Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Azeroth Total War

Default Re: Azeroth Total War

I'll have to look up how to take models straight from WoW and other mods as then i could fill up a lot of factions rosters. Also does somebody know if a unit has to have all the same model types? Can half a unit be male trolls hunched over and half female trolls that stand tall?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrowmere View Post
    I'll have to look up how to take models straight from WoW and other mods as then i could fill up a lot of factions rosters. Also does somebody know if a unit has to have all the same model types? Can half a unit be male trolls hunched over and half female trolls that stand tall?

I think you can have different models.
    In CoW, there was a unit of flamers (demonic beasts), and they had a human as unit leader.
    I dont know if that counts or they had done something different.

Also I would suggest to make all troll models like the Zandalari, standing straight, since that makes them more badass/intimidating and reserve the hunch for witch doctors perhaps or other magic wielding units
    I would suggest the same for orcs as well, since the hunch goes against artwork/lore and makes them kinda underwhelming.

This is merely my take however, it is up to you.

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Darrowmere, I have a sample of the symbols. I know you wanted the Horde (or Durotar actually) to be black on red, but I think this "3d metal" version looks better, more WoWish Id say. These samples are around twice the size what the symbols would be in game - campaign, so there would be very little detail lost.

Still, if you prefer the symbols to be flat and solid colour, then you can have them that way. Just wanted to show you what I think could look better. Also, many symbols (in the lore sources) are often presented with that 3d look as sort of 3d devices over some background, so it's easier to adapt them like that cause when made flat they just look so ... plain. Another thing I'm not sure is what kind of background or shield you want for the symbols, something like I show here or different? I can only say that anything without a fat border/outline is good because it gives more room for the symbol itself. I like round symbols cause they are pretty universal and uniformal, but if you want different, let me know. They can even be different shapes for different factions, though that can get little confusing, dunno.

Tell me what you think about all I said.

I've been want one of these since I've been playing WoW and Warcraft for many years. One thing that I would recommend, seeing as how it may save you a faction slot the High Elf Remnant is more or less just Dalaran and the Kirin tor, as majority who did not become Sin'dorei we're the ones in Dalaran or left and moved there. except ofcourse one or two High Elven Farstrider Lodges. You could easily replace it the Argent Crusade or even the Draenei!

I run an old and large RP guild on WoW and focus on Blood elves and the Horde, so if you have any questions ask me anything cuz I know almost all of the lore

Hey Vladyvid love those symbols and i'd be happy with them all as circles. It might be interesting to have the Alliance factions as one type the Horde as another and all independants are a different type but that's just me being ambitious. The silver horde symbol also helps with the issue of so many factions having similar colours.

Tarenor I must admit the High Elves are a strange choice not to mention nearly extinct but i needed a 6th faction to balance out the Alliance and Horde sides. Obviously there are the Gnomes but they don't own any settlements at WoW vanilla as far as i'm aware unlike the counterpart horde "refugee" race of the Darkspear trolls who have Sej'in and Shadowprey villages.
    Planning to have the Argent Crusade as a knightly order like the templars from medieval 2 but available to almost all races (Would be silly for scourge to have them).
    Draenei arn't on Azeroth at the beginning of Vanilla and i probably wont include them due to the culture limit which i've reached. A shame but you gotta deal with hardcoded limits.

So i've decided to make the Highvale High Elves (Hinterlands ones) the High Elf Remnants that way i can double up the elf culture and justify having it. (All but 1 culture have multiple factions).
    As for as Dalaran that faction will be neutral like in WOTLK so can't be on the Alliance side also as much as Vereesa Windrunner would be a good faction leader her heirs would be her children and High Elves would never follow a half Elf Human. They're far too proud. Also i just like the idea of having more than one choice when picking factions regarding Elves the currently Independant (at vanilla) Blood Elves or the Alliance High Elves.

I have a pretty good knowledge of the warcraft universe but it's always good to have someone incase you don't know something so thanks Tarenor.

Also a little update:

I am currently finishing my university degree so i wont be doing any serious work on this mod for probably the next month and a half but will let you all know when my schedule is freed up and i've started working on this again. I'll still be reading the thread regularly and will respond to questions, suggestions or anything else so feel free to post. Very happy to see lots of people interested in this mod and look forward to getting back to work on it soon. Thanks for stopping by.
    Last edited by Darrowmere; April 13, 2016 at 06:22 PM.

Hey Vladyvid love those symbols and i'd be happy with them all as circles. It might be interesting to have the Alliance factions as one type the Horde as another and all independants are a different type but that's just me being ambitious. The silver horde symbol also helps with the issue of so many factions having similar colours.
    Then I will be making them all round if you say it's fine with you. As for the symbols and factions' colours, I'd say you don't have to have them all in matching colours. Taking the Durotar example, the symbol can be silver over red background, and faction's colours can be red and black. I'd say it's only really relevant if the main colours match, more or less. In vanilla M2TW you have England, Denmark and Poland and they all have red backgrounds for their symbols, but each faction is using a different variation of red for their provinces/borders, or Poland is even given white instead of red as their main colour. No big deal.

Another few symbols concepts:

All looking great the Forsaken in particular is brilliant. Happy to have them all in circles and the wooden buckler background is very nice and links them all. Similar faction colours will be fine the only problem will be Quel' Thalas and the Scarlet Crusade which will have very similar shades of red primary and gold secondary and be close to each other on Azeroth but you'll still be able to see the border lines as they're thicker on a provence bordering another faction. Just a case of trying the colours out on the map when i get there and seeing which feels/looks right. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Darrowmere; April 14, 2016 at 05:00 PM.

I'm confused... shouldn't the Scarlet Crusade be white primary and red secondary rather than red and gold? Or if not white then some shade of grey as primary? I know Stromgarde and Theramore will have some sort of white-ish as primary but can still have variations like (primaries):
    Scarlet Crusade - light grey or ivory grey (mix of grey and light gold)
    Stromgarde - white or pinkish-white
    Theramore - white (they are in Kalimdor so could just have white, wont border Stromgarde or SC anyway most likely)

Well, these are surely just nuances, but if you also make the secondary colours a bit different (eg. dark red for Stromgarde and light red for SC), they should be distinguishable enough.
    Last edited by Vladyvid; April 14, 2016 at 08:37 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    Darrowmere, I have a sample of the symbols. I know you wanted the Horde (or Durotar actually) to be black on red, but I think this "3d metal" version looks better, more WoWish Id say. These samples are around twice the size what the symbols would be in game - campaign, so there would be very little detail lost.

Still, if you prefer the symbols to be flat and solid colour, then you can have them that way. Just wanted to show you what I think could look better. Also, many symbols (in the lore sources) are often presented with that 3d look as sort of 3d devices over some background, so it's easier to adapt them like that cause when made flat they just look so ... plain. Another thing I'm not sure is what kind of background or shield you want for the symbols, something like I show here or different? I can only say that anything without a fat border/outline is good because it gives more room for the symbol itself. I like round symbols cause they are pretty universal and uniformal, but if you want different, let me know. They can even be different shapes for different factions, though that can get little confusing, dunno.

Tell me what you think about all I said.
    Wow! That's really good work you put together there. Wonderful job!

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    I'm confused... shouldn't the Scarlet Crusade be white primary and red secondary rather than red and gold? Or if not white then some shade of grey as primary? I know Stromgarde and Theramore will have some sort of white-ish as primary but can still have variations like (primaries):
    Scarlet Crusade - light grey or ivory grey (mix of grey and light gold)
    Stromgarde - white or pinkish-white
    Theramore - white (they are in Kalimdor so could just have white, wont border Stromgarde or SC anyway most likely)

Well, these are surely just nuances, but if you also make the secondary colours a bit different (eg. dark red for Stromgarde and light red for SC), they should be distinguishable enough.
    Ah yes i got confused for a second there are many versions of the Scarlet Crusade Symbol some being a gold L/C on a red background. But i think the Red L/C on white background is better.

The faction colours shouldn't be too difficult if need be i can invert one or two maybe have Stromguarde as Dark red primary white secondary like you said Poland has.

All looking great the Forsaken in particular is brilliant. Happy to have them all in circles and the wooden buckler background is very nice and links them all. Similar faction colours will be fine the only problem will be Quel' Thalas and the Scarlet Crusade which will have very similar shades of red primary and gold secondary and be close to each other on Azeroth but you'll still be able to see the border lines as they're thicker on a provence bordering another faction. Just a case of trying the colours out on the map when i get there and seeing which feels/looks right. Thanks again.
    I think the Quel'thalas faction is more defined by red/gold mottif than the Scarlet Crusade whose colour primarily consists of white/red.

Furthrmore the Blood Elves made use of the black colour in this period of warcraft so you an also differentiate them more like that.

Here are some screenshots from an old Warcraft mod.
    See if they are to your liking :

Last edited by jim501; April 15, 2016 at 06:54 AM.

Most promising, and good faction symbols! Will Kul Tiras feature somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Karak Norn Clansman View Post
    he wont add them but theramore will be very similar.
    he has a comment about this in the first page explaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Karak Norn Clansman View Post
    Since they don't feature in vanilla WoW (except a few troops in Durotar) i wont be having them as a faction. But the Island will be present and i think i might have Boralus filled with Neutral (slave) Naga that way instead of conquering it factions can liberate it maybe have a special unit of Kul' Tiras marines trainable there for certain factions and Jaina (Theramore) could "rescue" her Brother Tandred Proudmoore and gain him and some units in an event if any Alliance faction takes Boralus.

Since they don't feature in vanilla WoW (except a few troops in Durotar) i wont be having them as a faction. But the Island will be present and i think i might have Boralus filled with Neutral (slave) Naga that way instead of conquering it factions can liberate it maybe have a special unit of Kul' Tiras marines trainable there for certain factions and Jaina (Theramore) could "rescue" her Brother Tandred Proudmoore and gain him and some units in an event if any Alliance faction takes Boralus.
    isnt tandred non-cannon ?

Quote Originally Posted by jim501 View Post
    isnt tandred non-cannon ?
    Yes he's only in a book so the lore on him isn't concrete but a problem i'm having with a lot of factions is they have no heirs and they could all be destroyed in one battle if their faction leader dies. So as much as i want to stick as close to the vanilla WoW i'm having to create some liberties with family trees.

Problems include Lor'thremar and Jaina who have no partner or children.

So for example the Sandfury Tribe Chief Ukorz has no mention of family so the mob next to him in Zul' Farrak Ruuzlu will be his son in this mod.

There is a few mods like the Westeros one where you have more than one family in a faction but you only see the main one in the family tree page and if your Main family dies out another would become the new Dynasty and replace the main on the family tree page and the faction would continue under them. I'll look into this as it might solve the problem and mean i wont have to meddle with the lore very much.

Yes he's only in a book so the lore on him isn't concrete but a problem i'm having with a lot of factions is they have no heirs and they could all be destroyed in one battle if their faction leader dies. So as much as i want to stick as close to the vanilla WoW i'm having to create some liberties with family trees.

Problems include Lor'thremar and Jaina who have no partner or children.

So for example the Sandfury Tribe Chief Ukorz has no mention of family so the mob next to him in Zul' Farrak Ruuzlu will be his son in this mod.

There is a few mods like the Westeros one where you have more than one family in a faction but you only see the main one in the family tree page and if your Main family dies out another would become the new Dynasty and replace the main on the family tree page and the faction would continue under them. I'll look into this as it might solve the problem and mean i wont have to meddle with the lore very much.
    Ah, I see.
    But Jaina has another brother who is cannon so you can use him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jim501 View Post
    Ah, I see.
    But Jaina has another brother who is cannon so you can use him as well.

Derek died in the second war... awks haha

Derek died in the second war... awks haha
    oh, didnt remember that

Those units textures look pretty muddy (probably without proper normal mapping), I woudn't recommend them. Anyways, so early in this mods development I woudn't really worry about units skins, you probably first need to work out all factions rosters, see which factions share units, list all rosters and only then take care of models and textures.