Thread: Azeroth Total War

Default Re: Azeroth Total War

Un'Goro Crater
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Zandalar

Dustwallow Marsh

I have come to the conclusion that the Gnomes should replace the High Elves as a faction and to make both the Gnomes and Darkspear Trolls Horde factions that will need to retake their homelands.
    Last edited by Darrowmere; October 08, 2016 at 08:45 AM.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Impressive progress on the map, mate! +rep

Mapping the world of Azeroth is fun, yes? Seeing this project makes me all nostalgic for my WTW days.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHappyCrusader View Post
    Mapping the world of Azeroth is fun, yes? Seeing this project makes me all nostalgic for my WTW days.
    I had seen that mod a few years back.
    Seemed promising but pity it ended abruptly.

What if you started again fresh this time in this project ?

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Or you could ask him for some of the stuff from his mod. There was a great map there, would save a lot of work. There were some units aswell, quite a lot of stuff.

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quote Originally Posted by Darrowmere View Post
    It's becoming very clear to me i will never please everyone with the faction list and nothing is set in stone yet. That said i'll try and explain best i can my choices for the factions and the details of them.

The main reason for splitting the Alliance and Horde into teams of factions is that two larger factions would have so many territories they would have be able to steamroll their independant enemies. So by splitting the factions up you level the playing field. Here's my detailed run down of the teams:

Alliance:
    Kingdom of Stormwind (Holy Light) High King Varian, Prince Anduin. Stormwind, 6 [Stormwind, Goldshire, Sentinel Hill, Darkshire, Lakeshire, Southshore]
    Kingdom of Khaz Modan (Holy Light) King Magni, Prince Brann. 6 [Ironforge, Khranos, Coldridge, Thelsamar, Menethil Harbour, Bael' Modan]
    Night Elves (Druidism) High Priestess Tyrande, Sentinel General Shandris. 6 [Darnassus, Auberdine, Astrannar, Starfall, Feathermoon, Stonetalon Peak]
    Kingdom of Stromguarde (Holy Light) King Thoras (dead)*, Prince Galen. 1 [Refuge Pointe]
    Nation of Theramore (Enlightenment) Ruler of Theramore Jaina, Lord (None). 2 [Theramore, Northwatch Hold]
    High Elf Remnants (Englishtenment) Ranger General Jalinde, Commander (None). 1 [Quel' Danil]

Horde:
    Nation of Durotar (Shamanism) Warchief Thrall, Overlord (None). 6 [Orgrimmar, Razor Hill, Crossroads, Grom Gol, Kargath, Hammerfall]
    United Tauren Tribes (Druidism) High Chieftan Cairne, Chieftan Baine. 6 [Thunder Bluff, Bloodhoof Village, Taurajo, Freewind Post, Mojache, Sun Rock Retreat]
    Forsaken (Cult of the forgotten shadow) Leader of the Forsaken Slyvannus, Arch Lord Varimathras. 6 [Undercity, Brill, Deathknell, The Sepulcher, Tarren Mill, The Bulwark]
    Darkspear Tribe (Voodoo) Chieftan Vol'Jin, Master (None). 2 [Sen'jin Village, Shadowprey Village]
    Warsong Clan (Shamanism) Chieftan Gargok, Overseer (None). 2 [Warsong Lumber Camp, Splintertree Post]
    Frostwolf Clan (Shamanism) Genral Drek'Thar, Overseer (None). 1 [Alterac]

*Once Stromguarde is retaken the Absent Thoras will be removed and Galen made King.
    Night Elves and Forsaken use The Teutonic method of leader and heir instead of family trees.
    Each Alliance and Horde faction except Night Elves and Darkspear reccive a settlement, unique general and stack in Northrend when the Lich King awakens.

Why can't the minor factions be present? I have a pretty comprehensive faction list on the first page with the minor ally/horde factions and room for many independent factions.
    Lordaeron and the Gnomes wont be factions. Lordaeron is dead by now the only remnants being the Scarlet Crusade. Gnomes have no settlements and will be included on the Khaz Modan unit roster.
    Dalaran isn't an Alliance faction but a neutral one like it is in WOTLK and for making sense on taking lands that belong to other nations historically it doesn't have to make sense it's a total war game you create your own story if you wanted to roleplay you could give the land back to the other factions.

It would be very Warcraft to have them together but i'm aiming for World of Warcraft.

Draenei wont be in this mod for now maybe in the future i will find a way to implement them.
    The Blood Elves will be neutral at the start of the mod and it's comletely upto player discretion what they do with them. Ally to Horde, Alliance or stay neutral.
    The Defias will be present with a large stack in moonbrook and a smaller one in Northshire but unfortunatly not a faction.

The diplomatic relations of certain factions will be set such as Stormwind and the Dark Horde being at war just as all Alliance and Horde races are allied but i can set how much factions like each other. Just because factions are allied doesn't mean they like each other. The Night Elves were still unhappy with their High Elven kin just like all horde factions would be uneasy/unfriendly with the forsaken at the start.

Alterac will belong to the Frostwolf Clan at the start of the mod i had thought about the Syndicate and it's not off the table but as Human enemies go The Scarlet Crusade and Gilneas arn't allied with the Alliance at the start of the game.

Refuge Pointe is the only settlement Stromguarde has at the start of the mod and refuge camps usually hold a lot of people so they still exist as a people they have a small army just outside Stromguarde (They had control of a third of their capital in WoW.) which is controleld by rebel Syndicate and Ogres and will be difficult to retake but the faction is designed to be challenging like other small factions. What comparative factions do you have to Stromguarde?

Southshore was originally a small fishing village before being expanded and inhabited by the Azerothian refugees from the first war and so has strong ties to Stormwind so having them in the Stormwind faction seems very reasonable and Hillsbrad wont be a region as the continent of Lordaeron has many other settlements i needed to fit in.
    I just hope that you will include Northrend and Arthas/the Scourge as a playable faction. They are way cooler than the Forsaken. I rather play as King Arthas and continue where the Frozen Throne ended. That's pretty much vanilla WOW as that came just after. Also, the High Elves were Blood Elves in the end of the Frozen throne - so they should be blood elves in vanilla wow.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Thinking the starting faction list should be:

Kingdom of Stormwind
    Kingdom of Khaz Modan
    Night Elves

Nation of Durotar
    United Tauren Tribes
    Forsaken

The Scarlet Crusade
    The Undead Scourge
    The Dark Iron Empire
    The Dark Horde
    The Drakkari Empire
    Dalaran
    Rebels

13 factions is a more achievable target.

mostly balances out with the continents except Kalimdor. Let me know what you think.
    I'll suggest replacing one faction with the Blood Elves. Even though they weren't playable in vanilla WoW they still existed in that world - as they are in WC3:FT. Always wanted to play as them and the Scourge. I was so disappointed at the units of WTW.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Hey all been without internet for about a week but been able to edit the map so will upload some screenshots later today.

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    Impressive progress on the map, mate! +rep
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheHappyCrusader View Post
    Yeah very enjoyable the only part annoying me is getting the heights in Northrend to work with inland lakes haven't figured out how todo it yet i'll get round to it after azeroth and Kalimdor are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    Or you could ask him for some of the stuff from his mod. There was a great map there, would save a lot of work. There were some units aswell, quite a lot of stuff.
    Also if you any of the files left over from WTW are available and with your permission could they be used on this project? Thanks either way seeing your mod years ago helped inspire me to get this far. +Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    I just hope that you will include Northrend and Arthas/the Scourge as a playable faction. They are way cooler than the Forsaken. I rather play as King Arthas and continue where the Frozen Throne ended. That's pretty much vanilla WOW as that came just after. Also, the High Elves were Blood Elves in the end of the Frozen throne - so they should be blood elves in vanilla wow.
    Vanilla WoW is four years after Frozen Throne so Lich King Arthas and the scourge will be a playable faction in Northrend. Yes i have decieded to replace the High Elves faction with Gnomes and the blood Elves will be present as their own faction under the leadership of Lor'themar.

I'll suggest replacing one faction with the Blood Elves. Even though they weren't playable in vanilla WoW they still existed in that world - as they are in WC3:FT. Always wanted to play as them and the Scourge. I was so disappointed at the units of WTW.
    Blood Elves will be in the post V1.0 release.
    Here's the faction list for post V1.0 as it stands:

Alliance factions:
    The Kingdom of Stormwind (The Light) 6 regions
    The Kingdom of Khaz Modan (The Light) 6 regions
    Night Elves (Druidism) 5 regions
    Meritocracy of Gnomeregan (Intellectualism) 0 regions [Horde faction]
    The Kingdom of Stromgarde (The Light) 1 region
    The Nation of Theramore (Intellectualism) 2 regions

Horde factions:
    The Nation of Durotar (Shamanism) 6 regions
    The United Tauren Tribes (Druidism) 6 regions
    Forsaken (Cult of the Forgotten Shadow) 5 regions
    Darkspear Tribe (Loas) 0 regions [Horde faction]
    Frostwolf Clan (Shamanism) 1 region
    Warsong Clan (Shamanism) 2 regions

Independant factions:
    Wildhammer Clan (Shamanism) 2 regions
    Grimtotem Clan (Shamanism) 3 regions [Nasty Tauren]
    Nazjatar Surfacers (Old Gods) 3 regions [Naga]
    Kingdom of Quel' Thalas (The Light) 3 regions
    The Scarlet Crusade (The Light) 3 regions
    Kingdom of Gilneas (Druidism) 2 regions
    The Dark Iron Empire (Old Gods) 4 regions
    The Dark Horde (Demonic) 5 regions
    The Trade Coalition (Greed) 4 regions [Goblins]
    The Undead Scourge (Cult of the Damned) 5 regions
    Undead of Lordaeron (Cult of the Damned) 5 regions [2nd scourge faction to accurately represent the power of the scourge but avoid overpowering]
    Magocracy of Dalaran (Intellectualism) 4 regions
    The Amani Tribe (Loas) 3 regions
    The Gurubashi Tribe (Loas) 1 region
    The Drakkari Tribe (Loas) 4 regions
    The Farraki Tribe (Loas) 1 region [Tanaris Trolls]
    The Zandalar Tribe (Papal faction for Loas) 1 region
    The Burning Legion (Demonic) 4 regions [Remnants of Legion on Azeroth]
    Neutral Hostile (Old Gods) Lots of regions [Rebel faction]

Hey all been without internet for about a week but been able to edit the map so will upload some screenshots later today.

Thanks

Yeah very enjoyable the only part annoying me is getting the heights in Northrend to work with inland lakes haven't figured out how todo it yet i'll get round to it after azeroth and Kalimdor are done.

Also if you any of the files left over from WTW are available and with your permission could they be used on this project? Thanks either way seeing your mod years ago helped inspire me to get this far. +Rep

Vanilla WoW is four years after Frozen Throne so Lich King Arthas and the scourge will be a playable faction in Northrend. Yes i have decieded to replace the High Elves faction with Gnomes and the blood Elves will be present as their own faction under the leadership of Lor'themar.

Blood Elves will be in the post V1.0 release.
    Here's the faction list for post V1.0 as it stands:

Alliance factions:
    The Kingdom of Stormwind (The Light) 6 regions
    The Kingdom of Khaz Modan (The Light) 6 regions
    Night Elves (Druidism) 5 regions
    Meritocracy of Gnomeregan (Intellectualism) 0 regions [Horde faction]
    The Kingdom of Stromgarde (The Light) 1 region
    The Nation of Theramore (Intellectualism) 2 regions

Horde factions:
    The Nation of Durotar (Shamanism) 6 regions
    The United Tauren Tribes (Druidism) 6 regions
    Forsaken (Cult of the Forgotten Shadow) 5 regions
    Darkspear Tribe (Loas) 0 regions [Horde faction]
    Frostwolf Clan (Shamanism) 1 region
    Warsong Clan (Shamanism) 2 regions

Independant factions:
    Wildhammer Clan (Shamanism) 2 regions
    Grimtotem Clan (Shamanism) 3 regions [Nasty Tauren]
    Nazjatar Surfacers (Old Gods) 3 regions [Naga]
    Kingdom of Quel' Thalas (The Light) 3 regions
    The Scarlet Crusade (The Light) 3 regions
    Kingdom of Gilneas (Druidism) 2 regions
    The Dark Iron Empire (Old Gods) 4 regions
    The Dark Horde (Demonic) 5 regions
    The Trade Coalition (Greed) 4 regions [Goblins]
    The Undead Scourge (Cult of the Damned) 5 regions
    Undead of Lordaeron (Cult of the Damned) 5 regions [2nd scourge faction to accurately represent the power of the scourge but avoid overpowering]
    Magocracy of Dalaran (Intellectualism) 4 regions
    The Amani Tribe (Loas) 3 regions
    The Gurubashi Tribe (Loas) 1 region
    The Drakkari Tribe (Loas) 4 regions
    The Farraki Tribe (Loas) 1 region [Tanaris Trolls]
    The Zandalar Tribe (Papal faction for Loas) 1 region
    The Burning Legion (Demonic) 4 regions [Remnants of Legion on Azeroth]
    Neutral Hostile (Old Gods) Lots of regions [Rebel faction]
    That's a nice list of factions. But you are forgetting Quel'Thalas is pretty much the Blood Elf capital.

- The Havamal

That's a nice list of factions. But you are forgetting Quel'Thalas is pretty much the Blood Elf capital.
    Thanks.

The blood elf faction is Kingdom of Quel'thalas. I'm not fully sure what you mean by your comment. Quel'thalas is the name of their kingdom and their capital is Silvermoon or Silvermoon City.

Thanks.

The blood elf faction is Kingdom of Quel'thalas. I'm not fully sure what you mean by your comment. Quel'thalas is the name of their kingdom and their capital is Silvermoon or Silvermoon City.
    Then i misunderstood your text. I thought that list was the list for the first version- and you said there would be no Blood Elves in that version, therefore i thought Quel'Thalas was the High Elves. And then i mentioned the Blood Elves because the High elves are outdated.

Yes, you are right - i didn't remember Silvermoon.

- The Havamal

The WTW files should still be available on the moddb page. Make use of them if you wish.

Brilliant! Maybe now this mod's development will finally pick up some speed!

I have the sounds of Warcraft 2, Warcraft 2 The Dark Portal, Warcraft 3, Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne and all WOW expansions not counting the newest one. And i know how to implement the music in the game - which i can help with later when it's time. I was going to do that for WTW but lost interest due to the boring faction rosters.

I thought of adding in Warhammer models to replace all the vanilla ones, but didn't have time as i also do work on other mods. But i know how to implement new units too if i really wanted and had the time. I was going to use the epic music from The Frozen Throne and Arthas ascending the Frozen Throne among others.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; October 23, 2016 at 10:05 AM.

- The Havamal

IIRC WTW already had some wow-like models for orcs and humans than could be used for orcish and human factions of this mod. Im not entirely sure but I think there were also trolls and taurens models ready there, so again a big step forward. Anyway, this mod needs people who can work with stuff and make things happen and who are not busy with other mods, because I can see only Darrowmere doing some actual modding and others are more or less researchers? Shame there is so little interest in this mod, judging from the number of views.

I could donate or maybe even adapt some models for this mod, but only after I see some hope for its creation, so far its still in very early stages it seems.

IIRC WTW already had some wow-like models for orcs and humans than could be used for orcish and human factions of this mod. Im not entirely sure but I think there were also trolls and taurens models ready there, so again a big step forward. Anyway, this mod needs people who can work with stuff and make things happen and who are not busy with other mods, because I can see only Darrowmere doing some actual modding and others are more or less researchers? Shame there is so little interest in this mod, judging from the number of views.

I could donate or maybe even adapt some models for this mod, but only after I see some hope for its creation, so far its still in very early stages it seems.
    No, the released version of WTW has no unique WOW-look-alike units. They were lost in a harddrive crash if i am not mistaken.

- The Havamal

Yep, this mod doesnt have the attention others do.
    I think I said in the past but I believe it would be beneficial for Darrowmere to ask from popular total war youtubers (PixelatedApollo, THFEproductions etc.) to advertise his mod, like they did for the in-development Rise of Mordor and perhaps find more team members

I am currently nearing completion on voice and music files for the campaign map. If anyone is interested in having a listen, just let me know.

I'm interested, I must say.

I could help you with moddeling on some units.

I did this Stormwind Footman for fun, it needs some replacements to look good.

PM me.