Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: British unit development

Default British unit development

Hi , guys . Since many mods have covered the era from American revolutionary war to napolenic war , and few mods had covered the victorian era . So I decide to creat one based on that era . I am harry771 , I can get this far without wangrin and B-DziL 's help , so rep+ to them here . I will list what I am going to do to creat this mod as fellow , and welcome anyone who has the suitable skills to join our team (not our , I am working on my own now , one of my friend help me with model ).
    1.what I am going to do .
    a.I want to cover all the original unites with new ones in the custom battle and campain , just like what TGW did .
    b.I want to creat three campain for this mod :the war of crimea , Franco-Prussia war , russo-Turkish war (If you know more , just post your comment on the thread , and we will have a look at it ) . time period covered from 1850-1900 , I decide to include all the campains in the Empire campain , just use the script to change the relationship of different faction at specific year .
    c.I want to creat new unite card for new unite , I am not good at that .
    d.I want to creat new unite for all factions , but I will add few to the minor faction , and add more to main factions .

2.what kind of skills I need .
    a.need someone to cover all the original unites with new ones in the custom battle and campain .
    b.Need someone know how to edited the scrips to change the relationships between different factions at spercific time .
    c.need 2d artist to creat unite cards and battle maps .
    d.need 3d artist to creat models and textures for soilders , I have made some for british now , but I do need someone t creat some helmets for house hold cav for I dont know how to creat that .

here is some pic for my new unite , but most of them is not so accurated to history , so I still need a history advisor .

Irish foot:http://www.mediafire.com/view/dfrcif2d717419x/1.png
    grendier:http://www.mediafire.com/view/cl7gu74arc91dou/2.png
    first grendier late:http://www.mediafire.com/view/33778dd32mp64ae/3.PNG
    queen's foot guard:http://www.mediafire.com/view/iyuvh2lp4vm1vyk/4.png
    highland regement:http://www.mediafire.com/view/m6ycbhz8fh2mv4c/5.png
    foot guard:http://www.mediafire.com/view/x4f93c4qh4x3oxo/6.png
    first grendier guard early:http://www.mediafire.com/view/nr2kwy5arhisc0t/7.png
    dragoon guard:http://www.mediafire.com/view/bm14j9e0moj7aho/8.png

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: war of victorian era Team is now officialy recuiting .

Unit icons and info pictures : if you create icons from model picture, it is not that difficult, it only need time.

Faction units roster : example of document I use to create unit roster
    M : model
    T : Texture

Experience Feedback :

• Collecting historical material is one of the most important task as documents will ease your work (creating units roster, creating models and textures, etc.) : you will likely need some historians
    • 2D artists to create textures are difficult to find...
    • Battlemap modders are even more rare
    • Develop your mod step by step, defining clear (and feasible) goals : for example, first step could be to release Russia and Ottoman units

Links :
    Last edited by wangrin; March 27, 2016 at 02:46 AM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

That is a good ideal , wangrin . Just wonder how do you start your mod at the first place , are you alone when you first started your project ? By the way , it is possible to make soilders taller in the battle , the grendiers should be taller than other soilders and I want to make that happen . Is it possible ?

By the way , where can I find those pictures of certain cuff of historical uniform , like this one :http://www.uniformology.com/UIDSPEC-08.html , it is hard for me to find this via google . Just want to know how you creat your unites' textures , you don't paint them yourself , right ? Cause that will take a lot of time .

Ok ,fellow your guide . I decide to creat all unites for British at my first step .

Patrician Artifex

New unit texture : when you create a new model (and not composed of existing parts), you have to create texture from scratch and it needs good skill with 2d art tools such as Photoshop or The Gimp.

Unit skeleton : it is not possible to modify skeleton in ETW and NTW, so, it is not possible to make unit taller or smaller.

Historical documents and materials : you can find different sources, from Internet site to "digitalised" books.
    I have very few books about XIXth century armies as my main focus is the XVIIIth century.

PunitorMaximus created a Russo-Turkish War of 1877/78 Mod.
    He is not very active, but maybe could you PM him ?

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

can you tell me how to modify the skeleton . where can I find a tutorial about this ? can you tell me what I need to do to make the unite taller in steps , It 's not just modify the skeleton I think .

Patrician Artifex

It is not possible to modify skeleton in ETW and NTW, and I'm not sure for Shogun 2.

Modifying model shape cannot allow to create taller units because the shape will not fit with the skeleton.
    Making unit taller means you would have to make skeleton taller. if not, skeleton would not fit with the model shape and animation look "strange" at best, generally horribly deformed.

NauDaModder's Avatar Civis

I can help with the historicalness....

"Amy Pond, there is one thing you'd better understand about me, 'cause its important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box."

thanks for your pictures , NauDa . It is of great help .

The infantry for british was finished , I move on to creat infantry for Prussa . Can anyone send me some pictures of Prussa .

Joseon194's Avatar Miles

http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/c...tab=navigation use this for your work. Its a digitized collection of military uniforms of countries from around the world, courtesy of the new york library. you're welcome.
    "This is Stannis Baratheon. The man will fight to the bitter end and then some.

Thanks , joseon . By the way , you like the show THE GAME OF THRON ? , I like it very much .

here is a update for new unite , just to make sure you guys can know the progress of the mod .
    Britian
    light infantry late (1870 after)

regement of foot in crimea war

qeen's foot redo

foot guard in great coat

highland foot1

Prussia
    infantry 1

infantry 2

infantry 3

Please post your comments in this thread , anything you want to say about this mod , uniform , soilder , anything wounld be ok . Please support this mod , We will try to do better .
    regards ,
    harry

Patrician Artifex

Look like to be a good work

Joseon194's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by harry771 View Post
    here is a update for new unite , just to make sure you guys can know the progress of the mod .
    Britian
    light infantry late (1870 after)

regement of foot in crimea war

qeen's foot redo

foot guard in great coat

highland foot1

Prussia
    infantry 1

infantry 2

infantry 3

Please post your comments in this thread , anything you want to say about this mod , uniform , soilder , anything wounld be ok . Please support this mod , We will try to do better .
    regards ,
    harry
    have the pictures helped harry?

Yeah , I creat my unite based on the pictures you provided , thanks a lot .

Joseon194's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by harry771 View Post
    Yeah , I creat my unite based on the pictures you provided , thanks a lot .
    Glad to hear it Harry! I wish you luck on your project and don't forget to put me on your mod's credits

of course , . I will post new update next weekend .

OH HELL YEAH! I can definitely help.

I'm pretty well versed in the uniforms of the period, but I'm afraid I can't really model. I can help with the historical references, DB stuff and POSSIBLY the Campaign if nobody else steps up though. For starters, here are a couple of good Franco-Prussian War uniform references from Wargames Foundry:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6a4617d42f.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/3d/9d/7b/3d9d7b7df877d42da67823971bbd118a.jpg

If the Prussian Infantry 2 and 3 are meant to be Jaegers, though, it should be noted that their uniforms were actually dark green, not blue.
    Last edited by Midnight-Blue766; April 10, 2016 at 12:02 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast