Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4 new videos,new gameplay footage about vampires and Empire! campaign, siege,battle

simplemind07's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: 4 new videos,new gameplay footage about vampires and Empire! campaign, siege,battle

Looks very promising, very excited! I too am still skeptical about siege being a portion of the settlement, but having been playing since rome 1, the majority of my sieges are fought at a certain section of the wall then go straight to the plaza with fighting on the wall and as well on the street. Where the other parts of the city is just eyecandy to behold. Now seeing how the sieges work, it may not be so bad toward MY playstyle. Now if there are larger units involved say reinforcements (more than 20 units) then i can see why it can be problematic, but we will have to wait and see the result in the release.
    Love is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it but only YOU can feel the warmth.
    WE have no limit. Saying so is just a pathetic excuse of giving up!

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Default Re: 4 new videos,new gameplay footage about vampires and Empire! campaign, siege,battle

In depth campaign mechanics for the vampires.

New battle mechanics feat. Crypt Ghouls and Vargheists.

Last edited by Påsan; March 24, 2016 at 04:06 PM.

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    In depth campaign mechanics for the vampires.

New battle mechanics feat. Crypt Ghouls and Vargheists.

Hmm interesting two good videos, it seems to me there could be a lot of fun to be had.

Senator

The ghouls look so ing good. I could mow them down with volleyguns all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankbustaz View Post
    The ghouls look so ing good. I could mow them down with volleyguns all day.
    Reported for Ghoulism.

Enjoy your ban.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Aquila_Mars's Avatar Semisalis

Markas ain't foolin' round ye zoggin gitz.

Now gettuva 'ere nd chop up some dem rotty gitz!

-

That aside, at least morion helmets are gone/reduced (If I didn't see wrong)
    And of course in true CA fashion they bring something else I dislike, magical ladders. Though I like it as a gameplay feature, I'd prefer units not pulling those out of their arses magically.
    LET US SHOOT THE BOOT, MAKE THE TOPHAT GO MOOT

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Imperator Artorius's Avatar Miles

Having seen a few more closeups of the combat, especially from Total War Zone's battle videos, the lack of matched combat makes such a positive difference imo. The fighting looked a lot more intense and a lot less weird and floaty than it does in the post Medieval 2 games. I really hope this is something that CA sticks with now. especially when they can use the money that would be spent on motion capturing the duels to improve the quality of the 'stock' combat animations.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelann View Post
    They tend to bring weird effects on unbalanced melees, where one side outnumbers the other a lot. In Shogun 2, you could see this effect especially with heroes units. They would be able to hold their ground even outnumbered 1-50. It was pretty unrealistic and a nightmare to proper balance, apparently. BUT they really looked cool.

Yeah I agree. How it could works is that all units would obsorb some hitpoints e.g. 100. If you would hit him 2 time with 40 demage third one would be deadly with finishing animation. Doesnt matter who would hit him.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; March 28, 2016 at 02:02 PM. Reason: fixed quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    [/I]

Humans, spears and pikes dont change because you put them in a fantasy universe, they remain humans, spears and pikes. Whenever anyone try to represent a tabletop game, they dont try to accurately represent the models, be it in games, official art or movies, they represent what the models themselves are supposed to represent.

Nice red herring fallacy. See above why humans look like humans and not plastic models.

Hey another fallacy! I think this one is called ad hominem or something. Basically attack the post not the poster.
    You should do more research on fallacies, because at no point did I make a red herring fallacy. I wasn't trying to redirect the argument to something easier to argue for me, in fact all I did was focus the argument. I'm simply said why are you applying the logic you apply to humans only, and not to Orcs, or Dwarves, or the Undead?

You can't answer it, because you don't know, none of us know. CA took what GW created and recreated it closely for the Orcs and Dwarves, but not for the humans, because apparently, the humans were supposed to represent something else, according to.. GW, or CA, or you?

Oh, that's your opinion. A far more likely reason that the humans don't like they do in table is that that CA got lazy and reused models from Rome 2, when they were forced to create brand new models for the Orcs and Dwarfs. That makes sense, since they look exactly like the models from Rome 2. Bringing up random logical fallacies doesn't make sense. I'll grant you the ad hominem fallacy, but just because it is a fallacy doesn't mean it isn't true... especially when I can show you're going out of your way to excuse CA's behavior.

But let's be real for a second, since you're interested in realism. Let's be 100% real. I own horses, Arabians. We once wanted to breed one of our mares, but she didn't like the stallion we put with her with, so she ran away from him. Since she was in a square pasture when she got to the corner, she didn't turn, she ran right through the corner, and snapped a 4x4 in half. I swore she would have broken her leg or shoulder or something. As I mended the fence with the owner of the stallion, my wife caught our horse, and not even a mark on her. I was shocked.

The stallion owner wasn't, she asked me how much I weigh, I responded 180 pounds. She asked if I could break a square stick that was 8/10's of an inch thick. I said of course. She said the horse probably weighs ~900 pounds, 5 times your weight, and a 4x4 is 5 times bigger than the stick I thought I could break. After thinking about it, I realized she was right.

Now, the humans in Warhammer face giants Dragons, huge Ogres, monsters that probably weigh tons, and you think it is realistic for those soldiers to bring those tiny little spears to the battle? Is that what you'd bring to battle? Those things wouldn't stop my horse, let alone a giant monster.

No, you're not stupid, so I know you'd bring the biggest weapon you could handle. I mean, if you were trying to kill an elephant, you wouldn't use a 9mm right? No, you'd use a high powered rifle. Those spears on the table top model, those guys have to two hand those things, they appear to have real heft. Scaled up, you could plant one of those into the ground and actually stop a charging horse with one of those. The spears CA created would snap easily.

So that is realism. Those dinky spears are a joke. They wouldn't work versus cavalry, so they certainly wouldn't work versus the the monsters in Warhammer. And I know, and you know too, that you wouldn't be bringing that to a fight when you're up against a being several times your size.

That just wouldn't be, realistic.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; March 28, 2016 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Personal references are off-topic.

A number of cultures fought enemies with war elephants. The answer was never use a bigger two handed spear. One handed with a spear is natural unless you're a pikeman.
    Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

If I cannot find a way I will make one.

Hannibal Barca

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

But the GW size of spear is the unrealistic one. It has nothing to do that they need THAT big shaft to be effective. Hands of models can't even grip it fully, because it is to thick. On the other hand, official GW art has them use correct size of shafts, you know why? Because models are not showing units in realistic scale.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    What makes mr cringe are those magic ladders, damn you CA, why can't you learn after all those years....It is even more retarded then magic torchers. With torchers, defenders still had the advantage, because army without siege equipment would attack, but only through single gate, not armies can just flood the defenders on every part of the wall. It actually sounds like a bad idea not to try to send all possible infantry on walls.
    Honestly, I get your gripe, but at the same time I don't really get it. Have you played the other warscape TW's? The AI has serious issues with sieges. The best the AI has ever been in a siege for TW, ANY TW, was Shogun where units could just climb the walls. So, I get that you don't like that they carry magic ladders, but at the same time, would you rather suspend your disbelief a little bit for a moderately challenging and enjoyable siege AI? Or would you rather have an AI like all the other games that basically cannot function?

I guess we will have to see, but right now I am going to trust that after Rome 2 and Attila where Attila showed they were very, very cognizant of the issues of Rome 2, they are making decisions to improve the gameplay overall perhaps at the sake of some immersion.

I'm pretty sure renaissance era Spears were quite a bit smaller than medieval ones, thanks to improved metallurgy and access to stronger spear shafts. Although they have spearmen in the lore I always thought spearmen for Empire were a big incongruous with their renaissance style. I would have thought Spontoons a bit more fitting.

If it really does stick in the craw, I guess they can be modded?
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    I'm pretty sure renaissance era Spears were quite a bit smaller than medieval ones, thanks to improved metallurgy and access to stronger spear shafts. Although they have spearmen in the lore I always thought spearmen for Empire were a big incongruous with their renaissance style. I would have thought Spontoons a bit more fitting.

If it really does stick in the craw, I guess they can be modded?
    I can assure you they were not smaller. I saw real 15/16 century spears at two occasions this year. I was impressed how large they were. Obviously the spears were ridiculously too slim and too short. I am certain everyone can recognize it right ?

GW is kind of ambiguous with this specific model. I think there are like this to represent both pike regiment of wealthy imperial states and the spear formation reported for poorer states.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post
    I can assure you they were not smaller. I saw real 15/16 century spears at two occasions this year. I was impressed how large they were. Obviously the spears were ridiculously too slim and too short. I am certain everyone can recognize it right ?
    Depends on whether it is a spear proper or one of the many variations of the polearm like a Half-Pike. I too have seen more medieval/renaissance weapons than is probably normal. The spears shown in the quest battle are as tall or taller than the carriers, which is about right. Shaft thickness is similar to this English renaissance halberd spear-

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

GW is kind of ambiguous with this specific model. I think there are like this to represent both pike regiment of wealthy imperial states and the spear formation reported for poorer states.
    If it's the latter you'd think they would have added Bowmen.
    Last edited by Markas; March 27, 2016 at 04:06 PM.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

2 m long English renaissance spear. Even has the little red dot, the same as the model and CA version got.
    Last edited by Påsan; March 27, 2016 at 04:10 PM.

Wow that's weird I just edited that in my post.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Depends on whether it is a spear proper or one of the many variations of the polearm like a Half-Pike. I too have seen more medieval/renaissance weapons than is probably normal.
    I assure you they were presented as proper spears. As a whole I was impress how big and thick were the weapons. Far more than I imagined previously.

The spears shown in the quest battle are as tall or taller than the carriers, which is about right.
    IMO the upper part is good. The trouble is with the lower part. It stops at the knee. Way too high.

Shaft thickness is similar to this English renaissance halberd spear-
    Nice sharing. Imo the game model is not enough thick. The spears appear less thick than they were in R2 and Attila.

If it's the latter you'd think they would have added Bowmen.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Bowmen is an odd omission, my guess is that CA believes the Crossbows fill that roll enough which is okay, but no flagellants? Those guys are pretty unique with a pretty rare weapon.. which is why I think they weren't put in cos they didn't make any flail animations.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    What makes mr cringe are those magic ladders, damn you CA, why can't you learn after all those years....It is even more retarded then magic torchers. With torchers, defenders still had the advantage, because army without siege equipment would attack, but only through single gate, not armies can just flood the defenders on every part of the wall. It actually sounds like a bad idea not to try to send all possible infantry on walls.
    Oh yes, you nailed it. A good reason the skip the game, I hated the ladders and ropes in ETW and S2TW (stopped playing the latter for this reason). Immediate attack totally denies the reason for fortresses, to get you some additional reaction time.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast