Thread: Do you rename your cities?

Default Do you rename your cities?

Do you rename your cities? I'm playing as the Visigoths and taking over Eastern Roman sentlements. I renamed them into GulÞbargús and Alaricbargús (Gold City and Alaric's City). The first is named since the main export is gold, the second since Alaric took over it in a pretty cool battle.

I'd be curious to know what everyone has renamed theirs as, and if you did, did you stick to culturally-accurate names?

Default Re: Do you rename your cities?

It's not something I've ever done, but I'm planning on doing this when I start my Himyar campaign. Need to re-establish Jerusalem after all.
    The guy who used to test DeI and FotE on Mac.

No, I prefer to keep the names so I know where they are. If I rename them I'd just get confused about locations and also not remember the original name, meaning if I reference them here as "was unknown city name, but I renamed it lolgrad" or "stinkybutvile" no one will know wtf I'm talking about.

From a game function practical standpoint, bookmarking locations would be more more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Richard View Post
    Do you rename your cities? I'm playing as the Visigoths and taking over Eastern Roman sentlements. I renamed them into GulÞbargús and Alaricbargús (Gold City and Alaric's City). The first is named since the main export is gold, the second since Alaric took over it in a pretty cool battle.

I'd be curious to know what everyone has renamed theirs as, and if you did, did you stick to culturally-accurate names?
    I appreciate anyone who breaks out the old runic letters. Wouldn't eð be more appropriate than þorn in that name though?

I made the more_modern_settlement... mod so I don't have to rename in each campaign.
    Classical World - overhaul mod for Hegemony 3 , Clash of The Ancients. The Real Time Grand Strategy equivalent of Total War
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/classical-world-5

Usually, no. I might rename one or two cities but usually not to a historical name. Area51, NiagaraFalls.

Just don't let your drunk soldiers name it
    http://i.imgur.com/KlssVFF.jpg?1
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Nah, It's ingrained in me not to rename cities because it used to up the scripts in mods like EB or RS.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewinner14 View Post
    I appreciate anyone who breaks out the old runic letters. Wouldn't eð be more appropriate than þorn in that name though?
    They were basically used interchangeably.

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I renamed most of the cities in Britain and Spain as the saxons and visigoths respectively according to historical accuracy.
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse

They were basically used interchangeably.
    Eventually yes, but eth was originally used for the voiceless 'th' while thorn for the voiced 'th', which i believe was still the case in Gothic. Modern Icelandic convention is to use eth unless the word begins with th, then use thorn.

I'm not sure, all the gothic dictionaries I've found have used the eth exclusively.

I'm not sure, all the gothic dictionaries I've found have used the eth exclusively.
    ð (eth) appears as a listed letter in the alphabet, but you're right, all the text i've found only has þ (thorn)

I looked into it, and all the other germanic languages seem to use the rule you found (different th's) except Gothic. Quite strange.

However, I also found, as you said, that they were eventually just used interchangeably.

I looked into it, and all the other germanic languages seem to use the rule you found (different th's) except Gothic. Quite strange.

However, I also found, as you said, that they were eventually just used interchangeably.
    And eventually was replaced by "d" in most germanic languages. Moveable type finished the þ off in the languages that kept it (besides Icelandic), since none of the common typesets carried it, it was replaced by the letter Y. So when you see "Ye oldde shoppe" that Y is really a Th.

And now whenever I hear some say "Ye oldy shopy" I have a strong desire to punch them in the face >.>

Tryggvi's Avatar Libertus

I renamed them into GulÞbargús and Alaricbargús (Gold City and Alaric's City).
    In Gothic, it should be Gulþabaurgs and Alareikbaurgs (pronounced like Ah-lah-reek-borgs).
    Wouldn't eð be more appropriate than þorn in that name though?
    Gothic had a special letter for voiceless th which conventinally transcribed as þorn. Voiced th and d were in fact a sinlge sound that changed depending on its position and was signified by d-like letter.

As for me, during Gothic/Vandalic campaigns, I always convert cities into Gothic spelling, somewhere to historical one (Rome was Ruma in Gothic), somewhere - according to my own estimation.

Voiced th and d were in fact a sinlge sound that changed depending on its position and was signified by d-like letter.
    But sometimes voiced th signified by d-letter could be devoiced. Then it often was signified by 'thorn'-letter. However, voiceless th never became voiced despite of its position.
    That's because in Gothic (and in all Gemanic languages) voiced th and voiceless th actually have different origin.
    Last edited by Tiberios; March 21, 2016 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewinner14 View Post
    And eventually was replaced by "d" in most germanic languages. Moveable type finished the þ off in the languages that kept it (besides Icelandic), since none of the common typesets carried it, it was replaced by the letter Y. So when you see "Ye oldde shoppe" that Y is really a Th.

And now whenever I hear some say "Ye oldy shopy" I have a strong desire to punch them in the face >.>
    Yeah, I knew about the replacement of Thorn with Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryggvi View Post
    In Gothic, it should be Gulþabaurgs and Alareikbaurgs (pronounced like Ah-lah-reek-borgs).

Gothic had a special letter for voiceless th which conventinally transcribed as þorn. Voiced th and d were in fact a sinlge sound that changed depending on its position and was signified by d-like letter.

As for me, during Gothic/Vandalic campaigns, I always convert cities into Gothic spelling, somewhere to historical one (Rome was Ruma in Gothic), somewhere - according to my own estimation.
    How did you find out they would call it Ruma?
    Last edited by Tiberios; March 21, 2016 at 06:06 PM.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

In some campaign (depend my faction) I like to rename cities.

Tryggvi's Avatar Libertus

How did you find out they would call it Ruma?
    It's an attested form.

If it was possible to settle as Huns, I would definitely do that. Like Attila's Oba/Yurt, Bleda's Oba/Yurt, Dengizich's Oba/Yurt etc. etc.

i didnt even know i was able to, lol