Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Azeroth Total War

Default Re: Azeroth Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    Those units textures look pretty muddy (probably without proper normal mapping), I woudn't recommend them. Anyways, so early in this mods development I woudn't really worry about units skins, you probably first need to work out all factions rosters, see which factions share units, list all rosters and only then take care of models and textures.
    I mostly linked the units to show how I think the colour motiff of the Scarlet Crusade could be opposed to the Blood Elves.
    Of course it is very early to even speak about unit skins.

"Those units textures look pretty muddy (probably without proper normal mapping),"
    Hmm, are those textures normal for Medieval 2?
    And I dont know about modding so waht would "mapping" be in this case ?

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Hmm, are those textures normal for Medieval 2?
    And I dont know about modding so waht would "mapping" be in this case ?
    All units models (and attachments such as weapons or shields) use a set of 2 textures, where one is the colourful skin seen at first glance (mostly coded as a "diff" texture) and the other is called "normal" texture (normal map filter) and is responsible for giving the illusion of a specific material (metal, cloth, leather etc) and how it reflects light and how it displays shadows. In case of the units pics you posted, it can be clearly seen, especially with the shields (but also with parts of the soldiers textures), that the Scarlet Crusade symbols look somehow distorted. That indicates either the textures are badly made in general, or they lack adjustments in the normal textures because whoever created them have only done the diffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    All units models (and attachments such as weapons or shields) use a set of 2 textures, where one is the colourful skin seen at first glance (mostly coded as a "diff" texture) and the other is called "normal" texture (normal map filter) and is responsible for giving the illusion of a specific material (metal, cloth, leather etc) and how it reflects light and how it displays shadows. In case of the units pics you posted, it can be clearly seen, especially with the shields (but also with parts of the soldiers textures), that the Scarlet Crusade symbols look somehow distorted. That indicates either the textures are badly made in general, or they lack adjustments in the normal textures because whoever created them have only done the diffs.
    Thanks,for the helpful info.

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

I can help out with adding music.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    I can help out with adding music.
    That would be great
    I posted a thread in the mod workshop sound forum a couple days ago.

Basically want to use the old WoW soundtrack from vanilla for the nostalgia value i just don't know the issues with copyright. I know you can have different music for different factions even ones that have the same culture which works for giving Khaz Modan and Stormwind different music. Some music from later WoW expansions might be needed for factions like Gilneas, Quel' Thalas and Dalaran for example.

Really hoping there is no issue with using the music from WoW if it's fine to use it and you want to help with music i can start picking out music for factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrowmere View Post
    That would be great

Basically want to use the old WoW soundtrack from vanilla for the nostalgia value i just don't know the issues with copyright. I know you can have different music for different factions even ones that have the same culture which works for giving Khaz Modan and Stormwind different music. Some music from later WoW expansions might be needed for factions like Gilneas, Quel' Thalas and Dalaran for example.

Really hoping there is no issue with using the music from WoW if it's fine to use it and you want to help with music i can start picking out music for factions.
    I think you can.
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...legal-faq.html

Have you considered adding non-warcraft related music ? (audiomachine, two steps from hell, etc) ?
    Given that you consider them fitting, that is.

That would be great

I think you can.
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...legal-faq.html

Have you considered adding non-warcraft related music ? (audiomachine, two steps from hell, etc) ?
    Given that you consider them fitting, that is.

Hopefully keep to using just the WoW soundtracks theres so much to pick from but if one or two factions need more then i have a couple ideas and will take suggestions when i reach that point. For example the Centaur faction might be a bit slim for music.

Hopefully keep to using just the WoW soundtracks theres so much to pick from but if one or two factions need more then i have a couple ideas and will take suggestions when i reach that point. For example the Centaur faction might be a bit slim for music.
    I see.
    You are thinking of adding centaurs ?
    Arent they going to be hard to implement considering they have limited roster and no regular "infantry" ?

Yeah on the faction list is the Maraudine clan.
    They will be a challenging faction to play but they will just have a wide array of different 'cavalry' types to make up for the lack of infantry that will give advantages and disadvantages. They will have atleast one infantry type unit skeletons. The centaurs practice necormancy so it's lore friendly and this lets them operate in seige battles.

Yeah on the faction list is the Maraudine clan.
    They will be a challenging faction to play but they will just have a wide array of different 'cavalry' types to make up for the lack of infantry that will give advantages and disadvantages. They will have atleast one infantry type unit skeletons. The centaurs practice necormancy so it's lore friendly and this lets them operate in seige battles.
    I didnt know centaurs had necromancers.
    Wowpedia mentions them as a class now that i checked, but I dont remember them .
    At least this solves the siege battle issue.
    Do you consider making them a more skirmishing faction, without many heavy troops but agile , light skirmisehrs ?

There kinda considered outcasts i remember there was a valley filled full of them and their skeletons in vanilla desolace. But outcasts or not they're gonna be in the faction. Very skirmish based archers and casters with some melee. The looks of the WoW centaurs is Mongolian (the human part) pretty much so thats the feeling i'm going for a faction that overwhelms with numbers.

There kinda considered outcasts i remember there was a valley filled full of them and their skeletons in vanilla desolace. But outcasts or not they're gonna be in the faction. Very skirmish based archers and casters with some melee. The looks of the WoW centaurs is Mongolian (the human part) pretty much so thats the feeling i'm going for a faction that overwhelms with numbers.
    Sounds awesome.
    Now that I checked them on Wowpedia, they seem to offer some nice potential units

Didn't see this earlier, but I'll chime in now. Warcraft is a childhood favorite (sadly gone to the dogs), and I have an exhaustive 'wishful thinking' TW proposal I've never cared to share. Basically, rosters for every race, tribe, kind of monster etc. It's huge. I'll share some if you'd like.

Good luck with trying the whole World of Warcraft world (props for no Pandaria), but you'd be FAR, FAR better off focusing on just the First and/or Second Wars. You can include more and larger factions per region and afford to spend time on art and polish. Also think of your sanity.

There's an abortive Med2 mod called Warcraft Total War (see ModDB) and a finished Rome mod called Orcs & Humans Total War if no-one knows the name. Orcs & Humans stops at its namesake though - no artistic, geographic or roster influence past that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
    Didn't see this earlier, but I'll chime in now. Warcraft is a childhood favorite (sadly gone to the dogs), and I have an exhaustive 'wishful thinking' TW proposal I've never cared to share. Basically, rosters for every race, tribe, kind of monster etc. It's huge. I'll share some if you'd like.

Good luck with trying the whole World of Warcraft world (props for no Pandaria), but you'd be FAR, FAR better off focusing on just the First and/or Second Wars. You can include more and larger factions per region and afford to spend time on art and polish. Also think of your sanity.

There's an abortive Med2 mod called Warcraft Total War (see ModDB) and a finished Rome mod called Orcs & Humans Total War if no-one knows the name. Orcs & Humans stops at its namesake though - no artistic, geographic or roster influence past that point.
    Same here, after the Warhammer announcement I started thinking how epic a Warcraft total war would be and had thought some interesting ideas.
    I had asked the same about the era a few pages back, you can check his answer there as to why he chose the wow timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by jim501 View Post
    Same here, after the Warhammer announcement I started thinking how epic a Warcraft total war would be and had thought some interesting ideas.
    I had asked the same about the era a few pages back, you can check his answer there as to why he chose the wow timeline.
    I read it, but he should really reconsider doing all of Azeroth. At the very least you should start such a project small - Call of Warhammer doesn't tackle a whole fantasy world.

Personally I recommend the beginning of the First War through the 'interbellum', ie. the conquest of Khaz Modan. You can include the whole continent of Azeroth - trolls, dwarves, gnomes, humans, orcs. Far more than 30 factions, I've checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
    I read it, but he should really reconsider doing all of Azeroth. At the very least you should start such a project small - Call of Warhammer doesn't tackle a whole fantasy world.

Personally I recommend the beginning of the First War through the 'interbellum', ie. the conquest of Khaz Modan. You can include the whole continent of Azeroth - trolls, dwarves, gnomes, humans, orcs. Far more than 30 factions, I've checked.
    I would prefer an earlier period but OP has settled on WoW, which opens doors for many other factions as well, so it is fine.

Btw, which factions comprise those "30 factions" you thought of ?
    I dont recall so many available factions at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by jim501 View Post
    I would prefer an earlier period but OP has settled on WoW, which opens doors for many other factions as well, so it is fine.

Btw, which factions comprise those "30 factions" you thought of ?
    I dont recall so many available factions at that time.
    You'd have at least these 13 at the start:
    · Khaz Modan
    · Wildhammer Dwarves
    · Dark Iron Dwarves
    · Azeroth
    · Zul’Gurub
    · Skullsplitter Trolls
    · Bloodscalp Trolls
    · The Atal’ai
    · Blackrock Orcs
    · Twilight’s Hammer Orcs
    · Stormreaver Orcs
    · Bleeding Hollow Orcs
    · Frostmane Trolls

Then these debatable Horde factions - when they arrived on Azeroth is unknown. The organisation of the ogres is questionable - they could easily be lumped in with the orc clans in this period.
    · Dragonmaw Orcs
    · Burning Blade Orcs
    · 15-20 ogre clans seen in Azeroth

And quite possibly these factions, depending on when they emerged/arrived/left:
    · Black Tooth Grin Orcs
    · Steamwheedle Goblins
    · Darkspear Trolls
    · Shatterspear Trolls

Mo'grosh Stronghold in Loch Modan is a troll ruin, which might be the former home of either the Firetree or Smolderthorn forest trolls.

You could also include these minor factions:
    · Red Dragonflight
    · Green Dragonflight
    · Titanic Watchers
    · 4+ trogg tribes
    · 4+ gnoll tribes
    · 3+ kobold tribes
    · Human rebellion
    · Doomhammer's rebellion
    · Turok's ogres
    · Frostwolf Orcs
    · 9+ murloc tribes (debatable chronology)
    · Azeroth centaur tribe (from the RPG)
    · Azeroth harpy tribe (from the RPG)

Hey Pathfinder i was an old warcraft and WoW player and not played anything after WOTLK and to be honest i think the lore just got silly after that. Know about the previous warcraft mods as i've been working on this mod for white a while and had a look at what they achived.

I know that it's usually safer to start with a small mod and i like your and Jim's ideas but i want to create this mod just as i thought of it with the whole of Azeroth.

Anyway at the moment i'm still working on the map at the moment.

I know that it's usually safer to start with a small mod and i like your and Jim's ideas but i want to create this mod just as i thought of it with the whole of Azeroth.
    Perhaps the Third War then? You wouldn't need to worry about underwater factions, or factions with no or contested capitals (Gnomeregan, Stromgarde, Dark Irons), and there would be fewer active races and factions.

But if you're dead-set on a vanilla WoW start, I think your faction list would be better off with big, all-encompasing factions like 'The Alliance' and 'The Horde'. There are so many factions, but many are working towards a common victory. Mutually exclusive buildings could be used to make settlements racially unique (dwarven settlement, human settlement, gnomish settlement etc). Prospective neutral factions, like the Wildhammer Clan could be recruited peacefully through scripts.

How about:

1. Alliance (Azeroth, Stromgarde, Lordaeron + Theramore, Kul Tiras, Dalaran, Khaz Modan, gnomes, high elves, outer Gilneas)
    2. New Horde (Durotar, Frostwolf, Warsong orcs, Tauren, Darkspear trolls, Revantusk trolls, Stonemaul ogres)
    3. Dark Horde (Blackrock + Black Tooth Grin orcs, Firetree, Smolderthorn trolls, Firegut, Stonegullet, Spirestone ogres, black dragons)
    4. Sentinels (Night elves, uncorrupted furbolg, wildkin, dryads + keepers, green dragons. Allied with Alliance)
    5. Forsaken (Allied with New Horde)
    6. Quel’Thalas (Blood elves)
    7. Undead Scourge (Undead humans, undead high elves, undead nerubians)
    8. Burning Legion (Legion remnants, satyr, Burning Blade, Argus Wake cults)
    9. Old Gods (Ahn’Qiraj, Twilight’s Hammer cult, Dark Iron dwarves, elementals, faceless ones, corrupted Watchers)
    10. Worgen
    11. Trade Coalition (Goblins)
    12. Scarlet Crusade
    13. Argent Dawn
    14. Zul’Gurub
    15. Zul’Aman
    16. Zul’Drak
    17. Zul’Farrak
    18. Razorfen
    19. Mauradine