Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shield of the North: A Guide to the Kingdom of Dale

Default Shield of the North: A Guide to the Kingdom of Dale

Shield of the North: A Guide to the Kingdom of Dale

Dale is a faction with many advantages. In some ways, it is similar to the Empire of Harad: both factions boast a large and varied unit roster, both factions can command great wealth, and both have several unique ways to leverage their power as they begin to expand.

But where Harad gets a lot of its battlefield power from overwhelming offensive strikes (in the form of its Mumakil or its excellent cavalry), Dale is more suited to defense. This defensive strength, combined with its other factional benefits, makes Dale perhaps the easiest faction in Dominion of Men - the most welcoming to a new player.

Dale begins the campaign with 7 settlements and 2 allies, in the most secure position of any faction. Much of Dale's northern border is protected by one of those allies, the Dwarves.

The Dale-Dwarf alliance is permanent, meaning you can leave settlements like Dale and Eodor with a skeleton garrison and not worry about inviting a backstab. And, while the Dwarves mostly defend their settlements, only rarely coming out to patrol their lands (and bribe the occasional enemy town), for the entire game, you can count on them as solid trade partners.

The Trading Posts Specialization Building will ensure that your river provinces, such as Esgaroth and Burne, are profitable. Eodor makes a fine Military Policy settlement, perhaps with a Siege Workshop (for ballistas and... other options). But Dale itself will do most of the recruitment in the early years, providing hardy Black Spears and Hearth-troops while your other settlements train lower-tier bowmen and militia types to fill in the ranks.

Your second ally is the Beornings, whose lands for the most part lie south of your westernmost settlement, Framsburg. This alliance is rather less secure. While these Woodmen are at first interested in exerting their dominance over the independent settlements along the Anduin, the Beornings may begin to eye Framsburg with increasing jealousy over the years (and indeed, Framsburg is a required settlement for victory as the Beornings).

This is obviously problematic, as Framsburg is the most isolated of your starting settlements.

The units you can train here are Woodmen at the lower tiers - poorly armed and less disciplined than the soldiers you have available in your core provinces. In order to keep Framsburg secure, you will want a Military Policy here. This policy, with the proper buildings, will allow you to recruit essential units like Black Spears and Riders of Dale to hold off a Beorning attack and, if desired, push your realm west of the Misty Mountains. A Dwarven Armoury Specialization Building is also a good build in Framsburg, to ensure soldiers trained here wear the highest quality armor.

It is possible, however, to maintain peace with the Beornings through diplomacy. You'll need to maintain a large enough army in Framsburg to discourage any attack, while using an Emissary to pay the Woodmen to attack other factions such as Adunabar (and bribe the occasional army that wanders into your territory).

Diplomacy is actually an effective tool for Dale. Partly this is due to your Emissary Headquarters Specialization Building: construct one early on in your capital, and you will regularly have 3- or 4-Authority Emissaries to bribe encroaching armies into nonexistence, pay off your rivals against each other, and intimidate other factions into ceasefire or even protectorate status. (The Emissary Headquarters also eases the integration of other settlements into your realm - an invaluable benefit.)

But a large part of why diplomacy works for Dale is because you can grow very rich off the river trade that passes along your kingdom. Diplomacy costs a lot of money, usually, to get results - but when it gets results, it can pay for itself many times over.

One example of how to leverage your wealth into diplomatic dominance is in the early wars you face in the east of your realm.

In addition to 2 allies, Dale also begins with 1 enemy: North Rhun. This Chiefdom - an offshoot of the Easterlings from further south - will trouble your lands early on, besieging and probably taking the Carnen Fort which protects your border. They are an aggressive faction at the outset, but after a few turns of training and assembling a full stack or 2, you can move against them swiftly and deal great damage with your longbows and heavily-armed spearmen.

If you act aggressively - destroying their field armies and besieging their settlements - North Rhun will likely beg you for a ceasefire. This is a sign that you have a faction right where you want them. Counter with a demand that they become your protectorate, and offer as much money as you can afford. Consider offering some of their settlements back as well.

While this may seem all too generous, gaining North Rhun as a protectorate has some excellent benefits. First of all, you will get all of your money back, with interest, on the very next turn, and they will continue to send you tribute every turn thereafter. Second, their Chiefdom will act as a buffer state between your realm and the larger Chiefdom of Rhun. Third, North Rhun can horde. If you take their last settlement, you may find that you have just made life very difficult for yourself. (Plus, their barbaric lands will rankle under your direct rule - much better to let the Easterlings deal with those provinces themselves, and send wagonloads of tribute to your capital every turn.)

So, if you can manage it, getting them as a protectorate is far preferable. Of course, the other factions in the area may not be so happy that you are extending your hegemony. Expect Rhovanion or Dorwinion - or both - to make an attack.

Fortunately, these factions are both Northmen like you, and their lands are ripe for the plucking. Your veteran armies that just subjugated (or eliminated) North Rhun can make short work of these upstarts, and swallow up their own territories - or make them protectorates, too. One exception here is Belegant. Not only is this on your list of victory conditions, but its potential for wealth is very high. It also offers some unique recruitment options in the form of Dorwinion Halberdiers.

If you have gone the diplomatic route and forced these factions under your rule, you will have a rather quiet section of the map for the rest of your campaign. For further expansion, you'll need to look west, either annexing the Beornings' lands or crossing the spine of the Misty Mountains to attack Adunabar.

On the other hand, if you destroyed these recalcitrant Northmen, you'll have more fighting to do. The Chiefdom of Rhun often conquers into Rhovanion, and if they are not occupied with wars in the south, they will take any opportunity to challenge you for these lands. Rhun can raise large armies to send against you, but your generally superior troops - and especially your longbowmen - will let you rule the battlefield defensively.

Battles for Dale go best when the enemy is obliged to march on your position, allowing you to rain down arrows and spears. But even when you must attack, your missile superiority will often force the enemy to charge your position, throwing themselves upon your line of Black Spears while your Dale Watch and Hearth-troops move to flank. The formations provided by the game when you arrive at the battlefield are usually sufficient for battles with the Easterlings, who will crumble in most infantry-vs-infantry clashes. If they field lots of cavalry, you may have a more difficult time. But if you field a reasonably mixed army with around 4 units of riders, your host will achieve victory except in the most dire situations.

One of your early large battles may look something like this: a counterattack from North Rhun as you attempt to take back the Carnen Fort:

While you may be outnumbered in these early fights, your forces are easily capable. A formation of archers, infantry, archers is a good starting point:

Make sure your Black Spears are set to fire at will, and keep your cavalry to the rear. Wait for the enemy to approach and let your bowmen do their work.

If the foe has few riders, your front line of archers can often skirmish out of the way, while your Black Spears cast their javelins at an already demoralized enemy.

When the lines do clash, your spearmen can hold their ground while Dale Watch or riders move to flank.

A total rout is the result - and your well-armed, missile-heavy force is still strong enough to push farther into enemy territory.

But the Easterlings are not the only foe you may face to your south. The lands east of Anduin and south of the Greenwood are a battleground between Adunabar, Rohan, and the Reunited Kingdom. Rohan is a strong kingdom with cavalry that is potentially dangerous to your mostly foot-bound armies, but by the time you face them you are likely to be fielding veteran hosts of your own. The Dunedanic powers are more dangerous, whether they take the form of Adunabar's Cultic troops or the RK's superlative infantry. These factions can field archers that rival yours, and melee troops that can cut your Black Spears to ribbons. Against such foes, you'll want to fight defensive battles, preferably on hillsides to tire the enemy, and bring Hearth-troops and any other units that are effective against armor. Several family members (with their extremely powerful bodyguard) in the army can provide some welcome shock cavalry.

These late-game battles are where you will see your well-laid plans pay off - or where you will watch in horror as your best army is destroyed by a superior force. So, while Dale has a fairly simple start to the campaign, there is still the opportunity for surprising reversals of fortune just as you feel victory is within your grasp.

With its advantages of wealth, diplomacy, and a balanced and varied roster, the Kingdom of Dale is poised to lead Middle-earth into a new age of prosperity and innovation. Whether saving the West from hordes of barbarians, or crushing rebellious kingdoms under its heel, Dale can be at the front lines of some of the most momentous conflicts of the Fourth Age, and leave its mark on the world for centuries to come.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Shield of the North: A Guide to the Kingdom of Dale

Excellent stuff Count, as always .

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Indeed, excellent write-up by an excellent writer for an excellent faction
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

It's the excellence trifecta!

webba84's Avatar Artifex

And added to moddb. Looking forward to the next one

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Very well written guide

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Brilliant guide, I am about to start my 2nd ever Let's Play on yoonohoo after finding this terrific looking mod and have chosen this faction (being a Northerner, well Scottish actually) to play as. I thought I would come in to the TWC to find some info on the mod and faction so as not to make an ass of myself to the general public and came across your excellent write up, so thank you very much. I am going to use your "header" as my campaign title (Shield of the North) if that's ok with you, ofc I will rep you in the description, but if you are not happy with the idea I will erase and change it. I play under the pseudonym of Saul Tyre btw if you want to have a look. Hopefully I can play well and help promote the mod. Thanks in anticipation. EDIT: I will also be posting my Let's Play in the Rome Total War Group on Facebook, where many still play Rome 1 and it's mods, which should also hopefully help with the popularity of the mod too. As creator you should feel very proud of your work, it has all the makings of a great mod from what I have seen so far, I'm really looking forward to playing it
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; July 30, 2016 at 07:04 AM.

I look forward to seeing your Let's Play! Feel free to use 'Shield of the North' - and good luck with Dale! Keep us posted with your progress here, too.

If I could make a recommendation, it would be a good idea to read through the descriptions of the various 'buildings' at the beginning of the game - especially the one with tips & info on game mechanics. This 'building' can be found at every city, and is usually found in the upper left corner of the building panel. There are a lot of things about FATW that differ substantially from vanilla RTW.

Thanks for the kind words. The team leaders (webba84, Aradan, and MasterOfNone) have done some incredible work, so I'm happy others are finding out about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    I look forward to seeing your Let's Play! Feel free to use 'Shield of the North' - and good luck with Dale! Keep us posted with your progress here, too.

If I could make a recommendation, it would be a good idea to read through the descriptions of the various 'buildings' at the beginning of the game - especially the one with tips & info on game mechanics. This 'building' can be found at every city, and is usually found in the upper left corner of the building panel. There are a lot of things about FATW that differ substantially from vanilla RTW.

Thanks for the kind words. The team leaders (webba84, Aradan, and MasterOfNone) have done some incredible work, so I'm happy others are finding out about it.

Thank you, I will certainly read through the descriptions, I will need all the help I can muster, my knowledge on the Lore is not really sufficient but I'm putting in some "research time" now. (watching The Wise Coffin on YT) I also have RSIII on the go so am aware of Sinuhets AI formation, I use his "pure" 7 formation which imo just shades out the others. My apologies to the other members of the team I did not mean to overlook them I appreciate the work all those involved do with mods, there is always some fascinating work being done. I always try to play on the hardest difficulty but have noticed there is suggested difficulties, is there a particular reason for this or should I just go ahead? I also had a little random playthrough as Rohan & Harad using huge unit sizes with unit detail, veg, building, terrain, effects all on high, grass on medium and also battle map shadows, unit shadows, campaign shadows, desync, glints, unit shaders & dust all checked with AA turned off without any problems. I also use the thing that shall not be named on this forum too. I will post my progress regularly and I will be open to any suggestions/advice nb: should I post the occasional video or just a written report with screenshots eg and where should I post? I will also spread the word as far as possible. Thanks to ALL the team
    Last edited by webba84; July 31, 2016 at 07:25 AM. Reason: to conform to forum rules

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Thanks for your interest. We look forward to viewing your experience in video format

I would recommend using the mod unmodded and sticking strictly to the recommended settings (including unit size). The mod is balanced on our recommended settings much more so than a lot of other mods due to the way we have balanced the population, unit stats and economy. It can prove disastrous to stray from them.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Quote Originally Posted by Rambellon View Post
    nb: should I post the occasional video or just a written report with screenshots eg and where should I post?
    Feel free to post as much as you'd like, but I'd say if you're already doing a video series, there's no need to do an in-depth written report. Unless you're up for it, of course!

You can make your own thread in this forum for your videos. Add posts whenever you have another video ready, or whenever you have something else to say.

I'll also agree with MoN and recommend that you play the mod on Large unit sizes (as recommended), use the recommended difficulty settings, and avoid using other mods alongside it for the best experience. (Using high effects, detail, etc., is all fine.) Keeping the campaign difficulty at Medium (Decidedly Tookish) is especially important to keep the AI behaving in somewhat of a normal manner.

The thing that shall not be named on this forum thing is probably ok - that is basically a thing that shall not be named on this forum kind of thing, right? Anyway, have fun!
    Last edited by webba84; July 31, 2016 at 07:26 AM. Reason: conforming to forum policy

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    Thanks for your interest. We look forward to viewing your experience in video format

I would recommend using the mod unmodded and sticking strictly to the recommended settings (including unit size). The mod is balanced on our recommended settings much more so than a lot of other mods due to the way we have balanced the population, unit stats and economy. It can prove disastrous to stray from them.
    That's fine, I will play on the recommended settings as you suggest, I want to glean the best experience from playing, and if as you say it will become unbalanced, then I will not get that. I think you have all done done a terrific job with this mod from what I have seen so far, it's mods like this that make me not give today's TW games a second thought. Thanks for the information and the quick reply. Should I post my video on this thread or somewhere else? btw Let's Plays are my new hobby, I'm not the most tactical, strategic nor dexterous player, I try my best and play for my enjoyment not ego, I'm certainly not afraid of defeat and I never cheat, so unless there is a technical problem I will finish the campaign, and if I do lose I will try again.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; July 30, 2016 at 04:29 PM.

Please start a new thread to post your videos - it will be the best way for people to find them!

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Welcome, Rambellon, look forward to seeing your LP!

Just to let everyone know, I modified a couple of posts in this tread to adhere to forum policy, I'm sure you can all figure out what and why.

Quote Originally Posted by webba84 View Post
    Welcome, Rambellon, look forward to seeing your LP!

Just to let everyone know, I modified a couple of posts in this tread to adhere to forum policy, I'm sure you can all figure out what and why.
    Ok no problem, looks a fantastic mod btw, I'm quite excited about playing my campaign, I hope I can do it justice, tho' I'm a bit miffed at being advised not to play on the hardest difficulty, I've never laughed at a Dragon

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Well, I can break down some of the factors for you and then you can make your choice with a bit more information.

The most important setting is unit sizes. Population growth in this mod is very carefully balanced, and very low by RTW standards. If units are set to huge not only does this give factions with higher base population growths (Easterlings, Haradrim) an unfair advantage, it also makes it almost impossible for the AI factions to manage their population growth. Sooner or later you'll be playing in a world full of 400 pop cities.

Likewise, if you set the unit sizes smaller it gives factions that tend towards small, elite units (Elves, Dwarves, Dunedain) an unfair advantage, as they can put together basically unstoppable armies.

Regarding campaign difficulty, it directly affects how well the diplomacy functions in RTW. On medium difficulty, it is possible to maintain an alliance or peace with neighbouring factions providing you don't offer the ai any tempting targets and avoid offending them (for more information definitely read this). On H or VH this is no longer true, and you'll pretty much be at war with all your neighbours in a very short amount of time. A good player can manage this, but our campaign isn't really balanced for it. Oh, also, it seems like campaign difficulty affects auto-resolve (yes, it's weird that it isn't battle difficulty, but anyway) so if you auto-resolve battles medium is the most realistic and fair setting for this.

Regarding battle difficulty, the recommended setting is contentious, but also the one you can change the most without upsetting the balance of the mod. Because H and VH directly buff AI troops (+4 and +7 to attack and morale, respectively) a lot of people feel that its unrealistic to use anything but medium difficulty, and avoid giving the AI crutches. We went with hard as the recommended setting because it felt like at this point most people who still play this game are rather good at it, and the AI needs something to help offset how generally bad it is at designing an army and manoeuvring it on the battlefield.

The bonus that VH difficulty gives, however, can cause problems for some of the factions that rely on large number of weaker units. If the player is such a faction, and they are fighting a faction that fields smaller, more elite armies then the large AI bonus to attack means even in overwhelming victories you will take signification casualties and, as mentioned above, population growth in this mod is low to the point that this can mean a campaign loss because all your settlements are depopulated, especially so if you're playing on huge unit sizes.

So, that's basically why the recommended settings are what they are. Hope it helps!
    Last edited by webba84; July 31, 2016 at 08:43 PM.

Well, I can break down some of the factors for you and then you can make your choice with a bit more information.

The most important setting is unit sizes. Population growth in this mod is very carefully balanced, and very low by RTW standards. If units are set to huge not only does this give factions with higher base population growths (Easterlings, Haradrim) an unfair advantage, it also makes it almost impossible for the AI factions to manage their population growth. Sooner or later you'll be playing in a world full of 400 pop cities.

Likewise, if you set the unit sizes smaller it gives factions that tend towards small, elite units (Elves, Dwarves, Dunedain) an unfair advantage, as they can put together basically unstoppable armies.

Regarding campaign difficulty, it directly affects how well the diplomacy functions in RTW. On medium difficulty, it is possible to maintain an alliance or peace with neighbouring factions providing you don't offer the ai any tempting targets and avoid offending them (for more information definitely read this). On H or VH this is no longer true, and you'll pretty much be at war with all your neighbours in a very short amount of time. A good player can manage this, but our campaign isn't really balanced for it. Oh, also, it seems like campaign difficulty affects auto-resolve (yes, it's weird that it isn't battle difficulty, but anyway) so if you auto-resolve battles medium is the most realistic and fair setting for this.

Regarding battle difficulty, the recommended setting is contentious, but also the one you can change the most without upsetting the balance of the mod. Because H and VH directly buff AI troops (+4 and +7 to attack and morale, respectively) a lot of people feel that its unrealistic to use anything but medium difficulty, and avoid giving the AI crutches. We went with hard as the recommended setting because it felt like at this point most people who still play this game are rather good at it, and the AI needs something to help offset how generally bad it is at designing an army and manoeuvring it on the battlefield.

The bonus that VH difficulty gives, however, can cause problems for some of the factions that rely on large number of weaker units. If the player is such a faction, and they are fighting a faction that fields smaller, more elite armies then the large AI bonus to attack means even in overwhelming victories you will take signification casualties and, as mentioned above, population growth in this mod is low to the point that this can mean a campaign loss because all your settlements are depopulated, especially so if you're playing on huge unit sizes.

So, that's basically why the recommended settings are what they are. Hope it helps!
    Thanks for taking time out to explain this, I sort of knew most of it already but I still always play on vh/vh anyway (RS III being a prime example) unless it distorts the gameplay to the point of unplayable, so to understand you correctly is that what will happen here? I really don't mind if that is the case, because first and foremost I want to enjoy the mod, I play on the hardest difficulty mostly because I'm nuts and enjoy the masochistic tendencies of the challenge....
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; July 31, 2016 at 11:58 PM.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

I would say that, as Dale, as long as you keep to large rather than huge unit sizes, playing on vh/vh will not distort the gameplay to unplayable levels (it's one of the easiest campaigns, after all ).

Perhaps, if you don't mind, you could make a mention of what the recommended settings are in your video and why you're choosing not to play with them, just so viewers know that the balance they see in your video isn't necessarily representative of what was designed.

I would say that, as Dale, as long as you keep to large rather than huge unit sizes, playing on vh/vh will not distort the gameplay to unplayable levels (it's one of the easiest campaigns, after all ).

Perhaps, if you don't mind, you could make a mention of what the recommended settings are in your video and why you're choosing not to play with them, just so viewers know that the balance they see in your video isn't necessarily representative of what was designed.
    Oh really, I didn't know that, I guessed they were not the most difficult from their starting position which is the reason I chose them for my first attempt at the mod, oh and also because they are Northmen and have a pretty blue banner so which is the hardest then? btw I explained why I was not using the hardest difficulty in the description to my video..

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Oh, Rhovanion is definitely the hardest, followed by Far Harad, and then probably Harondor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast