Thread: I am little confused about recruiting some basic units.

Default I am little confused about recruiting some basic units.

I started playing with Ostland, and I noticed I cannot recruit anything in Bohsenfels, in castle Lenkster I was able to recruit some basic infantry so I assumed I can recruit other units, so I invested in a gunsmith which is very expensive, but it turns out it cannot recruit canons for some reason!

My questions are:
    Why can't I recruit any units in my own castle with my own culture almost 95% ?
    Why can't I recruit "certain" units in in my the other castle? And if I cannot recruit specific units how am I supposed to know that?
    Why is there even an option for these buildings or no warning, I mean I waste valuable campaign time and money.

Vossie's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: I am little confused about recruiting some basic units.

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    I started playing with Ostland, and I noticed I cannot recruit anything in Bohsenfels, in castle Lenkster I was able to recruit some basic infantry so I assumed I can recruit other units, so I invested in a gunsmith which is very expensive, but it turns out it cannot recruit canons for some reason!

My questions are:
    Why can't I recruit any units in my own castle with my own culture almost 95% ?
    Why can't I recruit "certain" units in in my the other castle? And if I cannot recruit specific units how am I supposed to know that?
    Why is there even an option for these buildings or no warning, I mean I waste valuable campaign time and money.
    This isn't Third Age so culture doesn't matter.

To recruit cannons you'll need a Gunsmith and an Alchemist Lab.
    Imperium Romanum

Most Imperial Units require that you have at the very least a Blacksmith to recruit them - so you'll have to build 1st a Leather Tanner, and then a Blacksmith - then you're elite units require whatever is after that (I think it is an Armourer - may be wrong here)

But that's most likely your issue - I had the same question when I 1st started playing CoW

Spend a few minutes looking at the descriptions of the buildings available to you in the build menu or construction tree browser. They will say what units are enabled by each building. To build most infantry you would require a building from the Town Watch series plus a a building from an an Armorer series starting with the Blacksmith. Higher tier building will speed up recruitment and give improve your units' armor respectively. Cavalry, Archers, Gunners, and Artillery units has different building series as a requirement. Knights are very exclusive and require some top tier buildings first to build one of their basic recruitment building. Culture doesn't matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajpav View Post
    Most Imperial Units require that you have at the very least a Blacksmith to recruit them - so you'll have to build 1st a Leather Tanner, and then a Blacksmith - then you're elite units require whatever is after that (I think it is an Armourer - may be wrong here)

But that's most likely your issue - I had the same question when I 1st started playing CoW
    Knightly orders require Large Stables and Armour factories i believe. or master armourer at least.

Quote Originally Posted by tarenor View Post
    Knightly orders require Large Stables and Armour factories i believe. or master armourer at least.
    Nope Knights are only in towns available where you already have those specific Knight Castles or chappels. Large Stables with Armory just provides you with Pistoliers in their best armor.

Quote Originally Posted by godwrote View Post
    Nope Knights are only in towns available where you already have those specific Knight Castles or chappels. Large Stables with Armory just provides you with Pistoliers in their best armor.
    Places such as Mordhiem and marienburg, which are rebel, you do have to build both things before you can have em

Vossie's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by godwrote View Post
    Every town ( if large enough ) can build the right building combination to unlock Knight chapels.
    Imperium Romanum

little off the side, but I tinkered with the populations of the towns, and it's not just the growth that's turned off They removed upgrading as well When you have a village and you spam add_population "insert here" it just keeps going up but no upgrading. Though I do like how it is atm with 0 growth, a few places i would atleast like as large towns, specifically near the frontier.