Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4 new videos,new gameplay footage about vampires and Empire! campaign, siege,battle

Default Re: 4 new videos,new gameplay footage about vampires and Empire! campaign, siege,battle

I am very disappointed with how the spearmen look of the Empire, and the units in general. They hold these tiny, thin little spears with a single hand? What?

CA can't get history right sure, but most people can't. At least they should capture the how units look when you know 100% exactly what they look like:

See how thick and long the spears are? Note how they hold them with two hands? And when they aren't using them to try and stab something, they have them shouldered, they don't hold them with a single fist because it is a real spear with some heft. Terrible job CA, attention to detail close to zero.

That and the body proportions are just off from what tabletop offers, I feel like they copied the units right from Rome 2 and Attila and reused them. They are way too tall and skinny. The Orcs and Dwarf proportions are on point, but these units, they look out of place for Warhammer. And those tiny crap spears would never hold up when facing a huge Chaos Warrior or a charge of Knights. Just ruins it for me.

Why did they have to spoil it with those two early battles they showed that had amazing graphics?'

I'm officially out.
    Last edited by Fallen851; March 23, 2016 at 04:32 PM.

Well seeya then. You're nitpicking over something that I actually like. The fact the humans look rather realistic is a key thing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Damn those vargheists in jackie's video looks frikking terrifying. That there something new and awesome that makes this thing worth the fantasy label.
    I totally agree. Think about having several units of vargheists, fell bats, and a zombie dragon mobbing a wyvern....
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; March 23, 2016 at 07:05 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts.
    Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

If I cannot find a way I will make one.

Hannibal Barca

Default Re: 4 new videos,new gameplay footage about vampires and Empire! campaign, siege,battle

That spear doesn't look realistic at all.

And you don't need to say goodbye, I'm not going to buy, but I'm going to hang around and watch the train wreck. That is the best part of every CA game for me. It entertains me.

You can just tell from what they show if the game will be good or not. I knew with Rome 2, I said it long before the game came out it wouldn't good, check my posts on the .org. And with such a disregard for details, I can tell again, this is getting a rush job.
    Last edited by Fallen851; March 23, 2016 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen851 View Post
    The spearmen do. The picture of the model you posted looks cartoonish. I disliked that when looking at tabletop.

Quote Originally Posted by CK23 View Post
    Yeah, I'm not 100% sure on the whole siege map thing. I like that its more focused honestly, I'd rather fight over 4 parts of a city then 1 massive city honestly. It'd be cool if they took the system from WAR (Warhammer Online) in which it was tiered, like you took the outer keeps, the walls, the outer city and finally the city center but that'd get repetative. I wonder what we'll see when it comes to the larger siege battles because as stated all the sieges we've seen so far were like 2 or 3 turns in.

Its funny, because a bunch of guys who I play Shogun with say they loved that feature...
    It was mentioned in the video that attacking via ladder entails some rather nasty debuffs for the units doing it. So unless you don't mind heavy casualties it seems balanced.

And you don't need to say goodbye, I'm not going to buy, but I'm going to hang around and watch the train wreck. That is the best part of every CA game for me. It entertains me.

You can just tell from what they show if the game will be good or not. I knew with Rome 2, I said it long before the game came out it wouldn't good, check my posts on the .org. And with such a disregard for details, I can tell again, this is getting a rush job.
    Good for you. I don't understand following a franchise just to try to badmouth it and try to see it fail. You must have lots of spare time.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; March 23, 2016 at 07:07 PM. Reason: merged
    Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

If I cannot find a way I will make one.

Hannibal Barca

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

They are spears. Let me tell you something funny: the models look like they do because they are models in plastic, and therefore they are made that way to resist the whims of gravity and such. Nothing more annoying than having your model break.

Now secondly, they are spears not pikes. Using them one handed with a shield is historically right. (Even for the renaissance period)

For whatever reason the pikes are mostly mercenaries not state troops. (Oh and most pikemen used by HRE were mercenary landsknecht pikemen as well)

So historically speaking i have no problems with this at all.
    Last edited by Påsan; March 23, 2016 at 04:54 PM.

They are spears. Let me tell you something funny: the models look like they do beacuse they are models in plastic, and therefore they are made that way to resist the whims of gravity and such. Nothing more annoying than having your model break.

Now secondly, they are spears not pikes. Using them one handed with a shield is historically right. (Even for the rennisance period)

For whatever reason the pikes are mostly mercenaries not state troops. (Oh and most pikemen used by HRE were mercenary landsknect pikemen as well)

So historically speaking i have no problems with this at all.

Why are we talking about the Holy Roman Empire in Warhammer? Sure Empire takes some cues from the HRE and history itself, but applying what you know about Spears and Pikes and the HRE to Warhammer makes zero sense. And I didn't create the spearmen for the Empire for Tabletop, so don't blame me how they look. I posted how Empire Spearman look in tabletop, that is how they should look in Total War Warhammer.

That isn't a difficult concept for CA, and I know that because they did a standup job with the Orcs and Dwarves, they didn't decide to use some non-Warhammer reference for the units of those races, why should they for the humans? If you're going to base the humans off history, why not base the Orcs off Warcraft and the Dwarves off Lord of the Rings? The logic is the same, it is only a difference in degree, not principle.

It doesn't make any sense. But CA apologists go to great lengths to defend the hilarity. You do realize the Orc models in Warhammer probably have more heft than they need to as well to prevent breaking, so why didn't CA apply the skinny/tall treatment to them too?

As for bad mouthing the series, I don't need to do it. I just watch everyone else do it. Again it entertains me for the same reason I like to listen to Donald Trump. Going back and watching the Rome 2 AI video from pre-release is just epic gold.

I don't want to try and change anyone's opinion.
    Last edited by Fallen851; March 23, 2016 at 04:57 PM.

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

I really hoped CA would improve on the combat animations especially when the bigger beasts and trolls try and smash the gates open!. They just move their hands and swipe at the gate and that's it, really CA?. I hope on release a vast majority of things have been fixed and optimized, especially for AMD video cards. The siege gameplay felt empty for me, seemed the only thing to do was ladder the walls or smash the gates down with your beasts and they lacked any proper animation in doing so just a lazy swipe without the gates actually taking noticeable damage.

Please do not mess this up CA, looks a very nice game but im worried it will fall flat and be riddled with anti consumer content DLC packs and other nonsensical rubbish these days.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

I gotta admit, if that's the game breaking thing for you...I really, genuinely feel bad for you. To each their own, also to note, it depends, but I've seen Empire Spearmen use 1 handed and 2 handed but thats just me, it is what it is.

Regardless, overall the game looks pretty solid. The campaign map looks beautiful and the Dwarven city, despite feeling "empty" looks awesome in terms of looks.

EDIT: @GasMask most of those videos stated that they were told that the animations were to be re-vamped if I remember correctly.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Citizen

Why are we talking about the Holy Roman Empire in Warhammer? Sure Empire takes some cues from the HRE and history itself, but applying what you know about Spears and Pikes and the HRE to Warhammer makes zero sense. And I didn't create the spearmen for the Empire for Tabletop, so don't blame me how they look. I posted how Empire Spearman look in tabletop, that is how they should look in Total War Warhammer.

Humans, spears and pikes dont change because you put them in a fantasy universe, they remain humans, spears and pikes. Whenever anyone try to represent a tabletop game, they dont try to accurately represent the models, be it in games, official art or movies, they represent what the models themselves are supposed to represent.

That isn't a difficult concept for CA, and I know that because they did a standup job with the Orcs and Dwarves, they didn't decide to use some non-Warhammer reference for the units of those races, why should they for the humans? If you're going to base the humans off history, why not base the Orcs off Warcraft and the Dwarves off Lord of the Rings? The logic is the same, it is only a difference in degree, not principle.
    Nice red herring fallacy. See above why humans look like humans and not plastic models.

It doesn't make any sense. But CA apologists go to great lengths to defend the hilarity.
    Hey another fallacy! I think this one is called ad hominem or something. Basically attack the post not the poster.

I don't want to try and change anyone's opinion.
    You just did. Third fallacy.

I think we'll add 'The Spears are the wrong thickness!!' to the big book of curious criticisms, along with the Rome 2 Sandals scandal of 2013.

Generally liked what I say in the vids, was going to criticize the lighting again but one of the 'tubers did mention CA were working on it. Hopefully big bright Braziers on the towers so we can see what's going on in Dwarfen sieges (I know it's underground but still...). Also, they added something like a spellbook... definitely gets the nod from me. The change to AoW3 style siege mechanics is more of a wait and see, imo. Condensing it because of flying and ethereal units is understandable, along with making them more focused and mobile (It seems to force the assault now), but it doesn't mean the AI is any more capable of making full use of it.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    I think we'll add 'The Spears are the wrong thickness!!' to the big book of curious criticisms, along with the Rome 2 Sandals scandal of 2013.

Generally liked what I say in the vids, was going to criticize the lighting again but one of the 'tubers did mention CA were working on it. Hopefully big bright Braziers on the towers so we can see what's going on in Dwarfen sieges (I know it's underground but still...). Also, they added something like a spellbook... definitely gets the nod from me. The change to AoW3 style siege mechanics is more of a wait and see, imo. Condensing it because of flying and ethereal units is understandable, along with making them more focused and mobile (It seems to force the assault now), but it doesn't mean the AI is any more capable of making full use of it.
    But, can we take a minute and talk about that AI though....
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

this game is starting to look pretty decent. I really wish they added some crazy flag action....looked a little boring without the banners and flags!

Citizen

Yeah banners would deffo be #1 on a list about what fans want the most. Honestly I think its an animation issue. As in there's so much creeping and crawling and my guess is that they dont want to add a whole bunch of new animations for the lot of it.

No one is saying anything about the green smog/ fart clouds?

I'm not sure when these videos are recorded in relation to the greenskin vs brettonia gameplay vid but didn't CA say the stink clouds were a dust cloud bug that they would fix?

In the vampire count vs greenskin siege... the Orcs vs zombies were basically a battle between 200 green stink clouds lmao.

As for the ladders well.. I think I consider it an improvement over Shogun 2 where I fully considered the feature broken due to the 20% attrition units took scaling walls (20% fell and died and no they weren't getting hit by missiles), made beating the AI super easy while outnumbered by the AI 8 to 1.
    This is an improvement over that since it seems like only applying a moral debuff and you have the option of actually taking a siege tower.

They noted the Greenskins versus Vampires was from December or January and issues were being worked on.

Citizen

Its a dust bug. And yeah it needs to go.

Its a dust bug. And yeah it needs to go.
    I'm fairly sure its obvious exactly what its meant to be.

But if they want to call it a dust bug that's fine as long as it gets removed.

Chris P. Bacon's Avatar Semisalis

I am very disappointed with how the spearmen look of the Empire, and the units in general. They hold these tiny, thin little spears with a single hand? What?

CA can't get history right sure, but most people can't. At least they should capture the how units look when you know 100% exactly what they look like:

See how thick and long the spears are? Note how they hold them with two hands? And when they aren't using them to try and stab something, they have them shouldered, they don't hold them with a single fist because it is a real spear with some heft. Terrible job CA, attention to detail close to zero.

That and the body proportions are just off from what tabletop offers, I feel like they copied the units right from Rome 2 and Attila and reused them. They are way too tall and skinny. The Orcs and Dwarf proportions are on point, but these units, they look out of place for Warhammer. And those tiny crap spears would never hold up when facing a huge Chaos Warrior or a charge of Knights. Just ruins it for me.

Why did they have to spoil it with those two early battles they showed that had amazing graphics?'

I'm officially out.
    Thats only with Spearman w/ shields. Without shields they have the right animation as shown in the VC introduction video.

Also,
    THEYGOTTHESANDALSWRONGLITERALLYUNPLAYABLE

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Not that impressed. And seriously? Cavs have no secondary weapons?

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I noticed, CA, Essen is now Eschen.

I feel somewhat heard (and this).

Thanks for that. I'll appreciate the reduction in mental pictures of gray landscapes spotted with industrial smokestacks steaming by the Ruhr river during my Warhammer playthroughs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast