count
    Aethelstan declared himself as a man with no liege-lord, denouncing his vassalization under both Duke Thored and King William.

Richard de Normandie, Count of Chester and vassal of Duke Thored, lead a small Northumbrian army of 1300 into Derby, aided by 2100 soldiers from King William. Count
    Aethelstan opposed this army with his own army of 1400, beginning the First Battle of Derby in September of 1090 AD. The battle lasted for a little over three weeks, before Count Aethelstan was routed with 900 men. King William pursued the Count, while Richard de Normandie remained in Derby to lay siege to the Count's territories.

Derby was captured a month later, and two weeks after that, King William captured Count
    Aethelstan in battle. He was forced to surrender his titles to the Duchy of Northumbreland, and headed to a Scottish Court. By this time, much of Edwin's line had scattered across the British Isles, and even in some courts in Northern Germany and Denmark, having lost their final territories when Count Aethelstan was defeated.

On the 1st of October, Osric Leofricson, Duke Thored's second oldest son, was given the title Count of Westmorland, and Eadwig de Greystoc, having returned to England after the Capture of Jerusalem, was made Count of Derby. Things seemed to have been restored to normal, especially when the Pope agreed to pay off the debt of the Leofricsons, a reward for Duke Thored's Crusading efforts, but also an attempt to maintain stability in England.

However, Eadwig de Greystoc launched his rebellion in January of 1091 AD, only a few months after being made Count. With Eadwig having launched his rebellion, Richard de Normandie again marched to Derby, and was successful in his exploits. While Eadwig proved to be a formidable foe, numbers eventually won over skill, and Eadwig de Greystoc was ousted from his position as Count of Derby. After the rebellious Count fell to Richard, the County was integrated into the Duchal Demesne.

With the Derby Rebellions at an end, it was simply a wait until Thored returned to Northumbreland. In June, Osric, a son that Thored had never seen, died of a juvenile disease, as was very common in that time of primitive medical technology. The title of Count of Westmorland was then given to the Bishropic of the Isle of Man, and Cuthbert de Leyburne, a very loyal man, was made Bishop of Derby.

Then, after a long time on the sea, Duke Thored finally arrived in Northumbreland with his Crusaders, which consisted of all of ten. Now, it was just a wait for the Kingship of England to fall into his hands.
    Last edited by Rabbit55821; April 26, 2016 at 03:12 PM.

Quorum Praeteritum X
    Early Fall, 1090 AD

The two Counts stared at each other. One a Norman, one a Saxon. One a de Normandie, one Son of Leofric. It was almost as if the two were destined to fight against each other. "Peut-être que vous devriez considérer la générosité que je vous montre à parler. Si je voulais, je pourrais avoir juste attaqué votre camp et vous et votre rébellion a pris fin avec des méthodes beaucoup plus définitives. Est-ce votre intention de me pousser à cela? Vous n'êtes pas obligé de pousser très loin."

Richard de Normandie was an intelligent and well-skilled negotiator, and a learned man. Count Aethelstan of Derby, however, was a gruff and ill-mannered man, although one quite skilled in combat. Only a week ago, Derby had been taken from Saxon Count, and he had been forced to retreat to what was nearly the southern border of his territory. When he discovered that Richard knew where he was, however, he offered to negotiate with the Norman.

Aethelstan's translator looked over to him as Richard finished talking. "He says that you should consider the generosity he displays by even choosing to speak with you. He says that if he wanted to, he could have attacked your camp and ended you and your rebellion with much more definitive methods. He asks if it is your intention to push him to that. If so, he says that you don't have to push him very far."

The Saxon Count chuckled. "Tell me word for word what he is saying, without all this 'He says', 'He Asked'. Those Normans are cunning that way. Ha, tell me there not French. Remind that I'm the one who invited him in the first place."

The translator nodded and turned to Richard. "Il dit se souvenir qu'il est celui qui vous a invité ici en premier lieu."

"Imbécile. Alors peut-être que je devrais faire ce que je veux vraiment et commander mes hommes à l'attaque , et apportez-moi sa tête." said Richard with a well disguised look of contempt.

"Etes-vous sûr que vous voulez que je dise cela? Aethelstan est très aggravatable dès maintenant." asked the translator.

Of course, Count Aethelstan had no idea what either of them were saying. He had never even made an attempt to learn French, despite it's use in English Court, especially Courts in Southern England.

"Dit lui."

"Bein. He asks if you simply want to cease with the conversation and commence hostilities. He is quite sure he would win." said the translator.

Count Aethelstan snarled. "Oh, he is? He can't even speak our language, much less lead an army against a true Saxon!"

"Ha, I can speak your language perfectly fine. Is not the Son of Morcar my Liege?" said Richard de Normandie in perfect English.

The Saxon Count was shocked. He had no idea what to say. "I...I suppose so."

Richard nodded. "Good. Then you should accept that I act in proxy of the greatest ruler of your own family, and renounce your titles to the Dual-Duke of Northumbreland. Along with all claims you may or may not have to any position. In return, I will see you off, alive, with money which would make a peasant jealous. No more, no less. Or, I do still have this." he said, gesturing to his sword.

Count Aethelstan gave a solemn nod. "Fine. I'll do it."
    Last edited by Rabbit55821; April 26, 2016 at 03:13 PM.

Quorum Praeteritum XI
    Early Winter, 1091 AD

The Duke of Northumbreland. No, the Dual-Duke of Northumbreland. And Son of Morcar, Son of Alfgar, Son of Leofric. And soon, maybe even King of England. This is what Thored Leofricson's life revolves around. This is what his life is. This is what he is.

He had been on the sea and in the Holy Lands for nearly five years, much longer then he had ever thought he was. He had left with naught but a few hairs on his chin, and now he returned with long hair that came to his shoulders and a beard that covered everything around his mouth. He might have to cut it, but that was a concern for later.

Thored had returned more mature, but also stressed, tired, and with a hatred for Heathens. But most of all, he was now what his Father had wanted him to be. A strong, proud, and powerful ruler. He enjoyed a power perhaps not held by any ruler of Northumbreland even since King Aelle had ruled the mighty Kingdom of Northumbria.

The Scots feared him, the Irish feared him, the Normans feared him. Even the Saxons feared him. But his own Court was quite another question. Almost everyone in the Court of Northumbreland was lacking much in the way of loyalty, save for the ever loyal Richard de Normandie, and the Blind Marshal, Aldred. He had developed a friendship with Aldred during the Crusades, and had hated to watch him every day as his condition worsened on the sail back to England.

Thored had lead thousands of men to their deaths, and even Eadwig de Greystoc, one of his most loyal worries, had left the Holy Lands, and rebelled against him. The Duke could still remember all those men around him as they died. But the majority did not die of any blade, no. They had died because of starvation. Because Thored, the young man that he once was, had rushed to the Holy Land while his realm was still lacking in stability or funds.

Ah! Perhaps this was the source of his stress? Or maybe it was the blade waiting behind every corner to be plunged into his heart. Or better still, perhaps it was the thought that his wife had made lovers with almost every man in Northumbreland while he was in the Holy Lands watching his men die all around him. He knew that it was wrong, but there was almost a sense of joy when he heard that Osric had died. A son he had never been a part of a creating, nor had he ever seen.

An evil thought? Yes. A justified one? Perhaps.

Thored was broken from his deep thought as a knock came at the door. He looked up. "What is it?" he shouted.

The door opened, and one of his Saxon Guard peaked in. "My lord, a man has arrived asking to serve in your court in an advisory measure."

The Duke was confused. He had not even reached Castle Leofric yet. He had just docked in Cumberland a few days ago. He let out a deep sigh, not a disappointed side, but more of a thoughtful one. He then nodded. "Send him in."

Two Saxon Guard stepped inside and then took their places beside the door as the man entered the room and took a seat. He was obviously much older then Thored. He looked to be in his early fifties. "My lord, Duke Thored, thank you for agreeing to meet with me. As your guard just stated, I wish to serve you as an advisor."

Thored nodded. "Upon what topic, might I ask?"

"My knowledge is quite expansive. I would be able to advise you on a variety of subjects, including, but not limited to, warfare, foreign history, and theology."

Thored grinned. "I suppose that matter lies in the quality of your information, then."

The man gave a short nod. "I can assure you, my information will be quite valuable."

"Then there is some reward that you seek, perhaps?"

"Not really. My wife has left this world, and my son dwells in Southern England. I, personally, do not want for much. Simply the priviledge of advising the Dual-Duke of Northumbreland, and perhaps a place to stay."

The Duke gave thought to the idea. He was suspicious of the man, but what could a man his age really want, especially if what he said about his son and wife was true. Perhaps his intentions were true. "Alright," said Thored with a nod, "I will grant your request. For the current moment, I will one of my Guards show you to a room, and I will send someone to get you when we sent out, which will be in two days time. One final thing though, what's your name."

As the Man he smiled and looked at the Duke, a figure of much importance and influence. "Oh, yes of course. My name is Luke Tempest."
    Last edited by Rabbit55821; April 22, 2016 at 08:09 PM.

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't posted for the past few days, as I've been fairly occupied. I will make a post tomorrow. Which reminds me, I wanted to ask you guys a question: Which do you prefer, the History-Book Style Chapters, based on my gameplay, or the Narrative Chapters in between? And what do you guys think of the plotline developments concerning the Flickering Man (who's identity may soon be revealed...)? It is a little bit to far? I thought it might be, but I'll leave it to you guys.

Anyways, I've now passed 2,000 views, so yippie!

Icon4 Re: Historia Quod Britonum

Alright, so I've talked thought this out, and I'm going to do a reboot. No, not a reboot of the whole AAR. Just a reboot of the previous parts, going back to Chapter IV: Part I, and then Chapter V: Part I and Part II. Ever since I went down the whole conspiracy theory route, it hasn't settled very well with me, and it seems like I may have chosen the wrong crowd for this kinda've story. In general, it's just not the kind of story I wanted to write, and I don't think it's the kind you guys want to read.

Thus I am going to rewrite Chapter IV Part I, and Part I and Part II or Chapter V to adapt a new storyline (which will not enter conspiracy theory land ) and will preserve focus more on my original idea for the story. There will also be several smaller changes to my writing style, mainly being that the "Parts" will now be entitled "Quorum Praeteritum", or Stirred Past, and will be numbered based on how many of those style posts have been made in general in the AAR, rather then based on how many posts of that style have been made between Chapters.

I will also be introducing a new type of post called "Interludes", which will be (in the lore) a part of the Historia Quod Britonum Book that Edwin is writing, like the Chapters, and will basically be small updates on cultural or military traditions and changed, and sometimes just a general overview of what is happening throughout the world. I like these (and hope you guys will to) because it gives me an oppurtunity to explore the ahistorical cultural changes that would happen over time in this kinda've scenario. For example, how would English culture develop without the French influences that appeared after William the Conqueror (William the Usurper) became King of England, or if those influences were only present for a short time? How would certain wars affect military traditions? These give us an opportunity to explore those things.

Finally, the amount of time between posts will probably expand, and Chapters will become more a bi-weekly thing, as I think that may have been part of how I got sidetracked, being rushed to post every day or so (eyes are being rolled, aren't they? ). Well, it will probably seem like more posts compared to my amount of posts this week...but never you mind!

Thank you guys for putting up with me , and I promise I'll make a post shortly!

Edit: I will also be editing the writing style I've been using, such as fonts (Book Antiqua will now be my new standard font. It looks so cool!) and titles will be in Bold and Italics. Finally, the Relicuum and Praesens parts will be titled using roman numerals like the Quorum Praeteritum parts instead of individual titles. This might change in the future, but if that happens I will notify you guys.
    Last edited by Rabbit55821; April 20, 2016 at 09:37 PM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I have been enjoying your updates, I especially enjoyed the twist in the conversation using the translator in part X. It sounds like you have lots of ideas for your reboot. Interludes - to show how society and the military are changing and to illustrate events in the wider world - sound good to me. I can see how expanding the time between posts gives writers more time to think about how your story will develop. Ideally, when writing an AAR, I like to have written a few chapters ahead of the latest published chapter, so that new ideas can be added to chapters which I have written but not posted (although I do not always manage that).

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I have been enjoying your updates, I especially enjoyed the twist in the conversation using the translator in part X. It sounds like you have lots of ideas for your reboot. Interludes - to show how society and the military are changing and to illustrate events in the wider world - sound good to me. I can see how expanding the time between posts gives writers more time to think about how your story will develop. Ideally, when writing an AAR, I like to have written a few chapters ahead of the latest published chapter, so that new ideas can be added to chapters which I have written but not posted (although I do not always manage that).
    Thanks! I've really enjoyed writing my Part IX, X, and XI. And like you said, I now have more time to develop my ideas for the storyline. I think I will take your advise as well, and write a few chapters ahead, and maybe play the game a little bit farther then that. The idea of the interludes came from an AAR called "Homelands" that I was reading, and also stemmed from my interest in the small changes that can be witnessed throughout history.

I think you guys will enjoy the next few posts, so strap in for a notably non-conspiracy theorist (lol) story arc! P.S; Don't expect all questions to be answered, as that is very, very far from the truth

Futurum II
    Early Winter, 2046 AD
    Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

These were the sounds that seemed to be echoing through the small room, as if through a cave so deep that light didn't reach into it. Perhaps the apparent volume of the sound was due to Aiden's involuntary concentration on it, but he couldn't get it out of his head. The last few days had been both joyous relief and utter misery for Aiden Braun.

He often preferred to bury himself in his work rather then interact with other human beings. In what way could human interaction be more interesting then time travel? But this attitude had been with him even before the beginning of the Butterfly Project. He had always been that way, but for understandable reasons.

Aiden was sitting relaxed in a chair in front of the large desk in the middle of the room, which took up most of it. The desk and the room belonged to Nathan Mayer, the Project Leader for the Butterfly Project, and was his personal office. It was significantly more roomy then Aiden's office.

Luke was sitting in a chair parallel to Aiden's, and was notably more nervous then his long-time friend, though Aiden was primarily relaxed because his mind was elsewhere. Luke knew that there could only be one thing Aiden was thinking about; the Butterfly Project. As he looked at his friend, he chuckled as he imagined Aiden's Aunt snapping her fingers in front of his face; "Earth to Aiden, Earth to Aiden," she would say.

Both sat up as the door opened, and Aiden was snapped out of his trance. Nathan Mayer nodded to the two and sit down, which both Aiden and Luke immediately took note of. Nathan was often a much more expressive and conversatible individual.

As Nathan sat down in his chair, it was all the more obvious that something was bothering him, and theories about what it could be began to form in their minds as Nathan set three stacks of papers on top of the desk. Luke shot Aiden a glance, which he responded to with a nod.

"I thought you'd want to be the first to know...we're being decommisioned." said Nathan, his voice solemn and low, nearly a whisper.

Aiden let out a deep sigh, biting his tongue before he said something that would be deemed...inappropriate. Luke, however, had no problem expressing himself. Luke sighed and mumbled a few barely intelligible words, which Aiden could simply tell by the look on Luke's face were cursewords. Luke was very zealous about the Butterfly Project and it's goals, and always had been.

"Why are we being decommisioned all of the sudden? We've been working on this for nearly three years, and the Tempus Rota is complete, and they choose now to cancel it?" asked Luke.

Nathan shook his head. "For the past month or two, the Butterfly Project has become a hot topic on the stage of international politics. The Europa Confederation has been pressuring the Commonwealth to cancel the project for years, and has even been the cause of several delays, as you both know, but now they are threatening military action, along with support from North American Union and Mughalia. The Commonwealth has decided to give in to the Europa Confederation's demands, and the project is to be decommissioned before the beginning of the Second Quarter, 2035."

Aiden sighed. "Is there anything you can do?"

"Not a single thing. Even if the Commonwealth were completely determined to continue on with the project, which I'm not sure it is after the Case of The Commonwealth vs Jonas Whitfield, even I wouldn't tempt the Europa Confederation. I mean, I'll poke around and see if there are any strings I can pull, but my hands are tied."

"What role do we have in the decommissioning?" asked Luke, a look of disappointment and anger plastered across his face.

"Aiden will be helping in the decommisioning due to his extensive knowledge and work on the Butterfly Project, but I don't believe you will be very actively involved, Luke, save for a couple of interviews, some paperwork, and so on. And so you know, Joseph Boulle will be the one managing the decommisioning. He's from the Europa Confederation, and was appointed by representatives from both unions. The decommisioning is being considered to be a Joint National Project, so property registered for use in the Butterfly Project are now national territories of both the Commonwealth and Europa Confederation. I want be the last person you'll here this from, but I thought you would want to know first."

The two friends glanced at each other, their emotions simultaneously very different and exactly the same. They had worked for years on the Butterfly Project, along with dozens of others, and now it had come to an end without even using the Tempus Rota. Neither had seen this coming. Neither had been prepared.

But neither would be prepared for what came next either...
    Last edited by Rabbit55821; May 07, 2016 at 09:27 PM.

Interlude
    State of the World - 1092 AD

In 1092 AD, things seemed to be calming down in England, with the end of the Derby Rebellions, Duke Thored's return to England, and the apparently secure inheritance of King William to Duke Thored. Europe in general, however, was not nearly as stable. In this interlude, I will reflect upon the general state of the world outside of England.

In Ireland:
    Ireland was perhaps one of the most stable regions in Europe, which really isn't a compliment. While Ireland was still fractured into five different realms, those realms being the County of Mide, the Duchy of Munster, the Duchy of Leinster, the Duchy of Connacht, and the Duchy of Ulster, Ireland in general had achieved an odd sort of unity. This unity was primarily brought on by the constant threat of a Northumbrian invasion from the west. However, many believed that this would not last; whether Ireland would be splintered again by internal conflict or a foreign invader was the only question.

In Scotland and the Isles:
    Scotland was literally divided between north and south, much like England, only in a more literal manner. The Duchy of Albany still acted as a sovereign state. Many in the north wished to join the Duchy of Albany in independence, but found themselves largely incapable of doing so, as the King of Scotland, Duncan Dunkeld, had a large demense in both Northern and Southern Scotland. The Isles were also significantly divided, with many wanting independence from a fractured Norway.

In Scandinavia:
    The Scandinavian Kingdom of Norway had fractured, with Magnus Haraldsson Yngling ruling an independent Duchy of Trongdelag (modern terms are often used to refer to the Scandinavian Realms, as the native naming system is often distorted in history due to later events). Norway and Trondelag were waging a brutal war, while the Swedes waited to pick up the pieces of what would remain. The Danes were also waiting patiently to exploit the apparent oppurtunities that laid in wait for them. In the east, the Finnish tribes continued to raid and torment each other, while the Kievans eyed Finland with greedy eyes. The Swedes had also set up a number of settlements in the Baltic, driving out the local tribes, but had still failed in amassing any large resistance due to the feuding between Trondelag and Norway. A large number of Swedish soldiers now served as mercenaries, and it was even said that Finnish mercenaries had begun to serve one of the two Kingdoms. Only time would tell who would become the true King of Norway, or if Sweden and Denmark would swallow up the wartorn Kingdoms.

In Russia:
    Two large Christian powers had formed in Russia; that of Mikhail Rurikovich, Prince of Novgorod-Severesk (and also Prince of Pereyaslavl, Ryazan, Chernigov, and Vladimir-Suzdal) formed, by far, the largest and most unified of the two powers. It was believed that Mikhail would be a hope for a unified Russia, and resistance against the invading Cumans. Rostislav Rurikovich was the second of these two powers, being Prince of Kiev and Novgorod. While his realm was powerful, it was also scattered. There were three significant regions, oftentimes many, many miles apart, that made of the Principality of Kiev-Novgorod, along with several smaller regions. The Cumans also formed a mighty and powerful power, being powerful in their conquests. They ruled almost all of Southern Russia and had begun incursions into Asia Minor.

In Eastern Europe:
    Hungary and Poland were at odds throughout much of this century, with the Byzantine Empire having all but collapsed at the hands of the Seljuks. Bohemia's loyalties often shifted between the two Kingdoms, but it still kept it's attachments to the Holy Roman Empire in case it was needed. The Balkans were still largely divided, however, with many new independent Northern territories as a result of the collapse of the Byzantine Empire and the fall of Constantinople. The Byzantine Empire only held a few minor territories in Asia Minor, with the Seljuks having swept across the Empire at an almost unstoppable rate (though the siege of Constantinople had lasted for over two years).

In Germany and Italy:
    After it's war with France, the Holy Roman Empire was unstable. There were several claimants to the titles King of Italy and King of Burgundy, and support was ammassing for the independence of both. Several counties had rebelled against the Holy Roman Empire, though only three remained independent. Italy (or rather Italy south of Rome) was, at the time, pretty stable, unlike most of Europe. England even held territories in Italy, which became an important port for the English Crusades.

In France:
    Like most of Europe, France was just barely managing to hang on. Several Counts had rebelled against the throne, and factions had formed all throughout France, including some wanting to join the Holy Roman Empire, which would turn the Holy Roman Empire into the Empire of Four Kingdoms.

In Iberia:
    War was on the horizon in Iberia, as the Christians and Muslims both had largely united. There were now only three Christian Realms, although not significantly reduced in size, although all three sought to consume the other. The three Christian realms were as follows; the United Kingdom of Leon and Castille, the Kingdom of Navarra (including the Kingship of Aragon, although not with much of it's land gains), and the Duchy of Barcelona. However, there also only remained three Muslim Realms in Iberia (at least, three of any consequence); the Republic of Cordoba, the Emirate of Toledo (and Zargoza), and the Emirate of Sevilla. The Republic of Cordoba, however, was far more powerful, if not but for one simple reason: the Republic of Cordoba was completely controlled by Abd al-Malik al-Yahwar. He did not have to manage his vassals as with almost every other realm. However, the United Kingdom of Leon and Castille had an advantage over the other realms; an alliance with the Holy Roman Empire. The Republic of Cordoba was the only realm capable of rivalling that, with an alliance with the al-Murabitids, a powerful realm along the northern-western coast of Africa.

Africa and the Middle East:
    The Middle East, or as it was referred to at the time, the Heathen Lands (or Holy Lands, the irony is astounding), had fractured when several realms had separated from the Kingdom of Egypt. This had largely been the cause for the 1st Crusade, with Jerusalem having been ruled by an independent realm. The Egyptians, however, were again on a rise to power, one that could bring them into conflict with the Seljuks. Several others realms existed all along the African coast and Middle East, but most are lost to history.

Well, I do suppose that sums up the World as of 1091. Next we shall return to the history of our great nation.

Alright, my reboot is now completely finished. The AAR will now continue in a more formal fashion. I have a lot of new ideas for the series, and I think you guys will enjoy. And one more thing, if you reread some of the Chapters beforehand, you will notice that Count Thored Leofricson, Count of Derby, has now been renamed Aethelstan Leofricson for the purpose of the AAR. This is as to prevent confusion between the Count and the Duke.

Is Thored's apparent inheritance of the English throne as much of a good thing as it appeared? What effects will the Norwegian Civil War have on the British Isles? Will the apparently united Ireland have a chance to resist Thored? Will Thored take advantage of the division in Scotland? Will the Holy Lands ever be conquered? Why did Luke Tempest come to Northumbrian Court? Who is Luke's son? How is the Tempus Rota apparently used if it's being decommissioned? Find out in...Historia Quod Britonum!

Teaser of things to come...

Hundreds of Odrysian soldiers charged into the battle below, with the Carthaginians hiding behind their Spartan slaves. Dozens of elephants charged into the Odrysian army, killing many times their number. The Odrysians were now engaged in a battle both to their front and their flanks.

12 soldiers stood in formation on the hill above the valley where the Carthaginians and Odrysians did battle, all armored in the style of Hoplites. The end of their spears rested against the ground, while the other tip stood high in the air above their heads. This battle had been coming for years, as both the Odrysians and Carthaginians knew. The Aegean people would never accept a Carthaginian ruler, and the Odrysians had simply been waiting for support in their bid.

Despite the seemingly unfortunate situation for the Odrysians at the present, an Odrysian victory was much more of a reality then the Carthigians believed. Thousands more soldiers lied in wait for the Carthaginians to be drawn into their trap. Even many Spartans, their people being divided between support for their current lords, the Carthaginians and their supposed liberator, the Odrysians, stood with them in wait.

But of course, the woman standing in the middle of that formation of twelve atop the mountain knew how the battle would end. She knew how the battle after that would end. She knew how the war would end. Her ability was one that she would be killed for if it was known. Or at least, they would try to kill her.

Chapter VI
    War of the Witan
    1092 AD - 1095 AD

The Coat of Arms of the House Leofricson

The Derby Rebellions were over, and Thored had returned from the Crusades. Things seemed to be looking bright again in Northumbreland. The Dual-Duke wasn't home for long before it was announced that his wife was pregnant, a joyous announcement for a realm recovering from rebellion and a disastrous Crusade.

It was only a few days later, however, that Marshal Aldred resigned from his position, and was replaced by Adhemar de Toulouse. In March, King William asked Duke Thored to join the Crusade, having recently pledged his forces to the Pope and his Crusade, to which Thored declined without much thought. His experience in the Crusade had had a permanent effect on the Dual-Duke, having seen much death.

The Knights Hospitaller were founded in late March by the Kingdom of Poland, being the first land-owning Crusader Order to be founded, although not the last. The Knights Hospitaller were given the recently conquered City of Tripoli, which had been taken by the Polish only a few months before.

A few months later, Agatha Leofricson left the Northumbrian Court, fleeing farther north to the County of Orkney. Adhemar's wife, Agatha, was then made Chancellor, while their daughter Bregida was made Steward. Thored had become well aquainted with Adhemar, although many were concerned about an Occitan family being given power in the Northumbrian Court. But the relationship did not last long, as Adhemar died a month after his wife and daughter were given positions.

Things were generally peaceful in Northumbreland for the next few months, with the army recovering from it's devestating losses in the Crusade and Thored concentrating on stabilizing his realm. It seemed to be the only time that things had calmed down since the Chaos had occurred. Thored and Blanche even gave birth to a son, Egbert.

King Thored's Personal Coat of Arms

Only a few months short of a year after Adhemar's death, however, King William died of old age. There was a flurry of political activity as the Witenagemot gathered in London. In order to understand what happened next, you have to understand what form the Witan took on in that day.

After William had subjagated England, he had been forced to make numerous concessions to the Anglo-Saxon nobility that remained in England. Before hand, the role of the Witenagemot had fluctuated. However, William reformed the Witenagemot to appease to the Anglo-Saxons into a form reminiscent of the system utilized in the Holy Roman Empire. However, this system would not survive long in Leofricson England.

Now King, Thored moved the capital to Leowic, a city which had sprouted up around Castle Leofric. The "wic" in Leowic was a Anglo-Saxon denotation that expressed that the city was a trading settlement, which it was known for being. A large amount of trade in the north, even in Scotland, went through Leowic. This provided a solid income, though the city was less defend then London. On the note of London, the city was given to Jordan de Normandie, along with the title Count of Essex, which Thored had inherited along with the title King of England.

But soon within 3 months of being crowned, rebellion broke out in England when Humbert de Montfort, Count of Suffolk, and Jordan de Normandie, Duke of Bedford, revolted against Thored. Thored mobilized an army of 5,000 men and lead it down towards the Duchy of Bedford.

Soon, Thored had taken the city of Bedford and was en route to take London. With Winter beginning in earnest and the new year approaching, Thored made haste to London. He arrived in late November, battling with Duke Jordan near the city, both numbering a little over 4,000. This was one of the first times that Thored had fought a fair battle.

King Thored managed to drive out Jordan in early December, despite being severely wounded in battle. However, this was less of a victory for Thored, and more of a tactical retreat by Jordan de Normandie, rallying with 2,000 more soldiers south of London. When Thored heard of Jordan's larger army, he disbanded the Witan and restored the old ways of inheritance, expecting to die. On Christmas Day, Jordan de Normandie attacked Thored with 5,000 against Thored's 4,000. This battle soon became known as the Christmas Slaughter, with 2,000 of Thored's men being slaughtered and a little over three-thousand of Jordan's men being killed.

Thored was forced to flee north, and it seemed that Jordan would be victorious. However, the Duke soon decided to surrender to Thored, on the terms that he lost no titles, land, or many, simply his independence. It was unclear why Jordan surrender, but most were simply happy that he did. The Count of Suffolk also agreed to vassalization under the new King Thored.

But as King Thored marched north, Robert de Beaumont, Count of Leicester, revolted attacked the King as he marched through his lands. King Thored was again met with a superior, with Robert having a force of 2,000, superior to Thored's own 1,000.

As was expected, Thored lost to Robert and was driven into York. Thored then sent a treaty to Robert, allowing Leicester to remain as an independent county and a peace be settled. Thored returned to Leowic in late May, and soon recovered from his wounds. A month later, Thored and Blanche began to expect another child.

But Thored wasn't home to see the baby be born, with Robert de Normandie, the Duke of Normandy and Heir to William. Duke Robert claimed that since King Thored had disbanded the Witan, then Robert was the natural heir to William, as Thored had been crowned King under the Witan, but not under the new system. It was a loose claim, but one that the Duke pressed.

It is important to note that all of the rulers who revolted against King Thored were Normans. This was apparently the result of years of cultural tension between the Anglo-Saxons and the Normans, as many accounts state, and in truth should be obvious as a result of common sense.

Roger de Breteuil, Count of Hereford, also joined the revolt against King Thored. Thored dealt with Roger first, attacking him in late December, 1094, with 3,000 men against Roger's 1,000. King Thored was able to easily defeat Roger, and had taken Hereford by February, 1095 AD. Thored forced Roger to yield all of his titles to Thored, and Henry de Beumont, Count of Warwick, was made Count of Hereford. King Thored now wanted to go home and see the birth of his child, but he could not, as the Normans had already taken initiative and had landed in Dorset.

As King Thored marched south, Blanche gave birth to a daughter named Adelaide. He would not recieve the news, however, for many months. In Mid-April, as Thored marched to Dorset, a force of 250 Hospitallers joined his force, seemingly a reward for Thored's attempts in the 1st Crusade, which had now allowed much of Jerusalem to be retaken, and had also allowed for the Byzantine to retake almost all of their former territory, save for Constantinople, which still held out.

One event to note as King Thored marched south, is the foundation of the Teutonic Order by the Kingdom of Sweden in the Prussian Region. This was considered an effort to counteract Yevstafii the Conqueror's actions, Yevstafii Rurikovich being the Prince of Beloozero and having marched into Finland to drive out the Pagans. The foundation of the Teutonic Order was an attempted statement that the Catholics were still active in the region, and for the Orthodox not to believe that the Catholics weren't paying any attention.

By the time Thored arrived in Dorset, the Normans had left. Having marched so far, however, King Thored decided to sail across the channel and meet Robert in his homelands. And that he did, meeting Robert de Normandie in the Battle of Arques in late September, a fight of 3,000 Normans against Thored's 5,000 men.

Robert was killed during the battle, and the Normans were routed. Robert's Marshal attacked Thored again in November with 2,000 men, but they were again defeated. After the end of the 2nd Battle of Arques, King Thored met with the new Duke of Normandy, Simon de Normandie. It was then agreed that Normandy would remain independent, and King Thored demobilized, returning to his home.

Though the War of the Witan had ended, England would soon see war again.

Relicuum starting year has been edited to 2046 for reasons which will later be apparent.

Edit: Praesens will also now see a post at the beginning and end of each Chapter, and then a whole bunch after the AAR has ended. Relicuum has also been renamed Futurum. I know it seems like these are a lot of changes, but I promise that I've finally finished with my changes for awhile.
    Last edited by Rabbit55821; May 07, 2016 at 09:26 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast