Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AD USQUE FIDELIS

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: AD USQUE FIDELIS

indeed, it feels realistic You could have him call her Ambrosia (would work better than honey I guess ). Keep up with the good work my friend!
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

♔Old Dragoon♔'s Avatar I'm Your Huckleberry
    Content Emeritus

The next morning 13 January 532 AD, Belisarius was awakened by one of the imperial court messengers, summoned by Emperor Justinian as were most of his court officials and general staff. When Belisarius arrived just before sunrise at the palace, most were also arriving or had already arrived. Particularly of note besides Belisarius, magister militum per Orientem (General of the East), were Emperor Justinian and Empress Theodora, Mundus, Narses, John the Armenian, praetorian prefect Tribonius, and John the Cappadocian. There were other city and imperial officials. The emperor asked everyone to the planning room where a scale model of palace complex and hippodrome with corresponding buildings and streets were laid out. He began very nervously,

"Gentlemen, as you know today's races will be carried out with extra guard and military presence that will hopefully cut any thoughts of rioting at the quick. The extra guard will be stationed at all entrances and exits to and from the Hippodrome as well as the entrance and exit to the imperial box at the Hippodrome and palace grounds. I summoned you all here so, that we all had clear understanding of task at hand. We all have a part in securing this city from unwanted destruction. First and foremost our city and imperial government. You all have your orders and we must see them through. The fate of the empire is at hand. Are there any questions or concerns at this time to what's at hand?"

Belisarius stepped forward, "Sire, the Green's and the Blue's are demanding full pardon for the the two prisoners. I fear they will plot revolt outside the imperial grounds. Is there a plan that your eminence has for this possible scenario?" Loud chatter erupted after Belisarius spoke and the emperor silenced them, "Good Belisarius as you know we have a substantial force now here in Constantinope, and our praetorian prefect, on top of my court's assignments, has doubled his efforts to prevent such actions inside and outside the Hippodrome. What more do we require?" Belisarius responded professionally, "Apologies sire! I am, as you know, looking at every angle that we have covered for any weaknesses that could be exploited purely for security for not only your highnesses but for the imperial city." Justinian replied,"If there is any weakness that could be exploited, by all means inform us so it can be mended."

Belisarius with confidence answered, "Thank you sire! There is but one weakness," pausing as he walked from his position closer to the scale city picking up two pointing sticks then continued walking and as he spoke he struck the Hippodrome and the outer city beyond the imperial sector by the old wall at the same time, "If the conspirators strike inside the Hippodrome and beyond the old walls simultaneously, stirring up the whole of the outer city beyond the imperial sector we will be out of balance and hard pressed to contain and stop the rioters." Mundus spoke up,"You talk as though they are organized and ready to strike, Belisarius please..." Belisarius quickly cut Mundus off, "Mundus, that is because they are! Sire, I implore you to recall Mundus' men and at least one of our fleets back to Constantinople to contain what is to come!" John the Cappadocian nervously interjected, "And what is to come?" Belisarius replied with saddened and burning eyes, "Blood, vengeance, and hell from which this city has never seen! Those two men that did not die from the botched execution at the gallows are a Green and a Blue! They now believe God has shown them the way, and that way is to cast away their differences and unite as a fist and strike!"

Justinian countered, "Belisarius, thank you for your caution, but I feel it is a bit over the top. To recall one of our fleets nearest us would be wise, but the army of Mundus could give cause for the Persians to take advantage and press for opportunity. You act as though we are going to be invaded from within by our citizens acting as they have organized into an army. I don't eliminate all of the caution you have suggested, but united? The Blues would never unite with the Greens! However, we will recall a fleet and order the marines to post as well as the men of your Bucellarii, Belisarius! They all shall post outside the old city walls, but you may keep a guard detachment with you since I require your presence at the Imperial box. Now are we clear on expectations?"

Belisarius relented, "Yes sire, we are clear!" As the leaders dismissed from the imperial session, Belisarius ordered John the Armenian to take command of the Bucellarii and post them according to his wishes. John spoke up,"Sire, I plan on forming up on the Fifth Hill overlooking Petrion and the Golden Horn since they would be our best vantage point." Belisarius agreed with the plan and wished him well. Belisarius then went to gather his detachment for his personal guard who were already at his home near the palace. Antonina came rushing out with great concern, "Beli, what did the emperor want? Was it concerning the races today?" Belisarius quickly replied,"Yes it was, but there is no time for pressing word. Now gather yourself if you wish to accompany me, I am to lead my personal detachment to the Hippodrome now and post at the imperial box before the races begin. So hurry we have to be along very quickly!" Antonina quickly with her attendants gathered what was needed for the long day of chariot racing and was already ready for this grand spectacle right after Belisarius had left for the court meeting. They then with haste headed to the imperial box and made it before the processions of the racing factions and first race started. The emperor was guarded and nervous acting this morning. He was also in turn snapping at everyone who was not first addressed by his excellency.

Justinian saw Belisarius and Antonina arrive at the imperial box greeted them, "Ahh Belisarius and his equisite bride! Today will be particularly exciting since we have 24 rounds of races and the Blues are favored to win again! The procession is about to begin. Now we are ready to begin this day proper! Today honored guests may we announce this day's events!" The emperor sprang back to life amongst the procession of the factions to race at the Hippodrome. Music, fanfare, and exultations of excitement bellowed from the mouth of the circus to the heavens. It truly is the greatest of all spectacles in racing.

The fanfare and music is unequaled including the largest hydraulis (a water organ) one could imagine. The smell of seared meat and bread at these events would make the gods of old jealous. As the Greens marched in with their chariot drivers front and center, the fans of the Greens erupted in all forms of exhortations. This lasted until the Blues came out without there usual elaborate presentation and came out like the Greens before them. Still the crowds of Blues went wild drowning out the Greens. The two racing teams or factions for these chariot racing events were the Blues and the Greens. Usually the teams would field four drivers each round with the championship rounds at the end of the day starting at round 20 through round 24.

Something then did not seem right, because both factions as they walked by the imperial box kept their eyes forward ignoring the emperor. Everyone noticed but said nothing except Belisarius, "Sire, there is going to be trouble did you see that?" Justinian responded, "I did but we must maintain our demeanor and not show concern." "We should block the exits immediately! I can seal them off while the first race is underway," remarked Belisarius.

Justinian rebuked, "No! For God's sake Belisarius it was a slight but there is no evidence of any insurrection that is about to take place! Now, just sit here and enjoy the occasion please!" Belisarius motioned for me to come to him. He handed me a message that he had already written. It stated that as he gives the order when the violence erupts to get the emperor and empress as well as all who remain in the imperial box to the palace with at least three of his personal guard. I then nodded to Belisarius in approval, and repositioned myself back to my post. The racers were then promptly announced and then positioned for the start of the race. Once they were given the starting signal the thunderous roar of the Hippodrome crowd coupled with the chariots was an experience to behold.
    Last edited by ♔Old Dragoon♔; September 17, 2017 at 01:12 AM.

Content Emeritus

The roar was nearly deafening and the chariot horses thundering in unison shook the ground. The laps would be spent by drivers jockeying for the lead and also trying to ram each other into the wall of the spina where the glorious monuments of the ancients were displayed along this center divide of the track. This day the first race, much to the emperors pleasure, went to the Blues. Then a curious thing happened.

The crowd supporting the Greens began gesturing in rude cursing manners as well as shouting curses and insults at the emperor. Also, each race after went to the Greens then Blues and so on. At first the emperor was trying to ignore the crowd, but the insults and curses kept coming after each race. At the end of race 16 the Emperor was not just irritated but furious and began cursing to himself. He had lost a considerable sum and then it finally struck him that the factions were purposely doing this, and at the start of race 17 each chariot driver shouted in unison "Nika! Nika!" The crowd went wild and we few of the guard detail gripped our swords a little tighter.

Belisarius came up to me and spoke,"Something is about to break loose in here, and maybe outside the Hippodrome at about the same time. I know you saw and heard what the drivers did and I want you to know that before race 24 begins something is going to happen. So ready yourself and the rest of your men!" I stood firm and said, "Yes general we saw and heard what they did and we will ready ourselves!" "Good!" responded Belisarius.

The chariot race winning pattern continued like before with the Greens winning race 17 then the Blues winning race 18. Finally race 21 began and all the chariots stayed together and finished as one. The emperor became pale and was very panic stricken. Before race 22 could start, the crowd started their cursing chants at the emperor again, and the chariot drivers ignored the start and road out again as one.

They began chanting "Nika! Nika! Nika!" (An Ancient Greek word for victory or conquer) with raised fists in the air. The crowd minus the imperial box began in unison crying out the same word "Nika!" The chariot drivers then one after the other sped up to the imperial box and unleashed a barrage of plumbatae (large weighted arrow like darts that when thrown always struck with pointed end) at the emperor. Myself and the guard defended the box with our shields silencing the missile attack. However, one of the guard was struck by 2 darts to the throat killing him instantly.

Belisarius saw a member of his guard lunge forward with his spatha to assault the emperor and was stopped by Belisarius' spatha that was thrusted through the backside of the neck of the would be sicarius (Latin word for assassin literally dagger wielder.) After the imperial box was successfully defended, Belisarius yelled, "Now Uliaris!" Myself and the 3 most trusted guard took the emperor and empress from the imperial box exit through the connecting palace corridors back to the great palace with no harm befalling us.

Most of the court and senators in attendance followed as well as most of the guard except for 3 guards, Belisarius, Mundus and Narses. They stayed to defend the only way to the palace that was not yet sealed off. Apparently at least a dozen spectators tried to climb up to the box or from above the roof of the box and swing in only to be slaughtered for their efforts. The three bellowed that all who arrogantly try to get inside the imperial box would be ruthlessly killed. Not one more tried and soon the mass of spectators was like a torrent wave on the poor guards left on the spina (the long center divide decorated with statues and pillars and a obelisk that marked the turning points of both ends of the track). The guards took a few with them before the maddened tidal wave mercilessly swept over them ending their earthly existence.

Angrily the three commanders and guardsmen locked the imperial box doors behind them. Next they headed away from the chaos at the Hippodrome to the palace and regroup for clearer thoughts on how to stop the tidal wave of the angry spectators that were now murdering rioters. As everyone was filtering into the palace Justinian was horribly frightened because he nearly was impaled by a torrent of darts. He ordered everyone of the court into the planning room. Even myself and the other 3 guards with me were ordered in. Justinian called out for Belisarius, Mundus, and Narses. I spoke up at once,"Sire they are still at the imperial box!" Justinian bellowed out in a fit of panic, "No! My best commanders will be slaughtered! You four guards hurry to them and bring them back here! They must not perish! Go! Go!"

As soon as we turned about to exit the three commanders with the remaining guard returned intact and burst through the doors to the planning room. They were covered in the blood of the rioters. Belisarius, spoke up, "The hour is at hand fellow members of the court and council and senators. The rioters are besieging the palace as I speak! I assure you there is another organized effort outside the old walls. I saw smoke rising up from beyond the third hill, before the attack on the emperor, which I deduced that it was the Holy Church of the Apostles being burned as a signal to coordinate the riot in the Hippodrome and in the city."

Everyone looked stunned and even the emperor slumped on his throne with his face in his hands had nothing to add and a awkward silence fell in the room. Finally the emperor looked up trembling and asked, "How much of the palace ground have we lost?" This time Mundus spoke up, "Along with the Hippodrome, we have lost the palace of the prefect and its grounds and buildings, many of its guards and officers have been killed but not without a fight. Many other buildings have been burned around the Hippodrome, and as Belisarius stated the palace is under siege and the riot outside the old walls is unaccounted for as to how much damage is and is currently being done. One thing is for certain, in the sector outside the old walls and that is the Church of the Holy Apostles is burning!"

All were then silent with eyes all fixed on the emperor. He put his head into his hands again in anguish. Belisarius tried to offer help, but the emperor ordered everyone out but Theodora. No one knows what was said but after several minutes the empress bursted out of the room running to her apartment and slammed the doors shut to her private chambers. We could only assume pleasantries were not exchanged. The emperor then screamed at everyone to get out at once and would call for us when needed. We all went to another private meeting room where Belisarius and Mundus took the initiative and plotted strategy of forces to deal with siege of rioters and the riots as a whole.
    Last edited by ♔Old Dragoon♔; September 17, 2017 at 01:22 AM.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Dramatic events indeed! Things seem to be moving at a rapid pace towards complete disaster. I am intrigued to know how it all ended, and what the significance of the coins might be.

Content Emeritus

Thank you Flinn and Caillagh! Yes the next chapter will be big since it will come to a head for the Nika Riots. Those who know the history knows how this ends. Stay tuned the answers will come....I promise!

Content Emeritus

CHAPTER III: THE NIKA RIOTS

They calculated the number of troops at their immediate disposal which was in their right as generals. During this time thankfully we all had are families with us at the palace, as we were permitted, but it was not so fortunate for the regular troops who had families inside Constantinople. Many innocent people including women and children had been killed indiscriminately either by being trampled to death or being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Some whole families were even raped by the wretched rioters. Many had became the essence of evil forgetting all morality that had resided in them. They succumbed to every imaginable sin, and no one or thing in their path mattered. There were so many that to this day no one knows for sure how many were killed during the riots.

Our major problem was that the leadership was at best divided and cutoff from their main body of troops who now had to get behind interim leaders who had never been involved with dealing with a murderous riot. So early on, the Nika Riots were the most dangerous and deadly until the climax at the Hippodrome. The riots raged on, the city burned and the emperor did nothing.
    The sanctuary of Sophia, the baths of Zeuxippus, and the portion of the imperial residence from the propylaea as far as the so-called House of Ares were destroyed by fire. Besides these both the great colonnades which extended as far as the market place which bears the name of Constantine, in addition to many houses of wealthy men and a vast amount of treasure(from History of the Wars: Book I, Procopius) all were destroyed by those barbaric rioters.

Fortunately Belisarius and Mundus got messages to their men and they only sustained minimal losses. Their defenses around the ruined Church of the Holy Apostles, coordinated by John the Armenian, were critical in saving themselves and further destruction in that sector for the last three days. The emperor expelled the remaining senators from the palace, by the fifth day of the riots, fearing they were conspiring against him. The concern was of the three nephews, who were senators as well, of former Emperor Anastasius I. They were Probus, Pompeius, and Hypatius. They could take advantage of the situation and any of them could potentially lay claim to the throne if enough of the populous rallied to them. They claimed to not be plotting such deeds, and begged to remain to help protect their emperor. This seemed to fuel more suspicion in Justinian, and when those words fell on his ears he had the three expelled from the palace immediately. Probus, knowing he may get caught up in the riots as a pretender to the throne fled with his family in secrecy. As a former consul he knew the risk of the situation, and figured he must withdraw for family sake. Pompeius and Hypatius could not be as decisive, and they went to their homes to ponder the situation. At sunrise on the fifth day the leaders of the riots were aware of the status of Pompeius and Hypatius. They sent rioters and armed guards that were of military background or had been trained and had the two dragged to the palace of the prefect for deciding who should now be the people's emperor.

When we thought the worst was over, the morning of the fifth day of the riots a messenger from the conspiring senators came delivered essentially an ultimatum to the emperor. The emperor, empress, and court were all accounted for. "Come forward and present yourself," responded the emperor to the entry of the rebellious senators. "Sire, I am Manuel for the interim senate and the appointed messenger of my colleagues the senate and the people..." "Go on," replied the emperor. "I am here to inform his imperial majesty that all new taxes levied will be repealed at once, the prefect John the Cappadocian as well as quaestor Tribonian must be removed from office at once. Now I must also inform you sire, that to hesitate on these actions will bring even more hardship. We want an answer by end of this day!" Justinian mortified of what was stated before him spoke sternly but clearly with terror in his tone, "And just what would be even more hardship?" The messenger replied with more fervor, "A new emperor will be appointed, and that will not bode well for you my basileus (Greek word for emperor)!" Justinian looked at the messenger and his eyes became fiery with rage and horror simultaneously. The emperor then stood up from his throne and pointed for the messenger to exit and then stated, "If you come back to this room...it will not bode well for you!" The messenger looked unmoved bowed and replied, "As you wish my basileus." He then removed himself promptly from the throne room.

"What is happening out there?!" Screamed Justinian with all his might. Belisarius asked, "Do you really want to know my basileus?" Absolute silence once again fell over the room. The emperor responded with his head down,"I want the truth of it and not words to sweeten my ears!" Everyone of the court participated in this session and agreed that the terms presented by the messenger must be met in order to buy us time until enough of our troops could be in place to silence the rioters for good. The least confident was Emperor Justinian. You could see on his face that he had lost hope when it was not prudent and there was plenty of hope left, but that exchange with the messenger at the throne room had changed the emperor. It was the drop that caused the glass to overflow. Belisarius also informed Justinian that he believed the messenger was withholding information about naming a new emperor. He believed that one had already been named. The emperor without hesitation stood straight up from the throne and went directly to his quarters without telling or looking at anyone as if we were

The rest of court was discussing fervently the situation and no one stopped the emperor, because he was so vexed with the the riots that he could offer nothing inspiring. This was the end of day five of the riots. Belisarius, Mundus, and Narses had hatched a plan that could only be approved by the emperor, but he was not of sound mind and so complicating their efforts. These same men had practically begged the emperor to let them rejoin their forces that were absent their rightful commander to come together united as a fist to smash the riots that were now a rebellion against Justinian and his court. Yet the emperor would not have his greatest and closest commanders sally out of the palace for fear of the rioters slaughtering them. They used their knowledge of the maze of tunnels and passageways to get messages to their forces so there was not a complete breakdown in command.

Regardless, had Justinian handed over full command temporarily to Belisarius the riots would have been stamped out within a day or two. Before the fifth day was over the three commanders Belisarius, Mundus, and Narses along with Empress Theodora met in the war room. A room that was that designated for imperial commanders only.

Theodora opened first, "Gentlemen, thank you for meeting with me in confidence. As you know the emperor is still very vexed over the increased frequency of the riots. What you do not know, and I ask for your complete discretion, is that he is preparing to abdicate the throne in fear of both he and myself being executed by the traitorous senators. They are going to name a new emperor, as you all know, unless he dismisses the prefect and quaestor. I, however, have no intention of letting him do this, and I am also asking you all for your support if Justinian flees despite my pleading otherwise. I also ask for you all to encourage him to be strong and help him regain his confidence. I am...We are at our darkest hour!" Mundus answered first, "My Basilissa, please let me assure you, as I can only speak for myself and my army, that I am in complete agreement with you and will commit all my strength and efforts in helping you defend the Baselius Justinian's and your reign and pledge to help him regain his confidence. For we have a formidable plan that will smash this would be rebellion forever so that we can accomplish what God has for us!"

Belisarius and Narses agreed likewise with their own statements in support of the Basilissa (Greek word for empress) Theodora. They would together save and redeem the empire, but Justinian needed the confidence of his commanders and his empress beyond what he had before the riots. The next move on the latrones (game similar to chess) board was the brains behind the riots fist. The traitorous senators that were stirring and controlling the now fully armed rioters, had now became their army to carry out their will. Narses, myself and two of my best men were tasked with delivering the response of the basileus to those senators in hopes of quelling the riots.

Last edited by ♔Old Dragoon♔; September 17, 2017 at 01:24 AM.

Content Emeritus

When we arrived at the Hippodrome the place inside and outside looked like the biggest drunken festival had occurred while many buildings were burning while even more seemed as though hell was spewing forth its fiery furry. People were sprawled out everywhere in makeshift encampments between the entrances and exits and on the Hippodrome benches. The Imperial box held now as the headquarters for the traitorous senators and the one person who could already be declared their new emperor. That person was Hypatius, one of the nephews of former Emperor Anastasius I. We made our way to the entrance to the imperial box where a guard was posted and we told them we were Imperial messengers of the Baselius and we were escorted to the senators and Hypatius.

The senators were led by Leo (no relation to the late emperors Leo I and II) a particularly headstrong and fervent senator who definitely was looking to advance his station. He was a born leader and assumed the mantle of leading this rabble of all levels from slave to noble. We were then escorted to Leo, and he then opened the exchange, "Well now gentlemen have you an answer to our requests from our esteemed tyrannical Baselius Justinian?" Narses spoke up for our contingent, "We come here baring no ill will toward you or whoever else is involved in this uprising. The emperor simply requests for at least two more days and your requests shall be complete and we can then all have the peace we now seek." Leo started laughing then controlled his outburst, "You think that we the people of Rome will allow you two more days of cheating us in taxes and taking our lands? You tell the emperor to comply by the morning or leave before his head is on a lance!"

Leo continued talking as Narses was reacting to the traitorous slight, "Lastly! Lastly!..." Narses relented and let Leo continue, "The people Narses! The people are with us and want Hypatius as their new basileus, not your corrupt one!"

Narses replied, "I will tell him your response, but let it be known that your victory is fleeting!" Leo smiled and motioned for us to be escorted, and as we were leaving and nearing the Imperial palace Narses turned to me and asked if we were ready for what was to come next. I asked him what could be worse. He stated either civil war with great loss of life, an abdication of our emperor, or something that has never been imagined! We remained silent until we got back to the palace throne to make our report and I pondered on the words spoken by Narses.

The unimagined, and just what would that look like? I came to the conclusion that whatever that would be, I would be involved in some manner, and it would be a bloody mess to the likes I could never fathom.

Narses gave the report to the emperor, and he sat there without uttering a word. The emperor called for John the Cappadocian and Tribonian. They were accused by the rebel senators of unfair laws, taxes, and property seizures. The emperor spoke to them, "I want you both to know that by morning you will be officially dismissed as my key court over laws and taxes, and under guard in new apartments. Essentially they are prison cells, but not as you think. Also, you both will reside only here and will still be at my disposal in an advisory capacity with similar rights and privileges just not in the formal sense. If I need you do do something outside the palace you will be under guard. Think of it as more freelance work. Do you both have anything to share concerning this matter at this time?"

They both replied that they understood and valued their service and continued service to their basileus. They also pledged during this dark time to be even more at the disposal of the basileus. John the Cappadocian spoke up, "Sire, I can speak for both of us concerning our new arrangement. We are very grateful for your faith in our duties and efforts. We both understand the current state of affairs and will tirelessly work to help you make Rome great again!" The emperor stood and grasped their forearm as the new arrangement for John and Tribonian had been agreed upon. We all at court new this was all a show as they would continue doing the work they had been doing just not with the formal title. Now the only question was would Leo and his fellow rebellious senators buy this formal resolution by the basileus, or will they see thru it and propel Hypatius to the office of Basileus?

The next morning at the Hippodrome, we once again strode into the lair of the rebellious wolves to be greeted by Leo and this time Hypatius by his side. Leo was rather arrogant and confident as Narses stepped forward and gave the answer of the basileus. After Narses delivered his message, Leo's faced showed intense anger as he replied, "This was not the agreement! Those two criminal officials were to be banned from returning to Constantinople not imprisoned at the imperial palace where Justinian could still use them! This is an outrage and we the interim senate under my consulship will proclaim Flavius Hypatius I as Rome's new Basileus before this day's end!"

Narses without flinching responded, "The emperor has complied with removing them from office, and the reason for no banishment was to keep them close so they would not be as able to conspire. However, I see compromise is beneath you, and you are determined to prop up this pretender Hypatius. Let me warn you before I depart. You are shaking and poking a rod at lions who will get back and unite their pride. When that happens you will have wished you were never born. When the lions have finished fattening themselves over your sorry lot, the landscape and all around will have forever changed..."

Leo interrupted, "The ever loyal eunuch is not as bright as he looks. You speak of unity and lions when your emperor's and Belisarius' last messages were intercepted and now those men are in our custody. Your precious army will not be notified in time. Justinian and his whore empress will be dead and Hypatius will be welcomed by the people. Then your army will renounce you, Mundus, and Belisarius as traitors to the rightful Basileus Hypatius! Then it will be a matter of time before Hypatius is accepted and the name Justinian scratched from the records. Narses remained calm except for vein on his forehead began twitching as he replied, "First, those men best not be harmed or this blade at my side will dig an orifice out of your throat. Second, you have barely an idea what you are truly up against. Thirdly, you and your gaggle of treasonous senators will soon learn the full price of the path you chose. Lastly, we will see one another soon enough. Make sure you are armed." That exchange concluded the last meeting with the treasonous senators before the final confrontation with the rioters.

When we arrived back at the palace once again Justinian was not in a good state of mind and appeared still very vexed. This was even before Narses approached the throne and gave his report. After he gave his report, Justinian remained silent for what seemed like many minutes but in reality was seconds. Justinian tried to speak but his voice was inaudible. He looked more pale than I ever remembered. With more determination he began addressing those at court, "As you all know I have tried negotiating with the riot leaders and apparently my efforts have failed. I have came to the conclusion that my time as your basileus must come to an end. The people and most of the senate are no longer with me. Also, a soldier from my personal guard tried to kill me. My faithful members of court, you have been through enough and I must abdicate the throne and live in exile at more friendly lands. I have made preparations to leave in the next two days with my wife, a small guard and any court member and their family that wishes to leave with us. That is all for now."

After the address he excused himself to his chambers leaving us all stunned at what just took place. Belisarius, Mundus, and Narses gathered the remaining court members, with the favor of the Basilissa Theodora, and addressed them. They explained to court that the basileu was not himself due to trauma of nearly being killed, the level of violence, and the threat on anyone who was remaining loyal with Basileus Justinian. They continued that he wished no harm to fall on any more loyal citizens, so it would be better to sacrifice the throne of Rome than to hold on to it and witness further destruction and death. Belisarius added, "With that being said, it is our duty to hold strong to our current posts until the appointed time plays out. We need everyone clear of mind and right now to rally behind our Basilissa, because of what we may or may not have to endure. If you know your history then I do not have to spell it out for you all." Belisarius' meant that loyalty is one of the highest forms of honor, but to be tested in the fires of civil war is the greatest test of this virtue. Civil war pits brother against brother, son against father. There is no war more terrible. He believed it was their duty to stop civil war before it got out of control and right now the empress was their only ruler to rally behind.

While this was happening, Justinian and Theodora were in their chambers having the discussion of their lives. Theodora was not going to stand behind the words that Justinian spoke but resolved to stand firm in fighting back against the rioters. She was going to hold up her end of the agreement she made with Belisarius, Mundus, and Narses. Justinian was more than furious. He finally realized for the first time in his marriage with Theodora that she was not in agreement with him, and with that he was in such a state of hopelessness to which no one had ever seen. The burden of rule was bearing down on him worse than any crushing weight. Even as the day came to a close he would not leave his chambers or be swayed to any other course than he had set to flee Constantinople.
    Last edited by ♔Old Dragoon♔; September 17, 2017 at 01:25 AM.

Content Emeritus

By the next morning Theodora was resolved in convincing Justinian to make a stand against the rebellious senators instead of fleeing. All morning Justinian would not listen to valid reasons for staying, and told Theodora that it was time to flee Constantinople across the Bosphorus to Asia and then to Alexandria where conditions would favor the situation for retaking Constantinople and his crown as the one and true Basileus. Justinian reasoned that the odds were stacked against him since Hypatius had more and more support, riots growing daily, and coupled with being a prisoner in his own palace.

Theodora turned to Justinian and said, "I will accompany you to your ship, but I must protest this decision you have made for the both of us and Rome! Justinian please listen to reason..."

Justinian interrupted, "Theodora please! I have considered all possible courses and have weighed them all. The only way to balance the scales against us is to sail to more favorable conditions in Alexandria where we can gather enough support to not only one day balance but tip the scales in our favor. I cannot risk your life in the folly of staying, though we have more than enough strength in military forces, they are divided and scattered about with little intelligence regarding their current status."

Theodora replied angrily, "You, John, and especially Tribonian have brought this shame upon us make no mistake! I would thought you would have enough honor to right this. The reason you claim our forces being so scattered is because of your failure to act. They are not as scattered as you believe if only you would listen to Belisarius, Mundus, and Narses. They have a formidable plan to crush this rebellion. However, you will not listen and choose the easier path."

Justinian determined, "I understand your feelings, but we are in grave danger. Tribonian and his guards have a very fast ship at the Imperial docks waiting for us, so we must not delay! Everything we need is ready and waiting for us! We are leaving with our guard as well as John's and Tribonian's."

"I will follow but remain in protest!...No no no! Listen to reason Justinian and all men with ears! As to the belief that a woman ought not to be daring among men or to assert herself boldly among those who are holding back from fear, I consider that the present crisis most certainly does not permit us to discuss whether the matter should be regarded in this or in some other way. For in the case of those whose interests have come into the greatest danger nothing else seems best except to settle the issue immediately before them in the best possible way. My opinion then is that the present time, above all others, is inopportune for flight, even though it bring safety. For while it is impossible for a man who has seen the light not also to die, for one who has been an emperor it is unendurable to be a fugitive. May I never be separated from this purple, and may I not live that day on which those who meet me shall not address me as mistress. If, now, it is your wish to save yourself, O Emperor, there is no difficulty. For we have much money, and there is the sea, here the boats. However consider whether it will not come about after you have been saved that you would gladly exchange that safety for death. For as for myself, I approve a certain ancient saying that royalty is a good burial-shroud."

Justinian and the members of court that were present looked as if Athena herself had just shot all of them with arrows. All thoughts of flight had been bled out of them by those fiery words from the empress. Everyone at court was ordered back into the throne room for the Basileus had regained his resolve, hope, wit, and willing to stand against the rebel senators. Justinian thanked everyone for their faithfulness and support. He knew that time was at hand and therefore dispensed with any lectures and went straight to the point. "As you all know the formal coronation of the false emperor is in two days. We must strike then and bring these usurpers to justice! Belisarius and Mundus! You may now present your plan concordantly."

After the plan was discussed thoroughly Justinian said, "I would like to have a special coin struck immediately to commemorate our venture to restore our city and empire. On the obverse side I want it to read simply Redemptus, and on the reverse side the Chi Rho." Anyone who was in the room looked as if they were in disbelief at what they just heard from the mouth of their Baselius. His reign up to this point had been marked with one self indulged action after another. Could this be the moment we had hoped and prayed for? Justinian continued, "The time has come to deal with this insurrection appropriately. This coin shall be presented at the Hippodrome by Narses and his men representing God's grace as well as his wrath. The Imperial mint will have them ready by the morning. If they keep the coin as a token of a new start, a redeemed one, then all will be forgiven in the eyes of God and his Baselius. To refuse it will bring dire and immediate consequences! There have already been too many savage deaths from the riots. I pray your actions will bring them to a swift end. Now that is all except for military staff and advisors." Belisarius began, "My Basileus, everything is awaiting your order but first I ask that you allow me a small detachment to gather intelligence so that we can properly assess the strengths and weaknesses of the rebel forces."

Justinian replied, "Yes indeed. That is a brilliant idea." Belisarius continued, "Sire, please take no offense to this, but how long had you planned on using this coin as a means of undermining the rebellion?" "Before I knew that Hypatius was going to be proclaimed emperor. I had the minting process begin immediately so they would be ready for the proper time. I needed to know who was willing to fight it out for real. However, when Hypatius was proclaimed the new emperor, I have to admit I was blinded by fear. That is one of the reasons why I chose to flee Constantinople. Theodora's moving words instilled new purpose in staying and fighting it out with the brave Belisarius, Mundus, and Narses. You all are among my most trusted advisors who stand taller than any leader amongst those rioters. Now here is the coin that we will use to confront the rioters. Many more of these coins will be distributed amongst those who can be swayed back with reason including those senators involved in the revolt." Mundus asked, "Sire, to whom shall we distribute the coins beyond those rebellious senators?"

"If those senators refuse distribute only to the Blues. Remind them I have been their supporter through it all and offer redemption as God offers us through Jesus. Narses, since you have talked with these senators, I must ask you to go back to their lair one more time. Are you ready?" Narses replied, "Yes I am my Basileus! To be sure my agent who infiltrated the senators has been appointed into their personal guards. For his safety and our mission his identity shall remain secret."
    Last edited by ♔Old Dragoon♔; September 17, 2017 at 01:26 AM.

This is a nice retelling of the riots. I confess, though, that what I'm really looking forward to is finding out how this connects with the story about Uliaris, Andreas and Aelia.

Content Emeritus

Thank you! I hope all the readers are enjoying the story. Any critique about it is most welcome.

Caillagh, your answers will come in due time

Content Emeritus

Aelia interjected, "Thus far your riveting account of the riots have been very intriguing, but as I am sure you know that your account differs somewhat from the official account by the great historian and now judge Procopius (once personal secretary and historian assigned to Belisarius through most of his career until he may have been appointed judge over Belisarius' trial)?" Uliaris replied, "You do know that everything recorded must be approved before the people are allowed to see the final product?"

"And you know that we must sift through layers of refuse to find a pearl?" retorted Aelia

"Indeeed we do, and I gather you are an expert in that field as well? quipped Uliaris.

Aelia chuckled and responded, "You are right Andreas he does have a brain! Now please continue as we may very well uncover a hidden gem we can use!"

"As I was saying about the hidden imperial agent..." Narses continued, "The information he has divulged to us is invaluable. They will be having a formal crowning of Hypatius in two days. We know how the security for the Hippodrome will be laid out. We also more importantly finally have found out who the traitor is among us that has thwarted our efforts at communicating with our forces outside the palace. This traitor will be revealed soon enough. Now this is our best opportunity to strike with all the fish in the barrel." The traitor was a fellow guardsman by the name of Romanos. He was very seasoned veteran, but became more and more disillusioned with Justinian especially after he seized his father's estate and threw him in prison saying that he embezzled state funds without a shred of evidence other than a confession beaten out of him. Unfortunately this had been the way of things until the riots. However, we swore to protect the office of emperor and his court and the empire. Thus judgement and punishment was the only course for Romanos.

That evening Belisarius and a small squad went out to scout out the Hippodrome to see what the situation was like. Adjacent to the Hippodrome and still part of the palace complex was a gate to one of the entrances into the Hippodrome with guards who were employed by the emperor. They refused to let us in so we had to find another way. I went back to the gate alone with my torque that was given by the senators I behalf of Hypatius.

Andreas interrupted, "You were the spy working as a double agent? That is unbelievable! I did not see that coming!" "I know but it is true nevertheless! I was the only guardsmen they trusted and so I was chosen. Infiltration was rather easy since the senators forces were lacking in skilled veterans and were willing to take the chance and employ me because of my combat skills. After Narses told senator Leo that he had better be armed the next time they met, it was not that difficult to become employed by them. They, however, demanded I prove my loyalty. So Narses and I hatched a plan to flush out any more traitors from our own ranks unknown to the senators and give them false misleading messages, so when they were captured by me I informed the senators that these men were trying to save their own skin with their pleadings that they were rebelling against Justinian. Narses had also promoted them to imperial court guards and they wore their uniforms When Leo told Narses about the capture of the messengers he played his part perfectly securing Leo's trust in me.

Leo and the rest of the rebellious senate thought our messages to our men outside the palace were not getting through. Our correspondence had not been halted, but only made slightly more complicated due to having to rely on relays and altered routes in our catacomb networks. Routes that only we knew. Leo and his senate had severely miscalculated and were about to feel the wrath of vengeance.

Last edited by ♔Old Dragoon♔; September 17, 2017 at 01:26 AM.

Content Emeritus

Aelia spoke up again, "I thought another senator named Origenes tried to sway the senate and rioters into taking a more cautious approach in dealing with the emperor, that would ebb away at his power more than an all out battle for supremacy by marching on the Hippodrome and attacking the Imperial Great Palace?" Uliaris replied, "He did deliver such a speech from what Procopius gathered but myself and others were did not witness such event. Regardless it did not sway the masses or Hypatius from not rushing into to declaring him the new emperor.. The words from Procopius were this...

But Origenes, a man of the senate, came forward and spoke as follows: "Fellow Romans, it is impossible that the situation which is upon us be solved in any way except by war. Now war and royal power are agreed to be the greatest of all things in the world. But when action involves great issues, it refuses to be brought to a successful conclusion by the brief crisis of a moment, but this is accomplished only by wisdom of thought and energy of action, which men display for a length of time. Therefore if we should go out against the enemy, our cause will hang in the balance, and we shall be taking a risk which will decide everything in a brief space of time; and, as regards the consequences of such action, we shall either fall down and worship Fortune or reproach her altogether. For those things whose issue is most quickly decided, fall, as a rule, under the sway of fortune. But if we handle the present situation more deliberately, not even if we wish shall we be able to take Justinian in the palace, but he will very speedily be thankful if he is allowed to flee; for authority which is ignored always loses its power, since its strength ebbs away with each day. Moreover we have other palaces, both Placillianae and the palace named from Helen, which this emperor should make his headquarters and from there he should carry on the war and attend to the ordering of all other matters in the best possible way." So spoke Origenes. But the rest, as a crowd is accustomed to do, insisted more excitedly and thought that the present moment was opportune, and not least of all Hypatius (for it was fated that evil should befall him) bade them lead the way to the Hippodrome. But some say that he came there purposely, being well-disposed toward the emperor.

Aelia said, "Yes, that was the speech that I was told about and did not know or if you had forgotten that Origenes was involved as well and had spoken before the riotous crowd and other senators. Apologies again for interrupting."

"It is alright Aelia, but I was going to mention Origenes after I had found out while I had infiltrated the rebellious senators and their efforts to form an army," retorted Uliaris.

Last edited by ♔Old Dragoon♔; September 17, 2017 at 01:27 AM.

Content Emeritus

Uliaris continued with his account of the riots, "As I was saying, I made it into the Hippodrome to meet with Leo who of course wanted to know what was going on at court. They did not know that Justinian had not left the city nor was he now resolved in fabricating their demise. He asked if Justinian had fled. I told him that Justinian's whereabouts were not known presently but Theodora was still at the palace..."

I also told Leo and the senate that court had been in chaos since no one could locate Justinian, with the only officials trying to restore order were Belisarius, Mundus, and Narses along with Theodora. Belisarius was back making his report to Justinian that he was unable to infiltrate the Hippodrome, but after the court was dismissed he privately told the Basileus I would have a most important report when I returned hopefully still unseen.

Before I slipped back to the Imperial Great Palace the council of senators informed me that I would be needed the next couple of days all day. They reminded me of the formal coronation and presentation at the Imperial box at the Hippodrome. This is to show off Hypatius to the public so that they would embrace him as the new emperor. It was also to seal Justinian's and Theodora's fate. They would be then be brought to a show trial at the Hippodrome then properly executed in front of the crowd. However, the balance would be tipped in Justinian's favor after I gave my report to the imperial war council.

The imperial general staff was now waiting my return this evening. I re-entered the palace after ensuring I was not followed. I did not want any trouble this evening. I sensed I would need all my wits and strength the next day. As I entered the chambers I was warmly received and the emperor seemed even less vexed now and offering much more to the table. He was strategizing with his commanders when he asked me for my report. I told them the order of things for tomorrow's events that after two races and much fanfare Hypatius would be officially crowned and that we should strike right then while all the jackals are cornered. I told them that I will be in prime position to abduct Hypatius.

They agreed and at both main gates of the Hippodrome. Mundus and Belisarius would wait for the right time to strike after Narses enters with his guard to sway anyone who might be moved by Justinian's symbolic gesture for redemption by taking a gold coin. We figured more Blues would be swayed, so the council reasoned that it would be more prudent to concentrate on swaying them than the Greens, who have had a longer record of bitter hatred of Justinian.

Narses would be literally holding the bag and overseeing who the scales would favor. Would the balance shift back to Justinian? That was the question on all our minds for many city militia had no loyalty either way. Most waited for some skirmish or pitched battle and would decide their allegiance on the outcome. The morning came slowly as if time was slowing down. I have been in battle, but this would be different. As Narses stated it would be the "unimagined." I also realized that many families that had survived the riots would be touched by death himself this day. Fathers would be without sons, and sons would be without fathers as well mothers and daughters. Hopes and dreams of parents would be denied them as well as children yearning for more time spent with their beloved parents. I am told that this feels like a second death. I know this can occur in regular warfare but that is usually during sieges. When riots occur it is often unclear who is friend or foe, and this one was greater than any other before or since.

I tried to prepare myself for what was about to come. I will tell you that no thought could calm myself other than experience. My experience in such duties that I was asked by emperor and commanders kept me alive to fulfill my mission. I had never experienced a riot of this proportion, so I had no course but let my training take over. I soon took my place by Leo and Hypatius. I was allowed to to be equipped with my sword since Leo and his senate band had complete trust in my service and had no suspicion of my in coming treachery. I also was the commander of their guard detachment at the Imperial box. One of the hardest things in any mission is the wait. You do not want the fighting to come, but the wait is as if time has slowed down and the minutes felt like hours. It felt like the god of war was tormenting you, and like a torrent the fighting and all that follows would rage upon you.

The blast of the trumpets for the procession before the two races jolted me with surprise. I was on edge one could say. Luckily it was unnoticed due the roar and excitement of the crowd. Flanking the box where Leo stood with outstretched arms, were the Blues to his right and the Greens to his left. These were the political and noble leaders representing the populous on the other side of Hippodrome. In all there were over 60,000 in attendance.

The signal for our mission was the opening statements from Leo. The position of the Imperial box and the Hippodrome provided very good natural acoustics. This is one of the reasons it was the choice spot for major social and political events, and our signal. The other was the size of the Hippodrome. No other structure besides the Circus Maximus in Rome could hold so many spectators. We also thought if the main insurgents were all inside and could lock them in, we would deal this treachery its death blow.

Thus when Leo began speaking followed by the roar of the crowd, it certainly would not be hard hear the signal for the forces of Belisarius, Narses, and Mundus to get to their positions. I did not listen to one word Leo said that day due to my concern of ensuring my part in the plan went flawlessly, hence my mind was anticipating my cue. After the first race my mind raced wondering if the three generals would be in place when my it was my time. Everything hinged on all of us being at our assigned points. My target as mentioned earlier was Hypatius, but also anyone else in the Imperial box was at my discretion. Race number two started without any problems and the players for the mock coronation of Hypatius were getting into position as the second race was winding down to its end. When the race finally ended, from my position, I could see Narses at the gate entrance and exit with his bags of coins ready to enter the section designated for the Blues.
    Last edited by ♔Old Dragoon♔; September 17, 2017 at 01:27 AM.

Content Emeritus

Chapter IV: Charon's Obol (Coins for the Boatman)

The pageantry for the coronation started immediately after the race concluded, and it was most impressive despite the riots, fires, and the current Imperial government besieged in the nearby palace. The music was inspiring as well. Do not mistake this praise in intentions other than truth. Hypatius, however, did not look so good. He look terrified and rightfully so. The soon to be coronated pretender nor anyone else knew what was about to happen. During the height of the fanfare and parading around of banners and various newly recruited guard detachments and officials that were not present in the Imperial box, Narses was no longer at the Blue section entrance but talking to various Blue leaders.

My understanding to what he said was, "I have not come up here to beg for you all to stop this rebellion or to even beg for you to come back to the side of your Baselius..." Great grumblings began, due to all the misfortunes Justinian had brought on them, but Narses got them listen again. "However, I ask of you as a fellow Roman citizens to consider the fate of the Empire and your families if this rebellion becomes civil war. Now you do not have to be a scholar to understand the possible outcomes. You all come from honorable families and you all have offered your services for the glory of Rome. Have I not stood in support of the Blues and stood and served beside many of you? I know times have been tough, but has not your emperor always supported the Blues?" One stood up and said, "Has the honorable basileus not confiscated the majority of our lands for funding his extravagant living instead of his supposed re-conquest of Rome and former glorious empire?"

Narses without batting an eye replied, "I know you all feel robbed, but the price of the freedoms we enjoy, the sophistication and beauty of our city being the light of the world comes at a high price. The Hagia Sophia that was recently burned will be restored beyond what we can possibly imagine ushering in a new era if you all will not take up arms against our divine providence. The emperor had a special token of his not just apology, but outstretched hand to unite not just the Blues but anyone willing to forge something bigger than any of us including our Basileus. All you have to do is take this coin, leave the Hippodrome when the pretend crown is raised above Hypatius' head, and meet back here in two days time. Keep this coin on your person at all times. Remember that this pretender Hypatius is and always will be a Green, and that your Basileus is and forever shall be a Blue!" The bag of gold coins were distributed amongst the Blues with some reluctance, then one of the Blue leaders snatched it up and asked for the other leaders to discuss their options. The one holding the bag told the others who already had their coin to stay seated until their parley had concluded. The man with the bag of coins started hotly discussing his outrage toward the comments of Narses and the coins. He thought they meant life or death. That man's name was Marcus and he protested, "Do you all not see through this bribe! The emperor has not changed one mark nor will he ever. Liberty and freedom mean nothing to him. He seeks not to protect and fight for the people, but to further take from us including our lives!"

Another Blue stood up and spoke, "Marcus, no one is beyond redemption or hope. Our Lord Christ died so that we could have that! Our emperor has wronged us, but have we not also done wrong to others? Have we not wanted, before this insurrection, the emperor to be the leader we had hoped for. We have done a great wrong, but our basileus has reached across the table to us with this pure gold coin that bares not his likeness but the promise from our heavenly Lord, redemption. We just have to claim it and keep it..." Some grumblings continued and Marcus countered, "A noble effort Annius, but you have conveniently forgot the fact that if we choose not to accept the coin we have condemned our selves to be executed. Where is the liberty in that?" Annius replied, "It is either black or white. There is no grey. The choice is beside the point. You are either for him or against, so there is choice that is not corruptible. You may still choose to remain in the grey, but not me! Now pass the coins out. If you are with Marcus do not take the coin! If you believe as I then take your coin and let us leave from this place and come back here in two days as Narses asked of us!" Narses interjected, "Remember the signal is the crown above Hypatius' head!"

Narses tried the same efforts with the Green section with virtually no success. At one point it seemed as if Narses would be taken hostage by the mob of angry Greens. Two brave Greens stood up for his right to parley. He was released and escorted back to the Blue section by those same Greens and they turned with the Blues and waited for the signal. Quite a sight it was. Everyone was waiting for the moment as Leo held the newly fashioned crown. He held it up first so everyone in the Hippodrome could see it. Again the feeling of time slowing down occurred when Leo lowered the crown and moved to the left of Hypatius giving him the position of honor. The crowd remained eerily still and quiet as Leo raised the crown over Hypatius' head. That moment, as I said earlier, seemed suspended in time, but was shattered when the Blues stood up and walked out of the Hippodrome with the exception of just a few who stayed behind. The two Greens who turned with the Blues left with Narses.

The whole Green section stood up stunned and jeering the Blues for their apparent betrayal. After the crown was placed on Hypatius' head, he also stood up to see what all the commotion was about. When he saw the Greens reacting to the Blues leaving and the empty section where the Blues were Hypatius dropped onto his pretender throne and his face went pale. He had to have known, at that moment, what would follow.

Leo's countenance changed as well, the roar of displeased crowd and Greens drowned out the conclusion of the ceremony and many decided to chase after the fleeing Blues, but they soon found all the gates had been locked. The guards were either dead or pledged their allegiance back to Justinian. The crowd soon silenced as they realized the Hippodrome had became a prison. That silence was brief as fear and anger pierced that silence like a sword through flesh. A full blown panic ensued like no other I had seen before or since. People were clustered around the gates like wild animals trying to escape. What they did not know was that at each end of the Hippodrome had corridors for staging areas for all of the various events and races that could conceal thousands of people. Our forces had slipped in as regular citizens with their armor underneath cloaks. Shields and plumbatae had been left with the second wave servants of the forces arrayed against the rioters. Belisarius and his contingent were at the Black Gate (western side of the Hippodrome), and Mundus was at south eastern gate (This gate became known as the Gate of Death south of the imperial box or Kathisma.), and both commanders were with the first wave. The position of their staging area put them on flank of their opponents the rioters. The cloaked forces of Rome tore through the rioters without mercy ripping through them like a scythe through wheat furthering the already panic stricken mob. Both ends of the track became soaked in gore from the slaughtered rioters. The imperial box was sealed off and we could not escape. Our plan was working, because those in the box minus myself were absolutely mortified.

Leo turned to me looking for my lead in what to do. I told him they had better get down and form the mob up into defensive lines before they are obliterated.

We had escape rope ladders in case of such an emergency. However, they were not expecting such a coordinated effort from imperial forces. I told Hypatius' pretend court to use the rope ladders and had Hypatius' guard to help assist Leo and the others down the shortest drop which was about 10 feet. After the last of Hypatius' retinue had reached the bottom the rope ladders were pulled up to the shock of Leo and the rest that were already down. The three guards and Hypatius heard the angry pleas from Hypatius retinue and their disbelief and shock was fixed on their faces. The three guards of Hypatius charged me with swords raised and I lunged forward with my right shoulder, head even with my shoulder, knees bent with my weight shifted to my right foot, and swept the swiftest guard up throwing him over the rail. He fell from the highest point from ground to box and he landed head first smashing his skull on an empty row of stone benches where the Blues had been.

The other two mere amateurs were dispatched just as easily. One took a slash to the face sending him wincing in pain. The other one's clumsy attack was easily deflected, and I was able to run him through. I retrieved my blade quickly and struck the last guard, who took a slash to the face, on the bridge of his nose with the pommel of my sword breaking his nose like an egg. He crumpled to the ground begging for mercy. He told me that he had a wife and daughter. I looked at him and said, "Renounce your allegiance to Hypatius and pledge it back to your Emperor Justinian, and you shall be spared. The guard refused and so I knocked him out stone cold with the sword pommel. Hypatius did not try to resist or escape. He simply excepted his fate and stayed seated on the throne.

Leo and the rest of his retinue still in shock tried to rally their quickly decreasing mob of would be fighters. There were those trying to form some sort of defensive line, but they had been beaten back from the gates. Belisarius was the first commander able to safely send in his reinforcements after the mob was pushed back. Mundus quickly followed while Narses and his guard contingent (made up of Scholae Palatinae and the Exubitors) fought near Belisarius. These men were hand picked by the emperor and were the most skilled fighters and they were handsomely cared for. They wasted no time in carving paths where their foes once stood.

Slowly and methodically at both gate ends the warriors of Justinian were squeezing the rioters as if they were arms of an octopus slowly wrapping themselves around the mob until they were surrounded and cut off from any hope of escape. On the rioter side many died from exhaustion, some escaped the melee by jumping to their death from top of the Hippodrome. Only a few survived the fall but with severe injuries and broken bones. On the Hippodrome sand where the mob was being cut down, many pretended to be dead taking their chance from being trampled rather than certain death from sword and spear.

The end game was becoming crystal clear for the riot leaders. There was no chance against these battle hardened veterans, and with the gates all locked down the hope of escape was diminished. Hypatius still did not resist, beg, or plead. He resided firmly in prayer, but then he looked through me into my soul and spoke these haunting words, "Soldier of Rome I do not have any ill will towards you, but humbly offer these words for it is all I have. In the course of your life people will try to pull you from your path even those who mean well. Fix your heart and eyes on the Lord. Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:2)
    Last edited by ♔Old Dragoon♔; April 13, 2017 at 10:24 AM.

Well, it's not looking good for Hypatius, is it? I wonder what effect his last words will have on Uliaris (I assume it's still Uliaris speaking).

Did I miss how they found out Romanos was the traitor? Maybe I read it, but I can't remember...

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

The confrontation between Blues and Greens in the Hippodrome, and the events which follow, are dramatic. I wonder what effects Hypatius' words (at the end of the latest update) will have.

Content Emeritus

@Caillagh...Thank you for your comments! No it is not looking good for Hypatius indeed! They definitely had a profound affect on him for certain. Yes it is and when you see the italics it will be what they actually said or quoting a source that was known to them. Romanos has a very small role in the riots. He tried to defect over to the treasonous senators but was suspected along with another soldier by Narses and Uliaris. Not much detail on how they were caught just that they were. Narses promoted them both to palace guards and handed over to Uliaris as prisoners so he could prove his loyalty to Leo and the treasonous senate. I may have to go back and fix that if it wasn't conveyed very well.

@Alwyn... Thank you! The words affected him very profoundly but I cannot say any more than that at .

Next update is coming very soon!

Content Emeritus

As Hypatius sat there resolved to his fate, the rioters last stand was literally decimated. The sound and roar of battle changed back to that horrific terrible sound of panic, fear, and death cries. The veteran warriors that were tightening their death grip on the rioters now charged home with greater ferocity killing them in even larger heaps than before. No one was being spared and the many playing dead were found out and ran through with spear and sword with rage beyond killing in war. The warriors minds had drifted farther than battle rage or even bloodlust if such a thing was possible. The now defenseless rioters were not just being killed as in a battle, but it was more likened to a scene from hell. People were being skewered and butchered in ways I had never imagined.

Narses words rang true about this very moment and as how most crisis go, things would be worse before they got better. As Uliaris continued his voice grew shakier, "I remember this one scene as I stood there in shock at what was happening on the field below the Kathisma, a little girl five or six had picked up her mother's head and carried it to where I assumed was where her father was slain and laid beside her fallen father with the head of her mother...she uuhh....she..." The hardened veteran of many wars lips began quivering and tears filled his eyes. Suddenly Uliaris' right hand began trembling and shaking uncontrollably. He took a pause from his account, and did not speak a word. Uliaris, even after all these years still became greatly troubled from thinking about or talking about certain experiences in war depending on the account.

As Aelia and Andreas came over to comfort, Uliaris began bitterly weeping. Andreas had never seen him in such a state, nor had he ever heard this particular part. "I'm sorry but I need a moment," said the teary eyed veteran as he got up and poured himself another glass of wine. While gulping his wine, Uliaris was trying to regain his composure and walked over to an intricate sculpture of Achilles with an arrow in his heel. Aelia quietly spoke to Uliaris, "I purchased that piece for the remembrance that we all are flawed no matter how great we are. Also, that despite our flaws we can achieve greatness in all that we do." Uliaris responded while wiping the tears from his eyes, "I am greatly flawed, and I assure you I have never achieved greatness. I need fresh air...please do not follow." As Uliaris was leaving Aelia replied, "That is not what Andreas told me!" Uliaris paused for a moment then kept walking out of the room. "He said there could be no greater friend than you, and I agree!" As she said those words Uliaris looked back and saw tears welling up in Aelia's eyes. He paused again then went out of the room.

Andreas spoke up, "So, when do you plan on telling him?"

Aelia replied as tears were streaming down her face, "Not just yet but very soon. I think now would be too much for him."

Uliaris went out the back door of the shop area to a pleasant garden hidden by the high walls. The night air of Constantinople was more than agreeable since the walls around the garden blocked the sea breeze. There was a rather unique sculpted fountain along with a stone bench and he sat down trying to rest his reeling mind of the suppressed memories that were raging inside trying to pull him to the dark places he had try to forget. Uliaris had his head buried in his hands, until he heard the voice of Narses yelling for him to get down from Kathisma.
    Last edited by ♔Old Dragoon♔; April 13, 2017 at 10:24 AM.

Uliaris has certainly seen some terrible things.

I'm intrigued to discover what it is that Aelia isn't telling him (yet)!

Content Emeritus

He has indeed! I'm finishing up the last of this chapter and had to do a little more research for the next section that will be unfolding, and it will answer some things for the characters thus far with a few more new characters added as well!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast