Thread: Ancient Greek city in southern Turkey unearthed, with beautiful mosaics

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Ancient Greek city in southern Turkey unearthed, with beautiful mosaics

Stunning 2200-Year-Old Mosaics Discovered in Ancient Greek City

Three new mosaics were recently discovered in the ancient Greek city of Zeugma, which is located in the present-day province of Gaziantep in southern Turkey. The incredibly well-preserved mosaics date back to 2nd century BC.

Zeugma was considered one of the most important centers of the Eastern Roman Empire and the ancient city has provided a treasure trove of discoveries with 2000-3000 houses in remarkably good condition. Excavations at Zeugma started in 2007 and continue to this day.

It's a short article, but you can read the rest by following the link.

This is pretty cool! It's always nice to see Hellenistic art during the period of pre-Roman conquest and the cusp of Roman domination in the region. It looks like the last one spells out "Θάλεια", or "Thalia", the Greek muse of comedy and poetry. I could be wrong, though, perhaps it is any number of different mythological personages named Thalia (one of the three Graces, a Nereid, or a nymph).

Default Re: Ancient Greek city in southern Turkey unearthed, with beautiful mosaics

Indeed, the mosaics are very beautiful, although those depicted in the linked article had already been discovered more than a year ago. Therefore, either the author is somewhat of a slowpoke or he didn't have access to any updated material, so he was forced to use photos of the already discovered ones to enrich his article. Still, they are great mosaics and as you correctly assumed, Roma, the first mosaic concerns the Nine Muses of the Greek mythology.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Calliope, the Muse of epic poetry is located in the center of the circle, while Melpomene, the Muse of singing and tragedy is found between Thaleia and Terpsichore, the Muse of dancing. On the other side, we can see Euterpe, the Muse of music, between Thaleia and Clio, the Muse of history. Next to Clio is Urania, the Muse of astronomy, next to whom, Polyhymnia, the Muse of sacred poetry is found. Finally, Erato, the Muse of lyric poetry is located between Polyhymnia and Terpsichore.
    The second mosaic depicts Oceanus, the god of... oceans, surprisingly and his daughter, Tethys, also an aquatic goddess.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: Ancient Greek city in southern Turkey unearthed, with beautiful mosaics

Absolutely stunning
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Looks great, obviously

And yes, most of those pics have been around for many months.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Indeed, the mosaics are very beautiful, although those depicted in the linked article had already been discovered more than a year ago. Therefore, either the author is somewhat of a slowpoke or he didn't have access to any updated material, so he was forced to use photos of the already discovered ones to enrich his article. Still, they are great mosaics and as you correctly assumed, Roma, the first mosaic concerns the Nine Muses of the Greek mythology.
    Calliope, the Muse of epic poetry is located in the center of the circle, while Melpomene, the Muse of singing and tragedy is found between Thaleia and Terpsichore, the Muse of dancing. On the other side, we can see Euterpe, the Muse of music, between Thaleia and Clio, the Muse of history. Next to Clio is Urania, the Muse of astronomy, next to whom, Polyhymnia, the Muse of sacred poetry is found. Finally, Erato, the Muse of lyric poetry is located between Polyhymnia and Terpsichore.
    The second mosaic depicts Oceanus, the god of... oceans, surprisingly and his daughter, Tethys, also an aquatic goddess.
    Ah! Cool. Thanks for the explanation. I was unaware about this entirely, so if I haven't seen it, it's new to me!

Thanks for sharing.

I only have to complain that it was called on of the most important centres in the eastern roman empire. As a city it was not that important except for beeing an legionary camp for some time. The real relevance was that it was the only major euphrates crossing and therefore a major route in to northern iraq.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Praeses

So this was classical religious Tinder? Swipe left with your foot on the Goddess you wanted to worship?

I have to say the idea of putting images of religious figures on the floor doesn't seem to convey an idea of respect. I suspect the religious outlook may have been a bit cynical at the time these were created.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus View Post
    Thanks for sharing.

I only have to complain that it was called on of the most important centres in the eastern roman empire. As a city it was not that important except for beeing an legionary camp for some time. The real relevance was that it was the only major euphrates crossing and therefore a major route in to northern iraq.
    Typically shoddy journalism, everything has to be a "story' rather than just the facts.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I remember I did a small project on Roman Mosaics, particularly those found in the Rhineland (Trier, Cologne etc). I must say that the style looks extremely similar and even having some eastern motifs as well. Though the Rhineland mosaics were mostly found in villas.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Beautiful artwork

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Mesmerising stuff.

Amazing how preserved the paint job is after all this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I remember I did a small project on Roman Mosaics, particularly those found in the Rhineland (Trier, Cologne etc). I must say that the style looks extremely similar and even having some eastern motifs as well. Though the Rhineland mosaics were mostly found in villas.
    Well, they don't call it Greco-Roman art for nothing! Roman artwork was basically influenced every step of the way by Greeks living within and outside of their Republic/Empire. Late Roman art is a slightly different story, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I have to say the idea of putting images of religious figures on the floor doesn't seem to convey an idea of respect. I suspect the religious outlook may have been a bit cynical at the time these were created.
    That's how we view things today. I'm not sure if it's very applicable to ancient Hellenistic culture. Walking along the smooth surface of a floor (built for that purpose) isn't exactly the same thing as deliberately and disrespectfully trampling a banner beneath your feet. It's also easier to have a mosaic on the floor and a fresco/mural on the walls of one's villa. The frescoes/murals would have had similar depictions of the same gods and goddesses.

After thinking a bit about it. I wonder where those mosaiks were located. I am far away from beeing a mosaik expert, especially for that time, but the first one in this thread with it's order of figurines looks similar to what i have seen in andron-rooms for the hellenistic period. But than again the motive of gods is a bit strange.

When my currents projects are finished i really need to read a book about zeugma. Thanks.

Proud to be a real Prussian.