Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Azeroth Total War

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Default Re: Azeroth Total War

Allright I get the idea about the troll crusaders but what about the Centaurs? Would they really deserve a faction? I dont think they are really all that interesting. Would prefer to have them as regular rebel scum and have Grimtotem Clan using their faction slot, cause as I see you only have one tauren faction and since the Grimtotems decided to fight the Orcs it could be interesting to have them included, hmm?

I really had put some thought into the Grimtotem clan before as all they do have a few settlements in Kalimdor like the centaur and so would keep the balance of factions on each continent the same. Would save on modelling as i can redo the Horde tauren models slightly. I'll put some thought and research into it and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrowmere View Post
    I really had put some thought into the Grimtotem clan before as all they do have a few settlements in Kalimdor like the centaur and so would keep the balance of factions on each continent the same. Would save on modelling as i can redo the Horde tauren models slightly. I'll put some thought and research into it and let you know.
    I think the Grimtotems would be a nice addition, not only because they would make interesting enemies, but because they are easily distinguishable from regular tauren due to their appearance and offer visual variety.

If you want models, I suggest checking Call of Warhammer since they already have minotaurs and ask permission.
    That is what they look like there, dunno if you like this model though.

Huh. Yeah, a Warcraft mod should totally happen. Mhm, yes it should. Totally.

A piece of advice, if I may (I was one of the developers of THC's Warcraft mod). If you can't model or you don't find any modelers.. you might as well just forget this idea. This was the singular reason why the other mod failed. No matter how much planning and organisation you have, 2D art, all the boring text work (names, etc), a whole developed map, well laid out and balanced unit rosters, or even if you have lots of people coming here to support and give suggestions and etc. All of that does not matter if you cannot find 3D modelers willing to help.

Btw, since I have some experience and I hated to see the other mod die... if you want I can help with this one. Again.
    Last edited by Sulfurion Blackfyre; April 24, 2016 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulfurion Blackfyre View Post

A piece of advice, if I may (I was one of the developers of THC's Warcraft mod). If you can't model or you don't find any modelers.. you might as well just forget this idea. This was the singular reason why the other mod failed. No matter how much planning and organisation you have, 2D art, all the boring text work (names, etc), a whole developed map, well laid out and balanced unit rosters, or even if you have lots of people coming here to support and give suggestions and etc. All of that does not matter if you cannot find 3D modelers willing to help.

Btw, since I have some experience and I hated to see the other mod die... if you want I can help with this one. Again.

Would this be any help for moddeling ?
    It was posted in the old warcraft mod thread.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1672

Quote Originally Posted by Sulfurion Blackfyre View Post

I agree i can't believe there wasn't a finished warcraft mod and in the end i felt like i had to make one or be part of it.

I'm hoping to learn about modeling and maybe get to the point i could call myself a modeller and do some of the work but i knew i'd always need help. So i'd be very happy to have your help Sulfurion Blackfyre

I am not a modeller though and even though I tried to learn back in the day I never really managed to get the hang of it. What I can help with is all the text work and 2D art, which is what I worked in the other mod. Anything you need regarding that, just tell me.

I agree i can't believe there wasn't a finished warcraft mod and in the end i felt like i had to make one or be part of it.

I'm hoping to learn about modeling and maybe get to the point i could call myself a modeller and do some of the work but i knew i'd always need help. So i'd be very happy to have your help Sulfurion Blackfyre
    Haha, it had seemed strange to me as well seeing how almost every other fantasy setting has some mod of its own.
    Lotr, warhammer, Elder scrolls, game of thrones, and even Legend of Zelda.
    I had expected WoW with its popularity and fanbase would have its own as well.

What if you reach out to popular Total War youtubers ?
    They had made a preview for the recent Lord of the Rings mod for Attila and they could help gather attention for you.
    You could tell them to inform their fanbase that you require modellers and if there are people interested they can help you.
    Last edited by jim501; April 24, 2016 at 05:53 PM.

The Fel Horde is the Horde in Outland with Kargath as the faction leader but under the control of Illidan. It will be an emergent faction that will spawn by the dark portal and surge out into Azeroth. Much like the Mongols do in original Medieval 2. Completely seperate from the Dark Horde or Thrall's Horde. It wont be present at the start but needs to be on the faction list for when it comes in later.

The reason i have all the troll tribes present is due to culture limits so making use of their culture to the max as Trolls were the original humanoid race on Azeroth and Trolls will be like the christians in Medieval 2. The Zandalar tribe will be the Papal faction with King of all Trolls Rastakhan (Pope) and Witch Doctor Council (College of Cardinals) filled by all the other Voodoo factions. Ancestral Reclamation (crusades) can be used on territories with the original options being historical Troll lands like Silvermoon.
    Thinking of Making the Holy Light like Islam with Jihads becoming crusades.
    But the Fel Horde never invades Azeroth. The Burning Legion does, however, and during WoW's timeline (opening of the Dark Portal and again at the Sunwell). You may be trying to save on modelling work, but the Legion is a better choice for a 'Mongol invasion' faction - bigger, scarier and with overpowered units.

And I like the troll factions' presence - they are all regional powers.

Good point pathfinder i don't want the out of outland faction too be overpowered enough to kill everyone but it was the burning legion that was trying to break out at at the dark portal event on wow. I'll think it over like the Grimtotems.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrowmere
    The lettering is good a bit too bright maybe a slightly darker yellow.

That shade is a lot better

Also thought on it and done some research i will be replacing a couple factions.

The Maraudine Clan (Centaurs) will be changed to The Grimtotem Clan. (Separatist tauren)

The Fel Horde (Outlands Orcs) will be changed to The Burning Legion. (Demons, demons everywhere)

Thanks for suggestions guys.

Huh, damn. I'm actually working on the exact same concept as you are, seeing as there are no successful Warcraft mods in the past.

Then why dont you guys join forces, so you can make this mod sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    Then why dont you guys join forces, so you can make this mod sooner.

I would actually love to, but my concept differs greatly in some respects from darrowmeres. I do have a thorough list of the factions units and have written descriptions on them all. If darrowmere will have me, I would love to share my work with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Molochwalker View Post
    I would actually love to, but my concept differs greatly in some respects from darrowmeres. I do have a thorough list of the factions units and have written descriptions on them all. If darrowmere will have me, I would love to share my work with him.
    How does it differ exactly?
    Is it timeline-wise or in some other aspect ?

Hey Molochwalker if you want i can look at your ideas and maybe incorperate them into the mod. I haven't done much work on unit rosters yet so they may be real useful. Feel free to pm me or post here.

Quote Originally Posted by jim501 View Post
    How does it differ exactly?
    Is it timeline-wise or in some other aspect ?
    My inspiration has been perhaps to only truly successful fantasy mod, Third Age Total War.

Namely: Less factions. Quality over quantity. This leaves the possibility open for far more interesting, better and different kinds of factions, with more specialized militaries. With a ton of factions you will either end up with a bunch of carbon copy factions (like in vanilla), or you will end up with a mess of a mod like RoDG. Now I think that RoDG has done an excellent job, visually. The hours of work put behind the modelling is absolutely astonishing. However, it is extremely hard to get into because of the vast numbers of individual units they have incorporated, especially if you are not very Warhammer savvy. I would suggest reducing the number of factions to under 15, leaving the rest as "independent" or "rebel". In TATW there are like 8 or 9 factions, and some of them barely have 10 units, but the game has an immense replay value because each faction is so distinct and well designed. You don't HAVE to meet the 36 (?) faction maximum for it to be an interesting game, believe me.

I know this probably is something that clashes with your vision of what the game should be, Darrowmeres... Which is why I wont share any of my specifics with you just yet. As I said, I have a very thorough concept laid out. This includes factions, sounds, units, buildings, and I have started locating several models/textures for the units. Your map is sublime, and I really want to be a part of your project. Still want me to send you a PM?

Yeah sure go ahead and PM. I get your concerns about Rosters being a little too similar and that might be the case to begin with but i am hoping to give every faction quite a few unique units and have unique feelings.
    When it came to Medieval 2 many factions might have similar feels what with unit rosters but it was the location of the faction and the family tree that gave it difference. For example Stormwind and Stromguarde might have some units in common on their rosters but one will have more territories and be in the south with a High King as their leader and Stromguarde will be in the north with one territory and a risky future and a prince as leader.