Thread: ability to add Cutscenes to Mod

Default ability to add Cutscenes to Mod

Hello , Basically if I made a campaign can i make Cut scenes ?! if so how?!

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: ability to add Cutscenes to Mod

Not yet, there's still some difficulties, you can but you'd need their program as of such. Refer to the CA forums for asking on cut scenes. I'll link you up.

oh thanks! , that would be great if you can link me up!

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

I would like to know also how to add our own cutscenes in Attila. Especially for Rome II; I've been trying to modify the cutscenes for ages, and all I've been able to do is replace existing .bik files with my own custom ones, but the audio seems to be non-replacable and I'm not sure how to actually "add" your own .bik videos, rather than replace existing ones in the pack files (such as the capture of Roma cutscene - there's multiple duplicates; one for each culture, yet they're all the same video. Those duplicated video slots could, for example, be used for custom ones instead).

If I manage to find a way to get the custom audio to work, and add them without replacing, I can get to work on completely new cutscenes, even use my university's motion capture suite (it's open to anyone wanting to learn how to use it for their own projects). With UU3D, I can convert any variantmesh + rig it myself to be compatible for the motion capture animations + render it in Arnold / use a matinee in Unreal Engine 4; imagine having agent action cutscenes again.
    Last edited by Benjin; March 21, 2016 at 05:19 PM.
    3D ARTIST (MODELS/TEXTURES), ANIMATOR, RIGGER

Quote Originally Posted by ferallag View Post
    oh thanks! , that would be great if you can link me up!
    Here's the thread and the official CA response on adding audio custscenes. Please note I am no expert, and I only know a little. But I think this may help.
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...uture-tools/p1

* Are there any plans to allow access to the video making programme in which you create your trailers?
    We have looked in to this – we have several internal tools that are required to make our trailers. A trailer is comprised of; an environment made in Terry, VFX in our VFX editor, Animation in our animation editor, animated scenes as well call them in our composite scene editor, model variants in Variant editor, etc. Each of these tools has its own quirks and dependencies. We would have to give a sub-set of these out (some are already) to make the trailers actually possible. It is something we are working towards as a long term goal though.

For both Benjin, and Ferallag,

This may be of interest to you about how CA creates their own trailers:

Once we’ve storyboarded and written a script for a cinematic trailer, we set to work with our in-house cinematics tool (It’s called CINDY if you’re interested). This enables us to set up environments, units, models, terrain, and create custom camera paths directly within the game engine. Today’s Karl Franz trailer, for example, was set up in the Black Fire Pass battle map you’ll see in-game.

The cinematics team often ask our team of animators to make some custom animations for these trailers, chiefly for when a main character is gesturing and gesticulating. These aren’t generally made for the game but they help us to explain what’s going on and are often also used for in-game cutscenes. This being so, Total War: Warhammer offers an embarrassment of riches. Our animators have gone to town on hand-crafting spectacular combat-anims for many monsters and beasts in the game – the kind of stuff you just can’t get in the mocap studio. In today’s Karl Franz trailer for example, you’ll see a giant pick up a soldier and smash him repeatedly into the ground. This is just one of a variety of attack animations you see the giants perform in battle.

When we render the final video out, we add some post-processing cinematic effects such as enhanced depth of field and motion blur. Not features you’ll see in the game, but in these cinematic trailers we’re trying to create atmosphere and tell a story. These techniques help us do that.

So in a nutshell, that’s what an in-engine trailer is for us. We use the game engine itself as the set, along with all the props and actors it provides. We add some custom animations and some cinematic effects to make it a better watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjin View Post
    I would like to know also how to add our own cutscenes in Attila. Especially for Rome II; I've been trying to modify the cutscenes for ages, and all I've been able to do is replace existing .bik files with my own custom ones, but the audio seems to be non-replacable and I'm not sure how to actually "add" your own, rather than replace existing ones (such as the capture of Roma cutscene - there's four duplicates; one for each culture, yet they're all the same video. Those four slots can be used for custom ones instead).

If I manage to find a way to get the custom audio to work, and add them without replacing, I can get to work on completely new cutscenes, even use my university's motion capture suite (it's open to anyone wanting to learn how to use it for their own projects. With UU3D, I can convert any variantmesh + rig it myself to be compatible for the motion capture animations; imagine having agent action cutscenes again).
    It should be possible, but it would perhaps suffer the same issue that the audio is non-replaceable, the problem is that they're created within CA's engine, so am not sure on the audio side.

If you can do that Benjin, then that would be really excellent

Recently a mod came in Rome 2 where Artstudio managed to import most of RII city models into Attila. Here's the thread link, and he did it by himself.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...tal-War-ATTILA

So that means if he can do it, then you guys can as well.

This is the kind of stuff that CA would be using:

The game engine supports assets from major 3D applications like 3ds Max, Maya, Softimage, CINEMA 4D, Blender and more, meaning there is no real restrictions to the type of file formats that it supports. With the recent release of Unity 4.3 it also has native 2D capabilities, supporting sprites and 2D physics, making it a great game engine to use for the development of 2D games.

So you can create intros, but you can't replace the audio, something that's been an issue since RII.

Have a look here:
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...-roman-faction

After many attempts to implement seperate faction intro's for Rome 2, I have finally succeeded. However, audio still remains unmoddable, so therefore I start off this major intro mod with a very small addition. The Faction Rome ( all 3 families) will receive the existing prologue outro cutscene as an intro video for the main campaign.

But it would be expensive though to buy them. 3Ds Max and Maya are the most likely - since they're often used for animations.

I don't know how to make a cutscene, but I hope this helps.
    Last edited by The Wandering Storyteller; March 21, 2016 at 05:28 PM.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Ah, thanks for all the links and info Trumph of Rome. Wow, what that guy did looks amazing; I didn't think it was possible to just convert a map from TW:R2 to TW:A like that - thought you needed to use TED to make your own but reimport the variantmeshes. And yes, I've seen that CA post from quite a while ago, and the old Lux Aeterna mod as well (spoken to Grudge already, we were talking about cutscene audio two weeks ago). I don't need to buy 3DS Max or Maya; I already have them since I'm a 2nd year Animation student and need them for my briefs. Other software, such as Marmoset 2, CINEMA 4D etc I can use on the course's computer labs or can sometimes get for free if I ask the IT area around the corner to reserve an extra key for me if they happen to get a batch to give out (or request a discount - lots of deals available for students to encourage all of us to learn new software, but for some of the more expensive software (e.g. Arnold renderer, NUKEx or the Quixel Suite) I'd just use the labs).

Perhaps over the next week in my spare time I could make a cutscene or two (e.g. a faction defeat video, a spy agent action etc) to demonstrate what you would see if I were to make these cutscenes?
    Last edited by Benjin; March 21, 2016 at 06:56 PM.

@Benjin

No problem, been a big fan of your mods for sure!

Me too, what he's done is amazing work, and ofc once CA release their fixes for TED, terry and BOB, the process of converting settlements should be easier.

Well you know the nuts and bolts of this than I do, and to the OP, I think he would benefit from your expertise. If you're a 2nd year animation student then you'll obviously have a lot of the animation stuff.

Yeah why not, show and post a few here, to demonstrate what can be done. The main thing is getting it in the game, and how to use the total war in-engine game to make those cinematics, etc.

Although you steer the discussion now as I don't think I know enough to contribute, I've got the links and stuff, and so this is great that you have access to the material. I'm going to get busy within a few weeks so I'm busy really. Keep posting here and I'll check in the future to see progress!

Thank you so much , you've been great help!!!
    i want to put my own custom made cut scenes most probably 2D
    thank you again I'll let you know if I find something new!

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Okay, I haven't yet been working on the actual cutscenes themselves (been doing Indian dhotis for the mod Vae Victis), but I have managed to finally add new cutscenes to Rome II (before, I was just replacing existing files in the "movies_rome2.pack" file), and also found a (cheap) way of making the audio play for them as well. I'll start making one of the faction intros in a few months (maybe June) after my course is over.

As for Attila, I've been trying to find a way to play + convert .ca_vp8 files (the current file format for videos, whereas Rome II uses the traditional .bik file format), but no luck.
    Last edited by Benjin; July 08, 2016 at 12:29 PM.