Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AD USQUE FIDELIS

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: AD USQUE FIDELIS

Good update, the way that you describe the action involving Uliaris and the backstabber reminds me of the 'bullet time' style of used by some very skilled action movie directors. The Cretan wine sounds good and a pitcher of wine sounds like a large quantity, I hope that Uliaris and his friend aren't going to get themselves in trouble!

♔Old Dragoon♔'s Avatar I'm Your Huckleberry
    Content Emeritus

Sorry for the delays in updated everyone. I will be updating more than likely this coming Sunday!

Content Emeritus

Staggering out of the seedy drinking den Andreas and Uliaris were headed to the harbor master to see if the boat was now ready to set sail as it was supposed to that evening. With potential Persian spies or enemies of Justinian about it was best to arrange for ferries or voyages at the evening hours. Also, the ship that Uliaris wanted to take was not going to be ready until the morrow. In route to the docks as the wine was taking effect, a rather dark and sinister figure stepped out in front of the drunken duo. Uliaris looked up with some senses still alert and recognized the sinister figure that was standing there just smiling with his dark cloak shrouding his body. It was evening hours, and he was at least 10 to 12 paces away from Andreas and Uliaris.

The fiend just stood there staring with a rather sinister looking grin that really got to Uliaris even in a drunken state. Uliaris checked on Andreas, who was not feeling as well as Uliaris for just a moment. When he looked up the sinister looking man was gone and a mist rolled in obscuring the torch lit buildings near the docks. Luckily Uliaris knew these docks well. They were not the imperial ones but the rather seedy ones north called the Harbour of Theodosius. One can slip out unnoticed or pay off the harbor master who was willing to keep his mouth shut for the right price. He was an old sea dog that fought for Rome.

He still had a lot of fight in him, and was more than an acquaintance of Andreas. When the harbor master was informed by Uliaris the condition of Andreas, he made sure that Uliaris’s ship did not leave port until Uliaris and Andreas were on it. Uliaris warned about the mysterious man following them.

As Uliaris was shifting himself he noticed a sealed note tucked in his sword belt. It dawned on him that as he shifted the weight of Andreas to his other side that he had felt a peculiar tug to his belt. As Uliaris removed the sealed note, the mysterious figure returned from the shadows near a torch lit lamp. Uliaris realized that the fiend was the one who spied on him and Juliana posing as a beggar.

Uliaris looked at the seal and was one he was not familiar with. It appeared Armenian in design. Uliaris tore open the seal frantically looking over the note. The note simply read:

“Your secret is safe, and Juliana knows you are not to blame for the wrong done to her. She is sorry to have doubted you, but do not try to come against her father. Theodora sees all!

A"

Uliaris looked up and the fiend was gone. Andreas, was nearly passed out on the bench outside the harbor master’s office. The captain and mates helped get Uliaris and Andreas to their quarters. Uliaris wanted to get many miles from Constantinople.

As the two new friends were preparing to sail from port Empress Theodora was in her chambers thinking of how she had risen from her sordid and obscure past.
    As she was rather proud of her accomplishments thus far, she suddenly did not feel right. She called two close female servants to her side as she lie in bed. She was feeling unusually sick. and was in a state of panic almost immediately as the both servants tried frantically to calm her. Echoes could be heard, though only the empress's guards were posted outside her door, as Theodora was retching uncontrollably.
    Last edited by ♔Old Dragoon♔; May 25, 2018 at 09:42 PM.

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

It is a splendid story OD! I only finished chapter II, but it's mesmerising.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

It's always good to see a new chapter of this.

It's a relief to know that Juliana knows the truth, but Uliaris's chances of a future with Juliana seem small, sadly. And I imagine Andreas is going to wake up with a bit of a headache!

The appearance of the mysterious figure didn't lead to the outcome which I initially expected (which is a good thing)! Good update!

Content Emeritus

Thank you gentlemen for all your comments! @Oggie, glad you are enjoying it old chap, stay tuned and all that!

@Caillagh, yes it is indeed sad, and yes poor Andreas has a hard time putting down the jug once he gets started.

@Alwyn, ahh yes the mysterious figure, and he is rather good at that sort of thing.

Stay tuned for more to come!

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

I have had that feeling you had stated in the last paragraph, though my fears were not so fearsome the next morning. Perhaps the light of a clear day will help Uliaris with her perspective as well. Oh for servants to help steady one's nerves!

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Hi Old Dragoon,

Thanks for this piece, I'm starting out with the prologue, but it's quite good. Just a thing with this sentence:
    Foolishly they charged with undisciplined but over zealous attacks, and easily the veteran parried their blows then sliced open one of the pirate’s backside with his counter strike#

The pirates charge I get that, but the over zealous attacks. Who's doing the over-zealous attack here? Easily = that words makes it sound way too easy - You could just say the Veteran parried their blows.

Just a suggestion.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I shall randomly pop in and interject with another way of looking at the above commented sentence.
    Foolishly they charged with undisciplined but over zealous attacks, and easily the veteran parried their blows then sliced open one of the pirate’s backside with his counter strike

One element that interrupts the flow of the words is 'but', which, given the prior statement, would imply something positive after the negative nature of 'undisciplined'. You could say 'undisciplined but zealous' or something along those lines, if that was the meaning, although I'd imagine what you were going for was something like this:
    Foolishly they charged with undisciplined and overzealous attacks,

'but' in the quoted context implies there is something favorable, as you just noted a negative aspect. There is nothing positive to being overzealous, as the one pirate found out quickly.

The change to and (as well as the merging of 'over zealous') being for the connotations to pair up properly and make for an easier read.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Content Emeritus

San Felipe, I see your point, but I did want to convey that it was very easy for Uliaris to parry their blows. As far as the 'over zealous' attacks it was the pirates mate. I do believe my pronoun usage was correct to link to those said attacks, but we need to go over 'but.'

CommodusIV, I did mean to use but. I do realize that it may be a little awkward, but the point of it was to convey both positive an negative elements of 'overzealous attacks.' Negative elements I believe are rather obvious. Positive side, in regards to fighting, is that overzealous can be dangerous and unpredictable, and the veteran, Uliaris, knew this. His superior training, skill, and confidence would best these pirates. It is kind of like audacity as their are positive and negative elements to that word as well. Yes, generally overzealous is not favorable, but these pirates were fanatics, brutes, and undisciplined. Undisciplined is obviously not positive, and so they had their overzealous attacks that has kept them alive until this point. I may re-evaluate the whole paragraph, but the setup I wanted it to put the reader bang in the middle and figuratively looking around like what in the devil is happening around here.

Thank you both for your input and suggestions!
    Last edited by ♔Old Dragoon♔; June 10, 2018 at 08:45 AM.

Content Emeritus

I will finally have an update mid next week...long overdue!

Content Emeritus

Theodora’s constitution improved as she regained her composure. Her closest servant and confidant remained at her side as the others in the room were dismissed. Theodora gently spoke with tears streaming down her face, “I am with child.” The confidant nodded in agreement. Tears were streaming down her face as her dear servant was trying to comfort her.

The next morning Andreas and Uliaris were well underway to Seleucia Pieria, the port of Antioch. Andreas finally rose with a skull shattering headache as he slowly made it over to Uliaris who was scanning the horizon. Uliaris had a hard time sleeping, and boat voyage never sat well. This voyage was not sitting well with Andreas’s blistering headache either. Uliaris looked over at Andreas and spoke, “You don’t look so well friend! You like you had Poseidon’s revenge...hahhaa. And it is only the first day my friend!” Andreas started to chuckle then gave Uliaris the sign of the phallus (Ancient Roman equivalent to ‘flipping the middle finger). He did look a little sea sick, and rubbed his head as he lumbered over to Uliaris. He then came up to Uliaris and hugged his neck and replied, “I know it is and hopefully you will stay onboard...” Andreas stopped as he knew Uliaris was obviously crushed by the news of Juliana. “Look friend, my heart feels for you, but there is nothing we can do at this moment but hold on to our good memories and hope for better days to come, and purpose in all that we do. Hope and purpose are the keys Uliaris...There is always hope but we must find purpose!” Uliaris quipped back, “What of love?” Andreas responded patting Uliaris on the shoulder, “Love should follow those first two!”

“Well, Andreas normally I would agree with you, but hatred has apparently bested love.”

“How do you mean?”

“Juliana’s father! She has been forbidden to see me, and if I am so much as near her unless for formal gatherings such as what happened at the palace, retribution will follow. I can only imagine what that would be...He punished Juliana in a very horrible manner, that I will not disclose...The captain gave me this letter from that mysterious fellow that we ran into last evening. I thought he only left me one message, but he left this one with captain. He instructed him to give it to me when we were well underway on our journey.”

Andreas spoke softly, “Friend, do not despair...You do not know how this will play out. This is one battle on the war against love. I still believe love will find a way...”

“Love will find a way eh? You sound like a priest...”

“Well you need someone connected to the almighty apparently. He knows the cac of my life. That is why he will get me through this Dara episode, you seem to think I will not be able to handle.”

“Let’s get back to the topic before we discuss your sudden love affair with Dara,” quipped Uliaris.

Andreas rolled his eyes as they both started to laugh.

“Fair enough friend, fair enough,” Andreas began reading the second note Uliaris was given.

“Uliaris, their is still hope from this note my friend! She loves you and that is all that matters. There is always hope!"

"We will see how well your hope sits when you are cleaning cac holes in Dara or getting a good thrashing from one one of your training instructors," grumbled Uliaris.

"You stop that right now! You are sucking the remaining joy of this journey..."

The captain yelled at them, "You two darlings stop your bickering or you both will be scrubbing the decks until you get to port with your tongues!"

Uliaris and Andreas both simultaneously responded, "Yes sir! Apologies captain!"

Nothing peculiar happened on the voyage to Dara of note or worth mentioning except for one rather long conversation between Uliaris and Andreas. While they were sailing, Uliaris asked Andreas about his past and his current state. At first Andreas was reluctant, but decided to tell since he had thought he had a better idea of Uliaris’ past.

Andreas didn’t tell him of his childhood, but started when he was a slave of an owner of a bath house in Constantinople. His master was kind and had been in wars for Rome. After an incident when a adult male patron made an unwanted advance on Andreas. Andreas’s master, kicked the patron out for his behavior. The patron came back with his brother, who had became a medium ranker of the Blue faction and was a former Red. They were going to kill Andreas’s master. His master was a Blue, but he judged anyone by their actions and promptly killed them both where they stood. The deaths were judged legal by witnesses.

This Blue was a man by the name of Paulos. He was a rather rich merchant as well as owner and operator of the bath that Andreas was forced to work at. After the bathhouse incident, Andreas was freed by Paulos. According to Paulos Andreas was so efficient at running the bathhouse, that he was able to run his mercantile business even more efficiently and more money from both businesses. It was a great partnership until Paulos died, and the rival merchant was able to purchase the business as Andreas was not yet full citizen. Paulos had no will and the state absorbed the loose assets minus the structure and facilities.

Andreas nearly lost his head. He had spent ample time with Uliaris’s father and knew that he was in the city. Luck or God brought him to the sordid drinking den and Uliaris. Fortunately for Andreas he was trained in sword and spear by both Uliaris’s father and Paulos.

Uliaris gave Andreas a stern look then withdrew his sword, “What’s your game friend?”

Andreas replied, “What do you mean friend?”

“You May have trained with this Paulos, but my father would not have trained you,” countered Uliaris

“Now, I suggest you tell me what really happened or you will be worse off than a eunuch!”

Andreas had a rather confused look on his face mixed with growing anger. “I have no game friend! Your father taught me in secret, because he would have been reprimanded and possibly even jailed for training not only a former slave, but one with a sordid past as well as being Armenian!” Bellowed Andreas.

Uliaris laughed and lowered his sword and Andreas continued, “Your father called me ‘Brother Andreas’ and was hard as hell on me, but he was fair!”

“Andreas, you are right about two things. My father is hard and he is fair, but I am intrigued as to why he would not tell me,” stated Uliaris.

“Who knows friend? However, I do know that he was helping me to protect myself and to forge a better path, a better way of doing things.”

“Brother Andreas eh?” Uliaris belly laughed as he sheathed his sword. “Did he sing any songs before and after the training session?”

Andreas answered laughing, “Yes, one of his many endearing qualities.”

“Well now we have that sorted, we still have a long journey to Dara,” replied Uliaris.

“Are we there yet?” Andreas mimicking a child.

They both laughed a good Roman laugh.

Last edited by ♔Old Dragoon♔; October 23, 2018 at 06:30 PM.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

A great update! Long overdue?? I think not. If you write a bit for an AAR, a bit for the Tale of the Week, and a bit for creative writing...

It takes about a month to do the cycle even if this is not the central part of TWC for your entertainment. At least that is my excuse and you are free to steal or borrow it as suits you.

On the road to more adventure now that we have sorted out a bit of their relationship relative to Uliaris' father. I wonder if fate will tie them even more together due to that relationship once removed

Content Emeritus

Thank you NorseThing! I like your sentiment! Yes, Uliaris and Andreas's relationship with Uliaris's father is an interesting side story, and a bond that Uliaris realizes that is now between himself and Andreas that sets them on this path of further adventures.

I enjoyed reading about the discovery of the bond between Uliaris and Andreas as well as the hints about the backstory of Andreas. Given all of those reasons for not training Andreas (in that culture), I wonder how Andreas persauded the father of Uliaris to train him, or if the father of Uliaris didn't care about those things.

Content Emeritus

Thank you Alwyn! There is a major reason for the backstory of Andreas as events will unfold shortly in the dream-state past of Uliaris as well as in the present date of the story. I hope to have another update later this week!

Content Emeritus

Expect another update very soon...

Content Emeritus

Chapter 8: Arete (Excellence)

After arriving safely at Dara Uliaris and Andreas reported to Belisarius. Uliaris gave his report delivering the message from Justinian as he was ordered. Belisarius opened it immediately as the imperial wax seal went flying off next a stack of journals in his office. Belisarius blood seemed to boil and he shot Uliaris an irritated look as he tried to be concerned for the general.

“Did you need something Uliaris or are you going to brood over me?”

“No sir, but...”

“But what?!”

“Out with it!”

Yes, sir! Andreas would like to become a Bucellarius...”

“It has already been decided that he will serve Bouzes. He knew him from the baths and requested him as soon as he saw him enter Dara. Talk to Bouzes if you wish, but I advise you to be cautious as he was most adamant in his request.”

Bouzes told Uliaris he would consider his request then ordered him escorted from his quarters as though he was an enemy. Uliaris knew he should have heeded Belisarius’s words.

It was evening and Uliaris went to apologize to Andreas who was not bothered by his new title serving Bouzes. He noticed a strange expression on
    Uliaris’s face.

“What did he really say?”

“To train you the best we could, and above all...do not get caught
    ....Also, your training starts tomorrow, now get some sleep!”

“Why you dirty dog!”

“Get some sleep! That is an order,” said Uliaris while he was praising God for helping his new friend.

The training of Roman recruits at Dara was very effective and efficient. Many of the Bucellarii were involved since they would get an
    extra stipend as well as not having to work on the rebuilding of the defensive walls. The fear of an outright Persian attack was very real as reports were coming back that they were building a massive force to annihilate the Roman army at Dara. Training had become fast and furious. Chorsamantis had been personally training Andreas, in secret. Uliaris was tasked with scouting missions nearly every day due to the Persian threat. It was just a matter of when they would come. Many Romans were scared including most of the soldiers serving Belisarius. This army was not the same breed that served Caesar or even Marcus Aurelius. Belisarius needed a victory that could galvanize his force into a real fighting machine. He needed soldiers willing to go the extra step.

“Who taught you to parry the sword blows like that you phallus grabber?! Don’t tell me Alanus taught you the sword again swine brains or I will shove that pig sticker of yours so far up your arse it will tickle the
    cac you call brains!” Chorsamantis bellowed even louder, “Again!!!”

More determined than ever Andreas parried Chorsamantis’s blows with great skill then
    counter-attacked with such ferocity causing the legendary trainer and warrior to lose his footing and then Andreas moved faster than anyone ever expected, due to his large size, to deliver his victory. Chorsamantis quickly found his footing and he back-handed struck Andreas across the face with his wooden practice sword breaking the bridge of Andreas’s nose. Andreas then vomited out what had remained in his stomach after Chorsamantis thrust his sword into Andreas’s solar plexus. Andreas gasped for air as he collapsed on the ground.

Only a select few k
    new that this training was even taking place. Chorsamantis had requested Andreas to ride along pretending to know the area well. Chorsamantis told him to be a quick study and note everything you see, because the officers may question you.

Draxos spoke up, “Well the Armenian is getting a good taste of it eh?”

“Not a truer word had ever been spoken,” replied Uliaris.

As Uliaris turned he saw what appeared to be a couple of Persian scouts up on the ridge. Arrows were already flying towards them.

“Chorsamantis!!!” Bellowed Uliaris since the fierce Hunnic warrior was the closest to the arrow shots. “Persians on the ridge!” There were about thirty of them.

Chorsamantis, being the legendary warrior he was, did the unthinkable. He ran like a god to his mount without being struck by the arrows, jumped on his mount, reached back retrieving his bow behind his back, and fired three shots at once like the Huns will do when wanting to really pour arrow shots on their enemy. Two of three arrows struck home in their intended targets. The rest of Uliaris and his scouting party tried to keep up with Chorsamantis, but he had already killed two and was working to send a third to the afterlife. There were now twenty Persians to the Romans’ eight. “Draxos, take three riders with you and flank them on their left. The sun will be in their eyes!” Yelled Uliaris as they were riding to help Chorsamantis whilst he unhorsed his third with an arrow straight through his windpipe bursting the surrounding cluster of veins. The Persian lurched forward falling off his horse. Uliaris and a couple of
    bucellarii rode straight to the aid of Chorsamantis. Uliaris was in range and shot an arrow that hit a rider right through his right cheekbone. The Persian charged him with the arrow sticking out at both ends of his face which caused Uliaris to chuckle some. Chorsamantis bellowed, “You need to shoot better than that ‘your anus!”

Uliaris looked at Chorsamantis in disbelief as he was annihilating his foes in close quarters melee and yet still had time to criticize Uliaris’s shot. Uliaris then drove his lance into the Persian, with the arrow sticking through both sides of his face, through his armor and burst the Persian’s heart with a powerful thrust. His horse reared back as Uliaris quickly dodged the flailing hooves of the Persian steed chaos seemed to reign. Uliaris rode to Chorsamantis’s aid whilst spotting Draxos and his three crashing into the Persian rear. Chorsamantis began laughing uncontrollably as blood and gore of the enemy splattered his face and armor. He was now ‘blood drunk’ and the Persians were overcome with panic to the point where the remaining ones tried to flee but were caught in the Roman vice that squeezed the very guts of the Persians until they were sent to
    hades. The few that struggled for breath were silenced save one. This had to be for Andreas’s protection as well as learning where the Persians were without the Persians knowing the strength of the Romans until they got to Dara. Fate favored the Romans as they could have been swept away themselves. Every Roman scout was actually accounted for thanks to Chorsamantis’s quick decision.

Chorsamantis spoke first, “Thank you Uliaris and Draxos for your efforts and relieving me! By the
    gods I am fated to die another time whilst slaughtering the enemy. I thought it was today”. He belly laughed harder than even Andreas could, as everyone marveled at his heroic deeds, while Draxos and Uliaris were bewildered that Chorsamantis actually called them by their given names. “Don’t worry you two will always be ‘dragon shite’ and ‘your anus.’ Haha haha!....”. Chorsamantis took two steps and collapsed face forward. No one knew he was bleeding out from a deep slash to his inner thigh due to the level of gore and blood from the slaughter of the Persians. Only one was captured and placed under the care of Andreas.

Andreas, Draxos, and Uliaris rushed to Chorsamantis’s aid. Draxos was very good at patching wounds as well as taking abuse offered up by Chorsamantis, but they had formed a near father and son bond. Frantically searching for the source of through the muck and gore of Chorsamantis’s leg, he finally found the grizzly wound in the inner right thigh.
    Draxos, knew how to stop the bleeding and keep it from getting infected. He grabbed his kit used herbs and dressings as well as applying pressure. With a flash he had Chorsamantis stitched up and lathered the wound with honey then covered it with a fresh field dressing. “I am sure you enjoyed every minute of that,” sneered Chorsamantis at Draxos. Draxos laughed to himself. “Now someone please help me back on my horse!”

“Of course we will leave you for the carrion birds or the jackals to feast on you if you cannot keep up,” said Uliaris sarcastically.

Chorsamantis sneered at Uliaris and barked, “All right brothers the show is over. Everyone mount up and fall in.”

“Chorsamantis, your heroic deeds will be reported to Belisarius I assure you.”

Andreas helped Uliaris put Chorsamantis back on his horse as he grimaced from the pain.

Staring at his fellow
    bucellarii, Uliaris spoke up again, “Brothers, we leave the dead Persians for the vultures. Draxos take Chorsamantis and the rest of the men with you back to Dara. Andreas, you and I will go scouting to see how close the Persians are from Dara. They cannot be far from here. Of course we will go after we extract information from our prisoner.” Andreas smiled at his prisoner. “Ride men! Ride! If you don’t Chorsamantis will hunt you down from the grave!” Barked Uliaris. Chorsamantis cursed at Uliaris in Hunnic dialect as they hurried for Dara.
    Last edited by ♔Old Dragoon♔; April 06, 2019 at 12:02 AM.

Now that the enemy's scouts have arrived, I wonder how much time is left before their army arrives. Chorsamantis's training method seems harsh, but if it teaches his student to fight as well as Chorsamantis himself does, it will be worth it (I hope)!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast