Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Photo Gallery

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Photo Gallery

Very nice pics, KAM2150. Fun to see that special graphics tweak, too. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, are you using a special trick in order to be able to get so close to the soldiers without them fading out (besides the default_camera_type 2 setting in the preferences file (debug mode))?

Since this is a photo gallery thread, I guess I now have to contribute a little to the show. Nothing remarkable image-wise, not even edited a little, just raw history, a sample of the grim action in one corner of Hellas long ago...

The last heavy hoplite of Athens, regretting the attempt to break a Boeotian siege

Argives with head-on tactics at sea, just like on land

Last edited by Demokritos; April 10, 2016 at 06:10 PM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Great Images!

That chap in the second picture, top right, flying off the ship. He was ok in the end right?

Some pics from me..
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by charlieh View Post
    That chap in the second picture, top right, flying off the ship. He was ok in the end right?
    Haha. Yes, I think so. A mermaid took care of him. For the fate of the other chaps, I regret to inform you that you'll have to send an envoy with an inquiry to Poseidon holding court somewhere in the Sargasso Sea.

@M@x1mus - Liked your first pic most. Not only for the composition, but also for its clear display of the outstanding 3D-modelling skills behind this mod. Very impressive.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Love those first screens from Demokritos and M@x1mus
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

My 2 cents

@Tenerife_Boy - First pic: very dramatic! Got me thinking of that which someone from this period - perhaps Thukydides - might have meant with the saying: "The strong did would they could and the weak suffered what they must". Second pic: there it is again - how do you guys do it, getting so close to the action? Makes for a stronger impact in some way.

Another moment of history:

First blows
    War between Gortyn and Argos

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Just press "N" and then you can zoom in with without fading stuff
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Nice one Democritos.. I like those pics showing the action in general..This along with the last of Tene are going to the mods steam page. Cheers

Thanks for the kind words guys. Also by pressing down the wheel of your mousse you get a down camera. I also use splenyi better camera ( compatible with all mods version)

@KAM 2150 and Tenerife_boy - Thanks for the tips, guys.

@Phalangitis - You're welcome.

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    "The strong did would they could and the weak suffered what they must"
    It was indeed Thukydides, who wrote this down in his history of the Peloponnesian War. It is from the Melian Dialogue. The Athenians send an embassy to the island to force it into their empire. Threatened by Athens, the Melians argue that they are neutrals in this war, despite their Spartan ancestors. The chief of the Athenian delegates replies that it is impossible to remain neutral in such a war and that they should give in to Athenian power now or feel the consequences.
    The Melians, hoping on Spartan reinforcements and pointing to moral reasons, decline. To that, the Athenian counters that politics and war don't work like that and that moral and philosophy might be nice and shiny, but in reality ''the Strong will do what they can and the weak will suffer what they must.'' Shortly later, the Athenians besiege Melos, take it and slaughter its male population.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Quote Originally Posted by Mausolos of Caria View Post
    It was indeed Thukydides, who wrote this down in his history of the Peloponnesian War. It is from the Melian Dialogue. The Athenians send an embassy to the island to force it into their empire. Threatened by Athens, the Melians argue that they are neutrals in this war, despite their Spartan ancestors. The chief of the Athenian delegates replies that it is impossible to remain neutral in such a war and that they should give in to Athenian power now or feel the consequences.
    The Melians, hoping on Spartan reinforcements and pointing to moral reasons, decline. To that, the Athenian counters that politics and war don't work like that and that moral and philosophy might be nice and shiny, but in reality ''the Strong will do what they can and the weak will suffer what they must.'' Shortly later, the Athenians besiege Melos, take it and slaughter its male population.
    http://youtu.be/PNzHOqjMHwY
    From a favorite of mine, the war that never ends, wish we saw more of that on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Mausolos of Caria View Post
    Grim story behind those words. Tragic meaning. Gives the modern re-enactment of the context a chilling undertone. Thanks for taking the time to elucidate me on their source, guys.
    Last edited by Demokritos; April 14, 2016 at 05:05 PM.

Thought i should return once more to show the result of the camera tips I got from a couple of gentlemen in this thread. They do give you a chance to experience the game from a novel perspective. Got them just in time for an epic standoff between Argos and Korinthos.

The great spectacle: facing the Korinthian army (badly outnumbered)
    Metoikoi hoplites in the service of Korinthos
    Now - fire!
    (normal shot)
    Aim carefully!
    Waiting for their turn
    Caught in the middle

AMAZING!! (+rep)
    That 's my kind of pics . The immersion , the feel of the battlefield. You made me think i was a part of them . I felt the anxiety facing all those shields comming for me. Imagine the fear they would feel. Imagine the fear also if those shields had some painted Lambda in front of them.. (that was the Spartan inside me talking..Sorry if i get carried away he emerges into the surface.)

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

@Demokritos Nice pictures and story! Yeah the background to that quote may remind us how harsh things are and were in reality. Thucydides founds the tradition of political realism with this one sentence really- the strong will prevail and will rule in an international anarchy of states who only want their own advantages.

Linke, thanks for the link, I think I have seen it before. The guys on it seem as dead serious as Political Realists themselves
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Quote Originally Posted by Phalangitis View Post
    AMAZING!! (+rep)
    That 's my kind of pics . The immersion , the feel of the battlefield. You made me think i was a part of them . I felt the anxiety facing all those shields comming for me. Imagine the fear they would feel. Imagine the fear also if those shields had some painted Lambda in front of them.. (that was the Spartan inside me talking..Sorry if i get carried away he emerges into the surface.)
    Glad you liked the show. Yes, I had a similar experience, thanks in part to that novel perspective. The other part came from the facts of the engagement. Involving over 7000 soldiers, that battle (on H/H) proved to be one of the most exciting TW moments for me so far. Not only were my troops outnumbered 2 to 3, but they could see Rhodian and Cretan sharpshooters, tough Thracian peltasts, two or three fast-moving cavalry units, three elite guard units and three generals, among others, in the ranks of the opposite army. And they knew it was led by a four-star general, while their own was young and inexperienced. Oh boy. But the latter had 500 of the finest Argive hoplites on his side. Could have spun a fully-fledged AAR from those facts...

You know, a friend of mine has inspired me a great deal in like manner. He's the master of illustrated AARs, IMO. Check out his own thread over at the Darthmod: Shogun II forums for evidence. He calls himself le_fred.

Can't help ending this post with the following image:

Timotheos, King of Argos, after a glorious victory -
    literally
    Last edited by Demokritos; April 15, 2016 at 07:52 PM.

Again great pic the last one, holding their place over their dead foes in a decisive manner. Also it must be raining since a see a certain shine in the shields and this makes it even more atmospheric

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast