Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: worth the preorder?

Default worth the preorder?

serious question. after the burn to my pre-ordering ways that was rome two, should i preorder TW:W?

I mean, I am super excited for this game. i love warhammer, and I love total war. and besides, my fav faction (undead) is immediatly playable. But does it make sense to preorder when a month and a week from release we have out of sync animations, lighting issues, etc?

stradar1's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: worth the preorder?

I love total war my self been a fan since the first game. But I think I might hold off on Pre-ordering my self. I want to see if this game will be moddable and such before anything. And want to see how bad it is on release. Kind of been on the ropes since Rome 2..
    Total War is the only massive war game that has yet to be Surpassed keep up the good work CA don't let us down!!!!

In my opinion, no. Unless you desperately want to play the game, because you love TW or Warhammer, or you really have nothing else to play. Otherwise, I think that a more cold-blood approach is always the safest choice. Wait for the game to be released, for the first honest reviews to be published, for the in-game material to be uploaded to the Internet, so you can decide, based on your own criteria and then, if you are pleased, buy it in the right time, when it's as cheap as possible. Not to mention that it's a very painful experience to play an unstable, prematurely released game, with every patch possibly ruining your saves. Personally, I bought all the TW games I own at least three years after their release, when they were fully patched and sold in a very cheap price. But I'm a very casual player, still interested in the older games and spending more than 3 months to finish a campaign, so my experience may not be the ideal example. Still, I advise caution, playing Warhammer asap might sound attracting, but paying a large sum of money and dealing with bugs or patches isn't.

There is no disadvantage I can see in holding off preordering. Plenty of time to see more of the game before you chose.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

There's nothing in it that is worth pre-order especially when there's two more games and lots of DLCs coming. I hope this doesn't become a pay to play game.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

No point preordering yet. But i am buying the game anyway so probably going to preorder a day or so before release just to get the chaos faction and get the preloading going.

If you are on the fence, dont preorder until there's full reviews out, alternatively preorder and test the game and then you have the option to get a refound. If you are 100% buying it and have money, then might as well preorder.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Do what you want. It's your money.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    this surprisingly is damn spot on.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

Will total war warhammer have denuvo protection by any chance?.

And btw, i got the collectors edition pre ordered ^^.

Aquila_Mars's Avatar Semisalis

I'm waiting for the reviews to decide, there have been things that made me disgruntled and things that I find awesome about this game so far.

My advice is wait till it is very close to release, then make your decision. All the better if there are some youtubers amongst those reviewers. You don't gain anything more if you pre-order today than you will a day before release.
    LET US SHOOT THE BOOT, MAKE THE TOPHAT GO MOOT

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

What could you POSSIBLY be risking by pre-ordering?

Look, if you play it and don't like it, get a refund! It's easy and you can forsure get your money back.

The only possible reason not to do it is so that you can punish CA for the Rome 2 release (again) and punish them for their day 1 DLC stuff, but then if you do end up playing the game later, you'd have to buy the content (Chaos) to have it.

hold back and watch reviews first

Depending on where you live local prices may be different. A bit of research might save you some money.

Just wait until the last day possible, wait for reviews.

It's principle alone that's holding me back from preordering at this point. I'm 90% certain that this game is going to be highly enjoyable and only suffer from a fraction of problems that Rome II did at release.

Still, preorder incentives are a practice that CA have abused in the past, so they're something which I'm happy to take full advantage of as a customer. I will most likely buy the game the day before launch.

From a developers' perspective I can see why Chaos is offered up as DLC, but as an old TW fan who's been stung a few times too often, the whole thing is too reminiscent of the Greek Culture Pack preorder, otherwise I probably would have buckled and paid out by now. There are other ways of encouraging pre-purchase that are far less controversial than cordoning off high value content and I would like to see CA explore those more in future.

I won't pre-order just by CA's past history. Attila doesn't make up for Rome 2, for me it will take at least 2 successful launches by CA to consider pre-ordering. I personally don't really care much about Chaos though I will play them before I'd play Empire but that still leaves 3 factions I can play before worrying about running out of content. I expect I'll play whichever faction I try first in less than a week but the next campaigns will take a bit longer and I might even be willing to replay a faction before trying Chaos. Since I don't plan on buying the game in the first month of release by the time I get to the point where I want to play as Chaos the DLC will probably cost a bit less- if it doesn't then I'll either buy it anyway or if I didn't enjoy the game enough look for mods or start playing something else. To be honest there isn't a single TW title I've enjoyed completely without mods though Shogun 2 came closest so I will probably be looking for/making mods in the first couple months I have the game.

No won't pre-order, I will wait for how the release go and there are enough mods to play before i will play TW:W. And the comments about refunds how can you test a game like this in only two hours "You can't atleast i cant! so whats the point. I better wait for a discount and a patched game then having problems early release... Because i bet they will have alot of comments about spell's and stuff that still needs balancing after release so if would buy on release "i won't" then after a few patches i would continue my campaign and the effects are totally different again no thx, Plus with gameshop and no mods this will be a total DLC fest so no thx again.

I can keep my panty's on with a game like this but a good immersive historical TW not so mutch!
    --------> http://play0ad.com <--------
    OS: Win 7 64bit Ultimate // MOB: GA-990FXA-UD5 // CPU: AMD FX-8350 BE Eight-Core 4,70Ghz OC // WC: CM Nepton_280L // Memory: 16GB 1866Mhz // GPU: Nvidea GTX 780 ti 3GB // SC: SB X-Fi Titanium HD // SS: Creative T20 Series II // Monitors: Asus 27" 1ms , Asus 24'' 4ms //
    HDD: 1TB // SSD: 128GB // SSD: 240GB // External: 3TB

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

But as you make a personal decision keep in mind what you decide will affect everyone that plays games. Apparently they are so desperate for your pre-order this time they are going to delay release for a month so you can see Lionheart play it first. We really should be asking why the pre-order is so important to SEGA-CA. I believe the answer has a lot to do with selling "additional content." The "base game" isn't where they make big money with a sprawling title like WH. This may or may not be worth it depending on how much you care about WH fantasy.
    Last edited by Huberto; March 26, 2016 at 08:36 AM.

Yep. Personally, I'm going to wait until the preload happens for me to buy it.

I ended up skipping out on the Division, so I got the gaming money to spare for Total War Warhammer.
    Forward, march!

I just hope that they don't it up. I am willing to pay full price for a good total war game since we havent had a great one in a long time.

So I guess all that is left for us is to pray for a masterpiece.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast