Thread: New old player, what to start with?

Default New old player, what to start with?

Hello,

Long time EB 1 player here, finally getting around to trying EB2.

I'd like some advice regarding what to start with as my first campaign.

From a history and EB1 standpoint my favorite factions are Arche Seleukeia and Quart-hadast,but I'd rather not do any of them at start.

Seleukeia have a huge territory, so I felt they were a bit overwhelming at first in EB1
    Quart-Hadast is getting reforms in 2.2, so I'd rather wait until then with playing them.

I generally like Hellenistic factions,so I'm currently torn between Macedonia and Epeiros.

Which of these two (other Hellenistic faction suggestions also welcome) did you find more fun and/or would recommend for a first campaign?

Biarchus

Default Re: New old player, what to start with?

I enjoy Makedonia. I have not played Epeiros but I have played Pergamon several times and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's enjoyable starting outside of the 3 way war in Greece.

Both are fine. Maybe use Makedonia this time around and wait for 2.2 for Epeiros since they get the Illyrian Thureophoroi and Thorakitai added to their roster

Aww yiss, Illyrian invasion!
    A dude made a post about that he has info about possible Veneti and Illyrian axemen units. Ill message him to show his sources to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Aww yiss, Illyrian invasion!
    A dude made a post about that he has info about possible Veneti and Illyrian axemen units. Ill message him to show his sources to the team.
    He's already on the team as one of our historians (he's been helping us unofficially for years).

Why not try out the KB? The Bosporan kingdom is one of the most uniquely placed hellenistic factions; who doesn't love a helleno-nomad(FMs are primarily hellenes, of course) fusion faction?

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    He's already on the team as one of our historians (he's been helping us unofficially for years).
    Will the axe lads appear, then?

Talking about Epeiros: had a look around. Is there any way to replenish the Elephants or are they a one-off thing?

Quote Originally Posted by LordBlades View Post
    Talking about Epeiros: had a look around. Is there any way to replenish the Elephants or are they a one-off thing?
    Unless you go to India, one-off thing.

Is it just me or are elephants really weak? Most of the time they get murdered before even reaching the enemy infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    Is it just me or are elephants really weak? Most of the time they get murdered before even reaching the enemy infantry.
    Nah, you just can't expect them to walk through hail of javelins and survive, like Hannibal did at Zama. Hold them back a bit, wait till enemy is engaged, and with one well timed charge you can collapse their whole infantry line.

Boogie Knight's Avatar Biarchus

Can't comment on other factions' elephants, but Taksashila's are incredible. Like Sar1n says though, don't try to deploy them against infantry on their own. Elephants were never meant to be used that way; they're part of a mixed army. Javelins were one of the biggest threats to both the elephant and its mahout, and as most of the infantry in this game is armed with javelins it can be a recipe for disaster. I once lost three-quarters of a bodyguard unit, including the FM, in a single javelin volley when trying to force a bridge with just elephants. But when deployed against non-skirmishing infantry they can be devastating, not to mention their effects on cavalry - even heavy cavalry - and already-engaged units of any kind. They're well worth the cost and upkeep if you can afford it.

If you're looking for a faction to tide you over until 2.2, I'd actually recommend Baktria. They have a mostly-implemented mission system that adds an interesting wrinkle to the early campaign. Plus, you'll get to conquer the Seleucids!

Quote Originally Posted by adun12345 View Post
    If you're looking for a faction to tide you over until 2.2, I'd actually recommend Baktria. They have a mostly-implemented mission system that adds an interesting wrinkle to the early campaign. Plus, you'll get to conquer the Seleucids!
    The problem is that the reforms are broken for Baktria in 2.1. The good thing is that everything is fixed in 2.2 and more

I've had good experiences with them, but they are tricky to use. They do smash infantry lines when deployed properly, as mentioned by others above, and destroy heavy cav units(skirmishing cav can be another story with their missiles).

I guess i will have to change my tactics a bit. I havent encountered them so far outside of the starting armies.

Epeiros gets my vote.
    It's a fun, challenging campaign. I love fighting against Carthage and Rome and trying to conquer Sicily and Italy.
    Especially Rome's mighty, numerous infantry gave me lots of headaches in Italy campaign. I remembered I was once surrounded by 3 full stacks of Roman armies in Taras. Fortunately, I managed to kill them all in 3 bloody battles. It's a costly winning regardless.

1. You've to fight fiercely to gain a foothold in Italy. Rome and Carthange would attack you sooner or later. AND they are MIGHTY compared to Epeiros's weak economy scale and army size in the beginning of campaign. CHALLENGING is the the best word to describe your situation.
    2. Epeiros army consists of Greeks, Illyrians, Italians, Gaul mercenaries which adds a lot of fun to player's experience.
    3. There're lots of Greek colonies in southern Italy and Sicily. So you gain a relatively stable supply of Greek colonists and economy aids once you eliminate Carthage influence in Sicily. It's wealthy both in economy and Greek colonist points.
    4. Finally, ROME. It's very challenging to conquer it, but you get a huge reward in terms of economy and military. Once you eliminate the Rome's influence in Italy, you'll probably become the most powerful Greek nation in the world. East Greeks would kneel before NEW Alexandros!!

Interesting. So you try to conquer Italy first?
    Illyrian rebels were causing me huge economic loss with just sitting on the border, doing nothing, so I made them my first target. Then I go after Macedonia and KH.
    Last edited by Rad; March 22, 2016 at 02:53 AM.

I took one bordering Illyrian town before launching Italy/Sicily invasion. But it's a minor issue compared to Italy campaign regardless.
    Details of my Epeiros campaign :

1. One bordering Illyrian town. Rebels were eyesore, so I took them first.
    2. Southern Italy / Sicily. I managed to conquer it all within 12 turns. Carthage was an issue to deal with at the final stage of Sicily campaign.
    3. Northern Italy. BLOODY Long, Lasting wars ahead. Rome caused me a great deal of troubles. .

I might try that in 2.2. Pyrrhus is being moved to the Peloponnese though, so it could be more of a challenge to get him there. Leaving Macedonia and KH to fight each other might not be a bad idea. Romans are tough even from the start, so I guess I wont feel too bad blitzing them.