Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Condensed Constitution (formerly in Latin, but yeah...)

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: Condensed Constitution (formerly in Latin, but yeah...)

Well, I am not for the time being. I just wanted to raise awareness for this deep structural problem. Maybe I will come back to this <messianic arrogance> when the Curia is ready for it </messianic arrogance>.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

I meant Pike.

What

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    What
    This
    If you want to streamline it, you could do away with three supporters before going to vote. However, even in organization, it takes at least two people for a proposal to go to vote. Plus, I suggested reducing the the number of threads necessary for elections and votes, but I am guessing that would need to wait until after the proposal complete the votes.
    But I guess it is not important

If you want to streamline it, you could do away with three supporters before going to vote. However, even in organization, it takes at least two people for a proposal to go to vote. Plus, I suggested reducing the the number of threads necessary for elections and votes, but I am guessing that would need to wait until after the proposal complete the votes.
    Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Jesus. It seems that people are eager for new amendments
    Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    This

But I guess it is not important
    If you want to streamline it, you could do away with three supporters before going to vote.However, even in organization, it takes at least two people for a proposal to go to vote.
    I was being sarcastic to make a point. TWC has one extra than what is normal in organizations for an issue to go to vote.

Plus, I suggested reducing the the number of threads necessary for elections and votes, but I am guessing that would need to wait until after the proposal complete the votes.
    Already in the proth! Nothing new here.

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

I'm all for simplicity, but removal of Section II doesn't make the Constitution simpler, but merely shorter, less informative, which I don't think is beneficial. Keep in mind that what is obvious now, won't be obvious six months from now, especially if you remove all references to it.

There already is a gap, because the very first sentence of Section III refers to "the Executive" which isn't defined anymore in your draft. Next, Section III Article II mentions the Hex. Again, what makes you think everyone will ever know what the Hex is and what its prerogatives are? A newcomer may easily be confused by reading that. Another vagueness linked with the removal of Section II: it isn't clear in what limits the Curia operates, what is the scope of influence of the Curia, how many things on this site can be affected by Curial Decisions - this is all gone from your draft.

The same about Section III Article I - removing it isn't a qualitative change, but quantitative one. The Constitution is shorter, sure, but no less complicated. Actually, less information will make things more complicated. Before I was granted citizenship I didn't have much knowledge about how the Curia functions. I imagine new citizens may be in the same situation. Who is going to fill them in? That's an additional job for someone, which is actually more bureaucracy, not less...

My two cents.

Under the patronage of m_1512

As I said above, this is not a proposal for a change of the constitution. I'll keep your points in mind, though, if I ever endeavour to separate the constitution from its by-laws.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

I meant proposal as in act of proposing changes or a draft (or plan) of changes that is proposed. I know it's not a proper amendment proposal.

Under the patronage of m_1512

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Iskar either you make this into a proposal or I will. Your choice
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wudang_clown View Post
    I'm all for simplicity, but removal of Section II doesn't make the Constitution simpler, but merely shorter, less informative, which I don't think is beneficial. Keep in mind that what is obvious now, won't be obvious six months from now, especially if you remove all references to it.

There already is a gap, because the very first sentence of Section III refers to "the Executive" which isn't defined anymore in your draft. Next, Section III Article II mentions the Hex. Again, what makes you think everyone will ever know what the Hex is and what its prerogatives are? A newcomer may easily be confused by reading that. Another vagueness linked with the removal of Section II: it isn't clear in what limits the Curia operates, what is the scope of influence of the Curia, how many things on this site can be affected by Curial Decisions - this is all gone from your draft.

The same about Section III Article I - removing it isn't a qualitative change, but quantitative one. The Constitution is shorter, sure, but no less complicated. Actually, less information will make things more complicated. Before I was granted citizenship I didn't have much knowledge about how the Curia functions. I imagine new citizens may be in the same situation. Who is going to fill them in? That's an additional job for someone, which is actually more bureaucracy, not less...

My two cents.
    A lot of that is just tying up loose ends. "The executive" should be replaced by "The administration" and in the preamble make it clear that the administration is the hexagon council or hex by adding it to the end of the first paragraph with something like "the Administrators of the Hexagon council, hereafter referred to as 'administrators'. Red part would be added. The one section that I don't agree with the removal of is the one of the Tribunal section. First because it makes the following section on Magistrates confusing since you haven't defined what the tribunal is. That being said perhaps it doesn't belong in the section it is located within now. Perhaps moving it to the preamble would make more sense. Also I'd replace section II and have it's new content be Curial Officer with each current curial officer having a article within in.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitution New Section II
    Section II - Curial Officers
    Curial Officers are Citizens who have been elected by the Curia to fulfil a certain role for the site. All Curial elected positions are Curial Officers unless stated otherwise.

Article I Curator
    The Curator shall hold office for a period of three months from the day of their election, carried out by the procedure in Section 3, Article 2. If the Curator is absent (has not logged into the site) for 7 days without giving a notice of absence, is absent for more than 15 days regardless of notice, resigns, or is subject to a successful VoNC, they are automatically removed from office along with any appointed assistants.

Any decisions of the office shall be held over until a replacement is elected. When such a decision is time-limited, time from the moment the office of Curator is empty shall not count towards the limit and will only continue when a new Curator is elected. When the office of the Curator is empty the Censor whose term is closest to completion will organize the election for a new Curator and assume day to day administration of the Curia.

The Curator is responsible for ensuring the Curia's day-to-day tasks are accomplished. Upon entering office the Curator must officially appoint at least one Citizen to fulfil the Curator's role on a planned or unplanned absence, and should the Curator wish, to assist with day to day tasks. No matter who carries out the tasks assigned to the elected Curator, the Curator is the one responsible for seeing that they are done promptly and correctly.

Article II - Censors
    The two Censores act as voting judges in the Triumvirate. Their duty is to manage Citizen behaviour. In addition they oversee the Rostra as per Section 5, Article 2 and pass Popular proposals to the Curia as per Section 3, Article 3. They shall be elected for 3 month terms, by the procedure in Section 3, Article 2. Applicants cannot have received an infraction, or a Curial Warning, in at least one year and must have been Citizens for at least 3 months.

If a Censor is absent (has not logged into the site) for 7 days without giving notice of an absence, is absent for more than 15 days regardless of notice, resigns, or is subject to a successful VoNC, the Censor is automatically removed from office. A new Censor will be selected as per Section 3, Article 2.

In the event there is only one incumbent Censor, resolution of all live cases will be postponed until another one is elected.

Article III - Magistrates
    Two Magistrates shall be elected for 3 month terms by the procedure in Section 3, Article 2. Applicants cannot have received a Moderation Warning, or a Curial Warning, in at least one year.

Magistrates rotate as acting Tribunes, each voting on one of every two cases. Should a Tribune recuse themselves or there is a tie between Tribunes, the other Magistrate respectively votes in their stead or is called to break the tie. Magistrates are terminated by a unanimous vote of the Tribunes.

Remove the corresponding sections for their original place within the constitution. This I feel improves clarity by putting all definitions of offices in one place and the specific areas that describe how they work now only describe how they work. If desired links to the definition can be added to the body of the constitution.
    Last edited by Squid; March 18, 2016 at 11:08 AM.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I haven't yet gone through your proposal (I will, I promise ), although for now I can add that we might want to consider to get rid of numbered sections. We are never going to print the Constitution on paper, and we can perfectly rely on anchor links to jump from one section to another when required (we can, right?).

This would simplify the process of modifying sections in the future, and maybe make the document look less uptight.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; March 18, 2016 at 01:39 PM.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

There's an anchor bbcode that's currently used in the constitution. The numbering is helpful for simplifying how to reference a particular section.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; March 18, 2016 at 05:18 PM. Reason: accidentally edited.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Citizen

Blog Entries

The numbering is helpful for simplifying how to reference a particular section.
    My point is, we could simply reference a particular section with an anchor link.

Instead of "by the procedure in Section 3, Article 2" we would just have "as explained in "Election Procedure"" or whatever, with a link to the secton itself. The only advantage of numbers is to reference sections, but that's a trace of paper printing, here we have a much more potent tool (linking) that does not require tweaking when most changes are done.

My point was, can several references be made to the same anchor? (because I'm not sure that merely using regular links would be so handy). Yes, it's possible:

Summary:

[section] Election procedure: bla bla bla (anchor)

[section] Officers: elected as explained here. (jump to section:election procedure)
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; March 18, 2016 at 05:35 PM.

It is much easier and quicker to write "in Sec X, Art Y" than to look up the anchor label and write "in [jump=<anchorlabel>]XYZ[/jump]".

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    It is much easier and quicker to write "in Sec X, Art Y" than to look up the anchor label and write "in [jump=<anchorlabel>]XYZ[/jump]".
    My point is that if you just give a text with a link, once you have done it, you don't have to change it if you move stuff around in the future or delete sections (for instance, if you delete section 2, and have 10 sections, you would have to rename sections 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 and all their subsections as well as any reference all them, with anchor links in the other hand you can just delete a single section and the -much fewer- references to it and forget about the rest).
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; March 18, 2016 at 05:40 PM.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Sorry Mate, I couldn't resist
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Sed Latinam mihi placet...

I think this is a relatively good idea. Needs work, but it's a start.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12